General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #1  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Default Storm of 1978... Please tell me about...

Hi...
I'm doing a project and the Storm of 1978 is my primary topic..

If you lived through it, or born during it...
Will you share a thought with me...

What was your experience like ?
What was it like in your neighborhood that week.
What were your kids doing ?
Are you a storm baby ?

Even if you weren't in this part of the country,
what do you remember about the reports coming out of New England...

Thanks Everyone ~~
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Caroline -- I turned 12 the day the "blizzard of 78" began. It was fun at the time because school was cancelled for several days after. That was the good news. The bad news was that our house was without power for a couple of days after the storm! Thank goodness we had a furnace that could burn wood and that we did a lot of camping in the summers. Out came the Coleman lantern and stove!

After they plowed the streets, my brother and I built a big snow fort right near the street. Good thing we weren't home a few days later when the plows tore into it widening the roads.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #3  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I was in the 8th grade and remember school was cancelled for the whole week. That was rare for us and really a treat.

My mom was a nurse and the hospital sent out various volunteers to come pick her up in four wheel drive vehicles to bring her to work. The hospitals advertised on the local news to recruit these drivers. You can tell I'm old now because this was way before SUV's!

Good luck with your project Caroline.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I was in the 7th grade when the storm hit. We had over 3 feet of snow in our front yard. School was cancelled for over 2 solid weeks here. In the housing addition we lived in the plows couldn't get through for 2 weeks. We built forts on the streets and had a blast. The biggest issue we faced was being unable to get to the grocery store which was miles away. I remember one day a man can by in a plow and my mother made me go with him to get supplies. I was terrified because he was a stranger but it turned out fine, LOL That was a storm that 30 years later I still remember like yesterday.

The day it started my sister and I were 2 doors down waiting to get a ride to school. It had just started snowing that morning and school was still on. Within a short time span the weather got fierce and snow was falling faster than I'd ever seen snow come down. School was cancelled at the last minute. Boy those were the days...
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

DH was a storm baby. His parents were without power for almost a week, and they moved their mattress into the living room in front of the fire. His dad was the police chief and said because no one could get out of their houses, he didn't have to leave his, so they played board and card games all week. Well, that's obviously not *all* they did, since he was born 9 months later.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:37 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I was in high school at the time. Of course, I loved having school canceled too. But the thing that sticks in my mind is how everyone came together. People checked on neighbors to make sure they were OK and had plenty of provisions. After the streets were passable, lots of people went outside and walked around the neighborhood, assessing the snow damage and sharing their experiences. Some folks set up free refreshments (drinks and cookies) in snow banks. I never felt more sense of community.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #7  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

These are great stories... thank you so much...

I worked in a hospital at the time and got called into work... they said they would send the 'national guard'.... my father walked with me up to the main street and I was pulled on board an open back utility vechicle with long benches. The neighbors were standing on the street waving, LOL... we made several stops to pick up others and finally made it to the hospital, where I remained for 5 days... we had fun though...
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #8  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

here is an artical from my neck of the woods, but I was 4 at the time and living in NYC. i remember playing in the snow in the streets because all traffic was shut down
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote