Weight Loss Support - What do you Track?

View Full Version : What do you Track?

srmb60
10-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Online? On paper? Minutes? Miles?

What do you keep track of and how do you do it?

Onederchic
10-22-2009, 07:01 PM
I keep track of all calories in any food/drink I consume and I track all my exercise minutes. I also keep track of my measurements. I do it all on sparkpeople.com

VernDern
10-22-2009, 07:19 PM
I keep track of all calories, exercise (usually just minutes), and measurements. I use fitday.com for cals and exercise. I made a handy dandy excel sheet to track my weightloss progress and measurements.

Sunnigummi
10-22-2009, 07:55 PM
I track food intake, weight and activities on Fitday. I love the program. Even though there are a lot of discrepancies with calorie counts for foods and exercise, I feel that using the same program kinda eliminates those discrepancies just because it will be the same across the board. The one thing I don't like about Fitday is the lack of variety in foods. I have made SO MANY custom foods for stupid things like Healthy Choice Frozen meals. Come on! That's not exotic!! :dz: ;)

RealCdn
10-22-2009, 08:33 PM
I track food intake, exercise mins/cals from my HR monitor, and weight using FitDay. I track daily steps (from pedometer) and morning temps in a spreadsheet. That last one is an attempt to see when I need a refeed/break. When on maintenance I usually see 37.7C or 37.8C in the mornings, when dieting I see 36.4C to 36.7C. If/when I'm feeling run down it will be below 36C (although I haven't been doing it long enough to know for sure).

kuhrisuh
10-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I track everything I eat and drink, exercise in minutes, and my weight loss progress all on sparkpeople.com. I like it because it gives you reports on how on target you are with your goal, and it def. keeps me accountable.

HotWings
10-22-2009, 09:06 PM
I track calories, carbs, fat, protein & sodium on Sparkpeople.com. I don't purposely limit sodium, but I do pay attention to the number and can really tell whether or not to expect some water weight gain.

Katarina
10-22-2009, 09:48 PM
I use printed pamphlets "Food and Exercise Log"s that track food for breakfast, lunch, dinner, beverages and snacks. It also gives a place to write the amount of exercise you have done.

I write down what I eat, how much and when. This way when I have the urge to eat, I can look at my journal and figure out "Is it time for a snack, or am I just bored/angry/anxious/depressed" I eat 5 times per day - 3 meals, 2 snacks..with at least 2 hours between each meal.

I do track my weight during the week, but the only weight measurement that I really count is Saturday mornings when I go to the Dr's office to jump on their scale. I always wear the same outfit, so the weigh ins are accurate.

Kat

EZMONEY
10-22-2009, 09:53 PM
I weigh myself everyday and log it in a notebook....

I keep track of my miles in the exercise threads and log the totals each month in my journal....

I keep track of the cost on all the meals Angie and I have out...just for general info...not the food mind you but the cost and whether or not we brought home leftovers for lunch...and how many drinks we...er I had....

I tried to keep track of Angie...but she is just too sneaky...way too sneaky...

Civakas
10-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I track the following on my Ipod touch:
calories (Lose It! app)
exercise (Lose It! and ifitness apps)
water intake (Eight Glasses a Day app)

algebraashley
10-22-2009, 10:24 PM
i track my calories, exercise and weight all on Lose It! the app for my iphone

duckyyellowfeet
10-23-2009, 01:31 AM
I feel like I'm a slacker trackers.
I write down points in a notebook, sometimes on my hand if I'm out
I use the ticker below to record weekly weight-ins
And I keep a running total of minutes in the gym in my head.
I thought about my measurements, but I was too scared to start them

KDuffer
10-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Things I track include:

1. Calories eaten (by day, week, and averages)--LoseIt
2. Weight, fat % (using calipers), LBM, chest, waist, hips, thighs--Excel
3. Macro nutrient (fats, carbs, protein)--LoseIt
4. Exercise (type and time for cardio/weight and exercise for weight lifting)-LoseIt for cardio and notebook for weights that I take to the gym

I have a bit of a obsessive compulsive personality so this seems to work for me. Also, it helps me see exactly what's going on. If I gain/lose weight I can see how much is muscle or fat. Also, helps me decide what levers to push (i.e., eat less/more calories, eat more protein, eat less carbs, etc.).

Interesting thing is by this trial and error method I've come to the conclusion that although calories are important, eating a lot of carbs relative to protein makes it harder for me to keep my calories down and lose weight (I try to eat about 35% protein and 35% carbs). Then I happened to read a book recently on insulin resistance and it seems that there is some science behind why that is happening to me.

mayness
10-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Calories - just switched to sparkpeople for this
Macros - I don't pay attention to anything else, even though the web site records sodium, vitamins, etc

Type of exercise and approx minutes - also on SP.. not so much because I care about the calories burned.. but because I'm there anyway

Weight - every morning, on physicsdiet.com

MBN
10-23-2009, 07:50 AM
I track my food intake, calories and daily morning weight in a little spiral-bound paper notebook.

I track my exercise sessions in a work database, it's tied to a health care incentive program (we get points for various activities, and enough points translates to a few $$ deposited into our health savings account - sweet!)

This year, I've been tracking my running, hiking and kayaking miles on an excel spreadsheet. I started that because of the "run 1000 miles in 2009" thread. I've almost reached 1000 running miles - not counting the 200 hiking and paddling miles!

srmb60
10-23-2009, 08:21 AM
I'm going to refer back to KDuffer and all that we can learn by tracking. Very good point! But I'm sure that all of you who do track have already learned this. There's important information in there!

I use fitday to track calories eaten, measurements and minutes of exercise divided into the three types I use most often. I pay no attention to calories (it says) expended in exercise (I wish!)
I use this ticker to track exercise minute goals each month.

Soon, when I get closer to goal, I'll be using my records to start tweaking my carbs, fats and protein for the body composition I'm after. That's not to say that I haven't been watching. My macronutrients are all askew! But I needed to get losing again first. Tweaking as I go, so to speak ;)

KDuffer
10-23-2009, 08:33 AM
I didn't pay that much attention to macro nutrients while I was losing either. Especially in the beginning, as long as I kept the calories down I was losing weight. Then more weight I lost and less my maintenance calories became, it was harder and harder to lose the last couple of pounds because there seemed to be a lot less room for error. That's when I started to pay a lot more attention to things like macro-nutrients, lean body mass, etc.

srmb60
10-23-2009, 08:40 AM
KDuffer ... I absolutely agree. The details can develope later. It breaks my heart to hear new folks struggling with numbers ... some becoming discouraged enough to eat something ;) ... when it doesn't matter at first.

Eat less, move more, track, track, track and tweak as you go!

And that's my soapbox of the day :o

Lori Bell
10-23-2009, 11:07 AM
In a little datebook my insurance man gives me each year I track my daily food/calories, my weekly weight, and my monthly waist measurement and TOM. That is all. Takes a few minutes a day. Maybe I'm not tracking enough stuff?

FitGirlyGirl
10-23-2009, 01:58 PM
I am soooo OCD. I track calories in, calories out, my daily calories deficit, carbs, fiber, fat, saturated fat, protein, cholesterol, sodium, calcium, exercise minutes and how many calories each exercise burns, weight, fat %, measurements (neck, chest, waist, hips, thigh, calf, upper arm, and lower arm), bmi, waist/hip ratio, and what pants size I am at various weights. I am diabetic, so I am also tracking my blood glucose numbers, of course. I'm a chick and I have pcos so I obsessively track my periods. As I have gotten used to tracking things I am considering adding other things. Next on my list is how many hours I sleep each night - planning on adding that one next week.

Most of that is very easy to track since my body bugg program covers most of it. I also keep a 3 ring binder of everything printed out in case they ever have a server crash or something. I put the few things the bugg won't track (like my pants size and blood glucose numbers) in the binder too.