WW Clubs and Groups - #224 Bale of Turtles Scaring Up A Weight Loss!

Itryharder
10-26-2009, 06:43 PM
:carrot: :welcome3: We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)

Itryharder
10-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Hi Turtles, This weekend was tough for me and I may see a gain at the scale this week. The food for the party was yummy, but I also overate on Sunday as well. Ugh. Well, today has been a low point day even though I ate out twice. At Applebee's I had a WW dinner and at Dunkin' Donuts (I had had a bone density scan and was starving!) I had a healthy eggwhite scramble on flatbread. That pointed out to 6 points, and I'm not sure I'd get another one, but if you figure that was brunch for me, it wasn't too many points. Now I'm home for the evening and I'll work on drinking water and staying away from food. Wish me well!

Here's to :cheers: to all of us now that the holiday season is almost officially started with Halloween just a few days away. I'm stocked with pretzel bags for the trick-or-treaters and that won't tempt me. We get over 130 kids each year and with Halloween being on a Saturday, we may get even more children. Wow!

Okay, Ladies/Turtles let's do this!
Love, Judy
234.6/?/190 :cool:

bandit2
10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Hi turtles:

Judy - good luck this week at the scale. Hopefully, you will be fine.

For Halloween so far I haVe bought uneatable things to go with the regular treats I haven't bought yet. Too tempting - I will pick up candy Sat a.m.
I get about 100 kids - and then I am heading to dance, so that should be fun.
Dressing up as a 50's gal!

Hope all you other turtles are having a good OP day!

CherryAutumn
10-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Good morning Turtles. It is cold here just getting into the 50's but we are warm inside. The kids were getting over their colds but with this nasty weather they are still coughing off and on.

Well weigh in today and i am at 241.2 down from i think it was 243 so that is good. And on Wii Fit Plus today my Piggy Bank that keeps track of time spent and calories turned Gold because i have excersized a total of 10 hours since we bought it on October 14th i think it was.

Judy- Just keep on keepin on. Hopefully the scale will be kind.

Bandit- I know candy can be tempting. Just keep putting it off.

Hello to MsMeri, Princess, and LinS
If i forgot anyone so sorry

bandit2
10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Cherry - that is a fabulous weight loss & kudos on the excercise. That's the way to do it!

Lin S
10-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi,

Judy, you may do better than you think, since you reported a couple of really low point days on the last thread. You might consider trying to eat around the same number of points each day. I've noticed that you tend to try to eat really low, but then compensate by overeating on other days. It may all balance out in the end, but you might be able to avoid the emotional roller coaster by staying more consistent from day to day. It's just an observation and a thought. Only you can figure out if there's merit in it. :)

Bandit, I hope you have a great time at the dance. Sounds like fun. I hope those leaves you raked give you a good result at the scale. It makes all that work pay off just a little bit more. :cool:

Nice to have you posting more, Cherry. Super loss for you. :bravo: Way to go with the exercise, too. You're doing great!!:D

I'm doing just fine this week. I've noticed that weekends seem to be a challenge, which is why I set my weigh in day as Friday. Then I have maximum weekly points to use for all the weirdness that I face on Saturday and Sunday. Then the rest of the week is usually pretty easy. :)

Halloween won't be a problem for me. No candy in the house because we're not going to be home. We're cooking dinner at the San Jose Family Shelter. It will be so much fun! Our church signs up for the 5th week in those 4 months that have 5 weeks and I've been able to help out a couple of times. I look forward to it. Paul's not the fanatical cook I am, but he enjoys helping out, too.

Wasn't one of you planning to do NaNoWriMo this year? Did you sign up? I signed up and an idea has been keeping my brain busy. I don't know if I'll finish. Life often gets in the way. I won once when we lived in Salinas and I didn't have very much else to do. But, I'm going to try to schedule specific times to write each day and we'll see if I can reach that 50K goal.

Keep on turtlin'! :balloons:
:coffee: :chef: :comp: :write: :book2: :corn:

Itryharder
10-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Cherry, Weigh to go! Great reaching a great level on Wii and congrats and :bravo: and :cp: on weight loss. You can do this!

Lin, lots of good ideas---yeah, I'm getting in a bad habit of overeating on weekends and compensating by undereating on Monday and Tuesday. I'm almost doing the "wendie" plan. LOL, but it's not funny if I mess up my weight loss. Thanks for the tips.

Bandit, have a ball at the dance. Going as a 50's gal is so perfect----it's a costume but you won't look gory and you'll look so cute! Yay. :idea:

All goes well here today. Spending some nice time with my dh and then getting some things done as well. Lin, I'm the one thinking of signing up for Nanowrimo. Maybe I'll head to that site now and sign up. Then I can learn more about it. I don't see how I can possibly add that to what I'm doing, but WW's says what you think you bring about, so if I think I can commit to writing each day, then I will.

Good luck to us all. Turtles keep on turtlin' along!
Judy
234.6/?/190 :cool:

bandit2
10-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Morning, turtles:]

Lin/Judy - weekends have always been a challenge for me as well. I find if I can stay on track & get in my exercise during the week, I still will lose weight
even with some "extras's" on the weekend. My extra is usually drinks with snacks.

Princess - where are you?

Cherry - hang in there - you are doing great!

As for myself, I got in 30 laps of walking last night then hot-tub and quick swim. Have my weigh in tonight & hoping to be down at least 1#
But sometimes results are not what we hope for. But I have pretty much stayed on track this week, so here's hoping!

Have a great "turtle day" everyone!

msmeri
10-28-2009, 09:16 AM
The idea that you need to drink 8 glasses a day is a myth, right? Although the amount of water you should consume varies from person to person, there are a lot of reasons to make sure you're getting enough. If you're looking for a few, a new study confirms that water drinkers tend to have better diets.

The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, used data from a government health survey of 12,000 Americans to make their conclusions. Researchers found that "people who drank more "plain water" tended to eat more fiber, less sugar and fewer calorie-dense foods," versus those who got their fluids from other beverages (such as soda, juice, milk, etc.) This doesn't mean that drinking water made them healthier eaters. But it does show a relationship between drinking water and a healthy diet.

Drinking water in place of higher calorie beverages can also help with weight loss and weight management. Looking for an easy way to lose over 14 pounds this year? Instead of having your daily Coke with lunch, try a glass of water instead. You'll save 140 calories per can, which really adds up over time. Drinking water is also important as you increase your level of physical activity, can help you feel fuller throughout the day, and is a simple goal you can set for yourself. Staring with simple goals can help you build momentum to reach bigger goals when adopting a healthy lifestyle.

:drool:

LaurenH
10-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey, folks are doing great here! So good to see.

Lin, I didn't know you won NNWM in years past. Congratulations! What does it mean to "win"? Does it mean you wrote the most? Or other participants liked your story the best? Or ...?

I'm suddenly really wondering if I should sign up for this. We're going to be gone for a week during the month, so I doubt I'd hit the goal. But I really like the idea of something making me write every day. Hmmm.

Have lost a few more pounds of vacation fluff since I last posted; just 3 more to go. Hope to get those off before Thanksgiving, when I will no doubt gain some back. Sheesh! (We'll be at my dad's house for almost a week.) Well, at least I am learning how to maintain, and that's never a bad thing. I'm learning about turning around gains before they become permanent, too, which is also good.

We had a little incident with a deer while driving home the other night. It ran onto the road and slammed into the side of our car. So yes, it hit US, we didn't hit IT. Very startling, to say the least. Michigan is #2 in the country in deer accidents, interestingly enough. Anyway, we were fine, but the car needs about $1200 worth of work. Unfortunately, we have a $1000 deductible, so there goes that money. When I heard that, I no longer felt sorry for the stupid deer.

Anyway! Have been having good eating days since the last time I posted, which has been good. Don't know what that was all about.

Must run; have a great, OP day, everyone. We're worth it!

Lin S
10-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Lauren, I'm on my way out the door, but I thought I'd answer your NaNo question. Winning means writing the whole 50K (or more) words in a month. The basic rules are that you can do any prep for the novel before Nov. 1, but you can't start the actual writing until 11/1. Being gone doesn't mean you can't win. It really only takes an hour or two to bang out the 1667 words per day it takes to reach the goal and if you have a laptop, you can take it with you. Even if you don't make 50K, it's still a blast.

Itryharder
10-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Lauren, :goodscale: weigh to go! :bravo: for losing some more of those pounds. Your weight on your ticker scale is fabulous! Hey, why don't you sign up for NaNoWriMo? It could be a blast. I'm going to give it a shot.

Bandit, how did you make out at your WI? You're sounding determined again.

I chickened out and didn't WI yesterday. I was up a tiny bit and I really don't want to see gains on my tracker. Silly, but that's how I feel right now. My challenge this week will be to stay tight on program to lose weight and not take this week as a laid-back week to stay the same. I need determination and a bit more exercise. (Dopey stuff like having a cyst removed and not wanting to pop the stitches, and then before this I had hurt my elbow, etc. etc) so my October calendar is not loaded with exercise stickers the way my September calendar is. However, did I tell you that my blood work came back so much better than in March? All numbers are lower except my HDL which is higher. Yay! I still have weight to lose and I still am at risk and can't sit on my laurels (or fanny) and say I did it, I'm done! But it is encouraging to eat better, exercise more and have the results be concrete and better with the blood test results.

Okay, gotta run and get some stuff done before dh wakes up.
Judy

Lin S
10-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Hi,

Judy, it's so :cool: that you signed up for NaNo. NaNo isn't hard if you don't think of it as 50,000 words. If you think of it as "average 1667 words each day", it becomes more manageable because your mind can cope with the smaller number. It doesn't seem as impossible. That's kind of like we have a lot of weight to lose. Setting a goal of 5, 10, 20 pounds makes it doable. Setting a goal of 100+ seems impossible. You can do it. :)

Ms. Meri, thanks for the info on water. That's one of the habits I don't even think about. It's nice to have one thing that's easy. :p But, how are you doing?

Bandit, way to go with your exercise. You're really showing determination these days. I'm looking forward to cheering the results! :)

Lauren, you travel often, so learning to get back to your regular routine quickly when you get home, getting those vacation pounds back off, and maintaining are important things for you. :cp: I'm sure your determination to keep on to your ultimate goal will get you there. :)

Go ahead, sign up for NaNo. Start on Sunday. If it works out that you don't make 50K, so what? You'll have had a great time trying and you will have reconnected with your "inner fiction writer". The key to writing 50K, along with setting smaller goals, is to give yourself permission to write utter garbage. Let whatever words hit the page first stand. And go ahead and write silly stuff as filler while you figure out what the next thing is. Sometimes the silly stuff turns out to be good, useable stuff. If you like the story you end up with, there's always NaNoEdMo (I forget what month that is) to get you motivated to revise/edit the NaNo novel. :devil:

I'm doing OK. We took my youngest son to the doctor. Turns out it's a virus-caused throat ulcer and should clear up on its own. But, it was right at dinnertime and they voted for Cheesecake factory. I'm learning how to deal with restaurant meals and noticing where they hide fat. Butter on the hamburger bun to make it crispy when they toast it. I'd be happy with it not toasted and without butter and will ask for it that way next time. I haven't figured out the points, but I think I'm OK because I made good choices overall and was generous with the veggies and frugal with everything else.

Keep on turtlin'! :balloons:
:chef: :corn: :coffee: :write: :comp: :book2:

bandit2
10-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi turtles:

Lauren - too bad about you deer incident, glad you weren't hurt. Always something to take $$ out of our pockets.

Judy - hoping you get back on track. I know how you feel about the scale being up - really is frustrating. But when you don't want to go is when we need to go the most.

As for myself - I was down 1# this week & was happy with that.
Just to be down is motivating for me. I struggled all summer and really feel back in control finally. I have lots of social things right now, and probably should be just drinking club soda instead of wasting so many points on alcohol. Tonight, I am going to comedy club with the girls & will try doing that.

Hope everyone else is having a good week.

Itryharder
10-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Hi, fast chat from me.
Lauren, that deer incident is miserable. Glad you weren't hurt, sorry about the cash.

Bandit, weigh to go! :goodscale: Being a pound down right now is wonderful. You're in the midst of lots of social things and that's your life. The good part is figuring out how to have fun socially and lose weight. You're doing it! :cheers:

The overeating I did Sunday night was stress-based and I hate when I do that. I was actually standing up in my kitchen eating out of a container. not smart and not something I want to do. But I did it and now I'm back in control. Someone not too long ago said that on this weight loss journey there will be ups and downs-----vacation, stress, good times and celebrations--that can throw us for a loop. I'm doing the best I can, enjoying less stress than I have had in the past, and am figuring out how to WI or not WI. I always go to my mtg. because I've got good friends there and my leader is great.

Yes, MsMeri, how are you?
Cherry, same.
Princess, we miss you. Come on back.

Judy
234.6/?/190 and deeper into onederland :cool:

LaurenH
10-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Bandit, alcohol brings my weight loss to a screeching halt. It's too bad; I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and a glass of scotch on the weekends. But I rarely indulge anymore. Your social life sounds like a lot of fun.

Judy and Lin, you're a great cheering team for NaNo! I signed up yesterday, before I read your posts, but of course you've confirmed my decision. I'm excited and looking forward to it! Talked with Mr. Twitch yesterday about it, since it'll require a time commitment on my part; he was very supportive and is intending to spend his entire weekends next month pursuing getting yoga teaching certification. So that works out well.

Lin, loved the comparison between NaNo and our weight loss journeys -- doing things in increments. Very smart.

Judy, woo-hoo on that bloodwork!! That's AWESOME! :carrot:

Doing fine. TOM looms, so there's that. But I don't really bloat anymore, and the scale is holding steady. Took a nice walk yesterday evening with DH ... I love walking this time of year. Shuffling through piles of leaves, with the moon peeking through the branches above ... woke up this morning to dense fog. Perfect for Halloween!

Have a great day, everyone.

bandit2
10-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Morning, turtles:

Judy - you are doing great, we all have detours along this journey - that is part of lives. Hang in there!

Lin/Lauren - you sound like you are on the right track. Keep up the good work.

Cherry/Princess - good luck this week!

Msmeri - thanks for all the helpful information!

Went to comedy club last night & that was really fun. I just drank club soda with lime & we ordered a 2 plates of nachos to share between 5 ladies - but the scale still went up abit this morning. So have to be extra careful over the weekend!

Almost time for the kiddies to come out for halloween. I am buying my candy today so won't be too much time to eat it.

Here's to "turtle power" - we all have it!

Lin S
10-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi!

:bravo: Bandit! You posted after my last post so I didn't get to see your weight loss yesterday. Great job! :carrot:

I have a suggestion for you re: the club soda idea. Club soda has so much salt in it that I can't drink it. It tastes like fizzy salt water to me. So, your up on the scale may be water retention due to the extra salt. I prefer to spend the money on sparkling water like San Pellegrino or Perrier or whatever they have in stock. They often have some sodium, but usually a smaller amount than club soda, so they're less likely to cause you to retain water and they're better for your overall health. And they're at most comparably priced with alcohol. :)

Judy, maybe you ought to consider doing what Lauren does--don't eat anywhere except at the kitchen/dining room table. Having to take the food out of the refrigerator/pantry, put it on a plate, take silverware and a napkin and sit down to eat makes it a real decision to eat. And it gives you lots of opportunities to question whether you're actually hungry or you're bored, stressed, tired, etc. My trick is to keep very little "grab and eat" foods in the house. (I keep mostly Kashi TLC bars because they have between 1.5 and 3 points and are super filling.) If I want to eat, I have to make it, so I usually don't eat unless I'm really hungry. :hug::hug::hug: Stress eating and other emotionally charged eating are habits that are particularly difficult to break. You're making progress, so give yourself a big :cp: for that.

Today is my weigh in day and I had a very nice surprise. I ate a bit more than I have been, but well within points. My activity was down just a bit because I worked from home Wednesday, but had a couple of trips to the post office which added about 20 minutes to my Monday and Thursday walks. Anyway, I lost 3.5 pounds this week, down to 217. When Paul and I were walking the track I couldn't break the 220 barrier. It's been years since I weighed less than 220. So I'm patting myself on the back today. :D:dance:

Keep on turtlin'! And in honor of Halloween: :haphal:

:comp: :chef: :coffee: :write: :book2: :corn:

Itryharder
10-30-2009, 03:28 PM
LIn, :goodscale: weigh to go! Here's :cheers: to breaking a new barrier!
Wow, that must feel so good!!!!! :bravo: :hugs: What a great loss!

Always glad to have a pep talk and I'm right back on track. As a matter of fact, I postponed my WW WI until this morning where I was down .4#. I like that a lot! Now I'll be super careful (just ate the most delicious cauliflower soup for lunch) and will enjoy the weekend and stay OP.

Happy Halloween to us all! Enjoy the kids and get rid of that candy! LOL.
Have a great weekend.
Judy
234.6/194/190 and deeper into onederland :cool:

LaurenH
10-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Congrats, Lin! Another wonderful loss. You're doing great!

Judy, good for you, too! Your stats are fabulous.

Bandit, yup, between the nachos and the club soda, you're probably holding water. You'll de-bloat in no time.

Well, I didn't do so well at the work potluck today. Had my lunch as planned, then tried bites of pretty much everything else! Finished it off with a glass of scotch tonight, sitting outside on this balmy evening with DH. Ah, well. It might take me just a teensy bit longer to lose the last of this vacation fluff.

Have a fun Halloween, everyone. DH and I are planning to hit a local historic cemetery!

msmeri
10-31-2009, 10:44 AM
:nono:

Just think after today
it will be a NEW Month!

Fresh start if ever I saw one!
:dizzy::devil::fr::m::yikes::sumo::goodluck::belly :

bandit2
10-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi everyone:

Lin - thank you about the club soda. Never would have thought of that. I just keeping thinking it must be just the alchohol. So will keep that in mind.
Nice job on the weight loss!

Judy - nice job too on the weight loss! Keep it going.

Lauren - hoping you get back on track.

Msmeri - hope you are doing good.

Tonight, giving out candy (going to buy shortly) then a fellow is coming by and we might go to dance or just hang out & have quiet evening. Think I am due for one of those, just sit around & get to know him better evening.

Anyway, have a great Halloween & "Back away from the bowl of candy"

Have fun!!

Itryharder
10-31-2009, 04:14 PM
MsMeri, great incentive to start a new month, new beginning!

Lauren, sitting on a porch with a scotch suddenly sounds devine. We've got to enjoy the journey along the way, right?

Bandit, have a great evening and I agree-------back away from the candy!

My dh and I are giving out pretzel bags this year-----but the poor kids. There must be quite a few others doing the same thing because the trick or treaters had more pretzels than candy. Oh my goodness. Oh well, I really can't have any kind of candy in the house but the square wrapped dark chocolate I allow myself to have one of daily. At one point it's a bargain and I feel much in control when I do that.

Okay---gotta run----have a great weekend. Here's :idea: and :grouphug: for my fellow NaNoWriMo'ers.
Judy
234.6/194/190 :cool:

msmeri
11-01-2009, 08:27 AM
Soda Drinkers, Beware

Studies now correlate an increase in certain health risks with soda consumption. For four years, researchers tracked the soda drinking habits of 50,000 women. When women went from drinking one regular soda drink a week to at least one a day, they gained an average of 10 pounds during the four year period. An increase in body weight was also seen when consuming fruit drinks, but not with diet soft drinks. In another study of 90,000 women, those who drank soda or fruit drinks daily had about twice the risk of developing diabetes compared with those who drank soda less than once a month.

Currently, the federal government is considering its first-ever warning that soft drinks can cause unhealthy weight gain. While soda sales have nearly doubled during the past 20 years, so has the percentage of obesity. Battle lines are being drawn and the debate is heating up.

:sp:

Lin S
11-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Hi!

I hope you all had a good Halloween. I had a fabulous time and managed to keep the eating reasonable. My friend who plans the Family Shelter meals dosen't do low fat, but she does do a lot of veggies, so it worked out OK. Now I have to manage my share of the leftovers. They're especially welcome because I can use the cooking time for NaNo. Bet you all thought I'd never be glad to give up cooking time for something else, but writing trumps pretty much everything. :D That's why I'm doing NaNo this year. I haven't been writing and I miss that.

I've mentioned the Weight Watcher online site is amusing sometimes because they program it for specific instances and you get weird contradictions in their advice. This week it complained that I'm losing too fast, because it talks about "average loss of 2 pounds a week or loss" but only looks at one week's weight loss and pops up the message. The weight loss tracker calculates your average and mine since I started is 1.1 pounds, well within the safe guidelines. But, the suggestion is to add more points because of the large loss this week. On the other hand, it also wants me to recalculate my points, adjusting them down because of the actual weight I'm at--going under 220. So--it suggested both that I increase and decrease my points the same week!! My point is that we have to use our brains, educate ourselves, and make good decisions, not just follow what we're told because no one else knows our habits, needs, etc. as well as we do. I decided not to change anything. I'll adjust my points when I hit a plateau. As long as I'm losing, I think it's best to stick with where I am.

Yay, Judy! Nice that you ended up with a loss. I like your one point bargain of dark chocolate, but I'm a truffle fan. I also love caramels, so next time I replenish my stock, I'm getting some of those, too. Godiva gems are small versions of their truffles and caramels with milk or dark chocolate around the filling and each is 1 point. Very rich and satisfying when I want a chocolate fix. :D

Ms Meri, thanks for the stats on soda. It's interesting. So, how are you doing? :)

Lauren, you ate your planned lunch and bites of everything. What if you hadn't brought your lunch? I'm thinking that lunch + bites may be less overall than if you had just eaten pot luck food. You did great to plan in advance and bring your lunch. Maybe next time you'll only eat bites of the most fabulous stuff. Or take a look and see if you want to save the lunch you brought for another day because there's plenty of food that fits your plan at the pot luck. Essentially, using your lunch as a back up plan. I don't know. I'm just thinking you're needlessly feeling down, when actually you did a lot right. :hug: :hug: Hope your first day of NaNo's going well. I know you're not usually a fast writer, but you can do this. :)

You're welcome, Bandit. Hang in there. You're doing really well. :hug:

Keep on turtlin'! In honor of NaNo: :write:
:coffee: :corn: :comp: :book2: :chef: :balloons:

Itryharder
11-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Hi Turtles, :grouphug:

LIn, I have to say that I share your amusement at WW's online services. I do my tracking online and like that feature very much since I am probably eight years old inside and like the smiley faces I receive when I eat the right amount of healthy food choices. But, I have met the same silliness that you have. I remember specifically one week after counting points, exercising, etc. and doing everything right for several weeks with very little loss at the scales, I finally lost a little over three pounds. Yay! I thought. Nay! thought Weight Watchers. It took me aback for a second, but now I've gotten to the point where I can predict the "advice" the machine will give me. The feature I do like is the charting and the fact that I can go back over the whole year and see where I've done well and where I've hit snags. I'm with you with the silly recommendations since the machine isn't factoring in the whole picture. By the way, :goodscale: and :bravo: again for you! It's great seein you hone in on 200# You go girl!

I've had quite a bit of stress here and although my food hasn't been perfect, it's been controlled and I'm very happy with that. Members of my family are dealing with swine flu and it's been disconcerting. My dh :hb: is coming up this weekend and we've decided to cancel a get together and let everyone get healthy and we'll have a :hb: cake later in the month. I think I will show a tiny weight loss at my official WI at WW's this Wednesday. That's the trick-----keep it moving and move it downward. I'm back to my :tread: and toning tape and it makes me feel good about myself.

Princess, chime in when you can. We miss you.
Cherry, how are you and your little guys doing?
Best of luck to all our Turtles. It's a beautiful day here in New York and I hope the sun's shining wherever you are.

Judy
234.6/194/190 and deeper into onederland :cool:

bandit2
11-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Hi turtles:

Judy - good luck tomorrow at the scales. You are doing great!

Nice & sunny up here today, which is nice since yesterday was rainey.

Got in a 2 mile walk Sun & Mon evening, so feel good about that. Will miss tonight since I have a "epicure party" with the ladies. Never been to once of these - apparently it is spices & herbs & you get to taste test things.

Have my weigh in tomorrow & I think I will be OK even though I had way too many drinks halloween, but have stayed away from the candy. All my leftover candy is in my daughters room out of site, for her to take back for her & her roomates.

Have a good "turtle day"

CherryAutumn
11-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi Turtles,
Well it is weigh in time this morning. I am down -0.4 to 240.8. Not much but much better than going up. Every one is still coughy and runny nosed. It just doesn't seem to go away and is driving me nuts. Glad to hear everyone is doing well.

Itryharder
11-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Cherry :goodscale: :cp: :bravo: Weigh to go! You're doing great to lose weight while dealing with sniffles and little guys. :grouphug: to keep on treating yourself well and keep on keepin' on.

Bandit, I hope your WI is a good one. Like you , I find keeping candy in the house is almost torture. My dh bought one bag of fun sized candy in a flavor he didn't like much (and I love) and in my stress yesterday I had two of them. Now that was only four points which I counted in, and I didn't eat the whole bag which has certainly happened in the past. I noticed the empty bag in the trash this morning which either means he ate the rest last night or he decided to toss the bag. In either case, I don't have those yummy devils LOL to worry about any more.

Good luck to everyone and keep on keepin' on!
Judy
234.6/194/190 :cool: and deeper into onederland
Am off to do my twenty minute toning tape. :tread:

Lin S
11-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi!

Judy, being in control during this obviously stressful time is a major reason to celebrate. You go!! :bravo: Glad you're getting that toning video in. It makes a huge difference. :carrot:

Bandit, yay for the walking. And yay for handling the candy in a positive way. :dance:

Cherry, way to go!! :carrot::dance:

Good going, everyone! :cp:

I've had a difficult week for various reasons. I'm grateful for the COBRA, because the plan is a good one and Paul got his blood pressure medication prescription renewed finally. He had one of those headache things again. Now, we have to put a bit of pressure on the doctor to deal with the headache, not just the blood pressure.

Anyway, dinner was a challenge. We chose the restaurant because Paul needed to find a place with good soup, which was all he could keep down yesterday. The restaurant had a special three-course meal for a nice, low price. Our dinner ended up being only $20, before tax and tip. But the things I really wanted to eat would not be a point-friendly meal. In the past, I'd have eaten too many points by choosing small amounts of everything. But that way leads to disaster. So, I chose the dish I wanted the most. Then I chose the lowest calorie appetizer-the vegetable soup, which turned out to be a wonderful minestrone. I had the butternut squash ravioli with shrimp. The tomato cream sauce was the downfall on this dish. However, the soup was so filling, that I only ate a few shrimp and one-and-a-half ravioli. That wasn't on the nutrition menu, so I had to estimate. Lemon is one of my favorite flavors, so I chose the lemon mousse, the lowest-calorie choice, for dessert. I ate the blueberries and raspberry sauce and only a bite of the "mousse". It was disappointing to discover that it wasn't actually lemon mousse. It was some kind of gelato or sorbet with a nasty bitter aftertaste and no lemon flavor at all. According to my best estimate, I ended up with points left over for the day. I had one of my Godiva truffles and still had a couple of points. Not a big deal. They can be insurance in case my estimate on the dinner points was a bit low.

Anyway, the point of all of that is--this is the first time I've ever made that kind of choice. Choosing the one higher-calorie dish and choosing lower-calorie dishes that may net be what I most want to eat is a real breakthrough. My thinking was that the other dishes I was interested in trying are on the regular menu, so I could try them the next time. And that I want my habit to be that I make the best choices available in whatever situation comes up. I guess I'm slowly learning how to do that.

Keep on turtlin1 :balloons:
:chef: :comp: :coffee: :write: :corn: :book2:

bandit2
11-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi turtles:

Lin - that is great way to handle dining out. Good for you.

Judy - hope your weigh in is good too!

CHerry - congrats on the weight loss. Keep it up!

Princess - Where are you? Hope you are OK - chime in when you get a chance. We miss you.

As for myself, last night went to epicure party & ordered 3 things of different spices & all are lower in sodium than store bought, so that is a good thing.
It was lots of fun sampling the different dishes. Only downfall, was we used nacho chips & nan bread for dipping. But I did not have any wine.
So, hoping to be OK tonight at the scales. But seems all these little
BLT's (bites, licks & tastes) are what get me into trouble.

Have to wait & see.

Good luck everyone!

Itryharder
11-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Bandit, here's hoping for a :goodscale: for you tonight. :bravo: for avoiding the wine. WEigh to go!

Lin, I like your attitude toward dining out. Every time we try something new and it works, we've got a good habit in the making. :chef:

As far as me, yesterday I ate full point allowance (right now it's 22 points for me). Usually before a WI I eat eggwhites and keep my points lower. I realized that's a silly thing to do. No sense in depriving myself of the right number of points in any day. So, the scale was up a tiny bit. .2# this week. I hate to see the scale move up, but it's a smidge and this is a more realistic way of handling my weight loss. I've got a lot to go, but right now I'm concentrating on losing the next four pounds.

