Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Why is this getting harder?

I wish I could understand why this process is slowing down to this extent. I've plateaued on 179 since early September. I'm doing my best to stay focused and stay on plan but without results the frustration is making me hungry. I constantly feel betrayed by my body when I push myself hard to breakthrough. And if I slip once in a while and have a cookie I beat myself up (as if one cookie could possibly plateau me).

All this hard work and the process is getting harder and harder and harder. It doesn't seem fair.

And WHY must a Panera chocolate chip cookie be 440 calories???? Why oh why!!!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/173/150

Height: 5'5"

Aww I hear you.

All I can say is I plateaued in the 190s for about two months, then lost slowly after that. Now the weight is coming off quickly again. I have no idea why.

When I plateaued I just didn't weigh myself as much and kept on keeping on. It is easy to feel discouraged by it, I know. I told myself well this is the way I eat now, period.

I think my body was in shock to be under 200, frankly!
myrrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 380/175/150

Height: 5' 4"

Our bodies don't like change, either gaining or losing weight. I think that once you reach a certain "tipping point" on the calories you're consuming as a natural result of your body's mass being lower, it decides that you're at a new point of homeostasis and tries hard to keep you there. This is a survival mechanism from times when food wasn't so plentiful. The longer your body hung onto its fat reserves, the more likely you were to survive.

I'm no nutritionist or health expert, but I think you might want to consume maintenance level calories for a few weeks rather than consume at a reduced calorie level. This might kick-start your body into losing weight again because it'll signal the fact that food is more available now and it's okay to lose some more when the calories are reduced again.

At the very least, you can feel less frustrated by eating at maintenance levels rather than being on a diet for a few weeks. If you're eating 2000 calories a day instead of 1200 (or whatever), you'll find no movement to be normal rather than aggravating. Taking a little break might help you emotionally if nothing else. Good luck!
screamingfatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

We are very fortunate in that the journey to slender fitness has so many aspects.

Quantity of foods
Quality of foods
Fluid balance
Amount of cardio
Intensity of cardio
Muscle strengthening

I think you'll find that most folks will begin to lose weight by eating less and moving more. They learn as they go. And as the journey progesses they become more aware of the detaily type things that make some differences.

Glory87 has found that the quality of her food matters very much and advocates a SuperFoods Rx food plan.

Many posters are discovering HIIT training.

Since you have been losing very well, I doubt that you need to just eat less and move more. You probably just need to tweak some other aspect of your plan.

And we can help you with that
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #5  

I found this quiz the other day that tells you how healthy you are. I didn't take it to seriously, but its fun and does let you know what your doing wrong. Try it. http://www.peer2.com/bTZOcc
noelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #6  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I FEEL you!! Although my problem isn't so much the plateau-ing, it's just the not being on plan part. I keep hovering between 156 and 157. When it inched up to 158, I cracked down on the exercise and it came back down, which is just proof that I was eating too much and not moving enough.

I wanted to commiserate with you. I can understand how you feel right now. Here's a to let you know that I'm in the same boat with you.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote