Weight Loss Support - What was your "UGH!" moment?

View Full Version : What was your "UGH!" moment?

alyssamichelle
10-25-2009, 12:55 PM
I am just starting out, as I have said in other posts. I was just wondering if you could share what the moment was like for you when you became committed?

I was sitting on my bed changing my daughter's diaper and I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. That was just a few days ago, and up until that point, I think I tried to avoid looking at myself in the mirror at all, besides above my neck. I thought to myself, "My god...how did I get so fat?!" And, that was my moment. Well, the BIG moment anyway. There were several other moments, too. But, that was the one that got me started.

Care to share yours?

duckyyellowfeet
10-25-2009, 01:13 PM
My biggest "ugh" moment actually happened a while before I decided to start loosing weight.

I'm in a sorority, I know my sisters don't care that I'm heavy but for a while, I was one of the heaviest women we have in chapter. For formal recruitment (the new PC term for Rush), we all order the same shirt. Chapter's order only when through a size XL through American Apparel, which runs notoriously small; there was no way that I was going to fit into an XL. And while it seems like just a shirt, without these shirts, I don't go to Recruitment, and not going to Recruitment means I have no say in the women who will then become my sisters.

So I had to email and call and beg to see if American Apparel even carried a XXL, pay more money per shirt to even be able to order that size and still had to wear Spanx the whole weekend. It was one of the most humiliating experiences I've had because normally, I can just buy clothes that fit and no one has to know the size. I just couldn't believe that my

We changed companies this past year and it wasn't an issue. Plus, those shirts actually fit me now. I've also made sure that we always offer through at least an XXL and I will stand up for those sisters who can't do it for themselves. But that weekend sticks in the back of my mind as "I can't believe I let myself go so much" moment.

VernDern
10-25-2009, 02:15 PM
I had several things happen that pushed me to get started.

The first thing that just got me really down was of course a picture taken at my aunts birthday dinner. I thought I looked pretty good for the night. I got all dressed up, did my makeup and hair, and was having a good time. Then we took pictures and well...I had never looked fatter.

Then about a month later I went to the fair with my dad. He wanted to ride all of the rides. I did too but I was scared I wouldnt fit. I sucked it up because I didnt want to tell him and figured if he thought I would fit, since he wanted us to ride them, then I would give it a go. I *barely* fit into most of them. At one point when one of the workers came around to check the above your shoulders thing he stood there for longer than a couple seconds pushing the thing down so it would click. I couldnt breath and the metal on the side of the seat was absolutely killing my thunder thighs. As we rode up side down, spinning around my legs ached from being so tight in that seat. I was affraid as we were riding that I was going to break the seat and go flying across the state fair. It was absolutely my moment now that I think about it. I didnt realize how much it was until I started writing this.

Oh, and the fact that I only had 1 pair of pants out of my MANY that would even fit me and even those were tight. **I can now fit into a few!!!**

Sanna Maria
10-25-2009, 02:28 PM
My UGH moment was realising that it was painful to wear high heels because of my weight.

Mickeypnd
10-25-2009, 02:30 PM
hmm My Ugh moment came when I couldn't even look at a mirror of myself without hating what I was and what I looked like.

Havisham
10-25-2009, 02:35 PM
My UGH moment came so long ago that I can't remember it - but I know that I'm horrified every time I see myself in a photo. In our bathroom at work we have a large floor to ceiling mirror that is unavoidable and I can just about live with it, if I try really hard not to look (especially not to acknowledge that in some shoes I walk like a fat woman!).

Whenever I see a photo of myself I'm just appalled....and I can almost understand my ex-best friend saying that I was too fat and would ruin her wedding pictures so I couldn't be in the wedding party...almost! :)

Mickeypnd
10-25-2009, 02:37 PM
My UGH moment came so long ago that I can't remember it - but I know that I'm horrified every time I see myself in a photo. In our bathroom at work we have a large floor to ceiling mirror that is unavoidable and I can just about live with it, if I try really hard not to look (especially not to acknowledge that in some shoes I walk like a fat woman!).

Whenever I see a photo of myself I'm just appalled....and I can almost understand my ex-best friend saying that I was too fat and would ruin her wedding pictures so I couldn't be in the wedding party...almost! :)

OMG Im glad she's your ex-best friend! That's horrible!

:hug::hug:

Rainbow
10-25-2009, 02:45 PM
I've had lots of those moments and I've had lots of failed attempts at losing weight. Normally it was when I saw photos of myself (which were normally very quickly deleted). I always planned to lose weight though as a lot (though not all) was pregnancy weight but when I broke my ankle and had to be carried up a flight of stairs in a wheelchair at the weight of 273lb at my sister in law's wedding (so humiliating but fortunatly family didn't seem to think anything of it though they had been drinking) I knew that was enough of being so heavy and I had to do something about it and I had to be sucessful. I didn't restart losing weight until March this year as I didn't want to cut calories until my ankle had recovered.

Havisham
10-25-2009, 02:46 PM
OMG Im glad she's your ex-best friend! That's horrible!

:hug::hug:

Thanks, Mickey, yes, she's definitely an ex best friend. Like an idiot I still killed myself helping her with the wedding...I guess back in those days I felt that my weight made me less worthy of respect than I do now.

:hug:

Smiling_Sara
10-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Got measured for my sisters wedding. I was MOH. I was told I had to order the largest dress they had. A Size 28, and perhaps have to ADD material to it. That day was the day I started my life change. By the time the wedding came, I had to have it taken in TWICE.

garnetrising
10-25-2009, 03:38 PM
I've been overweight for a long time and it could be argued that my entire life up until about two weeks ago was on very long "ugh" moment. Sure there would be days where I didn't feel so bad about my weight but it always came right back to the front of my mind. I think the biggest thing is DH and I want to have kids eventually and I've never been very regular and I know that my weight has something to do with that. I was thinking about it a few days ago and I realized that I really am making the best decision of my life. If I were to get pregnant at this weight and gain 30 lbs, I'd suddenly find myself at 260 lbs. Losing weight is hard enough without having to try and lose more. I can get this problem under control now and it would be better for me in the long run, and any little ones who happen into this world.

TMG2008
10-25-2009, 03:40 PM
I had several things happen over a few week period in early June of 2006 that started me on the road to a healthier life and weight. First, I was having chest pains, almost serious enough for me to go to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. Second, I went to an amusement park and ALMOST didn't fit into the seat of an older roller coaster - I felt the fat on my hips slide up as I pushed my rear end down into the seat. I sat there thinking how mortified I would have been if I couldn't fit in the seat. And finally I overheard someone make a comment to my daughter in school when I was helping out about my being fat. It was like a triple whammy and the combination of all three things happening made me finally get serious about permanently trying to lose this weight. I spent a few days reading and trying to figure out how to go about it so that I had the best chance of losing and MAINTAINING this time. I knew I was serious because we were leaving for our summer vacation in two weeks and in the past I would have said I'll start after we get home from vacation. But I had decided that the only change I was going to make that summer was to try to eat a little less at every meal. Nothing big, no counting calories or anything, just trying to make a little better choices and eat a little less. So I figured it wouldn't be that hard to do that even when on vacation. By the end of the summer I had lost about 7 pounds just with that small change. Then in the fall I added exercise and started counting calories more and then the weight loss picked up.

The key for me has been that I have never made any changes that I can't live with permanently. I still eat fast food, I eat out just as much as before, I just try to make better choices most of the time. I've accepted a slower pace of weight loss (one pound a week at most) in exchange for still allowing myself to eat the things I like a few days each week. So for me, this is the way my life is now and will always be. There is no end to my "diet" even when I reach my goal weight. I feel like my body will naturally level out at the weight that I can maintain with how I am living my life in terms of eating and amount of exercise. And I'm happy with that.

angelanicole23
10-25-2009, 04:22 PM
My UGH moment was at the end of Sept 07. I was at a friend's house for our usual 'girl's night' which of course included a lot of snacks. When I went to use the washroom I weighed myself. I had guessed I was about 210 or so..but when I got on the scale it read 230. I was in disbelief. I felt disgusting...we had just ate tons and tons of junk. I vowed that Oct 1 (which was a Monday)
I would start my weightloss journey. I am so glad that I did step on the scale that night.
I spent the entire Sunday planning out a few days with my old weight watcher material. I didn't actually join WW and I started just by walking daily. Almost a year later and a lot more confidence I joined a gym. I am the healthiest and smallest I've ever been in in my entire adult life.

lunameower
10-25-2009, 06:02 PM
I've been overweight all of my life and didn't really care, yeah, sure, I wanted to be able to shop wherever I wanted for clothes, but I loved food way more. When I was about twenty-four, about seven years ago, I was diagnosed with diabetes and a seizure disorder which were unrelated. Sure, I was scared then, and vowed to be good, but they put me on medication and my blood sugar seemed okay, but I quickly went back to my old ways and stopped taking medication because I couldn't afford it and had no insurance.
Then, about four months ago I had a seizure where I somehow received to pretty bad cuts on my feet and they became infected even though I tried to take good care of them, I knew that this was largely due to my poor diet and diabetes. I went to the doctor who gave me some antibiotics which I had an allergic reaction to and I was like scared I was going to lose my big toe on my left foot where one of the worst cuts was, anyway, I made it through it, but vowed that I needed to make some changes.
There is also the fact that Shaun and I want to have a baby, pretty soon, like within the next year, but I need to be in a lot better shape for that.

JustBeckyV
10-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Mine was a combination. I just started finding old class mates on facebook and seeing how NONE of them had gained weight. Also - my dad had surgery about that same time and we were at the hospital waiting for him to go in and somehow it came up how much he weighs -- 237 and he is over 6' tall. ummm that was the same as me and I am 5' 3" -- made me realize just how heavy i was. I mean I knew but it was put into perspective yanno?

JulieJ08
10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
My mother has diabetes, and both my sister's had gestational diabetes. When I found out my dad had diabetes too, I was too scared to stay fat.

beatific
10-25-2009, 09:46 PM
I've been overweight for a long time and it could be argued that my entire life up until about two weeks ago was on very long "ugh" moment.

I feel this way as well. For the longest time I've always wanted to lose weight, even when I was normal weight.

My AHA moment came this past July. I was on youtube and I stumbled upon some weight loss videos. I spent a week constantly watching videos -- I was mesmerized. That was when I realized that I could actually lose the weight, that it was not impossible.

:)

lovetorun
10-25-2009, 10:01 PM
My ugh moment was realizing that I was still wearing a pair of maternity pants when my "baby" was 22 months old. I hadn't accepted that I was no longer thin and refused to buy appropriate clothes. Also, catching site of a very unsightly muffin top spilling over the one pair of jeans that fit me.
Of course there have been many ugh moments building up to these two incidents -- mainly to do with seeing myself in photos.

justaloozer
10-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I have had lots of UGH moments but nothing really stuck out to me until about 2.5 weeks ago when my husband told me he was sick of my being so unhappy about my weight and doing nothing to fix it. He said not only was I miserable, I was making everyone around me miserable. At first I was a bit miffed. Then I realized he was right. I never want to go out, never want to do much because of my weight. It affects my relationship with my husband and children. And I don't want my kids to grow up seeing how much I hate myself.

amynbebes
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Two things really, feeling the need to hide behind others in informal family pics Christmas of 2008 and running out of pants that fit.

DCHound
10-26-2009, 11:49 AM
I had millions of them, but none of them actually spurred me to do anything. For me, it took the opposite..an "I love you and you are worth it" moment. The details are boring, but early last August I finally, in a flash, realized that I had never loved myself and that was the root of my problem. I started faking it, committed to a radical lifestyle change, and never looked back. Here I am 14 months later and now 140 lbs smaller.

There were just so many ugh moments, but none of them did the trick for me.

ubergirl
10-26-2009, 11:54 AM
I had a bunch of ugh moments, although none of them made me change...

One was getting on an airplane and realizing that I couldn't buckle the seat belt.

One was needing to change at work and routing around for the largest size scrubs... 1X didn't fit, 2X didn't fit,3X didn't fit, and 4X was tight around the hips. The 5X box was empty. So I put on the 4X, came out of the locker room, and one of the nurses said "you know, those come in larger sizes..."

But the funny thing is, none of those made me change. The thing that made me change was when a huge success came my way, and I realized that I was not going to be able to enjoy it because I was going to be afraid to get out and make the most of it because I was so upset about how I looked.

Someone told me "this is your shot, don't blow it..." and I realized that I really really wanted to succeed and I would never succeed if I didn't tackle the weight problem. That was June 19th 2009 and I haven't looked back since.

Havisham
10-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I had a bunch of ugh moments, although none of them made me change...

One was getting on an airplane and realizing that I couldn't buckle the seat belt.

One was needing to change at work and routing around for the largest size scrubs... 1X didn't fit, 2X didn't fit,3X didn't fit, and 4X was tight around the hips. The 5X box was empty. So I put on the 4X, came out of the locker room, and one of the nurses said "you know, those come in larger sizes..."

But the funny thing is, none of those made me change. The thing that made me change was when a huge success came my way, and I realized that I was not going to be able to enjoy it because I was going to be afraid to get out and make the most of it because I was so upset about how I looked.

Someone told me "this is your shot, don't blow it..." and I realized that I really really wanted to succeed and I would never succeed if I didn't tackle the weight problem. That was June 19th 2009 and I haven't looked back since.

Wow - you've lost 53lbs since June? That is AWESOME! Good for you! :D

angieaang
10-26-2009, 02:39 PM
I was going to say the same thing!! That is outstanding, ubergirl!!! :)

mayness
10-26-2009, 02:57 PM
I've lost all this weight once before, and then regained it all.

The first time, I didn't really have a "moment." I had been unhappy with my weight since I was about 10 years old. One day, when I was 19, I just said "hey, they couldn't sell all these diet and exercise things if they didn't at least work a little bit... let's see what I can do!" I ordered a set of FIRM exercise DVDs and equipment, and started out on Slim Fast but switched to calorie counting (with CalorieKing) a while later. I just... stuck with it. I have no idea what was motivating me, if anything. :p

I regained the weight slowly... and then the Christmas before last, I saw pictures of myself and thought, "wow, I really let myself go again!" So I started "trying" to lose the weight. I "tried" for nearly two years, starting at 145, but hovering between 130-135 since then.

The truth is, I didn't really WANT to put in the effort. Until about 3 weeks ago, when I realized that as much work as it would be, it would probably be worth it. So, ever since, I've been committed again! (I haven't lost much weight, but that's because I gained some muscle... I've lost a lot of size in less than a month!)

MeowMix
10-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Probably when tying my own shoes became a chore and made me out of breath and I started having my husband doing it for me. That and having a hard time washing myself in the shower, ick.

Not being able to do mundane things for myself is waaaaaay to scary and I just wont stand for it.

PammyFl
10-26-2009, 03:27 PM
My ugh moment started as revenge. I had just gotten out of a 4 year relationship and I wanted revenge more than anything so I started eating healthy and loosing weight. As I started to lose weight my Ugh moment was just looking at myself in pictures and the mirror. I was horrified at what I had become and wasn't going to be looking back at that girl in the mirror ever again.

BellaDiva
10-26-2009, 03:47 PM
I had 3 UGH moments. The first happened two summers ago, I was the maid of honor in my best friend's wedding and I hate looking at myself in those pictures.
The other two came in August of this year. First I found out that one of my very dear friends is getting married and I want to enjoy these pictures.

The last UGH moment came over the course of 11 days. I spent these days on a outdoor biology course for school. We were hiking, backpacking and rafting all over the place and I was last on every hike, it felt horrible. I want to be able to keep up with people in my own age bracket for once. This summer I want to go back to the really hard hike and do it again.

owensmommy4
10-26-2009, 06:32 PM
I can remember as a kid being made fun of because my mom was heavy, the other kids would say "your mommy is a big fat whale" and I remember how bad that made me feel and now I have a son and I don't ever want him to be made fun of because of me. Also most of my family has health issues from being overwieght like diabetes and heart problems and I found that I was starting to show early signs of those issues and I do not want to leave my son mommyless.

Sunnigummi
10-26-2009, 07:30 PM
As strange as it sounds, it was my wedding pics that were my "ugh" moment. For 6 months leading up to my wedding, I took exercise classes 3-4 times a week but ate like a horse afterward. Forget losing weight, I gained in the process! I was also incredibly stressed which contributed to the binge eating.

The week of my wedding I just didn't eat much and I lost 6 lbs. Just like that. I realized then that my eating was out of control, not "exercise" per say. When I moved to NC to live with my husband, I started controlling my portions and focused on my "full" feeling. I have lost about 12 lbs since and decided I want to go all the way and lose another 20 or so. Right now I'm slacking but (as usual) reading the posts on here makes me feel better and I feel like I can get back on track tomorrow. :)

Ceelo92
11-01-2009, 02:37 AM
My 'ugh' moment was on October 16th when a bunch of friends and I went to an amusement part for a Halloween fest. We went to ride my favorite roller coaster (which I went on Summer of '08 for the last time) and I was SO embarrassed because my seat belt wouldn't click because of my thunder thighs and the lady that came around making sure everyone was strapped in had to tell me I was too big for the ride..... I was mortified :(

petfresh
11-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Hmm, part of it, I believe, was a friend from college telling me all she was going to do from the end of the year was sit in her mom's basement getting fat. I stepped on the scale a couple months afterwards and realized I was nearly 190lbs. I decided, I don't want that to be me. I never really had an "ugh" moment, but I am getting them a lot more recently. Like seeing the way my belly looks when I lay on my back. I don't look overly fat in the clothes I wear, but I wear them to complement my body. I don't want my butt hanging out when I bend over, I don't want to have to wear sweaters to cover my muffin top. I don't want to doubt myself because of my fat.

paradoxx
11-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I've had countless UGH moments and tried countless plans that didn't work for me. What finally did it was little really. My lower legs have always been very toned. I've done dance, martial arts, soccer, etc. and no matter how heavy I was, my lower legs were shapely and attractive. I wore tons of knee-length, A-line skirts that focused the attention on that area. One day, I went into a store and was trying on some knee-length dresses. I looked in the mirror and realized that my legs looked fat. This devastated me because it was the one bit of my body that I had always been happy with. I went home and tried on my tall boots (which I hadn't worn in some time because it was summer) and realized that I couldn't zip them up anymore. That did it. After that I decided to do whatever it took.

raebeaR
11-01-2009, 04:06 PM
My "Ugh," moment is a little personal, but I'll share it because motivation can come from very surprising places. Sorry; this is a long one...

I was unexpectedly widowed a little over 2 years ago. My late husband was the man of my dreams, we'd worked very hard to be together and losing him was the most horrible thing I've ever suffered. I had gained a lot of weight during our marriage cooking the things for him he loved, but it was he who, despite being fit and thin, died of a massive heart attack at the all-too-young age of 55. My grief knew no bounds, and I consoled myself with food and liberal amounts of wine. Though a little worried about my own health, I didn't really care if I died for a long time.

Gradually the funk began to clear, and concern over my health began to poke at me harder. I'm very healthy -- no diabetes issues or hypertension -- but obesity catches up, and I know that. Still, my efforts to lose weight were overcome by feelings of guilt that I might become attractive again... I really didn't want any male attention, and losing weight always invites that. So I carried on with the unhealthful ways.

Then something unexpected happened. In my usual morbid fashion, I was perusing the obituaries in a newspaper from where I used to live. I came across the death notice of the wife of a man to whom I had once been very close; in fact, he had had a significant crush on me. Nothing inappropriate ever happened... it was one of those, "if things were different," situations. He was married and honored his vows, and I would never traverse someone's marriage in any case, so we left it alone. But I sent him a sympathy card. I realized my biggest fear was that he would see me now, 100 pounds heavier than I'd been when last we knew each other. UGH. And I understood I was finally ready to move forward with my life and lose my "fat cocoon."

He drove nearly 800 miles one way to come see me about 5 weeks after we first spoke, and I was terrified of what his reaction would be. It was much too soon after his wife's death, he realized this after he arrived and left to continue with his grieving process within hours after his visit. We had a nice chat and that was about it. When he left, he said, "We really must keep in touch." I put my hands on his shoulders, looked at him hard and said, "I'll leave that entirely up to you." I wanted to give him a graceful way out now that he'd actually seen how fat I was.

He called a week later and we've carried on with our conversations... who knows where things may lead? He's planning another visit in the spring.

Funny thing, though... I mentioned during one of our phone calls that I was working on losing weight... he said, "Well, please don't lose TOO much, like 14 pounds or something. I'd hate for you to lose your 'stuff!'" Honest to god, he can't even see how heavy I've gotten... which is kind of cool... but I had already started this journey toward better health in earnest even before he called. Whether anything comes of our renewed friendship or not, I will always be grateful to him for showing me the way out of the dark. And his upcoming visit next spring is a pretty powerful motivator. :o

dragonwoman64
11-01-2009, 07:14 PM
My "Ugh," moment is a little personal, but I'll share it because motivation can come from very surprising places. Sorry; this is a long one... And his upcoming visit next spring is a pretty powerful motivator. :o

that is such a good story. lots of good stories here.

considering how high my weight has gotten a couple of times, I think I'm very lucky healthwise. A few years ago, I had bleeding from my breast, completely freaked me out. I thought I might have something serious, possibly cancer. Going to the doc, getting a mamogram, all that made me realize how serious a thing it is to be healthy and for me to take care of my health. I guess I had this idea in my head that I was physically invincible. (turned out to be ok, btw, I didn't have cancer.)

yes, I struggled with all the social issues, fitting into seats, finding clothes, being embarrassed, even depressed, lack of stamina. But that run in with doctors and the hospital did it for me. That goes beyond ugh, maybe that's more like holy freakin' cow. Marge, what are you doing to yourself?

I have a much greater respect for my body now, what it needs and deserves.

kestrel
11-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Mine came in August 2008, two small ones back to back. First was the Old Navy $12 jean sale. I had my 3rd child in July of 2008 and was larger post partum, needed some bigger jeans. I grabbed a size 18, the largest they had, and could barely wedge myself into them. I wore them but man, they were unflattering, I'm surprised the button and zipper didn't just give out. A few days later we were at the county fair with my parents who were visiting from cross country. I saw a picture of myself from behind and holy crap! Who was that fat girl whose big butt had eaten me?

That was in the back of my mind and then on another message board I saw someone's weight loss ticker and they had lost a lot of weight. We used to live near each other and she was a really big girl, so I PMd her and asked her how she did it. She told me about her experience with Weight Watchers and then, on September 17th, I signed up online. I lost about 65 lbs and it really improved my health, I'm so glad I did it!

InControl2Day
11-01-2009, 10:10 PM
A lot of "ugh" moments for me

1) Realizing I have to see my sister in NY for thanksgiving...she wants to "shop" with me... meaning I need to haul my butt to the gym!

2) My parents want me to visit them sometime in February and I was 15x lbs last year around last December.. I want them to know I have things under control and am a capable adult

most importantly though ...
3) Holding my boyfriend back from doing things he wants to do because I feel ugly going out nor can any of my going out clotes fit. ...
we're young but I want to enjoy life not live like a hermit
... I burst into tears about 1 month ago when my boyfriend asked "why do you wear the same outfits every week".... and I replied "nothing fits"

thus began my quest to be healthier and happier!

s rosa
11-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Mine happened this past June. I've been changing little things gradually the over the past year, but nothing major. Then in June my husband and I went to Disney World for a week for a pre-deployment vacation. It was a wonderful week, full of great memories. When we got back, I got out my camera to show the in-laws and my parents pictures of our trip, and realized that out of 506 pictures, I was not in a SINGLE one of them, because I hate the way I look. Went through my other pictures and realized - I have no pictures of my husband and me since our wedding, two and a half years ago, because my weight makes me so ridiculously self-conscious.

I'm slowly losing, and when he comes home to a brand new wife (:D) we are going on a romantic cruise and there are going to be MANY pictures of the two of us.:cloud9:

sawa1210
11-01-2009, 11:06 PM
My first one was when my little girl (2.5 yrs old) told me I was pretty. I realized what a powerful role model i COULD be for her, if only I could develop a little self-worth and take care of myself!

My second one was when I realized all my clothes, even my "fat" clothes, were too tight. The idea of having to spend money on clothes in BIGGER sizes rather than smaller sizes finally hit me! Money is tight right now and the thought of having to "waste" money on clothes that would'nt even be any fun to shop for was devastating.

Aussie Nikki
11-02-2009, 01:32 AM
I had a couple of UGH moments too, within a couple of weeks of each other:

1. My digital scales had run out of batteries, and for a couple of months I kept "forgetting" to buy some more. I thought I was about 120kg tops (about 264 pounds) but when I finally got new batteries, I was horrified when 135kg (297 pounds) flashed up. HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?

2. For ages I couldn't shop at "regular" shops, but even at the fat girls shops the clothes only went up to size 24. I'd been through size 20, then size 22, and when I started having to get size 24, it was a massive wake-up call. Where would I go from there?

3. A friend gave me a really stern talking to. I was complaining about my weight and how hard it was yet again, and she laid it bare. She said I was the only one who could do something about it, and it wasn't really that hard etc etc etc. A bit of tough love was exactly what I needed!

I needed those moments, because before whenever I tried to lose weight my heart wasn't in it. This time, I know it's for real!

Cali Doll
11-02-2009, 07:48 AM
I wasn't sure how to answer this because the truth is the past 10 years have been an UGH moment for me.

It all just came to head on April 5, 2009 when I decided to stop wanting and to actucally DO! Something clicked that day and I haven't looked back since. Now I'm 10 pounds from goal. Unreal!

heyaim
11-02-2009, 08:23 AM
I was growing out of all my jeans. I also realized that every time I sat down I always made sure a pillow was nearby so I could put it in front of my belly.

Civakas
11-02-2009, 09:37 AM
A few things happened earlier this year:
- I only had a few outfits I actually fit. I went to the store and had to buy my first item of clothing in a size 16.
- I wore that item, jeans, to the movie theater and as I sat down my thighs touched the armrests on both sides of the seat. That had never happened to me before.
- I stepped on the scale and saw 192. I realized how close I was to the 200s.

twinklebug
11-02-2009, 02:05 PM
I can relate to so many of these stories!!!

My ugh moment is relived every day. I loooove clothes. I used to be so cute in all of my clothes, and now my size 8 skinny jeans that I wore a year or so ago (at 145lbs) don't even go over my thighs. and at the time when i wore them, i thought i was fat (i was very wrong). So now I'm in denial, with a closet full of clothes that I can't fit into.

...working on it!!

dancerindenver
11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
great stories, ladies! My 'ugh' was trying on a bridesmaid's dress and realizing that people were going to see me spilling out of the dress in a few months time. I wish I had gotten it in gear sooner - I lost a lot of time turning down invitations to do things with friends when I wasn't feeling great about myself or didn't want to be seen in a bathing suit or whatever. I'm looking forward to taking part in everything now!

LittleMoonRabbit
11-02-2009, 04:05 PM
My "ugh" moment came in the summer of 2008. I went to the beach with a bunch of friends and their girl friends. I didn't think too much of it, until we got to the beach and I had to take off my clothes and reveal my bathing suit. I didn't realize just how insecure I had become about my weight. Here were a bunch of smokin' hot 20 somethings in bikinis... and then there was me. I spent the whole trip trying to cover myself up because I was so embarrassed. It made it virtually impossible to enjoy myself. Yet, these other girls, who were fit and toned, didn't care about any of that because they knew they looked good. I wanted to know what that felt like.

LookingForMeAgain
11-02-2009, 05:14 PM
There are no pictures of me. Not even with my newborn. None. Noone takes pictures of the fat girl and I dont go out of my way to get in them either. I want pictures of my family and that includes me. And Id like them to be decent pictures. I want to live and be present in my own life.

readytobeme2010
11-03-2009, 07:57 AM
WOW Alyssa what an awesome thread to start......

Mine was because for the past couple of years due to some pretty life changing events I took the time to work and transform alot of the "inside" of me, character issues, redeveloping my thinking etc....Now I knew It was time to work on my outside issues because I first took care of my inside. It was tough stuff for a couple of years, being introspective and training yourself to think differently than you have most your life. I got rid of the "stinkin" thinking and have replaced it with a positive outlook on who I am. Now in a healthy way I am ready to tackle my weight. Superficially I am 100% with everyone on this post. I hate to see my outside body in the mirror even now when I go to the gym and change into my workout clothes the mirror disgusts me and reminds me exactly why I am there UGH UGH

alyssamichelle
11-03-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm slowly losing, and when he comes home to a brand new wife (:D) we are going on a romantic cruise and there are going to be MANY pictures of the two of us.:cloud9:

Kick-butt goal!!! I love it!

I, too, realized the other day that my husband I aren't in any pictures together basically since our wedding. I believe there are three with us together, but those are absolutely horrible!!!

readytobeme2010
11-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Pictures are EVIL until..........hehehehe that's how i look at it...when i go to my mom's and see pics of me I want to vomit but that's reality at it's best i suppose

alyssamichelle
11-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Mine was because for the past couple of years due to some pretty life changing events I took the time to work and transform alot of the "inside" of me, character issues, redeveloping my thinking etc....Now I knew It was time to work on my outside issues because I first took care of my inside.

I've been working on the inside me for the past 8 years, and finally decided it was time to work on the outside me, too. It's difficult to really look at oneself and change the 'character defects' in order to become someone with whom we could love (ourselves). Totally know what you mean here. Congrats!

readytobeme2010
11-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Alyssa your awesome and i'm so glad to have a "buddy" now here and privately....WE are going to do it this time for OURSELVES....we have to .....ya know? PM me catch me up on your past few days

augeremt
11-04-2009, 01:20 AM
I've had a few "UGH!" moments over the years, mostly looking in the mirror and being disgusted or not fitting into most of my clothes, including my "fat" ones.

But the most recent one that has me fully committed and in the "I'm not getting any fatter" mindset happened last month when we were running laps for a new sports team I joined. I couldn't even run a whole mile! I had to stop and walk a few times. This is coming from a girl who used to run 3 - 6 miles at a time with no problem...just a few years ago.

And then I realized that although I perceive myself to be the same person as I was before, my body has changed and I can't do a lot of the things I used to be able to do quite easily. And that's scary.

Stella
11-04-2009, 05:23 PM
The first thing that just got me really down was of course a picture taken at my aunts birthday dinner. I thought I looked pretty good for the night. I got all dressed up, did my makeup and hair, and was having a good time. Then we took pictures and well...I had never looked fatter.

Yes, this used to happen a lot to me. Thinking I was looking good and then pictures showing me otherwise. I used to have a go at the person who took the photo, for making me look so fat.

Mango30
11-05-2009, 03:02 PM
I've had my share of Ugh moments. The first one, that spurred my initial weight loss of about 30 lbs was when I was 260 and wanted to leave my husband for various reasons. I was doing dishes one night and talked myself out of leaving him because "I'd never find anyone else and I'd spend the rest of my life alone." I was 23 at the time. Then I realized what I was saying to myself, I was letting my physical appearence and my self conciousness about that trap me in an unhappy and unhealthy marriage. It took me about a month, but I left my husband and immediatly started losing weight, just from being happier and making my own choices. I stalled out for about three years on the weight loss while I became increasingly more lonely and instead of getting out and dating I was sitting at home and eating my emotions.

Then, at a bar one night, there was this really "swell fellow" that "hadn't seen me around there before." He bought me a couple of drinks and when I left the bar he followed me, expecting to get laid because he bought the fat girl a drink. apparently to him, fat meant desperate and easy. That shook me up. Then, when I was complainig about it to my former bff, she said, "well, when you go to the bar with us people buy us all alot more drinks." Meaning, I make them look better.

So, essentially, my ugh moment, was realizing that yes, my weight was going to leave me lonely forever. Of course, now I'm in the 190's after getting as low as 158 and I'm still alone, but I've found better reasons to get and stay thin since then.