Go Turtles!
Judy
234.6/194.2/190 :cool: and well into onederland

LaurenH
11-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Good job, everyone -- lots of losses here! And over Halloween, too, which is major.

Halloween is, for many people, the kickoff of two months of holiday-related overeating. So this is a time to be especially aware of what we're doing.

My Halloween didn't go as well as I'd hoped, what with the scotch and all, but it was a lot of fun. Back on the wagon Sunday and Monday, then DH showed up Monday evening at work as a surprise, and we went to an Indian restaurant. NOT low in calories. Back on the wagon Tuesday, but today I'm up 2 pounds. Sheesh!

But had another good OP day today and will again tomorrow and the next day, etc. So it will come back off. I must say, though, I'm tired of maintaining. Apparently not quite tired enough to do what I need to do to move downward again, though. I can live with that for now, and through the holidays, actually. If I simply maintain over the next two months, that's OK. (And still a lot of hard work.) After that, though -- look out!

NaNo is going OK. I've been meeting my daily word goals, though it feels a bit like pulling teeth. Trying not to think about how awful the prose and story are at this point. It's all about the process right now. It really takes a lot of discipline to do this, which is good for me.

Lin and Judy, how are your NaNo stories coming along?

Bandit, I love your social life.

Cherry, congrats on that loss!

Msmeri, yes, taking in an extra 120 calories a day of sugar will tend to put weight on unless one does something to counteract it.

Hope you all have a wonderful, OP day.

Itryharder
11-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi Turtles,
Brief update on my NaNoWriMo novel. It's hysterical! I love writing, but I'm writing a mystery and I've never done that before. I have a feeling that if anyone actually read this I could put the sleeping pill manufacturers out of business. No, I'm going to have a positive attitude, and I love the character development I'm doing and I like the connections I've established among my characters. However, plot is something else and I've never written or attempted to write anything this long before. My forte is poetry and very short short stories, so this is a stretch. So far so good on the word count. I'm such a nerd, I actually calculated and wrote down how many words i'd need to hit each day in total to stay on track. Egads. Anyway, I consider it a challenge and I'm happy with it so far. If it doesn't go anywhere in a week or two, I'll segue into another plot and keep it going that way.

Lin, how are you doing?

Good luck to all the turtles! :grouphug:
By the way, I bought some peeled and cubed butternut squash, roasted it in the oven with a tiny bit of olive oil and nutmeg and cinnamon and declare it delicious! It's not a zero point veggie, but it's cheaper than potatoes and worth the point or two.
Judy
234.6/194.2/190 onward and downward!!!! :cool:

msmeri
11-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Cherry ~ half a pound that's super! Right on target

Judy ~ I try to keep WI day light as well but...we have a dinner together and we always try something new. Last week it was a lasagna type dish with whole wheat noodles. And shall we just say to much garlic bread even though it was whole grain. We do get in a min of 30 min workout together if the husbands keep a reign on the snot monsters

Tonight it is Mexi Shells Jumbo Pasta shells stuffed w/Hamburger, beans, green chilies, ground cumin, chili powder, chopped onion, and skim mozzarella cheese
4 cans of tomato sauce, flour, cilantro
7 points for 3 shells
from a WW cookbook

Bandit ~ OMG I have never hear about the BLT's before but I sure do know all about them!

Lin ~ Way to go can you put that will power and knowledge in an envelope and send it my way?

Itryharder
11-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Hi Turtles,
MsMeri, that Mexicali dish sounds great. I think yourWI WW's group including family is so social.

Right now I'm thinking of having an open house during the holidays. A chance for the gals I know to stop in, have a cuppa tea or coffee and some snacks and sit down and chat for awhile. I did a get together like this when I was in my mid-thirties and it was one of the most fun activities I ever did. I have to think this through carefully since I'd want my house to be sparkling clean and all set to go. Who knows? But at least it's a thought of something fun to do.

Today I have planned out all meals. I've been eating soup instead of salad for lunch and I think it's time to head back to salad for a change. I'd love to drop a real pound this week, so I need to watch it. Especially since it's dh :hb: this week and he's requested a high caloric dinner (not if I eat small portions---I've gotta keep it real).

Okay--we're getting close to the weekend. Everybody drink that water, move more, eat less and let's get on with it!
Judy
234.6/194.2/190 and :cool: deeper into onederland

Lin S
11-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Bandit, I really understand the bites, licks and tastes. I'm a cook. I have to taste for seasoning. I keep the tastes as small as possible and make sure I don't use all my weekly and activity points. I figure the ones I don't use cover those BLTs. So far, so good. I really don't want to have to try and figure out how many points they are because the amounts are usually so small they'd be 0, but added together they might need counting and I don't know how to know when I've racked countable points, if that make sense. :)

Judy, I think it's wonderful that you've decided not to eat differently before weighing. The thing is that what we do for the day before really doesn't make that much difference. It's the overall pattern that matters, what we do day after day. That's why one messup doesn't derail our loss. It's when we take that messup, beat ourselves up, think "what's the use?" and keep messing up that we regain the weight. But when our pattern is to get back on track immediately after a messup, we may slow our loss, but we will keep losing. So, way to go. :D :bravo:

Your open house sounds like a great idea. You'll have fun and all the food and beverages will be in your hands, so you can plan ahead and stay OP while having a great holiday party.

Congrats on your NaNo progress. Sounds like you're having a fun time with it. :)

Lauren, :hug::hug: on Halloween. Maybe you could manage the holiday season by planning which days will be celebration days and which will be regular days where you follow the plan? I'm rooting for you. I think with some thinking ahead, which you're so good at, you could end up with a loss, even if it's a small one, by Jan. 1.

