Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #1  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Question Question for weight lifters

I have two 3 lb weights and thats all I can afford at the moment. Could I start out using these to tone my arms and help speed up weight loss?

If so, what should I start out doing, and how many reps per day per position? Would 3 lbs even do any good?
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #2  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

anything is better then nothing. Go on youtube to find exercises... I find that if I tell you the name of the exercise that won't explain how to do it.. youtube will be the best bet. Search for how to curls.. and that would be a good start.
I would suggest you start with 12 reps and 2 sets. The weight is pretty low - I would do some lateral lifts (normally you do that exercise with very low weight compared to other exercises)

Take your 3 lbs with you on a walk too! Do some lunges with the 3 lbs in your hands. Do wall sits with the weights straight out.

Good Luck..

I love lifting... it will do wonders for your body and you will also burn more calories. Save up $$ for more weights.. you will need them!!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I use 2~ 2 pounders, and yep they help. A low weight is great for someone who doesn't want to build but simply wants to tone.

The exercises I do with them are all part of my WATP videos, but there are lots of things you can do with them to tone without a video.. I'm sure google would yeild a ton of ideas.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

http://www.amazon.com/SPRI-ES501R-Re.../dp/B0000AJ050

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...les.asp?id=720

Mug, if you're limited on funds (or even if you're not) I would HIGHLY recommend investing in a resistance band (they're very inexpensive) and working out with it. It is amazing. You don't need to keep on purchasing anything. Please give it a try.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #5  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

When you say "all you can afford," do you mean all you can handle to lift, or all you can afford to buy?

If the latter, you can find heavier objects to work out with even if you don't have access to heavier dumbbells. Fill an empty gallon jug with water and you have yourself a 4lb weight. Buy a 5-lb bag of sugar. Hoist a 20 lb. sack of cat litter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingfawn View Post
I use 2~ 2 pounders, and yep they help. A low weight is great for someone who doesn't want to build but simply wants to tone.
2lb weights might do some small amount of good if you carry them during aerobic exercise, but that's not weight training, and if you are capable of lifting more you should. You aren't going to bulk up if you are on a reduced calorie diet, especially from lifting just 5 or 10 or 20 lbs. Don't be afraid to lift heavy.

The good news for the OP is that you don't need to buy dumbbells to find 5 or 10 or 20lb objects to lift. Just look around your house and be creative.

Last edited by carter; 10-21-2009 at 11:40 AM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #6  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
2lb weights might do some small amount of good if you carry them during aerobic exercise, but that's not weight training, and if you are capable of lifting more you should. You aren't going to bulk up if you are on a reduced calorie diet, especially from lifting just 5 or 10 or 20 lbs. Don't be afraid to lift heavy.
I must agree here.. You can do a lot with 3 lbs weights... however don't be afraid to lift more. I'm toning with much higher weights.. I will not be a body builder! Depending on the exercise I lift dumbbells anywhere from 8 lbs to 22.5 lbs. When you are almost done a set you should be at the point when you can barely lift - where it takes twice as long to lift. That is normal. Start off slow.. but don't be afraid to add weight. This is what has worked for me.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would also agree about looking at resistance bands as well.

You can also do body weight exercises. Pushups (modified by doing on a counter, stairs, chair, etc), Tricep dips (try on a sturdy chair, stairs, etc, move your leg position to make harder or easier), Squats, lunges, Deadlifts. If you also have a sturdy bar which you could hang from, you could also do modified pullups.

Here is also a page on what to do if you don't have weights and other things you could use:
http://www.stumptuous.com/no-weights-no-problem
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #8  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Lots of great suggestions....thanks everybody!!!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #9  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

There's virtually no chance you (and I mean everyone you, not just Mug) are going to bulk up from any kind of weight training...unless you 1) set out to do so specifically and 2) lift very, very heavy weight.

I'm trying to do it and it's not that easy, even though I am genetically predisposed to build muscle. If I'm really in a building phase I lift 35-40 lb free weights @ 2-3 reps each, 1-2 times a week. Weight in this range is not something you're going to casually pick up.

Please, please, I hope no one on this board avoids weightlifting because you're scared to bulk up. You won't! I promise! <5 lb weights certainly do something, but if your goal is to look and feel better, and for your clothes to fit better, heavier is better once you work up to it. Don't be afraid of 10 or 15 lb weights...you will NOT look like the Governator from using them. I swear it on a stack of hounddogs.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote