100 lb. Club - Ode to squash!!

View Full Version : Ode to squash!!

nelie
10-25-2009, 12:37 PM
I have to say I am loving fall and winter. I am able to get fresh apples and squash from local farms.

Yesterday, we went to a local squash farm that boasts about having 30 varieties of squash or so. I bought over 50 lbs of squash.. and a few lbs of apples.

Last night, I cooked a blue pumpkin (aka jaradale) by cutting it up, putting it in the microwave to soften it a bit, then put it on a sheet pan and roasting it in the oven sprinkled with a bit of salt and pepper. Then when it was done, I cut it up and we ate it as part of dinner. This morning, I put some of the leftovers in my oatmeal. I also roasted the seeds (after saving a couple) and they are soo good.

So who else is with me on winter squash?

I have a feeling we will be eating squash for a couple months and I plan to roast and freeze the squash we won't eat in the next month.

Here is a picture of the Jaradale
http://www.comusmd.com/images/pumpkin_jaradale.jpg

harrismm
10-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Luv it!

KaCee J
10-25-2009, 12:59 PM
:bravo: for squash!

JulieJ08
10-25-2009, 01:22 PM
Have you frozen squash before? I've read instructions to just cube and freeze it raw (sounds difficult), to blanche it first (still a lot of raw squash cutting), but never *after* roasting it. That sounds easiest, but I wondered about texture.

mescelestus
10-25-2009, 01:43 PM
I love that, I used to have that with pasta. It makes me miss my grandma, and pasta lol!

JustBeckyV
10-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I don't think I have ever eaten it -- not sure if I can though either -- I am allergic to pumpkin

evilwomaniamshe
10-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Nelle that is a darn nice looking squash! I love squash 'specially buttercup with just a big dose of black fresh ground pepper, my absolute fave! I could eat it everyday...

nelie
10-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Julie - I've never frozen it after cooking, I didn't even think that there would be a reason not to.. hmm. I have frozen (chunky) squash soup before and didn't have an issue.

Becky - you can't have any winter squashes?

nooch
10-25-2009, 02:34 PM
That really sounds like paradise. I love squash!

kaplods
10-25-2009, 02:37 PM
My mom and grandmother always froze winter squash after cooking, and it was always good. When you buy it in the grocery store, it's also usually already cooked. I think home-frozen doesn't lose as much texture as the grocery store stuff - or maybe the brands I've had have just overcooked it.

Suezeeque
10-25-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm a squash lover too. I envy you that you have all those varieties available. The local store just has the 3-4 standard varieties. The picture is a beautiful squash. I usually cook a whole butternut in the microwave and eat the whole thing. I get the ones with the longest neck I can because that's where the meat is. I put spray butter and a little salt on it.

JulieJ08
10-25-2009, 09:21 PM
I guess it's just time for me to cook some winter squash again and try to freeze some! Although to be honest, it's not hard for me to use up a butternut squash by myself without freezing leftovers. But it would be nice to be able to pull some out for lazy nights.

JustBeckyV
10-25-2009, 09:38 PM
IDK if I can or not lol I am more allergic to the spices in pumpkin pie so maybe I could - I don't think it's the actual pumpkin.

How do you cook it even?

WildThings
10-25-2009, 09:41 PM
I really wish I had the freezer space to stock up on squash (and everything else). I love winter squashes and I've been able to get a really good price on them right now, but I have very limited space. Hopefully by this time next year, I will be able to get a small chest freezer to store in season veggies.

nelie
10-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Becky - you can roast any squash in the oven, here is a website showing how:
http://www.elanaspantry.com/how-to-roast-a-pumpkin-in-10-steps/

JustBeckyV
11-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Thank you -- I am really trying to expand my foods yanno -- I bought a butternut squash and I am gonna cook it up and give it a try. I did eggplant last week - bought it - never used it lol

clarelou
11-01-2009, 10:53 AM
i adore squash! just this morning i bought some butternut squash. im planning to make a zero point soup this afternoon. (im following weightwatchers plan )

JustBeckyV
11-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Can you share the recipe?

dragonwoman64
11-01-2009, 01:43 PM
that is one gorgeous squash, the Jaradale. You all have me decided to amble over to the farmer's market here and make a curry squash soup for dinner tonight. I don't roast it that often at all, I don't know why. I love squash.

the seeds roasted are great to put on top of salads.

shcirerf
11-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I had a lot of yellow summer squash from my garden, I sliced it and tossed in ziplock bags in the freezer, I toss it in soups.

I also pickled a bunch, big ole round slices of dill squash, only need one for a burger.

Lyn2007
11-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I did a post recently with a recipe for Kabocha squash cooked in light coconut milk... you can also make any squash into a curry and it is fantastic!

MugCanDoIt
11-03-2009, 08:28 PM
wish I knew how to cook squash like that. I mean, like what to put it in, how to chop it, how to actually cook it. I would love to expand my tastebuds to some squash, I wish I could try a bit of someones to know if I'd like it. Hee hee!

Trying Yet Again
11-03-2009, 11:03 PM
I love butternut squash soup and spaghetti squash with marinara sauce. Both are quite filling.

shcirerf
11-03-2009, 11:42 PM
I use a lot of plain ole yellow summer squash, I call it crook neck squash in all kinds of stuff, I toss it in as filler in spaghetti sauce, in any casserole, in any potato dish, in soup, stew, slice it the long way and grill it, cube it and kebob it, this squash is a lot like zucchini in flavor and texture.

For some of the other squash, it depends, some are more like pumpkin, they make a great comfort soup, cook, blend, add some spices and have something like a pumpkin pie soup, yum. Some are better baked with pepper and that type of seasoning.

My Grandma used to take some kind, I can't remember and bake it with a big batch of onions and it was great.

Of course my mil makes the best breaded and deep fat fried zucchini you will ever eat. To bad it's not fattening.

What I've discovered, it's like all cooking, experiment. You never know what you'll come up with!

So you cook one squash and it's yuk, it's only one. Learn from it and try it again.:D

Guess I need to call my 90+ year old grammas and get their old recipes! I still have 2 and dh has one, should come up with some good ones.

By the by, I pickled some of my yellow squash, turned out great!