Weight Loss Support - Do you tell others about your success?

jkinboston89
10-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Just curious, do most of you tell the people in your lives about your journey and your progress?

I tell me fiance everytime I lose a pound and though he says he doesn't get sick of it, I kind of think that I would lol.

Other than him, I only tell my friends/coworkers when they ask about it.

What about you guys?

Rainbow
10-25-2009, 05:44 PM
I only discuss my weight with my husband and my best friend. I never liked discussing my weight - I was reluctant to with my friend but he's been very very supportive (my husband is suppportive but he's a reforming binge eater to so couldn't give me the support I needed when i first started as he had ot deal with his own food issues).

I never really liked to discuss my weight with anyone - now a lot of people are asking how I lost weight so may have to get more used to that!

Sunnigummi
10-25-2009, 05:46 PM
I tell my husband and my mom. My husband is like your fiance. He doesn't get sick of it (I tell him if I go up, maintain or go down). However, he has become more sympathetic lately. Earlier, if I told him I lost a lb from the day before he'd be like "cool, but I don't think that's REAL weight." (real weight meaning fat, he thought this was most likely water, which is probably true but it annoyed me to no end). Now, he's like "oh you ate too many chips? Here, have a healthy choice steamer, that's not too many calories and it's better than starving!:)" He's so sweet. Now that he sees me shrinking physically, he's more supportive of my losses.:D

nooch
10-25-2009, 06:06 PM
I tell my husband, my mom, my in-laws, and one of my brothers. All with varying degrees of honesty - only my husband knows the exact numbers. The other people just know I've lost X in Y time.

garnetrising
10-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Generally, I only tell people close to me. Namely, family. My sister knows I'm trying again. While she's always been in better shape then me, she did put on some weight after both of her kids that she's still working to lose so we get a little support off of each other.

DH knows. He was so sweet when I first mentioned it when we first got together. He wanted be sure I wasn't doing it for him because he loves me no matter what I weigh. But he knows now that I'm doing it to get healthy and he loves that. He's an active outdoor guy and, honestly, so am I. But it's hard to enjoy somethings when you weigh so much and you get out of breath so quickly.

I used to tell my mother when I still lived at home. But whenever I would, she'd start trying to lose, too, and then make a big deal when I lost faster than she did. Despite the fact that I ate healthier, drank more water, exercised longer, and was just plan younger. So now, I don't tell her. I'm just going to leave it up to her to mention it when I see them next and I've lost some weight. If she asks, I'll answer. Otherwise, no.

The same thing applies to a friend of mine I see on a daily basis. She says she wants to lose weight, too, but when I tell her about how well I may or may not be doing, she always manages to make be feel guilty because I'm succeeding and she isn't. Despite the fact that I'm trying much harder.

So, in general... If they're supportive, I talk to them about it. If they're not, they can stay in the dark.

bargoo
10-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Only if they ask.

Smiling_Sara
10-25-2009, 06:45 PM
yes, I talk about it. If I do, it keeps me in track, and hopefully others so they won't offer me sweets.

catherinef
10-25-2009, 07:17 PM
I don't talk about it all that much, with anybody other than my husband and my mother. I get interrogated a lot, though, since we live in a smallish town, and people I see regularly have definitely noticed. To be honest, it makes me kind of uncomfortable when they ask for too much detail. It's nice to get the "you're looking so well, you've lost so much weight!" comments that I can simply respond to politely, but some people can be a bit rude about it, and become positively intrusive with their questions, especially when they want to know how I did it, since all I can say is "I count calories and exercise," and they all seem so disappointed with that answer.

yoyoma
10-25-2009, 07:31 PM
DH is also losing weight at the moment and we compare weigh-ins every morning. Once in a while it will come up with another relative or my closest friend and I mention it sometimes to the folks at Curves.

Thighs Be Gone
10-25-2009, 07:58 PM
I tell hubby and ONE friend! :)

Windchime
10-25-2009, 08:00 PM
I have a buddy at work who will sometimes ask, because he's lost about 100 pounds over the past year. So we compare notes on what we're eating, exercise, etc. But other than that, I really don't discuss it other than here. My mom and best friend keep cautioning me not to lose too much (even though I'm still 15-20 pounds above a healthy BMI and there is PLENTY of fat jigglin' around under my clothes). So I quit talking to them about it. I have a sister who is supportive, but she's struggling with weight and I don't want to make her feel bad by talking about how much I've lost. So I pretty much keep it to myself unless someone asks or unless I'm talking about it at 3FC.

TJFitnessDiva
10-25-2009, 08:13 PM
I tell my husband everything :) Other than that I don't really say much about it.

ShrinkingAmy
10-25-2009, 08:38 PM
I tell DH about everything on a daily basis. I tell my parents and my in-laws too because they are all so supportive and always telling me how great I look. I don't tell my friends about it other than maybe mentioning a workout or run here and there because most of my friends struggle with their weight much more than I do and I know they don't want to hear about the 8lbs I want to lose.

JulieJ08
10-25-2009, 09:39 PM
I did sometimes. For example, when I reached "normal" BMI. Actually, that's the only time I can think of that I brought the topic up. Mostly, I just answered when asked questions.

Havisham
10-25-2009, 11:29 PM
I tell my husband - every little pound! :) Up and down. I have a couple of friends at work who I'll tell that I've lost X amount, but never what I'm starting at. That's just far too embarrassing.

I'll probably tell my in-laws, when I see them...and if it's going well. I won't mention it to my mom at all, as she'll just p*** me off with some supposedly well intentioned comment, and make me feel like I'll never be able to stick to it. She still lives in England so it's not like I have to see her while I'm losing.

And, of course, you guys! :)

duckyyellowfeet
10-26-2009, 03:11 AM
I tell my SO, since we're doing this together. My roommates both know, one is losing weight with me. And I tell my mom, cause she is my mom.
Other people know I'm losing weight, but I'm not comfortable telling people numbers. Some day, someone will figure out losing larger numbers meant I weighed more (because I'm some how avoiding that with just existing...)

VernDern
10-26-2009, 04:38 AM
I pretty much have told everyone. Well not just randomly but if I go to dinner with a friend or am around someone when Im trying to decide what to eat. My SO also hears about every pound and is VERY supportive but Ive only told my sister and my best friend the real numbers. Im sure the SO knows though.

I actually wish that I would've told no one besides my bestie and SO. In some odd way it makes me feel less in control and more like Im going to fail. Its really strange. I fold under pressure though and the more people that know means the more pressure I have on me to actually lose it this time and not be a failure...so I guess it does make a little sense.

jcatron243
10-26-2009, 07:05 AM
I mostly talk about my workouts with people. For example last week I ran 19 miles over the course of 6 days, so I told my friends and co-workers.

I have been losing slowly over the course of 3+ years so most people don't see a big change. The other thing I have found is people want advice, then when I tell them I count calories and exercise they change the subject. (sorry no magic pill)

I usually only tell DH my weight when I hit a new low, or when the scale starts moving up (usually to warn him I am going to be cranky).

Teachyrchildren
10-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Besides my husband and immediate family and close friends, I didn't tell anyone when I started in the Spring. And the only ones who know exactly how much weight I've lost (which is really, how heavy I let myself get!) are my doctors and you folks!

My co-workers noticed I was just tasting things like birthday treats, but no one made any comments, thank goodness. After I came back from the Summer break very noticeably smaller, I received a lot of compliments, and some people were a bit nosier that I'm comfortable with. I just responded with "nothing special, just exercise and eating less." I received a lovely plant for my birthday at work instead of a sweet treat , which shows nice support.

My friends who ask, I go into a bit more detail if they seem genuinely interested; and then change the topic.

My MIL still hasn't noticed, even after 50 pounds. LOL

diabetic z
10-26-2009, 12:03 PM
I tell my parents and my sister. My sister and I are both enrolled with the same weight management center so we help keep each other on track and compare notes. Others I tell only if they ask.

L R K
10-26-2009, 12:08 PM
I do the same thing Julia, everytime I lose weight my fiance is the first to hear about it! But everyone else only hears about it if they ask.

carter
10-26-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't tell anyone except a very few close people. I feel it's nobody's business but my own, and the last thing I want is family members or coworkers looking over my shoulder asking "is that on your diet?" If someone notices that I've lost weight, I'll accept the compliment, and if they ask how I did it, I've only one answer: eat less, exercise more.

JustBeckyV
10-26-2009, 12:24 PM
I definitely tell my family -- lol Sometimes I think they may get tired of hearing me talk about it so I try not to over talk it. They know though - they can see it lol I do talk about it online sometimes - or I will share when I have hit a goal.

shasha17a
10-26-2009, 12:39 PM
I only tell my boyfriend for the most part, although he doesn't know how much I weigh, only how many lbs I have lost. I tell my mom sometimes because she used to give me a hard time about gaining weight, although shes much much better now. I'm going to see her in a month so I don't want to tell her everything, rather just wow her. As for coworkers and friends, only if they notice changes and ask me personally.

Hamoco350
10-27-2009, 03:10 AM
I have a lot of people I love, people who I am very close to.. however, my support system is not strong. At Curves, most of the women are thin and I simply don't relate to them right now. My family doesn't say much at all. It's like talking to a wall when I mention my weight loss. My friends don't get it either.

I'm just walking alone, right now, but that's motivation in a way.

Lori Bell
10-27-2009, 10:06 AM
It's kind of hard keeping it a secret after losing 185 pounds...Funny thing is, at this point no one really cares anymore except my husband and immediate family...it seems the rest of my community would LOVE to see me do what I have always done in the past...gain it all back PLUS! Seriously.

Lyndel
10-27-2009, 09:31 PM
I'll talk about it if people are curious and ask, but right now my weight loss isn't very noticeable. I'm much more focused on getting stronger, increasing endurance and the impact exercise has on my emotional health.

I did tell my husband I lost eight pounds and he, well, he thought he was motivating me and said, "Good, how many more to go?" *rolls eyes*

Horo
10-27-2009, 09:47 PM
I tell people when they ask, which has happened a lot lately with relatives and people around the neighborhood who haven't seen me in a long time. :)

Onederchic
10-28-2009, 10:02 AM
I tell my bf about it and a couple of my sisters

BellaDiva
10-28-2009, 10:22 AM
I only discuss weight with my exercise buddy. Beyond that usually my mom is the first to notice any changes.

Susannah27
10-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Hey, Hamoco, I hope this place makes you feel not so alone... This seems to be a pretty great place to share your triumphs/tribulations with people who really get it and understand.

It's one of the reasons I came here. Trying to celebrate the loss of 5 lbs with the co-worker who is 15 years younger and has never crossed the threshold of 120 lbs in her life just doesn't work! :dizzy:
If I share it with my family (parents, siblings), I get suggestions for how I could do it even better, or questions as to why it wasn't more, etc. And then it just becomes a control issue for me...

My son and husband are appropriately supportive for the most part, but this forum seems to be more of what I am looking for. :witch:

Hamoco350
10-31-2009, 04:11 PM
I definitely feel supported here, Susannah! I don't get on and post as much as I should, but when I do it feels awesome. :D

I'm glad you love it here. If you ever need any support, feel free to contact me!

each2each
11-03-2009, 03:09 PM
The daily ups and downs are usually shared between the members of my immediate family because we all work out regularly at the same gym. Beyond that, some close friends may get a phone call when I hit the major markers (10 lbs, 15 lbs, 20 lbs, etc.) or I'll tell them when asked, but otherwise I don't generally advertise the changes.

mom4life
11-03-2009, 03:47 PM
I tell my husband and my best friend. The only times I've told others is when I hit my mini goals. I'mm trying to motivate a few friends with my journey, some are also joining the race too. YAY!

Stella
11-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I didn`t initially. So often, I have told others about my great planned and then I have lost nout. This time, I have lost and not told people. I wanted to wait until they notice and know that any comments passed are genuine. I`ll now say things like, I`ve put last year`s winter wardrobe on ebay as it`s too large, etc, but not a lot more than that.

cheerios
11-04-2009, 07:09 PM
I do tell others about my sucess but sometimes i wish i haven't because i feel that there is a pressure to show them that i never eat unhealthy food. Like on Halloween i reached for a choclate bar and my sister smacked it off my hand cause she knew i was trying to eat healthy. But come on can't i just have one little piece. I just feel that i have to be the perfect person who is trying to lose wieght and who never slips up but i do! I just don't show them cause they will be on me like vultures staring at me like damn..................... idk i just wish i never told anyone and let them see if they see any changes in my body t hen i would tell them yes i did lose weight but i wouldn't reveal how much i loss

s rosa
11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
I don't tell anybody. When I was younger and would start trying to lose weight, I would tell my parents, and they would just scoff and really not believe me, and they had this little "shocked" act when I would say "I'm headed to the gym". It drove me crazy. Yes, mom and dad, I understand that I've been lazy and I'm not the best eater, and I understand that you've heard this before, but every time they did that, it was like, twist the knife a little deeper why don't you!

My husband would NEVER be like that, but it's happened so often that I'd rather just keep it to myself and let them see the weight come off. We all have to start somewhere, and I don't need them holding me back!:)

Fat in Hong Kong
11-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Too many times in the past when I've tried to diet, I've told people ... my family, friends, people I work with ... and I always end up feeling under pressure, as though everyone is watching me ... and some just waiting for me to slip up! I hate it if I've had a bad week and people start to ask how much I've lost that week,. This time, I've only told my husband, daughter and mother that I'm trying to lose weight ... but they don't know how much I weigh, and I only update them if they ask. The only person that I have completely confided in is my best friend as we are doing it together ... we've started to weigh-in together each week, and if we have a bad week we don't feel embarrassed that each other knows, and we are keeping each other motivated.

CakeBatter
11-05-2009, 08:30 AM
I tell my "soon-to-be", my BF and my Pod-mate because she is on WW too. Other than that only when asked. Also I will tell how much I have lost but not my weight.

CruiseCAT
11-05-2009, 09:04 AM
My DH is right there with me (has been for years) so he pretty much knows about EVERY pound up or down.

My long time friends have also seen me up and down so they really don't want to hear it and I don't talk about it. Even if they they bring it up I will just tell them that I'm not on a "diet" this time, just eating less and moving more; something I can live with for life.

As for my family that is a tough one; we (3 girls) have all had weight issues all our lives and of the three I was the smallest and have even been "normal" a couple times. They look at me and will say "what weight problem". It will be interesting, we are all getting together for a week at Thanksgiving and I can hear it now.... "you're getting too thin". I've been trying to come up with some good come backs that won't make them feel like crap but the fact of the matter is their perception of "normal" is warped.

DivineFidelity
11-05-2009, 10:44 AM
There are actually a lot of people who know I'm trying to lose weight. My bf and his roommate and all his friends and my friends and my parents and friends of the family and people at church...blah blah etc. lol.

Originally I just told my best friend, my bf, and my parents...but my mom talk a lot and she's really proud of what I'm trying to do so she's told a lot of people...and I've been in a lot of situations where I've had to be like "no thank you" when either my friends or the bf's friends offer me food or alcohol, and they ask me why...so I tell them "I'm on a diet and I don't need the calories"

It doesn't really bother me that so many people know. I know that I will make it to my goal, I'm not worried. Yeah occasionally I might eat something I'm not supposed to, and I might gain a bit back....but if I've lost it once, I can lose it again. I WILL eventually make it.

I'm actually glad that so many people know. My best friend was starting WW at home around the same time that I was...so I can talk to her about it and she'll understand....and BOTH my bf (6'1" and 270 lbs..and he carries it ALL in his belly) and my mom (5'7" and around 250 I think) have been talking about how they want to lose weight. They still have a lot of excuses...money and time being the big ones...but the more they see me lose the more I can see them making healthier choices (my mom was a soda addict, and now only drinks crystal light...and the bf now drinks slimfast or eats a single granola bar (instead of the 4 or 5 he used to eat) for breakfast instead of buying drive-through on the way to class)...

I guess I don't mind people knowing because I can see other people being inspired by my success, and I'm just glad that I'm able to help people decide they want to be healthier. =D