Congrats on your NaNo progress. Yes, NaNo is about the process. And it's great that you're not agonizing over every word. First drafts are never perfect, as you know. So, have fun with it, since that's really what NaNo is about--loving writing. :)

Ms. Meri, the interesting thing is it isn't will power. I've never accomplished anything due to sheer will power. It's just building habits a little bit at a time. And changing the way I think about it all. Good luck to you as you develop new habits that work for you. You're doing it, too. :cool:

Today is my weigh in day. I lost another three pounds, with the requisite warning message from the WW site. But my one month average is 1.9, which is right on track. If my next week's weight loss is large, I'm going to recalculate my points based on the next higher level of activity. So, a bit closer to onderland and down I go. :D

NaNo update: I've had two days where I couln't get time to write, but I've written something on the days I could. I'm behind where I need to be, but I hope to catch up over the weekend. It's just that time-stealing things keep happening and I have no control over them. Then my writing time gets eaten up. So, I'm hanging in there. This is a fun story, so I'm motivated to keep going, whether or not I hit 50K. And DH said I could leave the dishes for him to do and write instead. :D

Happy turtlin'! :write:
:balloons: :chef: :comp: :coffee: :book2: :corn:

Itryharder
11-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Go Turtles! :cheer:
Lin, what a fabulous weight loss, again! :goodscale: You must be sooooo happy. You are so close to onederland and youknow we're all pulling for you. :cp: :bravo: :carrot: :dancer: :dance: :balloons:

Weigh to go!
Gals, we're getting some good news here so let's keep it going. Off to eat my salad for lunch.

Judy
234.6/194.2/190 :cool: deeper and deeper into onederland

Itryharder
11-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Go Turtles! :cheer:
Lin, what a fabulous weight loss, again! :goodscale: You must be sooooo happy. You are so close to onederland and youknow we're all pulling for you. :cp: :bravo: :carrot: :dancer: :dance: :balloons:

Weigh to go!
Gals, we're getting some good news here so let's keep it going. Off to eat my salad for lunch.

Judy
234.6/194.2/190 :cool: deeper and deeper into onederland
Hi Guys, I had trouble with the site and ended up duplicating my message. Sorry :grouphug:

msmeri
11-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Had 2 pop in and give a shout out:

Made this fancy breakfast this morning; first time since I started in January
:ink:
large eggs/margarine
orange bell pepper chopped
tomatoes diced
grated Montray jack cheese
jumbo biscuits like pop n fresh
J/D reduced fat sausage
coffee/pumpkin pie creamer 3 tbsp
apple/strawberry juice 8oz

served my plate
figured out to 24 points

was using my calculator & journal as I ate
with all the food wrappers on the table(gross)

and, and, and,

get this....
I walked away from half of it!
I realized I did want too eat it cuz I feel I have not had "real" food since January but when I thought about it I would not be eating for hunger!
So I gave it to DH.
:doh:
so I kept the juice / coffee points and figure it to be only 17 points. Still high considering my normal breakfast runs 7 points during the week. But if I was able to make a major shift in my reasons for feeding myself I might be getting to something life changing!
:idea:
crossing my fingers, here

:tape:

Itryharder
11-07-2009, 01:01 PM
You Go MsMeri!!!!!! that's a great accomplishment. :bravo: :cp: :cheer:
Judy

Lin S
11-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Hi!

Wow, Ms. Meri. That's a wonderful new step for you. :bravo:

Thank you, Judy, for the congrats. It is a good feeling.

I had a very frustrating day today. I've already eaten 5 weekly points and I haven't had dinner yet. The stewardship committee provided lunch at church today in honor of stewardship Sunday. I had a meeting after the lunch, so I was pretty much stuck with what they offered. It was awful! Prepared sandwiches and wraps with mayonnaise. Potato salad, again loaded with mayo. BBQ and potato chips. Huge cookies. There was no way I could eat enough to be satisfied without eating major points because there were no low-fat or healthy choices. The only veggies were olives. No salad, no fruit, essentially nothing healthy. And it was so unsatisfying because none of it really tasted very good, either. I suspect they ordered it from a grocery store or Costco.

I'm going to eat a normal dinner, prepared by me!! It will mean eating more points for the day than I'd prefer, but I do still have 20 weekly points to spend and I won't come close to spending them all. But it's going to mean some leaner days than I'd like the rest of the week. It makes me really angry because I didn't have any healthy options and I couldn't leave because I didn't have a specific time to be back for my meeting, which was "after the lunch". I did complain at my meeting and our community life director was there. I don't know if she'll pass it along. I also was glad I wasn't vegetarian, or worse, vegan. There was nothing for them to eat at all, not really.

So, I guess I'm venting. This whole weight loss thing is hard and our culture is designed to make it even harder. Anyone who loses a significant amount of weight and keeps it off while living a normal life deserves a medal because normal life makes it easier to stay fat. So, pat yourselves on the back for even attempting this. And give yourselves a double or triple pat for the success you've all managed. :bravo:

I'm still behind, but still writing on my NaNo Novel. I haven't given up. :)

Keep on turtlin'! :write:
:balloons: :comp: :chef: :corn: :coffee: :book2:

Itryharder
11-08-2009, 11:05 PM
hi Turtles,
Oh Lin, I hear you loud and clear. It must feel as though you were sabotaged. Ugh. Some of my local committees are taking the hint and they are getting fruit platters along with the pastries and baked desserts. And some of them are getting crudite platters. But when it's sandwiches loaded with mayo, etc. your choices are spare. Luckily you've got the extra points available, and you did the best you could have under the circumstances. Vent on, dear girl. It's fine and we can take it!!! :cp:
:grouphug:

Today was stressful again for me and my food reflects it. Nothing too terrible, but I've got to tighten up. I'll be super careful for tomorrow and Tuesday, but still eat my points. That should make the week end okay for my WI. I've also gotten on the :tread: this week and that's a big help.
My dh read my NaNo novel as far as I've written and he thinks it's good which is hysterical, but I know every once in a while a page writes itself and that's when I'm in touch with something inside of me that wants to come out. I've also lightened up on myself believing everyone who's saying that this is practice and that this novel doesn't have to be perfect.
:idea:

Okay gals, take care and be well.
Judy
234.6/194.2/190 and :cool: into onederland

Itryharder
11-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Whew! Am I having a tough day today. I'm being called on to baby-sit a lot this week by my dd and it won't be easy to work in, but I'll do it. In the meantime, I'm up at least a pound and don't know why. I'm hoping it's salt from spaghetti sauce that is doing this. I WI tomorrow at WW's and I was hoping for a loss, and now I may be facing a gain. Please send me good vibes.
I'm thinking about all of you and wishing you well.
Judy
234.6/194.2/190 and deeper into onederland :cool:

khunter
11-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Hi turtles. My name is Kelly and I just wanted to congratulate all of you on your weight loss and your NSV's. I have about 10 more pounds to lose and have maintained the same weight (up a few...down a few) for the past several weeks. I'm actually OK with this because I understand that weight loss is a lifetime issue and maintenance is a BIG part of that. I also understand that this is the hardest time of year for weight management and maintenance in itself is a great accomplishment.
I would love to keep checking in and seeing everyone's stories and adding a few of my own.
Good luck to all!

Itryharder
11-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi Turtles,
Kelly :welcome3: and :carrot: That's such a nice way to introduce yourself. This is a great group of gals who are all trying hard and giving each other suggestions and encouragement. We look forward to your weight loss and input!

Gals, I lost another tiny bit this week and I'll take it and run. I lost .8# and that puts me more than 40# down. Yay! This is a good time of the year to lose weight for me because I stay so focused knowing how much I love the holiday foods. I have to remind myself to save points, eat only slivers of what I want, not overcook the amounts of food we need for the different days, and most of all keep focused on what I want, not what I think my family wants. Not easy, but I've been successful before and this is the first time I'm approaching December under 200# in ages. I cannot remember the last time or what age I was when this happened. Sorry to be so long-winded today, but I have to give myself a little pep talk since stress is coming back big time!
Good luck to all the Turtles! :cp: :grouphug: :love:
Judy
234.6/193.4/190 and deeper into onederland :cool:

LaurenH
11-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Welcome, Kelly! Great to meet you.

Judy, another loss this week -- I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!! :carrot: And just think -- your first holiday season under 200 in years! What a wonderful present to yourself. You are a real inspiration to me these days, with your attitude. You're really doing it! Yes, stress comes, but overeating just adds pounds, which adds more stress. So let's help each other stay focused through this season so we'll be proud of ourselves come the new year.

Am doing OK with the eating. I maintained this week, which isn't what I wanted but is what I deserved, after Halloween. I really am at the point where a single day off program will stall my weight loss for a week or more. It really makes me think twice about eating that extra bite. Or, as in the case of Halloween, having that extra scotch! :dizzy:

Tonight a bunch of us from work are going to build robots and pit them against each other. DH and other family members are going to join us. This should be a hoot; I have absolutely no idea how to do this.

NaNo is going very slowly. I am way behind now in my word count; just had a hard time getting motivated this weekend. My story is really boring me, unfortunately. Not a good sign! And I'm frankly not used to the discipline of coming home after a long day at work and spending two hours writing in the evening. That's the real problem, I think, and the only way past it is to just do it. So tonight I can't because of the robot contest, but tomorrow I plan to get back at it again.

Have a great day, everyone.

Lin S
11-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi,

I tried to get on here off and on all day yesterday, but it wasn't working. I had a lot of trouble with the internet yesterday, which was weird, but it happens.

:welcome3: Kelly! Nice to have you here. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and rooting you on toward your goal.

Judy, one thing NaNo is good for is helping us put that perfectionism monster in it's place. Keep going. You're doing great.

:congrat: on your weight loss for the week. .8 pounds is a mere 3.2 ounces from a whole pound. That's Eight Tenths out of Ten Tenths of a pound. So celebrate. That's a good loss!!

:hug::hug::hug:, Lauren. Hang in there. You're holding your own at a lot less weight than you used to hold your own at. You've been a super success. Keep it up. You'll get where you want to go.

NaNo has been tough for a lot of people this year. Some of my writing buddies who usually sail through, easily racking up the words, are behind where they want to be. I'm behind, too, but I'm still writing. It's inevitable that you will hit spots where your story will bore you. That's when you pull out the ninja monkeys, as they say in the NaNo forums. Put in something wild to shake things up and keep going, writing about what the consequences of that shakeup are. You can always edit it out after NaNo, if you don't think your silliness adds to the overall story.

I have no idea what I weigh this week. My scale was being totally flaky. It kept boosting the weight up a pound every time I tried to get a reading. When it hit 217, I decided to skip the weigh in for the week. My hubby, the troubleshooting genius, says it needs a battery. So my big goal for this week is to get a new battery before next week's weigh in and see how I'm really doing. It has a weird battery and if Radio Shack or Fry's or Target or...doesn't have one, I'll buy a new scale. :D

Keep on turtlin'! :write:
:balloons: :chef: :comp: :corn: :coffee: :book2:

Itryharder
11-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Yeah, and a quick hi. I had trouble for the past two days trying to get online here. Am wishing everyone good luck through the weekend. Today hasn't been a perfect day, but I'm holding my own.
NaNoWriMo is such a fun experience. Yes, I'm bored, am certain my "novel" is a bunch of gobbledy gook, but it's an interesting experience.

Go Turtles!!!!! Let's try and move some weight this week.
Love, Judy
So glad to see the site up and running. I'd miss it terribly.

Itryharder
11-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Hi Turtles,
We're getting long. See you all at #225, Bale of Turtles Giving Thanks!
Judy
234.6/193.4/190 and deeper into onederland