South Beach Diet - The "On Plan" Thread for the week of 10/26

cottagebythesea
10-26-2009, 06:40 AM
It's time for a new week of talking On-Plan! :)

Anyone, from any phase (1, 1.5, 2, 3, etc.) can post, and those who are new to 3FC are especially encouraged to do so! :D
This thread is for questions, sharing advice and strategies, and encouraging each other to stay on plan. It is not for chatting about daily life unrelated to this topic. Members have indicated that they would like to have chatting remain in the Daily Thread, so any posts that are off topic or chatty will be moved by the mods to the Daily.
Because people from different parts of the plan are posting here, it'll help everyone if you indicate what phase you're in when you post. Thanks!
While you may certainly find, from time to time, the need to ask for help after going off plan, remember that this thread is about staying on plan. When you share details of off plan foods you've eaten, it can upset, tempt, and otherwise frustrate other members, so please keep these details to a minimum. :thanks:

Last week was a very good one for me, and my willpower seems to grow stronger every day. I know that as long as I plan what I'm going to eat ahead of time, I have no trouble at all staying OP. It helps to keep me motivated by coming in here and seeing how everyone else is doing, too.
Let's keep up the good work!

weezle
10-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Here's my proof of staying OP:

I LOST 7 LBS!!!!

ME. Weezle. Lisa. Lost 7 lbs. During P1W1. I had WILLPOWER. I have no idea where it came from but it was THERE and it WORKED.

Play to see Ph1 through, with W2 starting this week. Lots of yummy things to eat!!! How's everyone else doing???

Ruthxxx
10-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Last week was not good but I have started this week with a Laughing Cow, tomato and Ryvita breakfast with a pear eaten just now after the gym. I plan to stay strictly on track all week and WILL not eat any Halloween crud!

beachgal
10-26-2009, 09:41 AM
:hat: :cheer2: :high: :congrat: :cheers: :cheer3: :yay:

GREAT work, Weezle!!! That's awesome news! Feel free to share the willpower, if you want... ;)

I had a pretty good weekend. I did well with being mindfull of what I was eating and of my hunger, but I did overdo here and there, which I'm not happy with. Overall, things went well, especially since I was able to fit in some exercise on Saturday.

murphmitch
10-26-2009, 09:45 AM
I have recommitted to eating clean since I've gained a couple pounds since summer and have a health screen coming up next week at work. Hoping my cholesterol is even better than last year. Stayed strong over the weekend. Went out for breakfast yesterday with hubby and had a great omelet. It came with mozzarella cheese on it and I picked about 2/3 of it off. Why do they have to put so much on? Worked out twice last week, which is good for me. Now I just have to keep it up. I love SB eating!

Lexxiss
10-26-2009, 09:51 AM
:congrat: Lisa. I'm so glad you're back OP. You were very present here when I first started in May, and your participation meant alot to me.

Me, I'm commited to another week OP. I had a very tenuous day yesterday. DH was in a super grumpy mood and our household was pretty "off". I felt so much like eating crappy and I just chilled out. It's times like that, I'm really happy that the cupboards are pretty much cleaned out of junk. There is his big bag of Doritos but I don't touch them 'cause I know what happens. I finally decided I would go to the store and that my "revenge" would be to cook him a very nice dinner. :lol: It worked for ME. I made a perfect OP dinner and it wasn't until I was outside this morning that I could really rationalize the insanity of emotional eating-taking out something on MY body by eating bad is the worst thing I can do.

At the store, I found some SF Oregon Chai, so I had a nice reward. It made a very nice after dinner treat.

I read in the Supercharged book last night. I have already started adding more dairy in, and I'm going to start tweaking my exercise today. I go to the gym early and I am going to walk to the pool (about 1 m) and walk in the intervals Dr A suggests.

I hope more join in this thread. I love the daily chatter, but my staying OP is my first priority. I feel so good right now but realize that staying OP is my only option if I want to continue losing weight.

