South Beach Diet - Friday Chatter

View Full Version : Friday Chatter

Ruthxxx
10-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Good morning. It's nice to not be the first one up around here. I hope Fluff and Meelsie put on the coffee. :D

Busy Friday ahead with gym to start things off. I am becoming quite addicted but am still puzzling as to why I don't do this exercise thing here at home. Maybe I need the socialization?

Today will be a test of my knee replacement as I will work a long charity Bingo for the Fair - the first since June 2007. Please don't tell me to "Have fun" because these events are plain old hard work. :( However, without the Bingo profits, our Fair could not afford the calibre of entertainment that makes it a success after 178 years!

Some things are such that you just grit your teeth and plough through. I can hardly wait for my "me" time late this afternoon!

Hope your Friday has some fun in it. :cofdate:

SillyFluff
10-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Well it is finally the last day of Spirit Week. I am so ready for all this craziness to be over. I really shouldn't be like this because I remember spirit week when i was in high school. But still...LOL now I see what the teachers/administrators, etc were thinking. Its green and gold day. Funny thing actually...the high school I went to is the rival of the school I am working at...I am SOOOOOOO tempted to wear red and white...LOL
Have to go in early today to test a student because he/she is unable to take the standard tests. I have no problem with it, but I am concerned the teacher doesn't have the exam ready and I'm gonna be S.O.L. I'll have to let you guys know how that goes.
Gonna bring my tennis shoes and walk on the track again today and then mom and I are gonna walk when she gets home. Sunday is the last day of phase I for me. I told my mom to hide the scale because I went into the BR yesterday and saw it there and it was calling to me to step on it. I did. I was happy but I need it moved so that when the numbers aren't going down I don't get disheartened.
Well I'm off to go check my facebook. Later guys. Have an AWESOME day!

meelsie
10-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Yes gotta love that UK time difference. Was on here from work first thing this morning, I'm need a bit of motivation this morning as I was in such a rush to get into work that I had no time for breakfast! So toast and other naughty goodies from the staff cafe are calling me. I'm not listeningggggg!!

SillyFluff, i'm the exact opposite- I want to hunt down some scales! I want to check if i'm actually making any difference- I feel like I am, but need some form of confirmation to keep myself going I think. Although having said, I have just started back on the contraceptive pill as of Saturday just gone- so any weight gain will probably be from that. My poor body is going through all sorts right now! Beginning of the pill, phase one of South Beach, and i'm taking Apple Cider to help lose a bit of the weight, and for my skin (I suffer from psiorasis and it's very good for it)

Yes poor me. TGIF!

JellyBean32882
10-23-2009, 07:41 AM
meelsie, Apple Cider Vinegar? I take that. Helps with hunger and so much more benefits, it's been great. My skin cleared up in no time.

Well yesterday was fun, got some exercise raking leaves. I checked my weight this morning and I lost 13lbs altogether so far. I feel great about it.

meelsie
10-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Yes sorry Apple Cider Vinegar- but the tablets. I meant to write Apple Cider 600, the name of them.... but i'm still half asleep obviously!
What problems did you have with your skin that it helped with?

PS- 13lbs! That would nearly get to me to my goal wight! What phase are you on Jellybean?

JellyBean32882
10-23-2009, 07:49 AM
I had acne and breakouts alot.

Oh, I'm not on the SBD, I'm on my own little diet just eating less and more protein like sardines and eating weight watchers string cheese (which are so good btw) and I get a baked potato once a week at Wendy's, LOL

meelsie
10-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Ah interesting- I didn't realize it was also good for acne. Great news as my skin has broken out in recent weeks and it has been to the point where my face has HURT- something that's not happened before. My poor body's just trying to tell me to look after it I think! Hopefully the Apple Cider vinegar will get rid of my pimples in time for Halloween- I don't want to look THAT scary...

cottagebythesea
10-23-2009, 07:53 AM
:coffee: Good morning! Jake had the coffee ready by the time I came downstairs, and it's gooooooood! :)

I have most of the day off, just have to leave in time to pick up the girls at school, along with a friend who's coming over for a playdate. Richard promised he'd be home by 6. ;) I'm not sure what this morning will bring, as Jake has the day off and I can't get anything done when he's around.

Ah, rain is coming, just in time for the weekend. :( I'm going to my SIL's Tastefully Simple party tomorrow, so that may present a challenge. If she wasn't my SIL, I wouldn't even go. I don't think they have anything SBD friendly, but I vow to do my best!

:welcome3: meelsie! It's nice to meet you!

Fluff, I hope the tests are all ready to go for you, and your day goes well!

Ruth, I hope your knees pass the Bingo test without protesting!

JellyBean, good morning to you, too! Congratulations on that great 13lb. loss!

JellyBean32882
10-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Ah interesting- I didn't realize it was also good for acne. Great news as my skin has broken out in recent weeks and it has been to the point where my face has HURT- something that's not happened before. My poor body's just trying to tell me to look after it I think! Hopefully the Apple Cider vinegar will get rid of my pimples in time for Halloween- I don't want to look THAT scary...

Ya, I have the liquid kind of Apple Cider Vinegar and I just put a little in a glass of Apple Juice. It almost tastes like Hard Cider to me, lol.

Your breakouts could be hormonal or you are just eating alot of greasy foods - I used to get major breakouts just from eating McDonalds.

CyndiM
10-23-2009, 07:58 AM
Good morning chattery early Chicks :coffee2:

Ruth - I'm just too lazy to start the daily thread most days. I sit around sipping my coffee, catching up on Facebook and reading all my various news sites. :o
Good luck with Bingo. I hope the knee performs with flying colors. I know that Scotch will be waiting for you at day's end. Maybe with a nice hot soak.

Silly - You made it through spirit week! The lunchtime walking sounds like a good way to deal with the day. I have the same love/hate thing going with the scale. When I was losing I was very strict - once a week, everything as close to the same as I could make it.

Meelsie - Have you checked out any of the egg muffin or breakfast casserole recipes? Might be just the thing for those hectic days and keep the toast from talking to you ;)
Would love to know how the apple cider vinegar works for psoriasis. We both deal with that around here. My arthritis is connected to it so I'd definitely like to give it a try if it helps.

Jellybean - Glad to hear things seem to be working for you this time.

It's Friday :jig::cp: Seemed like it would never get here. Happily the boss is out all day so it will be a relaxing, pleasant day in the office. I'm off on a visit this morning then in doing paperwork and making calls all afternoon. After hours I'm meeting my former co-worker for a glass or two at a new pub. Should be a good day all around. I probably won't walk today because it's 20 degrees colder than yesterday and I'm a big wuss! Hm, we'll see :)

Hope your Friday flies by

* Cottage - I knew you were out there somewhere :) Sounds like maybe a relaxing morning at home?

JellyBean32882
10-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Cyndi, thanks.

Ruth, you play bingo too huh? I play online from diff sites, but mostly from gsn.com hoping to win a few bucks, not likely though cause I don't have the luck :(

meelsie
10-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Cyndi- i'd send you a link but can't as yet as my post count is too low. It's good for topical application (make sure you use organic, with the mother) to cleanse the top flakes right off as the acidity just eats away at it. It's painful but worth it....
I'm sure a quick google search would uncover the other benefits... otherwise I first learnt about it in a great book called "The Good Skin Diet" which changed the way I thought about food and myself. There's a great chapter on self worth and deserving to have good skin and body... and why we lash out and break diets- it also poses the question of maybe failing because we don't feel we deserve to have these things, something which I know hit home with me. The book is by an Australian nutritionist so it may be harder to find, but I know it's a popular one.

I'm really keen to get going on a breakfast frittata recipe but I have been BROKE this week, so have been eating breakfast from the staff cafe as it's very cheap- they do a mean poached egg so that's been me the past week... today is PAY DAY though, so i'm headed out to the supermarket tonight to either buy frittata ingredients... or egg and ham cups using a muffin tray.

I'm excited to do the south beach shop- this week has been hard without having anything decent (or legal) at home!

Jellybean- I think the break outs are just due to adapting to a new lifestyle. I moved to London from Australia 5 months ago and my diet hasn't been that great while i've been over here.
I don't think they're hormonal as i'm 23 and to start having odd breakouts for the first time is a bit odd- i've always had pretty clear skin apart from my psoriasis.
Can't afford McDonalds - poor traveller!

JellyBean32882
10-23-2009, 08:26 AM
I always thought I had Psoriasis in skin folds, but turned out to be Intertrigo.
I tried Dermarest Psoriasis cream, Psoriasin.. and they worked at first, but didn't stay working. Have you tried those for your psoriasis?

Chelby29
10-23-2009, 08:32 AM
WOW, Y'all are chatty this morning!

Ruth, One of the reasons Jazzercise is so great is the socialization part. I would NOT sweat in my living room like I do in class. :D

Fluff, It's PJ day at my son's school today!

Meelsie, I agree, you need an egg in the a.m. ;)

Cottage, Enjoy your day with Jake!

Cyndi, It's Friday! WooHoo!!

Jelly, Happy Friday! :)

Me: Busy, jean wearing day today. Yay! Tomorrow is our annual Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser at the Children's Center. Today we shop and decorate. I have to be at the kitchen tomorrow morning at 6. I will be working the registration table tomorrow. Perfect!

My in-laws who lost their home to a fire a couple months ago are moving into a new home today. My Hubby has taken the day off to help them move. Of course, it's going to rain all day long. Glad I'm going to work! :)

I hope you all have a beachy day!

meelsie
10-23-2009, 08:38 AM
If a product works at first then stops working, don't START using it. What those products usually do is supress the psoriasis and then the skin will build up a resistance to the cream eventually... and come back worse.

I used to use cortisone on my scalp and thats what happened and it was horrible- when it came back I didn't know what to do as it was so resistant to anything I tried.

I put about a kilo of salt in a hot bath once a week and use natural creams, most of which contain things like honey and eucalyptus to soothe and promote healing, and this, along with apple cider, has been the only thing that's been a long term solution.

Which is nice, as it's much cheaper too! Natural is usually better for skin etc I find.

Chelby, I'm so sorry to hear that about your in laws' house- today must be an emotional day for them. I hope they see it as the exciting new beginning it should be! New home new life!
I HAVE to stop this double posting but i'm so behind! People keep beating me then I want to reply!

blessedwithsarah
10-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Happy friday everyone. Wow, I thought I was jumping off early and there are sooooo many posts! I love an active board. Now I understand why you have a new page for each day. When I was on the WW board we did a weekly chat and maybe got a few pages for the full week.

Its interesting about the apple cider vinegar. I know someone was asking about cinnamon as well. There are so many wonderful health benefits form everyday things. I do strongly believe that all the processed foods is what is causing most of the weight problems outthere. Thats why the only success I've had in losing and maintaining is by cutting those things out.

And speaking of losing ----today is end of week 1 p1, I lost 3 pds!! I'm thrilled. The best part, as I was telling DH last night, I feel very much in control of what I'm eating and what I'm not eating .

Things are going well!! :)

weezle
10-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Ugh still drainy. Took a sudafed to hopefully dry me up. Just allergies but they can make me nuts!

Ruthie, I thought you'd be more excited about my celebration! ;) I certainly was!!!!!

Going in to work early today to make up a half hour from Monday when I had to go get tests done. Off at 5, home to change, and to the wedding rehearsal at 6 (this is a new development.) Gonna check out the layout of the church to see how I'm going to shoot the video, then run back home, eat, get my things together, grab a movie, and head to Chris' place.

P1D5 and still going strong. Might've over-eaten yesterday, but did so with veggies. I was hungry. Hope everyone has a good day! I'll try to pop by later!

Lisa

YAY PAULA!!!! :carrot:

Oh how Facebook has spoiled me. After seeing that you'd lost weight, I wanted to "Like" your post. Sigh.

meelsie
10-23-2009, 09:12 AM
My thoughts are quickly turning to lunch (yes that would be the no breakfast talking) - the staff cafe has rump steak, is rump allowed? I'm phase 1-ing.

cottagebythesea
10-23-2009, 09:15 AM
meelsie, rump steak is fine for Phase 1, just trim all the fat off it before you eat it. :)

meelsie
10-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Rump steak it is then, with a mixture of salads from the yummy salad bar there- greek, and there's also a great one they do with tomato, peppers and feta. And lots of lemon juice.
What's everyone else having for lunch? Or breakfast, depending where you are!

JellyBean32882
10-23-2009, 09:23 AM
If a product works at first then stops working, don't START using it. What those products usually do is supress the psoriasis and then the skin will build up a resistance to the cream eventually... and come back worse.

I used to use cortisone on my scalp and thats what happened and it was horrible- when it came back I didn't know what to do as it was so resistant to anything I tried.

I put about a kilo of salt in a hot bath once a week and use natural creams, most of which contain things like honey and eucalyptus to soothe and promote healing, and this, along with apple cider, has been the only thing that's been a long term solution.

Which is nice, as it's much cheaper too! Natural is usually better for skin etc I find.

Chelby, I'm so sorry to hear that about your in laws' house- today must be an emotional day for them. I hope they see it as the exciting new beginning it should be! New home new life!
I HAVE to stop this double posting but i'm so behind! People keep beating me then I want to reply!

Oh, right. Natural is better. I started looking up natural remedies to try those not too long ago and that's when I found out about the Apple Cider Vinegar and I wanted to try it and have and it does work. The thing is when I mention anything natural to to doc they don't seem to want people to believe that old folk or natural remedies work because then they lose out on money.. I'm not stupid, LOL.

I haven't tried the Apple Cider Vinegar diluted on the skin yet, but been meaning to. I wanted to try the ACV diluted and mixed with a little of honey to see what the effects would be.

Pearlrose
10-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Good morning everyone,

Wow thought I would pop in early didn't expect so many posts- chatty group this morning.

Sounds like everyone is doing well.

I am off to Anniversary luncheon today for work that should be fun, then tonight I am going to Chad and Jeremy concert my DH bought tickets for.

Have a great day everyone

meelsie
10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
JB- I never diluted mine? Odd.

I'd be interested to see what the effect was of adding honey to the mix- keep me posted. The vinegar strips it and the honey would be there to heal I suppose, so it could either cancel each other out, or heal the skin underneath once the flakes have been swept away... interesting, very interesting!!!

Don't even get me started on doctors and psoriasis- mine was first diagnosed as SCABIES!? The only time I mention my psoriasis to the doc is when i'm there for a dermatolagist (sp?) referral.

JellyBean32882
10-23-2009, 09:43 AM
JB- I never diluted mine? Odd.

I'd be interested to see what the effect was of adding honey to the mix- keep me posted. The vinegar strips it and the honey would be there to heal I suppose, so it could either cancel each other out, or heal the skin underneath once the flakes have been swept away... interesting, very interesting!!!

Don't even get me started on doctors and psoriasis- mine was first diagnosed as SCABIES!? The only time I mention my psoriasis to the doc is when i'm there for a dermatolagist (sp?) referral.

Well, it says to dilute it because alone it can either burn the skin, irritate it, or if you drink it it can burn your throat and create problems and take the enamel off your teeth, so after drinking even diluted ACV I wouldn't brush.

Anyway, if anyone wants to know about ACV go to http://www.bragg.com/

meelsie
10-23-2009, 10:19 AM
alone it can either burn the skin, irritate it, or if you drink it it can burn your throat and create problems and take the enamel off your teeth, so after drinking even diluted ACV I wouldn't brush.

Jeeps. Glad i'm taking the pill form now, although I could have been told to dilute and ignored it. I have a tendancy to take the "if a little of something is good alot is better" approach with life, so I may have been doing that at the time and just forgotten!

Speaking of which, it says take 2-3 pills per day. Think 5 would make my skin heal FASTER? God I am terrible! :^:

JellyBean32882
10-23-2009, 10:47 AM
meelsie, well I'm sure the more ACV the better, does the bottle say not to exceed amount or anything? If not, then I'm sure it's safe to take like 4 pills instead of 2-3.

meelsie
10-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Brilliant! I'll give it a go, the only side effect I can think of is maybe acid reflux so we'll see.

JellyBean32882
10-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Brilliant! I'll give it a go, the only side effect I can think of is maybe acid reflux so we'll see.

LOL, I started on the ACV for my acid reflux in the first place (it's a benefit believe it or not).. haven't had heartburn or anything since unless I eat McDonalds.

Lexxiss
10-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Good Morning:sunny:

I slept in again, so I've had my breakfast and am heading off to water aerobics!

Have a great day everyone, I'll check in later.

blessedwithsarah
10-23-2009, 12:16 PM
BF today was a veggie quiche (made it last night). I was getting tired of boiled eggs :)

Lunch is a salad with some chicken, roasted pepper and asiago cheese sausages. The sausages don't have any non p1 foods and low fat.

What about you??

meelsie
10-23-2009, 12:41 PM
I LOVE quiches and can't wait to make some to start taking to work on Monday. When I was little I used to bug my Mum for them instead of chocolate or lollies- probably the reason why I love SB so much, I have a real savoury tooth!
I plan to fill mine with LOTS of spinach to fill me up and keep me going... what veggies are in your veggie quiche Paula? Do you eat it at home or on the go... I think i'll pour my mix into muffin trays in case I want to eat on the run.

meelsie
10-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Just found another great link for ACV:
http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/#

cottagebythesea
10-23-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm sitting here enjoying my lunch right now, which is 1/2 a Kashi Thin Crust Roasted Veggie Pizza, with salad heaped on top. :T I have a big pan of delicata squash, brussels sprouts, grape tomatoes, onions, baby spinach, pecans and craisins drizzled with olive oil and garlic roasting in the oven, and that will be my supper tonight.

Pearlrose, I didn't know Chad and Jeremy were still around! I used to love them. (But That Was Yesterday, And Yesterday's Gone :)) They were one of my favorite groups! I want to hear all about the concert, and what songs they sang!

Jellybean and meelsie, I'd be afraid that taking too much vinegar would be caustic to your system. You'd be stripping it of all it's acids. I could be wrong, though. :?:

Chelby29
10-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Cottage, I had a friend who took apple cider vinegar every time he had an upset stomach. Once, I ran out of heartburn medicine, so I tried a tablespoon of ACV. What a crazy mixture of 'ouch' and 'yuck'! Never again! :p

JellyBean32882
10-23-2009, 02:02 PM
chelby, but did you dilute the ACV before drinking?

Lexxiss
10-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Water aerobics was great, as usual. I'm headed off to Costco but thought I'd say hi first.

Ruth, I think you should count Bingo as exercise-of patience:rofl: As to home exercise, I can't even make 10 mins on my treadmill at home-at the gym it's a different story-I love the socialization and the set in stone schedule.

Silly, I've been meaning to ask if you could bring a string cheese and some almonds for your lunch walk, then maybe you wouldn't be so hungry later. I stay off the scale as long as I'm eating OP because my weight fluxuates alot. By the time you read this spirit week should be over.

Meelsie, I eat the same thing every day for breakfast. I wasn't a BF person before, and realizing it's importance I'm better to do something I can prepare on the run. Hope you and Jelly are figuring out the apple cider.

JellyBean:wave: Good job on the weight loss.

Cottage, missed you this morning! I don't like sleeping in-could you call and wake me up next time!! Glad you have a casual day.

Cyndi, what a nice Friday with the boss gone. Brrrr...sounds cold.

Chelby, your fundraiser tomorrow sounds so fun! Wish I was closer.

Paula, :wave: I, too, believe that processed foods are a huge culprit....and they are produced to be irresistable. As healthy as I eat, if I have one Nacho Dorito, I want the whole bowl and they are so gross! Good job finishing your P1 first week. It's downhill from here on out!

Lisa, Happy Friday! Have a great evening with Chris.

Pearlrose, have fun tonight!

Sophie, glad to hear your fridge didn't have to be replaced. I have a really nice fridge that was here when I moved in. It's a Black Kitchenaid, and I cherish it. Our fridge in Alaska was sooooo small, 'cause our house was soooo small. I love ice and water!

Hi, everyone else, I'm off to Costco for some On Plan Shopping and Exercise-I know I can't count it but I sure have fun cruising all the aisles.

sophie
10-23-2009, 02:29 PM
its afternoon here already and what a busy chat day this has been.
Ruth - I have never been to a bingo. Do you have people that set themselves up with their lucky charms.
Cottage - your lunch sounds great.
Cyndi - glad the boss is away no matter how nice they are or not its still good when they are away. Meeting a friend for drinks is great.
Chelby - you will deserve to put your feet up after this fundraiser is over.
Lisa - enjoy your weekend.
Debbie - I like going to Costco too. Do you resist the samples? I use to say if its free there are no calories but not anymore. Fridge is making ice as I write.
Everyone else enjoy your Friday.
Not much going on today except making potato pancakes for DH. I won't have any. Also, planning my menus for next week as SIL is coming into town. Did I mention that I am so excited at the possibility of them moving back. You see we have no family, no aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. Its just DH and me and our three kids so I really cherish my family and I really spoil them I think.
take care
Sophie

gothik butterfly
10-23-2009, 03:00 PM
wow chatty mcchattersons today!

Got up late, didn't have time to even finish one mug of coffee... went to see my Gran in town for a dr. appt. Then had lunch with her. Must nap now. Will check in later.

Chelby29
10-23-2009, 03:42 PM
chelby, but did you dilute the ACV before drinking?

Nope. Shot it like whiskey! OUCH! YUCK! :p

Pearlrose
10-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Cottage, I will report what they sang tomorrow.

Barb0522
10-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I took the afternoon off and I'm about to head out to Camp Wisdom for the Cub Scout Parent & Pal weekend. I'm working registration (mostly tonight and then a few show up tomorrow) and also running the interfaith worship service on Sunday morning. This way I will get out there in time to set up my tent before I have to work.

Brian's being picked up by his Dad tonight and dropped off at the church for a Boy Scout campout at a different Boy Scout camp. They are actually supposed to canoe which seems too chilly to me. The low will be in the 40's this weekend but at least it isn't supposed to rain.

I'm not sure how healthy the food will be but at least I'll get lots of walking in.

JellyBean32882
10-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Nope. Shot it like whiskey! OUCH! YUCK! :p

That's why, LOL

weezle
10-23-2009, 06:04 PM
This round of tests came back fine too. Have to go in next week for more. Hazzah. At least we know..... well, we don't really know anything. At least..... yeah I got nothin. I dunno! Yep.

SillyFluff
10-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Well today wasn't as bad as it coulda been. My seniors are hysterical booing the underclassmen when our principal got on the PA system and called them "awesome freshman". I about peed my pants laughing at them. And then they were chanting in the hallways and have impromptu dance offs.Crazy Kids. Pep rally was today. That was amazing. And then the homecoming parade for which i got the joy of judging the floats. And at the very end of it was our principal in her little solstice throwing candy out.
They have this project now that they have to complete to graduate and its a really in depth project. they basically ahve to pick a topic that they can show a learning stretch on. Another advisor told me that a student said he was gonna do his on making a taco. Let me repeat that...he wants to make A TACO. Now I ask, if this student has to get a mentor and show that he/she spent 15 hours of work on this project....is that possible. needless to say, this has been an ongoing joke during advisor meetings.
Walked 2 laps around the track at lunch and just returned from walking around our block 3 times...so all together I walked 2 miles today. YAY ME!
I'm off to go figure out a schedule to go visit students and talk to them about internships and job shadowing. Have a great night peeps!!