General chatter - No, you don't want to "lose" weight...

Aussie Nikki
10-21-2009, 08:34 AM
.... you want to GET RID OF IT!

I mentioned to a lady in a shop the other day that I was "losing" weight and wanted to "lose" some more. She had a great insight. She told me that I shouldn't think of it as "losing" weight, because deep down in your mind if you tell yourself you have "lost" something, you will want to find it again! Amazing way to think!

So she says I should think that I am "getting rid of weight" and in my subconscious it will register as a permanent change. I just thought this was a brilliant revelation. The mind is a powerful thing, so just by shifting that one thought could make a big difference.

What do you guys think? A load of baloney or a genuine piece of wisdom?

undermilkweed
10-21-2009, 09:21 AM
I think it is wise because the words we select are significant and affect our perception. I am thinking of it as "shedding pounds".

yoyoma
10-21-2009, 09:24 AM
I like it! I'm getting rid of unwanted junk!

Stylist83
10-21-2009, 09:26 AM
*LOL* I do like that. Im going to start thinking of it like that.. Very Positive

bargoo
10-21-2009, 09:28 AM
I like it . Getting rid of the junk in the trunk !

AR4life
10-21-2009, 11:07 PM
Very good, getting rid of weight, never to return!!!!

dedicateddog
10-21-2009, 11:27 PM
I like it too :hat: I am now officially getting rid of weight. Thanks :cp:

DanaLou
10-21-2009, 11:45 PM
That is so awesome!

VernDern
10-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Why cant I come up with witty stuff like that?! lol Thats great!

Good riddance fat!

Hamoco350
10-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Awesome perspective.. I'll really take this to heart, to be honest. I'm serious like that. :lol:

Thanks for sharing that, it really lifted my spirits after a long day.

CardboardCutoutCat
10-22-2009, 01:20 AM
Wow, what a lovely positive thought :) Thanks!

It shall be my new mantra!!!!!

Sarah

TIARA
10-22-2009, 04:47 AM
its so true... im gonna think of it as getting rid of old .. kinda like cleaning out my closet for new clothes lol yes this is the shopaholic in me thinking lol

kuhrisuh
10-22-2009, 07:04 PM
I like it! Never finding that weight again!

Aussie Nikki
10-22-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm so glad you guys liked this thought! It really resonated with me. Every time I've tried to "lose" weight before now I've ended up finding it again!

But now I'm getting rid of it FOR GOOD. We all are!

bubblinb728
10-24-2009, 09:33 PM
WOW....LOVE THAT!!!! Thanks for sharing Aussie_Nikki. Also, I love your quote in your signature about choosing your "hard". I always say life is about turns and choices, when it's your turn choose wisely!!!

Take care!

B

bubblinb728
10-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Where do I get the cool weight loss trackers?

beatific
10-25-2009, 09:56 PM
I love this! Another thing I heard a while ago that has helped me to change my mindset was something simple: Instead of thinking 'i don't want to be fat' think 'I am becoming thin' instead. The words we use when thinking about weight loss are very powerful.

Where do I get the cool weight loss trackers?

You can't add a tracker until you've been here a few weeks, and you have a certain post count. . . I don't have one yet either.

Aussie Nikki
10-30-2009, 01:05 AM
Hey Bubblinb,

Yep that is a great quote - I can't take credit I did pinch it off someone else on here. I wish I could remember who it was so I could thank them too. It is a good thought for me because I always thought "getting rid" of weight would be just too hard. But that quote made me realise that being fat is damn hard too! I've realised it is actually easier than I thought now I've put my mind to it.

To get your ticker, you have to be a member for a month and have made at least 20 posts. I couldn't wait to get mine either! When you've qualified, you'll see it in your 'User CP', down the left hand side. It's part of your signature. There is a sticky in the main forum bit explaining how to make your ticker, then you paste the code into your signature, add a quote and whatever you like. Then everytime you make a post it will appear at the bottom.

Good luck and have fun choosing your ticker. It's great!