Have a great week everyone! Week 26 for me on P2 almost 1/2 a year on SB!

weezle
10-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the cheers! ;) And Debbie, that really means a lot. I'm glad I'm back OP too!

Here's some :dust: for you all! If I can do it with a skinny Italian boyfriend that eats carbs like they're going to disappear forever, you all can too! :D

Busy day at work so far. Just taking a quick breather. Be good!!!!! :hug:

sophie
10-26-2009, 12:45 PM
I realize that I can't handle any kind of baking even if its SB friendly. I made Debbie's carrot cake and it was delicious but ate almost half in one day. So I have to give it up and try to re-educate myself at a later date.
Going to freeze my yougurt today for dessert, will let you know how I like it.
take care
Sophie

murphmitch
10-26-2009, 09:46 PM
I realize that I can't handle any kind of baking even if its SB friendly. I made Debbie's carrot cake and it was delicious but ate almost half in one day. So I have to give it up and try to re-educate myself at a later date.

I agree. I'm the same way. Made some whole wheat pumpkin muffins last week and even though they didn't turn out very good, I ate like five! In one day! Can't control myself around anything baked.

Heidi58
10-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Hey Debbie, Weezle et al - I loved reading about your successes! Keep up the good work. :)

I had a rough day today, though things are settling down now. The power went off during the night and it was so dark and dreary that I overslept big time! I wandered downstairs at the time I'm usually driving out of my driveway. :( I rushed around like a maniac and got to school just as the kids were coming in off of the playground. No shower, no breakfast and no lunch. *gulp*

I went through the 'emergency stash' I keep in my desk drawer, (V-8 juice, pistachios and sf hard candies) and nearly gnawed my arm off before I could head home at 3:15. lol I had planned to stop at the grocery store for an apple or yogurt but once I was actually in the parking lot I was afraid to go into the store. I wasn't sure I could trust myself not to buy and eat something junky. So, I drove home and raided the refrigerator instead.

I just finished a combo lunch/dinner and I feel good for the first time all day.

I need to restock my desk drawer - and add some things that will work for lunch. Just in case. In the past I'd get chips or something from the vending machine and call it good. I need a better plan now.

weezle
10-27-2009, 09:59 PM
OK I'm posting my Ph1 menu just for fun.

B: Fake sausage, fake bacon
S: Cheese stick
L: Refried Bean Soup
S: Pistachios
D: Veggie soup, Spinach Mushroom Mozzarella Supreme, cottage cheese
S: 3 pieces sugar-free candy (I KNOW, but less than 75 calories!)

I feel better putting it out there. It's nice to record it and have you all look at it. If I don't put it down on paper, so to speak, then I continue grazing. I'm done eating now. OK have a good night!!!! :D

Lisa

beachgal
10-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Weezle, I find it much easier when I post my menu. Let us know if you want comments or advice or if you just want us to be observers so you know you're accountable to someone. :D

Debbie and Sophie, I think it's great that you're aware of what works and doesn't work for you. But if you find that not having baked goods makes you feel so deprived that you cheat, you might want to consider some other options for baking and see if those work. I find that I do much, much better with baking if I make things in individual poriton sizes. I invested in several pans that allow me to make mini loaves, cakes, or pies. I use those to make things and have found that if I leave one out for my dessert and put the rest in the freezer as soon as they cool, I'm able to stick to one serving at a time and even forget about them for days. I'm lucky enough to have a separate freezer in our basement that I don't look at all the time. I also am one of those people where "out of sight, out of mind" is very true. If it's sitting on the counter, I'll nibble away at it for hours, but if it's hidden in the freezer away from my sight, I won't even remember it's there. :shrug: Just a thought, though I totally honor your commitment to avoiding your triggers! :carrot:

Lexxiss, this was SO wise:
it wasn't until I was outside this morning that I could really rationalize the insanity of emotional eating-taking out something on MY body by eating bad is the worst thing I can do.

I did really well yesterday because my weigh-in was so good that I didn't want to jeopordize that hard work. In addition, my knees were hurting, and I know that losing more weight will help with that pain. I was surprised that it was so easy to stay away from things when I really had my reasons for weight loss at the forefront of my mind. Has anyone else found that to be true?

I also found that having on plan food that really tastes good can make you feel terrific! I had a fantastic heirloom apple (Cox's Orange Pippin...they are DIVINE!!! :love: ) and an oz. of LF cheese for breakfast yesterday and it was SOOOO good!

Lexxiss
10-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Heidi, I liked the ingredients in your "emergency stash." Today I remembered when I had that hungry carb crave late in the afternoon, I had a V-8. Thanks

Beachgal, I love Honeycrisps now! I, too, am motivated by scale success-I've chocked one more off:dancer:

murphmitch
10-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Enjoying the Honeycrisps daily too! They really satisfy my sweet tooth. We have one last farmer's market this weekend. I'm going to miss it. It's our Saturday morning ritual.

Ruthxxx
10-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Yesterday was an "in town for lunch" day and I avoided the dreaded Chinese Buffet in favour of a Wendy's salad with my quilting teacher. Today is another day with the same problem but I am going to make a lunch to take along. Eating in the car seems scuzzy to me so I will either use the staff room at the clinic or stop at a picnic table near a lake on the way to town.

That's the plan - now for the execution. I am going to make my lunch right now and put it in the car with my water bottle.

Dinner tonight will be a cup of veggie soup around six followed by a 6:30 reception before a meeting. I am taking fruit and cheese platter and know someone else is bringing veggies and dip so that will round off the meal.

weezle
10-29-2009, 07:57 AM
I have no problem with you all commenting on my menus! Every little bit helps! Today, it's:

B: Fake bacon and sausage, black tea
S: LF cheese stick
L: Refried Bean Soup
S: Pistachios
D: Better-than-real Meatloaf, side of kung pao veggies
S: Possibly 2 pieces sugar free candy (if I eat more than 2, I celebrate too much)

Un-official loss of 2 more lbs (you know how OCD I am about the scale) but official weigh-in is Monday morning when I start Ph2. Already started the grocery list!

Have a fabulous OP day!

beachgal
10-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Congrats on your loss, Weezle! You're doing great! I think your menu shows a need for more veggies, more variation in food groups (you have a lot of protein but not much else...), such as more veg, more fruit, and more dairy. Each person is different, but I think I'd be bingeing soon if I ate that little every day without anything to fill me up (like a big serving of veg). If that's not a problem for you, that's great, but you still need some variation for nutritional health, IMHO.

So far, so good, here. Worked out a bit too much this morning--still not sure why it hit me so hard, but I was really red and my blood pressure seemed really high when I finished. I think I need to do some poking around for more info. :?: Avoided overeating yesterday and even managed to only eat 2 servings of my 3 possible starches. That made me feel good!

I planned out today last night, which seems to help. Now I just have to stick to it! :jig:

weezle
10-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I tend to get all my veggies earlier in the week and then once I run out, I'm lacking until time to go to the store again. (Tomorrow!) :^: There were a few days earlier in the week where I had TOO MANY veggies and was awakened with awful celebrations in the middle of the night. :yikes:

Note to self: Do not eat Refried Bean Soup, Spinach Mushroom Mozzarella Supreme, salad, and veggie soup all in the same day. Lesson learned. :D

Thanks for all your input though Laurie! :hug: I'm going to mix it up a bit for next week.

Ruthxxx
10-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Well, the AGM was cancelled last night (sickness) so I ended up eating a LC frozen dinner with a salad. The blasted sodium showed up this morning!

I did eat an OP breakfast but succumbed to some ww toast and PB at the diner after my session. Lunch was mainly veggies with some feta cheese - a psuedo-Greek salad.

Dinner tonight? I have some boneless chicken which I may lightly bread and have with a mushroom sauce and some garden chard, maybe some squash along with it.

cottagebythesea
10-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I just got back from the store with all the ingredients I needed for making Beachgal's Lentil and Balsamic Roasted Vegetable Soup, and discovered I'm almost out of lentils! :( So I'll have to wait until tomorrow to make it, and have a Spinach & Mushroom Kashi Pizza for supper, instead.

I'm quite pleased with myself for eating clean all week, despite a few challenging moments. Tomorrow is Halloween and we have plenty of candy in the house for the trick-or-treaters, but it doesn't bother me at all. Candy just doesn't taste as good as it used to and just isn't worth it.

I had oatmeal soaked in unsweetened almond milk with 1 Tb. dried cranberries and a few walnuts for breakfast, and lunch was a green salad with 1/2 an avocado and roasted chickpeas. Supper will be 1/2 a Kashi spinach & mushroom thin crust pizza with roasted cauliflower. And since I have to celebrate the end of the week and the start of the weekend, I'm having a glass or two of wine this evening. :)

weezle
10-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Mmm Cottage that all sounds AWESOME!

murphmitch
10-30-2009, 06:31 PM
I attended a diabetic conference today. Good thing I ate breakfast at home and took a few snacks in my purse. They had coffee cakes, muffins & breads at the breakfast table (with fruit) and then pasta, breadsticks and cookies at lunch (with salad and veggies). Hmmm, lots of bad carbs at a medical conference about diabetes. Go figure! I ate a large amount of salad, meatless pasta sauce over the veggies with a little Parmesan cheese on it, went back for seconds on the veggies, and was full after eating a piece of string cheese and fruit that I brought from home. Learned a lot, but it never fails to amaze me that they feed us the very stuff that's problematic. Oh and there were tootsie rolls at our tables and lots of Halloween candy at the vendors' booths.

Ruthxxx
10-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Drat! My day got away from me and I've no time for the chicken thingie! I've just raided the stash and found a serving of that sausage, mushroom and pepper recipe which I'll have over spaghetti squash. I love my freezer stash!
(I did post that recipe - or did I?)

Lexxiss
10-30-2009, 07:47 PM
It looks like we've all had a pretty good week and the main trend I see is planning ahead. I'm pleased to have dropped again on the scale. I had a great day today and had a vision of eating out tonight since it's our last night here. I thought it all through and since we have a family dinner out tomorrow night the logical conclusion is to stay home and eat OP. I did finally buy a small jug of fresh apple cider (last of the season). You all are my reminder not to get carried away.

weebleswobble
10-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Weezle, I'm OCD about the scale too. :) I check every morning before I have anything to eat. ha ha. ;)

I think the sugar free chocolates are a very nice way to stay regular, if you know what I mean. :0

weezle
10-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Weebs, when I say "celebrate" that's talking about.... staying regular. I can't eat too much of the SF candy or I celebrate WAY too much!!! ;)

Heidi58
10-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Weezle, I'm OCD about the scale too. :) I check every morning before I have anything to eat. ha ha. ;)

I think the sugar free chocolates are a very nice way to stay regular, if you know what I mean. :0

I'm the same with the scale. lol
It didn't budge an ounce this week though.... but I kept checking, just in case. ;)

weebleswobble
10-31-2009, 03:31 PM
that wasn't very nice of the scale not to go anywhere. maybe if you have to wizz in a little bit? :)

Heidi58
11-01-2009, 08:17 AM
that wasn't very nice of the scale not to go anywhere. maybe if you have to wizz in a little bit? :)

lol Sad to say, I already tried that.

I did get to dig out some smaller pants this week though, so I'm not complaining. I hope to see at least a little change on the scale this week though. :)

I think this may have been the first Halloween in 51 years that I didn't eat any candy..... I still can't believe I resisted! The leftovers are in the car already - I'm taking them to church with me this morning and stuffing them in the teens' prize closet. lol

Lexxiss
11-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi Everyone:sunny:

I'm OP but exhausted after our big move to our winter house yesterday. I need to get stocked up foodwise, but tonight it's out for dinner then to a basketball game.

I'm going to nap. See you all tomorrow.