Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #1  
I'm A Work In Progress!

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/170

Height: 5'4"

Default Mentally, what is the hardest thing about beginning?

I have been exercising and counting my calories and really being aware this week so far, and I have begun to really be proud of myself. It feels great to exercise (or the feeling of accomplishment that I get from it). However, the hardest thing for me mentally is that I still see myself so fat and big and I really just can't stand to look at myself. It's difficult to be so proud on the one hand and so frustrated on the other. I know I need to not be so hard on myself because I have finally committed to do this, but it's difficult. How about you? What's your biggest obstacle?
alyssamichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

For me the hardest part wasn't starting...it was going ON once the new wore off. Once the morning workouts got to be "old hat" and a day came up where we had snacks at work and I couldn't partake.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 315.6/Ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
For me the hardest part wasn't starting...it was going ON once the new wore off.
This is where I am at now.

I also am frustrated with how I look too. I've lost 31lbs but I don't really *see* a difference, but I know that is because I see myself everyday.
justaloozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #4  
moving the chains

S/C/G: 330/284/189

Height: 5'10"

Not acting like a baby when people around me are eating things that don't fit into my daily requirements (I prefer the word requirements to allotments, allotments sounds like prison food and semantics are important).
nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #5  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Probably the hardest part in the beginning was trying to balance my healthy lifestyle and also being social. My family is very social eaters and drinkers so it was (and still is to an extent) difficult to say no and stick to my plan when hanging around them...
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #6  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

Ya, my biggest beginning obsticles were staying motivated when even though the number on the scale was moving, the mirror wasn't reflecting that yet. The trick for me was measuring. I decided that if I couldn't see the loss in the mirror I could at least see it on the tape, thats what kept me going from 220 lbs to 200 lbs because between those weights I was still in a size 20-18 pants and xxl shirts and depressed that all my hard work hadn't made me a super model yet.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #7  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

For me, it was accepting that there is no "end." Even when I get to goal weight, my lifestyle and eating is not going to look all that different to what it is while I'm in the process of getting to goal. This is it. This is how it has to be, if what I want is to be a normal weight.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I still look in the mirror and dislike what I see, a good bit of the time. Some pictures are shockingly awesome, others are horrible. I remember weighing 185ish and still not liking how I looked in the mirror...I can't wait to get there again and see how bad it really is. Probably not that bad.

Hardest part at first was just with the being patient, waiting for the clothes to start getting too big. I lost a size the first month, so it caught up pretty quickly. Hang in there...besides, what's the alternative? Staying at the starting weight? Not a good alternative! LOL.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

1. those first few days being soooo hungry!
2. when the newness wears off (hasn't yet this time, but I know its coming) and you have to keep going even though the passion is gone
HeaterAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #10  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssamichelle View Post
However, the hardest thing for me mentally is that I still see myself so fat and big and I really just can't stand to look at myself.
I'm with you on this one. This is a hard feeling for me to shake even more than half way to goal... I do find that the percentages of time I'm spending either feeling great or feeling fat are shifting for the better. I'm about 60/40 now (great/fat).
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #11  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I think the hardest part for me is the feeling that I'm going to be deprived and nothing is going to be fun anymore. I can't relax and enjoy. I have to be 'on guard' against trigger foods etc.

I agree with Catherine F, there is no end. I lost weight several years ago but had no clue what maintainence was and gained about half of it back.

Facing the fact that the lifestyle I'm used to is unhealthy and will contribute to the yo-yo effect helps to keep me on track. Most of the time...

However, what I have been doing is switching back and forth. I'll be on track for several weeks, then relax, slide back into old habits, then realize what is happening and start again. I hope once I get past this back and forth stage and just stick to my plan I'll be happier and healthier.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am with DCHound that the hardest part was being patient, waiting to see results.

Quote:
I think the hardest part for me is the feeling that I'm going to be deprived and nothing is going to be fun anymore.
I am channeling Robin here but don't see this as being deprived and that nothing is going to be fun. My life is so much more fun than it was 69 pounds ago. Running and playing with my grandsons is well worth not eating some junk. Going shopping or to a movie with friends and not having to worry about being embarrassed by not being able to keep up is so much more fun than eating some food.

I am not deprived now but I was before I started this journey! I could not go for a walk with my husband. I was afraid to travel because I might not fit in the plane seat. I could go on and on.

Think about everything that you have to look forward to! Isn't there something that you can't do now that you want to do in the future?
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #13  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

For me, the hardest part was going to the gym first thing in the morning. I was humiliated for everyone there to see how much weight I had gained in a short amount of time. It was basically 60 lbs. in about 8 months. Before that, I was a thin person and people at the gym would actually ask me for advice on weight loss because they had seen me lose weight before. I had to literally drag myself over there and just have tunnel vision as i walked to my machine. I ignored the stares I thought were probably happening (although I'm not sure if they did since I didn't look up) and I decided to just forget about what everyone thought. That was the hardest part. Also, it was hard to give up the food. It's like losing a best friend really. I didn't know how I would even survive, but I did survive and I feel like now, I'm just doing this for me.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #14  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I think the hardest part in the beginning was trying to make all the new healthy things I was doing habits. It's hard to change out of the rut and start planning out all your meals, it's hard to cook dinner instead of stopping for takeout. It was hard.... now it's just what I do (like vacuuming or brushing my teeth).
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #15  

Height: 5'11"

The hardest for me was actually believing that I could lose any significant amount of weight. Especially in the beginning, because I had to lose at least 25 lbs before I could see the difference in my clothing.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote