Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #1  

Default New goal

I made my goal of 180 lbs, which is very exciting. I've been working on losing this for about 2 years. I lost 20 lbs two years ago in 2 months, and then managed to make it through a vacation and the holidays while continuing to lose. According to my journal, I quit writing everything down in mid January of 2008. I gained back 10 lbs and maintained that until April of this year.

I decided to try it again, and something clicked this time. I think it's because I quit telling myself "I can't". I don't allow those words in any other area of my life except diet/exercise, but for whatever reason I had every excuse in the book to avoid or fail at weight loss.

So, I told myself "I can" and I've lost about 35 lbs this year.

I chose 180 as my goal weight because that was the weight I'd maintained for most of my adult life until I started gaining. Now I wonder how much lower I should go.

I've been as low as 165 before, but I did it in a very unhealthy way, and of course, gained it back as soon as I quit the unhealthy diet. And while I'm still in "I can" mode, it's never far from my thoughts that it's very easy to start gaining again. Believe me, I have my days...

I'd like some advice from those of you who have been here. Should I make a new goal, or should I just keep doing what I'm doing and let my body decide where to stop?

To give more info: I'm 6' tall.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #2  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

I'd look around and find out what the recommended ranges for someone of your height and age are. With my final goal, I chose the average of that range.

But don't go to extremes if your body can't get that low, either. I think, as long as your within the healthy weight range, whether it be at the high end, the middle, or the low end, as long as you're healthy - that's what matters.

Last edited by garnetrising; 10-25-2009 at 01:18 PM.
garnetrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #3  

Height: 5'11

Being 5'11 I also had this problem with what should be a good weight and healthy. I dont want to be super small but I want to be healthy. For my height I should be like 160 but I think thats a little low and im shooting for maybe 170-175 but once I get there I might change my mind. Just go with what its comfortable for you

Last edited by PammyFl; 10-25-2009 at 02:44 PM.
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote