Alternachicks - Alternachicks clothes

View Full Version : Alternachicks clothes

carter
10-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Hey folks,

I'm kinda new here and I'm sure this has been talked about before, but: what are some of your favorite sources for clothes that fit both your body and your style? Even though I'm fat and trying to be less fat, I like to get clothes that fit me and help me look my best as I am now - even if it means they won't fit any more next season. It's worth it to me to feel good about myself during this long process, instead of waiting until I'm "done" to get good clothes.

The usual department-store plus-size selections don't normally cut it for me - big circus-tent clothes and long tunics that hide my curves instead of taking advantage of them.

For professional-type clothes I've done very well with Eileen Fisher, but they are pricey and, of course, professional. Very nice clothes, but only for one part of my life. I also wear plenty of clothes from Eddie Bauer, which are well-made and well-fitted, but on the boring side.

I recently learned of a website called Torrid (I won't post a link for fear of running afoul of the spam trappers; Google will find it for you) that has some more playful clothes in larger sizes. Their models are gorgeous too, real beautiful curvy girls. I haven't ordered anything from them yet so I can't speak to the quality.

What about you, where do you get your favorite clothes?

(I'm in the U.S.; please say where you are when you state your sources.)

starfishkitty
10-27-2009, 12:22 PM
I <3 Torrid... :)

mauvaisroux
10-27-2009, 03:24 PM
I live in Canada but I am about a 2 hour drive from the U.S. border so I can drive down for a day trip to go shopping. I have had quite good luck with Macy's and they have quite a lot of good sales. This past summer I picked up to really cool linen wrap dresses - very 50's inspired (Think MadMen tv show style). They were less than $50.00 each.

I usually buy some basic pieces and make them my own by adding details (different belts, appliques, sequins (nice not tacky ones) at the neckline and cuffs, or a bit of lace at the hem of a skirt etc) or by wearing some funky jewellery or other accessories with them.

DivineFidelity
10-27-2009, 05:33 PM
I get stuff from Torrid all the time. All their stuff is great, I go in the store and want to buy EVERYTHING! haha. I can always find a size that fits me and they've got some SUPER cute stuff. They even sell plus sized halloween costumes that ARE actually plus sized...haha.

If you haven't tried anything from Torrid, you should!

Flip
10-29-2009, 02:19 AM
etsy dot com this is a website of independant designers. Several of them do plus size and some focus only on plus size and some custom fit. its fantastic. Click on clothing on the left and then click plus size.. its fun. Check it out. When you look at the images, notice that if you click on it, you see a lot more clothes by that designer. Not just the one pictured. have fun.

Idealmuse
10-29-2009, 02:24 AM
Torrid quality can be hit or miss but I've gotten a lot of stuff there. Lately now that I can fit into some normal sizes I have no clue where to shop anymore it was always Lane Bryant, Torrid and Target.

I went to H&M the other day they had some alternative friendly stuff nothing too out there, but definately had style and a reasonable price. They had plus sizes at one point in time but I didn't see any when I was there last so I don't know if I missed them or if they don't carry them any longer.

Corella191
11-16-2009, 11:12 PM
I absolutely LOVE torrid, i shop there every chance i get! There pants are the most comfortable and most fitted pants ive every worn...

I also wanted to list the store called Dots, they don't sell online but they do have a website, im sure you can just look it up rather easily. They sell up to sizes 24, and they always have the latest fashions In plus size! They also don't sell anything over 24$, ive bought about 5 winter coats there a few weeks ago and they fit like a glove and are just absolutely comfortable!

Fashion Bug is another store to look into as well as Cato's...even the store Maurices sells plus size clothes. Theres plenty of websites and stores out there, it just takes forever to find them...

Dark Sites and Dark side of the net are both good websites to look at for alternative clothing, they have tons of links to clothing stores...definitely worth the look up

katkitten
12-02-2009, 10:36 PM
my only prob with torrid is that the clothes are not all that flattering on me. My arms are huge. I'm huge in general but my arms are literally a whole size larger than the rest of me. I have to buy really baggy scrubs tops because theyare the only ones that will fit there. Torrid usuallyhas very few long sleeve shirts and the short sleeved ones cut off at a very unbecoming place on my arms. Also, most of the dresses are above the knee (mysecond least becoming body part lol)

I like Igigi for dresses, and i tolerate lane bryant and cato....i also find some cute stuff on the sales racks of dillards

PrettyPaula
12-09-2009, 10:11 AM
hey all
im in england, but well i have a bit of a 50s pinup rockabilly look i suppose.

i shop through various places, ebay alot, vintage stalls and shops, charity stores, primark (cheapy uk store) and various other places.

i stick to lots of pencil skirts, floral tea dresses, leopard print and nice accessories make it for me.

i love a wesbite called collectif, and pinup girl clothing. i have my eye on a very sexy bikini by pinup girl clothing :)

IrishRose
12-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Like everyone I'm all about Torrid.
I also LOVE Sourpussclothing.com. Such cute clothing and tons of accessories---they aren't plus sized per se-- but a lot of the brands and styles they have carry up to a 2x.

eroica27
01-03-2010, 05:46 PM
I kind of bounce between Lane Bryant, Hot Topic (Torrids parent company) and I have found sleeveless shirts at Forever XXI in their "Faith 21" brand. Oh to go back to my early goth days when all you needed was black dye and an assortment of needles, thread and safety pins.

IndieSoul
01-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I like thermal shirts, but I layer them to hide the obvious muffin top. Baggy jeans, cargo pants, etc. Both of these look good paired with Converse high tops. I also like baggy sweatshirts with slimmer-fitting jeans.

eroica27
01-04-2010, 11:41 AM
i like thermal shirts. this is gonna sound silly, but i feel sexy in them

Jaimie
01-15-2010, 07:03 PM
I love Torrid. It's basically the only place I buy clothes from anymore, though I do buy some dressier clothes from Lane Bryant. I like that Torrid offers a better selection of alterna clothes. I have every color of the Tripp skinny jeans and love them.

Martina
01-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm in a small tiny town in the United States so I need to get all of my "alternative" clothes online. I get them mostly from The Pyramid Collection and goodgoth.com

melissaw
01-16-2010, 06:42 AM
I agree that Torrid's quality is hit or miss. In fact, I sit here in what was originally a $68 maxi-dress from Torrid that I can now only wear to bed as it is pilly beyond belief. :rolleyes: Mind you, I did not pay original price for it - I rarely do since everything eventually goes on clearance... and they eventually have 50% off clearance sales... and I'm a cheap a-hole. ;) That said - a large portion of my wardrobe came from Torrid, and I *can* say their jeans are fantastic.

chickiechic
01-17-2010, 07:12 PM
I read this really great article about why plus size is so hard to sell and fit... above-average sized bodies just have a lot more variation (are weights are more spread out along the bell curve) than our thinner-than-average counterparts. There is a lot more difference between several 150 lb to 300 lb women than several 100-150 pound women... unless I get my weight under 175 (it's a 16 for me), NOTHING fits right off the rack (and even then, there are only a few designers whose styles really suit my shape). Walmart has been making an effort to keep some plus-sizes in stock, so I can usually find basic cotton or denim pants there, and I can still wear tops in XL (which most dept. stores do carry). I wouldn't call it stylish, but I don't feel too freakish going that route. For work though- ugh. *If* I can find them, simple sheath dresses in stretchier fabrics work OK... any other style usually shows too much cleavage (or lack of it- because my C cups are undersized for plus-sized clothing). Sweaters, shrugs, and wraps are my friend. But it's hard to find those things consistently, so I've gotten in the habit of buying them whenever I see them. That said, I've gotten so frustrated, I once vowed to take sewing classes and start making my own.

RMetalBroad
01-18-2010, 02:08 AM
I HATE Torrid. I loved the place when they opened up a few years back but quickly found out that the sizes were not suited to me. They were suited to plus sized females who had to have enormous boobs, skinny arms and skinny thighs. I have an average sized bust, big arms and big thighs.

They also are very poor quality, the few things I got from there that I liked wouldn't last very long. Hems would unravel, buttons fly off, seams would fall apart all in a matter of weeks. For the high prices I paid I would have expected the clothing to last at least a year.

And there is only so much Emily The Strange or Nightmare Before Christmas stuff a I could handle.

I shop a lot at Ross, it's a discount store like TJ Maxx or Marshalls. I've found Levis for $10, a black $400 Jones New York wool coat for $60, a BCBGMAXAZRIA dress for $20.

Over the years my tastes in clothing has gone less punk/goth and more
"alterna-practical". I grew out of Torrid and Hot Topic fashion ages ago. Yet I still wear mostly black, I will never grow out of that color.

Now a days, when I'm not wearing scrubs, you'll find me wearing converse or motorcycle boots, jeans and an interesting T-Shirt, usually a band shirt like The Pogues or Opeth or a geek shirt from The H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society. When the weather is nice I'll wear a cute dress with bike shorts on underneath (again found at Ross for a steal). I haven't been to Layne Bryant since I moved up to Santa Barbara but I could sometimes find something I liked there, they have the best bras.

melissaw
01-18-2010, 05:27 AM
I have pretty big boobs (42DDD) and have sometimes had the opposite problem at Torrid - especially with lingerie. Anything that fit me in the waist (typically a 0 or 1) was always too little in the boobs. Same goes for anything with buttons. ;) I do sometimes have problems with the arms being tight in clothes that otherwise fit me well. Frustrating.

I mostly need Torrid (or plus size clothing stores in general) for pants/jeans/skirts anyway. I can usually manage to fit any (non buttoning ;) ) top in 'regular' sizes... somehow. I guess that article was really on to something... body shapes are just *so* different.

neon_zephyr
01-18-2010, 06:57 AM
I often shop at Marshalls, Macy's, and Anthropologie. Lately, I've found some nice things at Target, too! I'm in LA, mostly. In the UK, I also like Primark and Topshop. At the moment, I've got clothes in a wide range of sizes in my closet, so I've limited my shopping to particular items, like special events or something. I find it really tough to stay motivated when I can just buy new clothes that fit, so I've removed that option for myself in order to fit into some of the smaller and nicer things that I own.

chickiechic
01-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Is anyone here familiar with pin up girl clothing (not enough posts yet to link, sorry- take out the spaces, and sandwich between a triple-w and a dotcom to visit)? I noticed they go up to 2X... although I would need artificial support to fill out the top, I like them a lot.

dolphinea
01-31-2010, 06:57 PM
I haven't purchased clothes from them yet, but there's several Chinese and Thai sellers on etsy.com I can't wait to buy from. Also found an Israeli designer called Studio Shihar on etsy and I love her stuff, too. I'm going to wait until I'm down to my goal weight to redo my wardrobe.

In the meantime, I'm shopping for interim size stuff at Ross Dress for Less (not online - brick and mortar store) and buying used things off eBay.

Elladorine
02-01-2010, 06:36 AM
I just wanted to point out I found an awesome swim suit at Torrid a few weeks ago, it's black with silver skulls and crossbones all over it, and luckily it fits me decently. :dizzy: I've been taking aqua fitness classes and have gotten so many compliments! It's available online as well. :D

I like a lot of their clothes as a whole but still have trouble finding things that fit me properly (I'm an apple).

Technosexual
02-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi. I'm from Michigan, and my local store of choice is Deb. ( debshops dot com )

They're a semi-trendy shop for "juniors", but, they have a pretty large selection of plus size clothing. I love flared jeans, and they always have them in varying widths. ( I like my flared jeans VERY flared. ) They have jeans, skirts, pjs, t-shirts, tops, and dresses, along with some dressier pants.

I remember shopping in this store when I was young, too.

Their quality kind of varies, I have a hard time finding a style/denim material that I like, and a lot of their denim isn't very thick.

They carry lots of different brands.

I also do have a little trouble finding a pair of jeans that fit me well. Some are just way too long, some fit in the thighs, but not in the waist, some fit in the waist, but not in the thighs.

It's worth it when I find those perfect pair of jeans, though.

They're also cheap, and they have lots of sales/clearance.

The last time I shopped there, I was shopping for a whole outfit to wear to my boyfriend's work party.

I found a nice darker pink halter top with lace, a lighter pink 3/4s sleeve ruched jacket, and a pair of jeans that fit great. All of this cost me under $30. :D

I can't wait to shop in their non-plus section, LOL.

JasonsLea
02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
I never have money to go shopping but I love browsing and dreaming. :D I love the clothes on Pinup Girl Clothing, Torrid, ModCloth. We have these stores called Debs and Dots and they have some really pretty plus size clothing. I also like Lane Bryant and Fashion Bug.

I'm going to check out the links ya'll posted!

JasonsLea
02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Ooooh yeah, I also love Ebay!

SalaamDementia
02-01-2010, 05:36 PM
I have the hardest time finding clothes that fit me right. I'm 6 foot tall and if I get pants that fit the length of my legs they don't fit in the waist.

I'm just a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal. I'd love to wear something more fun, but I'm just not comfortable in most of it. I used to have some fun pants from Hot Topic, but they don't fit me anymore. :(

I love thrift stores though, I find some of the coolest clothes there. I can't wait to lose some weight and look awesome in some true alternative clothes that are a little more form fitting and revealing. ^_^

generatrix
02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
GOTHIC PLUS website looks fantastic for us truly plus sized gals (meaning over size 16 american). i haven't tried it yet, though... i notice that it's just a little bit more money to get stuff specially made!

dolphinea
02-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Has anyone had something from Alloy.com? Curious about their quality.

farn00a57
02-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Try B&Lu, or bandlu.com, it's not really goth or alternative but they do have really nice plus size clothes and the thing is they are pretty good quality and unique. i think they're a pretty small company so you know that you aren't going to be sharing the same wardrobe with thousands of others. I have probably about half of my clothes from there. They have quite a few vintage styles as well for those like me who are more into the 40's 50's retro look. But not all of their clothes are vintage looking. I'd check them out. I usually shop only at Torrid and B&Lu....every where else it seems like it's "old fat people" clothes.

farn00a57
02-14-2010, 06:30 PM
dolphinea, I'm going to be purchasing a few items from alloy.com pretty soon for an upcoming vacation I'm going on. As soon as I get the clothes I will report back to this page with the quality of the material. :)
~Ashley

LadyStarDust
02-20-2010, 07:20 PM
sourpussclothing.com (gothabilly, horror)
dracinabox.com (goth all sorts)
goodgoth.com/plussizes.htm
adoreyourcurves.com/
babygirlboutique.com/plus-size-clothing.html(pin up)

for more normal and casual
evogues.com/

for custom well made corsets
myspace.com/obsidian_lace
and for custom 'fluffy' boot covers/skirts/cuffs
tragicbeautiful.net/index.php

RockerMommy
02-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Fashion to Figure is a great store. all types of clothes very cute very affordable... torrid is awesome too but can be expensive... I like that you can get the plus size version of some things in Hot Topic at Torrid. Lane Bryant is nice too but not edgey and VERY expensive.

Paja
03-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Ever since I stopped dressing actually goth when I graduated high school over 50% of my wardrobe has been from Torrid. I haven't had too many problems with quality- the one thing I can think of that I really wore through was a skirt where the waistband eventually unraveled, but that was after about 4 years of wearing it more than twice a week.

Other than that, I'm all about scouring Buffalo Exchange (a vintage/alternative thrift store; mostly up and down the west coast, with a few other stores) for things that are big enough.