Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Plain low-fat yogurt? Pumpkin?

View Full Version : Plain low-fat yogurt? Pumpkin?

MindiV
10-27-2009, 07:27 AM
I've been eating plain, non-fat yogurt for a while now. A lot of times I'll mix it with a teaspoon or so of sugar-free jello mix for a little variety, and yesterday we had some light cherry pie filling left, so I put half a serving of it in my yogurt. Yum.

Today I'm in a mood for something Thanksgiving-y....I've never made pumpkin pie, so I'm asking what's the difference between the canned Pumpkin and pumpkin pie mix? Does the mix TASTE like pumpkin pie filling? Think a little would be good in yogurt?

VermontMom
10-27-2009, 07:39 AM
Hi Mindi :) Pumpkin pie mix already has the sugar in it, I'm not sure if it already has the spices...How does it look calorie-wise? I would think a small amount shouldn't be too bad, probably would only need a tablespoon or so. And pumpkin is very vitamin-dense.

I have a cup of nonfat unflavored yogurt every day, I've been putting the blackberries I picked late summer and froze, into it with some Splenda. Soooo good :)

MindiV
10-27-2009, 07:47 AM
I believe the can said 1/3 cup is 90 calories...and I'd be using a fraction of that. I've been CRAVING pumpkin pie...particularly the Pumpkin Pie Blizzard from Dairy Queen. Maybe if I mix all this together and stick it in the freezer a while I'll get the same sort of effect for about 600 fewer calories!

VermontMom
10-27-2009, 07:54 AM
THat does sound good! I had a 3FC friend here who used to make a crustless pumpkin pie, the calorie count was so much lower due to no pastry crust..I'll google it :)

VermontMom
10-27-2009, 07:56 AM
ahh.. the wonders of the internet! :) and check out the source at the bottom!

Crustless Pumpkin Pie

1 POINT
per serving

Ingredients:

1 can pumpkin (15 oz)
1 can evaporated skim milk (12 oz)
3/4 cup egg substitute (or 3 egg whites)
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 C. Splenda (or sugar) or to taste

Instructions:

Combine all ingredients and beat until smooth.

Pour into a 9" sprayed pie pan

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, and then at 325 for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Serves 8
Whole Pie: 8 points (or ONE pt. for 1/8 pie)

TIP!
Top this pie with a little fat free Cool-Whip for even more of a treat! Counts as a vegetable serving and high in fiber!

Source: From posting on 3FC's site by Daniel1953

MindiV
10-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Sounds GREAT! I may tell my brother I'm bringing the pumpkin pie to Thanksgiving this year....

nelie
10-27-2009, 10:47 AM
I make 'pumpkin pie' oatmeal quite a bit. Pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix) and 'pumpkin pie' seasonings mixed together with a little vanilla. Add that to any hot grains such as oatmeal with unsweetened almond milk and microwave. It comes out tasting pumpkin pie like and it is a nutritious breakfast.

MindiV
10-27-2009, 10:52 AM
All I could get was the 100% pumpkin, and not the pumpkin pie mix. So I'll be adding some cinnamon and a little sweetener, probably. But I LOVE the oatmeal idea! I've been looking for ways to make the plain stuff better...trying that tomorrow too!

nelie
10-27-2009, 12:19 PM
mindiv - I've never had 'pumpkin pie mix' but you can also buy a jar of seasonings called 'pumpkin pie' seasonings. I think it is cinnamon, nutmeg and a couple other spices. You could also google to see what spices go in a pumpkin pie. I also make gingerbread oatmeal with pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. I don't use sweetener but I find adding a little vanilla helps bring out the flavors.

JulieJ08
10-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I make 'pumpkin pie' oatmeal quite a bit. Pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix) and 'pumpkin pie' seasonings mixed together with a little vanilla. Add that to any hot grains such as oatmeal with unsweetened almond milk and microwave. It comes out tasting pumpkin pie like and it is a nutritious breakfast.

I do that for much of the winter :)

Teachyrchildren
10-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Oooh, Thanks for the great pumpkin and oatmeal ideas! I usually have yogurt and fruit for breakfast, but have been meaning to throw on some oatmeal now that the weather is turning.

CyndiM
10-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Last weekend I made sf pumpkin butter in my crockpot. I seasoned it generously with pumpkin pie spice. Now I'm mixing 1/3 c of that with 1/4 c lf plain yogurt and a little squirt of agave. It's amazing - a cross between pumpkin pudding and pumpkin pie filling. Makes an amazing mid-morning snack for very few calories.

JulieJ08
10-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I've stirred a little pumpkin butter into my yogurt, but never tried actual pumpkin puree. Although I did try some sorta off the cuff little custards, which were decent but not ready for prime time, so to speak.