Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #1  
Make thisbe for something

S/C/G: 254/228/160

Height: 5'8"

Thumbs down Over Eater's Anonymous

Long story short, I've been struggling with my weight at least since I was in 5th grade. I was already wearing a size 12 or 14 in woman's sizes. When I was a teenager, I always had this feeling like I should go to Over Eater's Anonymous. I've definitely done my share of binging but no purging. And then I'd promise myself I'd never do it again because it made me feel so bad.

I don't binge so much now, it's very occasional. But my cravings are what really get me. Yesterday I wanted a burger so bad it was making my mouth water. So I went and got a burger with the works AND fries and regular soda. Today I ate out for lunch and had the option of many healthy sandwiches and salads but I chose a grilled (and I mean with butter like a grilled cheese) roast beef with cheese and mayo, chips, soda, and a cookie.

There are some days when I eat out all three meals and I feel so guilty, but I feel like I'm in somewhat more control. I had brown rice, veggies and chicken for dinner, but no exercise.

I just feel like I have absolutely no control and I'm spiraling again with nothing to grab on to.

Has anyone every been to Over Eater's Anon?
mypunkrockromance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #2  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

No, I haven't been although there's a thread for overeater's anonymous on this forum that you should check out if you're interested.

I used to have the same problem, but I now binge occasionally and it's usually on chips or cake. My "diet" right now is to eat clean, but nothing is off limits. In the past, I would cut out pizza, take out and chips but eventually I would go back to them and with a vengeance so I decided this time to eat everything in moderation (count calories). So far, it's working!

I would highly recommend that you make a daily plan. Not a long term plan, like lose 20 lbs. More like goals for the day. Make it your goal to eat at least one meal that you have prepared at home. One goal to eat veggies and fruits for today. Each day can have a different goal, but once you have accomplished a goal, you feel so much better about yourself and more confident that you can do this! Give yourself a few weeks worth of daily goals and then start incorporating them all together. So everyday, you're going to eat 2-3 healthy meals (and snacks), exercise and drink enough water. All of this all at once will be too much, but try taking it one step at a time.

Good luck!!
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'd suggest you stop giving in to your "addiction." No one "has" to eat a burger and fries just because they want one. You will not die because you have a food craving.

I'd also suggest you plan what you're going to eat and stock up on the right foods, so that you don't find yourself hungry and wondering what you're going to have. It's too easy to make bad choices in that case.

Good luck...
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

In order for successful, steady, consistent, long term weight loss to occur something about your current lifestyle HAS to change. You just may have to work past the discomfort of those cravings. Just because you want something doesn't mean you HAVE to have it. Losing weight and maintaining weight, well there are some restrictions that have to take place. It can't be a free for all and a "but I want it, so therefore I MUST have it." It's okay to tell yourself no!! We're responsible mature adults and we must make responsible and mature decisions. We do it all day long at home, at work, with our money - our food is no different.

The good thing is, the longer you do without those foods that you crave the most, the cravings subside. Every time you give into those cravings, you keep the wants for it alive. You need to kill it by not caving.

Losing weight IS a doable thing for anyone and everyone, regardless of their past history. With hard work, determination and commitment, anything and everything is possible.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 3"

I try and compromise my binges. I would eat the burger, but not fries and chips and substitute bottled water for soda. Most fast food places you can get the carbonated (soda) water for free. So you get the sensation of soda bubbles but not the sugar and calories that go with it. Or if I'm absolutely craving the soda, I only fill a small cup halfway and drink just enough to eat with the burger.

I also avoid all diet sodas and drinks. If I'm really craving soda, a few sips of regular soda can satisfy me. I don't want to eat any artificial sweeteners.
Lyndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

I recently returned to OA and I'm finding it really helpful. A lot of the reasons I binge are emotional and it's helping me to work through some of that. Sometimes sheer will power is just not enough (and I am a VERY willful, stubborn person!).

Please feel free to PM me if you have questions - there is an OA thread, as mentioned, but it's not been very active recently.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote