Old 10-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/205.2/199

Height: 5'1

Default Sodium/Carbs?

I began following the daily plate with my nutrition on Monday. I count my calories and stay within range. I have noticed, although I am significantly under my fat and cholesterol percentages, I have been over my sodium every day this week and over my carbohydrates all but one day. Will this cause a problem with my weight loss? I know sodium will make me retain water, but if I am working out/sweating and drinking a lot of water, will it still cause a problem? Health wise, this has never been an issue. My blood pressure is quite low, my cholesterol levels are low.
Also with the carbohydrates... will a higher carb level cause weight gain if I am staying within my calorie range?

Thanks!!
NBaxter2512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

The only real problem with sodium (for people with no health issues) is that if you're eating inconsistent amounts - a lot one day, a little the next - it can cause weight fluctuations that may be frustrating. It won't stop you from losing weight over time.

As for the carbs - what is your goal? I guess I should ask, what is the daily plate's goal for you? The right balance of macronutrients (carbs, fat, protein) is something fairly unique for each person... in general, calories are what matter most, but there are a lot of people who don't have any real health issues but can't seem to lose weight on high carb diets, or high fat diets, or whatever else. Others, like me, seem to be able to eat whatever ratios we want and lose weight just fine.

I guess for now, I'd advocate being sure that the carbs you're eating are worthwhile (whole grains, fruits, veggies) but not really worrying about the numbers. After a month or so, if you're not losing as much as you'd expect based on your calorie level, you could do some tweaking. Also, if you find yourself hungry all the time, you could adjust it - fat and protein generally keep you full longer than carbs.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/205.2/199

Height: 5'1

Thanks so much! I will keep a close eye on my weight and if I don't lose as quickly as expected, I will tweak it. I do believe I am eating very healthy and getting most carbs through whole grains, fruits, and veggies.
Thanks again!
NBaxter2512 is offline   Reply With Quote