The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing - Jillian's New Show Losing It With Jillian!

Echo
10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
I subscribe to Jillians Michaels website so i get daily emails in my inbox, and just found out that today they announced Jillian's new show! i'm really excited about it. sounds great!! I love Jillian's no nonsense straight up straight forward advice! I love listening to her podcasts, I have learnt so much!

NBC PARTNERS WITH HEALTH AND WELLNESS EXPERT JILLIAN MICHAELS TO RID FAMILIES OF THEIR EXCUSES AND EMPOWER THEM TO TRANSFORM THEIR LIVES IN A NEW LIFE-CHANGING SERIES 'LOSING IT WITH JILLIAN' 

From Reveille, the Producers of "The Biggest Loser," Executive Producers Michaels and Giancarlo Chersich (Empowered Media) and Executive Producer Ellen Rakieten ("Oprah," NBC's "The Marriage Ref"), Series to Also Feature Celebrity Chef Curtis Stone    (i like him! he's a hotty hehe)   

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. - October 20, 2009 - NBC has partnered with popular health and wellness expert Jillian Michaels ("The Biggest Loser") and Giancarlo Chersich (Empowered Media) along with "The Biggest Loser" producers Mark Koops and Howard T. Owens of Reveille and former "Oprah" executive producer Ellen Rakieten for a riveting new life-changing alternative series "Losing It With Jillian." 

In the series, Michaels invades a different family every week to give them her own characteristic brand of tough love. She will get to the bottom of the issues each family member faces — ones that affect their health and happiness — and will arm them with the tools necessary to make life-altering changes. 

The series will also feature celebrity chef Curtis Stone who will enhance Michaels' efforts by ridding the family's kitchen of all unhealthy foods and educating them on proper nutrition, healthy ingredients, cooking tips and recipes. 

The announcement was made today by Paul Telegdy, Executive Vice President, Alternative Programming, NBC and Universal Media Studios.  

"Jillian is the world's leading lifestyle expert with a signature style all her own," said Telegdy. "Increasing numbers of families seem to need a motivational boost, and we know that Jillian is an awesome force of nature who will help them transform their lives from the inside out." 

Michaels added, "When your health is out of balance everything else suffers — finances, relationships, work and family dynamics. I'm moving in with families across the country, getting down and dirty and rooting out bad habits in every corner of their lives that are preventing them from health and happiness. Get ready America because I'm heading out and you never know, I might just end up on your doorstep so watch out!" 

"It's time for Americans to stop making excuses for being unhealthy and take back their lives. Jillian is going to show them exactly how to do just that starting in their own homes," said executive producer Mark Koops "This is a natural addition to the Reveille brand of powerful, inspirational series."  

"I love the idea of Jillian crisscrossing America to actually move in with families in desperate need of her tough love wake up call. It's the knock on your door that could save your life," said executive producer Ellen Rakieten. 

The eight-episode series for 2010 will feature Michaels, the renowned fitness trainer and wellness expert, as she helps unhealthy families to move off their collective couches and put their lives back on more rewarding tracks while Chef Stone helps with proper nutrition.  

Michaels' dramatic confrontations will produce inspirational results and ultimately, through her tough love approach, she'll help these families realize that they can finally take control of their lives and make a change for good.  

http://www.jillianmichaels.com/meet-jillian/tv/jillians-new-show.aspx

mandalinn82
10-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Interesting. This is probably why she dropped the KFI show.

The cynic in me wonders if she'll be putting them all on her new "fat burner" supplements, which I still can't get past...I lost a lot of respect for her when she made that move. She's clearly working on building her brand, which is good for her, I suppose.

I hope she moves her show beyond money making and marketing and into something truly helpful.

Onederchic
10-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah I follow her on FB and she made a post about the show yesterday.

EveLHaelf
10-20-2009, 05:05 PM
Interesting! I will definitely be watching an episode or two when it comes out! I really hope she doesn't try to push her darn 'diet pills' on her show though.....:dizzy:

Onederchic
10-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Here's the link she posted on FB when she posted about her new show

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/10/jillian-michaels-losing-it-nbc.html

Trazey34
11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
yah i hope the thing won't be a big commercial for her products, or for ziploc steamer bags or trident gum LOL enough with the selling!! More importantly, I hope she's just a hard-a$$ and gets them off the couch and eating better, and leaves the deep emotional counselling out of it -- i find that embarassing and hard to watch she's such a phony at it!

Violin Jenn
11-14-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi Echo,

How can I get her podcasts? I know she had a radio show, but I don't know if that is the same thing?

Jenn

Echo
11-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Hi Jenn.

you can download the podcasts as follows:

follow these instructions:
also use internet explorer. for some reason fox doesnt let me save the mp3s!

Originally Posted by WantRockinArms View Post
Mediafly has all the shows going back to 2006.

How to do it:
Do a Google search for Mediafly, click on link to Mediafly webpage and type Jillian Michaels in the search field. In the search result, click on KFI Sunday icon, this will take you to all the Sunday shows on KFI. About 1/4 of the page down, there will be a light purple bar that indicates the dates of the shows.

Click on the double arrow on the left that will take you as far back as 2006. Scroll to the Jillian shows and click download to download the MP3. Continue to click on the boxes to take you thru the timelines. .
To Sync to iTunes go to http://www.mediafly.com/digitallifestyle

If you are using a Mac click on the green RSS option

If you are using a PC I suggest the SyncClient application (but you could also use the RSS option)

IgetfitNStrongforme
11-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Interesting. This is probably why she dropped the KFI show.

The cynic in me wonders if she'll be putting them all on her new "fat burner" supplements, which I still can't get past...I lost a lot of respect for her when she made that move. She's clearly working on building her brand, which is good for her, I suppose.

I hope she moves her show beyond money making and marketing and into something truly helpful.

Yeah, I am a cynic about her new show and was wondering was it just a big commerical for her supplement line. I thought her show on KFI rocked and she really was helped people but with all this supplement crap now, I am wary of anything she is selling. She was suppose to be against ziploc and trident but still did those ads. You can't say you're against something and still hawk the products, it doesn't mesh. She is a great trainer and I love her on TBL but I feel she has lost her way. I won't be watching her new show.

vixjean
11-14-2009, 11:56 PM
OH i can't wait for her new show... I haven't looked into her supplements yet but I will ignore that. Even if you were into supplements, I am sure you could get them half price without her name on it.

Violin Jenn
11-15-2009, 07:17 PM
I am excited about her new show. A lot of families will benefit from it. But I was disappointed in the supplements she's hawking. I get it that she's building a brand and company and that needs to branch out and grow, but she needs to remember WHY everyday folks (like us) who need and want to lose weight started to follow her. I had never heard of her before BL. The public can close their purse strings and send her back to anonimity if she doesn't remember that.

She started as a no non-sense, just get moving and eat fresh whole natural foods. She's sometimes even asked people to look deep and find out why they eat the bad food when they do and how they gained the weight. What went on that got them to be overwieght and unhealthy.

Right now I have 3 of her dvd's 2 BL dvd's and 2 of her books. The dvd's are perfect for me and what I want from a workout, but will I buy a dvd of her's just because it's hers? NO. The 2 books, well they contain info that I need to finish tweeking my habit's and lifestyle. I know that she's coming out with a cookbook, will I buy it? Most likely not. She's an excellent trainer, as long as her workouts stay true to that and fit me and my needs, I'll buy what works for me.

Maybe I'm being too hard on her. But oh well there it is.

Michelle125
11-18-2009, 02:54 PM
I love her supplements- I recently got the Fat Burner one. A lot of other supplement have junk in them but hers have only natural products. And there's nothing wrong with caffeine aiding in weight loss. I've actually dropped my coffee habit (and thus the pesticides!) and use her supplements instead as my morning boost. I will absolutely trust what she puts out. I was thankful to see her face on something in the store because I know I can trust it.

Also, more power to her. Nothing wrong with marketing oneself!

mandalinn82
11-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Michelle - just be careful with the fat burners. The term "all natural", first of all, is unregulated and therefore can be put on anything, regardless of the ingredients. And in the case of this supplement, one of the "all natural ingredients" is something that most consumer and phyician groups recommend people not take...bitter orange. It's one of the "Dirty Dozen supplement ingredients (see article here (http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:-JvFubB4c9QJ:www.consumersunion.org/pdf/dirtydozen1.pdf+bitter+orange+dirty+dozen&hl=en&gl=us&sig=AFQjCNEzptHpGQnlsWfyZ4eZDXab0w6eOA)) and has been linked with adverse health effects. You can also read about it here (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bitter-orange/AN01218), from the Mayo clinic site...and as much as I trusted Jillian before she came out with this supplement, I trust a respected medical establishment much more.

Not to mention, her supplement combines bitter orange with caffeine, which increases the risk of cardiac side effects (see NYT article here (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/11/health/policy/11cons.html))

So please be cautious and wary of any cardiac symptoms!

RockyMtnGirl
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Jillian kind of irks me every episode... I know she's all about "tough love" but does she have any psych background? It concerns me on how many buttons she pushes on the show... shouldn't they have a regular psychologist on the BL?

medinazarley
12-11-2009, 09:17 PM
I think they should have a psych on staff at TbL too!!! i think that its inappropriate to make people sob during a work out when they are nearly crying form working out for 6 hours! And jillian seems to jus tpull up the s**tiest thing in their life and tell them to start working out again. excersize is not a substitute for counselling for traumatic experience.

That being said all the other stuff she does motivates me, andi'll check out her show. i also use her workout videos on demand for free (i <3 my cable).

I will say though that when i first saw her supplements i wanted to scream, because not too long before that they were talking abouit not using supplements on TBL and how that style of weight loss is not suggested.

Amarantha2
12-13-2009, 09:11 PM
I used to enjoy Jillian until the supplements, and the fake counseling, etc. ... echoing what was said up thread about the effects of bitter orange and caffeine, dangerous.

mulder1921
12-15-2009, 09:09 PM
The reason that the biggest loser works is because Jillian and Bob balance each other. Jillian by herself will probably be too much.

Catsgetnhealthy
12-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Glad to see I wasn't the only one disappointed when Jillian came out with the supplements. I thought hers and Bob's message was eating healthier and working out to lose weight. I do wonder if her whey protien drink mix taste better than TBL one.

therika
12-16-2009, 08:11 PM
At first I was uneasy about the supplements, but she has been promoting a supplement since the beginning and think about it, she has always commercialized herself, it was a logical step. I back her 100% on that.
Also, just because she digs into peoples psyches doesn't mean she has to have a degree, any good friend would do the same thing. She is WAY more than a fitness trainer, she is a life coach.
I love seeing Jillian progress as a trainer/coach every season she gets better with more experience. She reaches people on a new level. I love that she steps out of her comfort zone and takes chances with her career, I really admire her for that.
Team Jillian all the way! haha

Catsgetnhealthy
12-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Isn't Jillilan's mom a therapist?? I got Jillian's book Master your Metabolism today at my library's bookstore for a $1. So I guess I'll decide on the supplement thing after I read it. :) Also got the two new workouts today in the mail, jumpstart and last chance workout. Going to watch them tomorrow before I do them.

livingoodinthe707
01-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Does anyone know what network this show will be on???

Mercy03
01-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Does anyone know what network this show will be on???

I would think NBC, as I don't think they would let her work for another network.

livingoodinthe707
01-02-2010, 07:49 PM
I wonder if she could do that show and still be a trainer on TBL at the same time...idk...I guess we'll see how it works out. This is an exciting prospect! I wonder how they would cast for that show?

orangebelpeper
02-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I am so excited for the show!!!!!!!!:carrot:

Steelslady
02-15-2010, 11:21 AM
I am so excited for the show!!!!!!!!:carrot:

Does anyone know when the new show is going to start? I wish BL was on daily. It's such an inspirational show seeing them all work hard and losing weight every week.

alyssarof2012
05-03-2010, 06:05 PM
It's been a while since this thread was first started and the only thing I've seen with that title was either a workout DVD or a website...

What network does it air on?

Mercy03
05-04-2010, 03:54 AM
It's been a while since this thread was first started and the only thing I've seen with that title was either a workout DVD or a website...

What network does it air on?

It will be on NBC, starting after the finale of Biggest Loser.

LastTrain2Para
05-04-2010, 04:12 AM
Hi Jenn.

you can download the podcasts as follows:

follow these instructions:
also use internet explorer. for some reason fox doesnt let me save the mp3s!

If you are using a Mac click on the green RSS option

If you are using a PC I suggest the SyncClient application (but you could also use the RSS option)
Mad Kudos to you ECHO; so glad you posted this:hug:

LastTrain2Para
05-04-2010, 04:16 AM
Also big lol to all you guys, i'm too cheap to buy supplements but I do chug alil coffee (YUCK!) and a baby aspirin before really hard cycle classes or when i'm feeling extra lazy. She did that on the show when all supplements including Emergen-C were taking off the show.

Can't for that show!

alyssarof2012
05-23-2010, 08:35 PM
It will be on NBC, starting after the finale of Biggest Loser.

Ooh okay, thanks! I can't wait to see it.

m3rma1d
05-26-2010, 11:54 AM
It premiers on the eve of my birthday, June 1st.
What a crappy pre-Bday present :p

BethC
06-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Well, tonights the night! She got a good break since they put it on at the TBL timing, I guess they're hoping that those fans will follow.

I'll definately watch tonight and see how it goes.

trekkiegirl
06-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Jillian's been online tweeting and facebooking tonight asking everyone what they thought of the show.

I like it. I wish it were maybe 30 minutes longer, though. A lot to pack in a short amount of time.

maryshady
06-02-2010, 07:27 AM
I thought it was just ok. Don't know if I will watch it again

MindiV
06-02-2010, 08:19 AM
I liked it. Of course, the "surprise" call from Jillian and some things were obviously staged - but how could they NOT be. That part was a little heavy on the cheesiness.

But overall, I thought it was interesting. I like how it's real people in everyday life, not people removed from life, taken to a state-of-the-art workout facility for months and coached to lose weight. Her time is limited and the people will either get it or not get it.

I also enjoyed how they gave an update at the end. I figured we'd have to wait 'til a "recap/reunion" show at the end to see how the families are doing or had done.

playfullyme
06-02-2010, 03:38 PM
I liked Losing It. I will definitely watch/DVR it.

eclipse
06-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, I'm not a fan of screaming "But you're going to DIIIIIIEEEEE!" type stuff at fat people, but I was sort of expecting that from Jillian. I also thought it was weird to do the follow up at the wedding - it was like all eyes were on Jillian, the mom, the dad, and the brother rather than on the bride and groom. Just weird.

Otherwise, I think it was interesting. I will probably keep watching.

WSN
06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
I just watched the show on Hulu and thought it was pretty good. I just recently started watching Biggest Loser (just this past season) and liked it a lot so looked forward to this new Jillian Michaels show. I'm typically very critical of reality-TV shows, in fact I haven't watched any for several years until swallowing my pride and watching TBL these past few months after some friends recommended it. I know a lot of people are critical of Jillian's methods but I think they are pretty sound. I think a big reason most of are obese is because we have trouble getting out of our comfort zones. We may go to the gym and feel like we are pushing ourselves hard, but Jillian clearly pushes people much further. The results on TBL speak for themselves, granted there are a lot of resources those contestants have that they wouldn't in the real world but the fact that extremely obese people who can barely jog for 30 seconds end up jogging twice as fast for several miles in just a few short weeks is remarkable. I think it is also important how she gets people to communicate their emotions and dig in deep into what's bothering them, she may not be a trained therapist but a lot of contestants on TBL have remarked on how much that has helped them and it seems people on this new show feel the same.

MindiV - while it wouldn't be surprising if those "surprise" calls are staged I'm not so sure they are. I've seen interviews of contestants on TBL about when they received similar calls for that show that were videotaped and they said they were simply told by the camera crew that they were filming for follow up interviews and things like that. So it may really be that those calls are surprises.

eclipse - I agree it was odd that Jillian was such a central figure at their wedding. In fact I thought that whole part was kind of lame, I could understand if she was one of several people they hugged while going down the aisle, but to be the only one was odd. Way too set up for TV. Though it was cool that the show was picking up the tab for the wedding and she gave them that honeymoon vacation package.

gardend1va
06-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I think her confrontational, button-pushing, in your face "therapy" would not work for everyone, especially if somebody suffered from a more complicated and subtle set of issues. But on this first show, the family was not really very dysfunctional. They all loved each other but had some communication blockages. Once those barriers were taken out, they all pulled together and were rock-solid supports for each other. I was not surprised at all to see how successful they were at the end. They just needed some nutrition guidance and help in communicating with each other. Once that was done, they zoomed ahead with the process. It was a good episode to start this series. I am sure the upcoming episodes will not all be this simple to solve.

Catsgetnhealthy
06-02-2010, 09:52 PM
I liked it. Will have to watch a few episodes to see if I really like it, like I do TBL.

LastTrain2Para
06-03-2010, 01:54 AM
I loved it as well. It had alot of important lessons in it and a nice emphasis of the physiology of weight loss; such as the negative effects of not communicating or what happens when you do the physical work but not the mental work (daughter).
It really made me step back and really appropriate all of the information that I have now and the mentality that I have now so when I get to my "goal size" I will be able to enjoy it and not nit pick at "flaws"

ennay
06-03-2010, 11:03 AM
I liked it. I identify a bit with Michelle.

I really liked her fiance too, they didnt focus on him, but I thought it was cool he was at the gym being supportive.

Yeah the wedding was weird. I think they knew ahead of time that the tab would be covered because why else would you let the wedding turn into a weight loss reveal for the family.

NinaV
06-04-2010, 09:03 AM
I realize I might get death by stoning for speaking out against Jillian, but I thought the whole show was the most ridiculous thing I have seen on TV in years. Now, granted, I don't watch a lot of reality TV, so I'm sure there are more ridiculous things out there, but this was definitely the worst I have seen.
First of all - it promotes these insane ideas that all that is needed for one to lose weight is for someone to yell at them and give them a proverbial good kick in the butt and that you can fix all emotional issues with a good workout.
Second - it didn't just seem a little staged, it was so staged it made me nauseous.
Third - just like they exploit the contestants on "The Biggest Loser" for the sake of entertainment, they exploited this family dredging out every little bit of their private lives for all the world to see. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they were well compensated, but it doesn't make it right.
Fourth - Jillian didn't tell them anything they didn't already know. It's like: "Deep frying every bit of food you put in to your mouth is bad!" - Duh! Working out is good - Double Duh!
Fifth - The whole concept is built on short term results - "Lose weight by your daughter's wedding!" Ok, then what? The mother had admitted that she had lost and regained the same 100 pounds 7 times. What makes you think she'd not going to do the same thing the second the wedding is over? If they had followed up with the family a year or two later and they were still on the right track, them I would be impressed. Anyone can lose weight temporary. Keeping it off is the big problem. Keeping bad foods out of the house will not work forever. They didn't learn long term skills. Not that I have noticed. Abstinence is a lot easier then temperance.
Anyway, just wanted to throw in my 5 cents in to the discussion, seen how everyone seems to love the show. I thought the opposing side should have a voice even if I'm the only one speaking.

souvenirdarling
06-04-2010, 10:33 AM
I don't know, Nina. Sure those people knew what they were doing is wrong. They just continued doing it because it was easy. The man had gastric bypass and because he didn't change his habits, it didn't work. I think he and his amily deserved it :D AND I hope that they can stay healthy and live a long time.

I liked it, it was okay, I'll watch it on the internet again.

I don't think 'fat psychology' is that complicated - 3/4 of us likely weigh what we do because of a period of eating away our stress and problems.

I like that Jillian shakes up peoples lives and gets them out o their comort zone. Being too "comfortable" is unhealthy, especially when that comfort enables us to be unhealthy.

Health has to do with their confidence too. Dealing with Jillian's screamer attitude lets you realise that, yes, you can survive under pressure. You are strong!!!

Re: Fat Burner Pills, I wonder how much of Jillian is "owned" by the industry. Like an author who loses control o their book when it's turned into a movie, I'm willing to consider that Jillian's 'contract' may have her doing things she doesn't necessarily agree with.

trekkiegirl
06-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Nina, I can see the points of what you're saying but I think, as far as exploitation goes, these families applied to be on the show. I imagine they are all pretty familiar with TBL, plus they know it entails Jillian and camera crew living with them for a week. With those circumstances, people would have to be pretty naive to not know all their baggage is going to be on display, both physically and emotionally.

I've always had a similar reaction to people like Dr. Phil. I mean, people listen and flock to him like he's got a messianic message when he's not really saying anything they don't already know or can't figure out for themselves. Yet some people apparently feel they need either tough love or a kick in the pants or whatever and are willing to go in front of a national/international audience to get it. Reality and talk shows wouldn't exist or be so popular if people weren't willing to put themselves on display.

souvenirdarling
06-04-2010, 10:42 AM
LOL - not to mention a PAID ITALIAN WEDDING AND HONEYMOON. We're talking like 15 000 $$$ if they really covered the WHOLE thing!

(I still wouldn't want the whole world to know my buisness...)

ennay
06-04-2010, 11:07 AM
LOL - not to mention a PAID ITALIAN WEDDING AND HONEYMOON. We're talking like 15 000 $$$ if they really covered the WHOLE thing!

(I still wouldn't want the whole world to know my buisness...)

More like 30000

I did not like that the timeline was 6 weeks. 30 lbs in 6 weeks for mom, 50 for dad. I dont like that the show is continuing to promote the uber rapid weightloss of TBL. On the other hand I know for me I was stuck in an emotional rut and only RADICAL change shook me out of it.

wannabesomebody
06-04-2010, 12:02 PM
I felt uncomfortable watching them force grown adults to blubbering tears. I wouldn't want to talk about my dead child either. Seemed cruel. It seems another way for people to make someone else do the work for them and then when they're gone they might give up. They certainly know how to diet. They all lost a lot of weight but return to old habits. Diets are for life.. not just 6 months. I dunno. I watched it obviously but felt weird with the screaming and yelling and concerned someone might have a heart attack (especially when yo yo dieting). I certainly felt it was disrespectful to air the baby's death on tv and then blame it for the weight gain?

sha25
06-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I certainly felt it was disrespectful to air the baby's death on tv and then blame it for the weight gain?

Wannanesomebody- I agree that it was disrespectful to air that type of emotional painful event on tv, but I speak from experience when I say the loss of a child is definately a factor in weight gain. I lost my son at one month old and the depression greatly impacted my weight gain. There are many other factors since but honestly that triggered it. I felt for that mother greatly, I hate that nobody acknowledge's my son except my husband & I. I couldn't imagine how bad it would be if we didn't support each other. I thought that was a huge problem in that family. However that being said I would never go through that on tv for the world to see. Many people have done much worse for their 5 minutes of fame though...

I love Jillian, but I was really "put off" by the start of the show... Right to the gym getting screamed at!! I was worried the father was going to have a heart attack!!

I liked the show for the most part and would watch it again!

Hun.e.B
06-04-2010, 07:56 PM
I agree the loss of a child and not dealing with that loss is ABSOLUTELY a reason someone would gain weight. For me it took events FAR LESS traumatic and life changing to eat my feelings and hide behind my weight.

I liked the show, I'll watch again. But, I too felt like the beginning of the show they just wanted Jillian to yell. She didnt even need to yell when she started yelling.

trekkiegirl
06-04-2010, 10:35 PM
I guess I'm in the minority but I didn't see the mom talking about the baby's death as being disrespectful. She was his mom, she wanted to talk about him. She brought him up, she brought out the album, she allowed the cameras to show his photo. It came across to me that she felt she had had to keep quiet about him for so long so as not to rock the boat that now she wanted everyone to know this was her son, he had existed. The thing that made me uncomfortable was I felt that she kind of ambushed her husband and made him deal with it in front of the cameras. But, apparently, just like with her health, she seemed to need some kind of outside intervention, aka Jillian, to empower her to do it.

Hun.e.B
06-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Well I'll be in the minority with ya cuz I was crying right along with her. And I really hope it helped her heal. Did they ever show them getting the baby a headstone or did I miss it? Perhaps they kept it private.

NinaV
06-05-2010, 05:20 AM
Talking about the dead child is not a bad thing, doing it on national television does seem ... well, maybe not disrespectful, just wrong.
And Ellie, I was LOL-ing at your mention of Dr. Phil, because he's my other "least favorite person on TV" right up there with Jillian.

Hun.e.B
06-05-2010, 10:02 AM
I dont get why its wrong? I think this country needs to stop being so afraid to talk about the difficult topics. We have a whole country of people who would rather eat their feelings than talk about it. We hear about dead children on the news all the time. Why shouldnt this family talk about the child? is it better to pretend he never existed.? Because thats what they WERE doing and clearly that wasnt working.

It just seems to me that it was very brave of this family to choose to share their story and all the painful parts. I'm sure there are families out there who are going through the same thing, and seeing this family share and seeing how they started working through the pain together might help. I dunno...JMHO anyway.

NinaV
06-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Maybe it's just because I hate seeing the network (NBC) profiting from their pain. Like I said, I DO think they should talk about it. But I REALLY doubt that seeing them talk about it on national television would have been helpful to anyone. I had lost people near and dear to me and seeing them all hash it out rubbed me the wrong way, and it most certainly didn't help me in anyway.
I realize everyone is different, so I suppose it could have helped someone. By that logic, maybe it helped someone to see the mother screeching like a banshee at her husband in the gym when she was being his "trainer"? It made me very uncomfortable.
Anyway, my biggest problem with this show is not really the family. It's more the idea of "all these fat people just need someone to scream at them in order to get their butt in gear." I feel like the world already sees overweight people as lazy bums who just need to get off their ***. I don't need to see that idea reinforced.

Hun.e.B
06-05-2010, 10:18 AM
I agree, I dont think I'd respond the same way to the screeching at all, I would probably flip Jillian the bird and go on my merry way. I think thats why I've always liked bob better. Sure he has his screeching moments but they are usually warrented.

I didnt like that the way for the woman to empower herself was to yell at her husband??

NinaV
06-05-2010, 10:34 AM
AGREE! I have moments when I imagine Jillian trying to treat me the way she treats people on her shows... Let's just say in my imagination it doesn't end well for Jillian. I used to like her, but in the last few years, and having read some of her books, I've come to question her motives. IMHO she's in it for the money all the way and could care less about the people.
Most weight loss shows on TV these days have pretty much the same issues, with a couple of exceptions. "Ruby" for example on style network can be truly inspirational and as far as I can see manages to really be about her and her struggles, not about "let's kick all them fatties butts so they can lose weight".
There used to be "Diet Tribes" on lifetime, which was about a group of women trying to lose weight together and supporting each other through it. But it's not on anymore. Other than that, if I do watch "The Biggest Loser" on occasion, it's for the drama, not to get inspiration or weight loss tips.

trekkiegirl
06-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Jillian posted about the yelling on her FB page:

"I see comments on here about my screaming at trainees. I'll explain to clarify. When people give up I use fear (of me) to push them past old beliefs of failure into achievement. Once they've completed the workout they thought they couldn't do i become irrelevant & they're left w/ the accomplishment. That accomplishment redefines their self image & their potential. Notice after I yell, they stop quitting & get better."

Hun.e.B
06-12-2010, 01:53 PM
eh whatever, she starts yelling before anyone says anything about quitting. she just likes to yell, thats her thing. Some people like it and respond to it, others dont.

RayStar
06-15-2010, 09:59 PM
I am warming up to her show. Tonight it got preempted by Tom Izzo's speech.

eclipse
06-16-2010, 01:18 AM
I don't know, this one really bugged me. I just don't think promoting losing 74 lbs in 2 months as something that's at all safe.

Slim CB
06-16-2010, 10:19 AM
I agree with you eclispe....last night I was in shock. I was like 'Come on'...no one can do lose 9.25 lbs per week with just pure diet and exercise. She must have put her on some diet pills too. I'm sorry...last nights show was disappointing.

Kimphin
06-16-2010, 11:49 AM
I haven't watched a full episode yet, I've only caught the endings for the past 2 weeks. I have to believe that Jillian doesn't yell at them ALL of the time, because the people that she has worked with (on this show, and on TBL) sure do love her. I would hope that it is just how it is shown. That being said, it is a little hard to watch her doing her "therapist" routine and talking them through whatever their issues are.

suzie76
06-16-2010, 02:13 PM
I missed the show last night. Does anyone know if they run a repeat another night of the week?

Someone lost seventy four pounds in eight weeks!!! There is no way that can be done in a healthy way.

Sherry

momof4under5
06-18-2010, 02:37 AM
The episodes are all on nbc.com!

I was shocked at her losing all that weight two but if she really buckled down and did a biggest loser cut the calories way down up the excercise she coulda had some big weeks like they did on the ranch but thats still a big number for 8 weeks...

Just wish we knew how it was done! That was what I liked about the show was it was THEM doing it not them on a ranch being PUSHED to do it!!

desertdiva2u
07-02-2010, 11:30 AM
I was disillusioned with the herbal supplements Jillian was hawking but tried to think positive. I get the daily Jilliam Michaels dot com emails and was trying to decide to join or not. I stopped to look at the t-shirts and her website doesn't carry anything over an XL size. That told me volumes. It's about the money and not about getting healthy so I unsubscribed from her site and now looking at a new plan of action. Her site caters to skinny girls who yoyo those 20 lbs and not people like me who need to lose 120 lbs.

Wild Vulpix
07-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I think I would enjoy it if it wasn't trying so hard to tug on my heart strings. All the episodes I've seen so far are trying SO hard to make me cry (and succeed a little) and I just can't enjoy it. (And I like crying! I guess I'd rather have a more informative program than a weep-fest.) For example, in the first episode... I would have rather watched them work out in the gym, or outside, or cook than watch the husband and wife cry and talk about their deceased son...

Maybe that's just me though. If I wanted to watch something that'd make me sad, I'd change the channel over to Lifetime...

EDIT: I'd LOVE it if the show was more like It's Me or the Dog!! That show is very informative.

trekkiegirl
07-11-2010, 02:20 PM
I didn't care much for the last episode, the one with the tribe. Despite the turnout at the walk and what the leader said about people were talking about changing the fry bread thing, I just don't think many people of the tribe were interested. I dunno, it just fell flat for me. And maybe it was edited out but it bothered me that there was such a big stink about Jillian throwing away food (okay, I get that it was insulting) and nothing about the fact that the kid threw food at her. I also didn't think the woman was that strong of a personality that she was going to able to bring about this tribal change she wanted. I dunno, I just felt like everybody probably went back about their business after the camera crew packed up and left and that only the family made any real change.

eclipse
07-11-2010, 02:49 PM
I really think Jillian should have focused, with them, on healthier ways to make traditional foods. I've made fry bread before with just a little oil and whole grain flour and it was still very yummy. I think that would have been more effective than just throwing away a bunch of food and calling it poison. I didn't hink it was a big deal that the kid threw food at her - it seemed like they were both playing around.

HoneyMustard
07-11-2010, 02:57 PM
I kept waiting for Jillian to make tribal dancing into an enjoyable exercise. But that didn't happen. It would be interesting to go back and see how the tribe is doing.

eclipse
07-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I kept waiting for Jillian to make tribal dancing into an enjoyable exercise. But that didn't happen. It would be interesting to go back and see how the tribe is doing.

I agree - I think there were so many things she missed the boat on here. She didn't seem to go in with any knowledge of their culture, and didn't seem interested in learning. She wasn't very culturally sensitive, at least not from what they showed us.

Cali Doll
07-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I didn't care much for the last episode, the one with the tribe. Despite the turnout at the walk and what the leader said about people were talking about changing the fry bread thing, I just don't think many people of the tribe were interested. I dunno, it just fell flat for me. And maybe it was edited out but it bothered me that there was such a big stink about Jillian throwing away food (okay, I get that it was insulting) and nothing about the fact that the kid threw food at her. I also didn't think the woman was that strong of a personality that she was going to able to bring about this tribal change she wanted. I dunno, I just felt like everybody probably went back about their business after the camera crew packed up and left and that only the family made any real change.

I agree with this totally. I didn't like the ep and I HATED that the kid threw the food at her. I do not think they were "kidding" with each other at all. Pretty sure she was pissed (and embarrassed).

I agree that the tribe probably went back to their old habits as soon as Jillian & Co left.

stella1609
07-11-2010, 06:53 PM
She seems so fake. I watched a few episodes, and when the family is crying, she looks like she's just acting. Badly.

WaistingTime
07-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I have been recording and watching while I work out, which I find motivating. This was the first season for me to watch BL and that also was great for a workout show. But I have to say that I really dislike Jillian's personality as a trainer. And I hate the fake staging and drama of both shows. I would love to see some recap of past BL contestants to see how many managed to keep the weight off.

JMfan
07-12-2010, 04:29 PM
The last episode got my mom to ditch the bleached enriched flour. I'm like "thank goodness" because I've been trynna figure out how to sneak in the wheat flour without her noticing.

"What do you think they bleach it with?"
"Bleach?"
"Yep. Wanna go do some laundry and have a cup together?"

MindiV
07-12-2010, 04:37 PM
The last episode got my mom to ditch the bleached enriched flour. I'm like "thank goodness" because I've been trynna figure out how to sneak in the wheat flour without her noticing.

"What do you think they bleach it with?"
"Bleach?"
"Yep. Wanna go do some laundry and have a cup together?"

Same thing here, with my husband. I've had a bag of whole wheat flour for a while, but he's poo-pooed using it until that show. Used it in pancakes the other day and he liked it a lot...

Cali Doll
07-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Oh yeah, that episode (The Franklin's) was my favorite! I just loved Jill's relationship with those adorable little girls! I also really enjoyed the husband's and wife's emotional transformations. I liked seeing a real reaction from the wife at the beginning...kind of how I'd expect a lot of folks to react.

Great ep!!

Violin Jenn
07-19-2010, 12:35 PM
I've stopped watching the show. It was great at first, but it seems to be the same thing everyweek only with a different family. JM moves in, happiness at first, then the resistance from some of the family, Dr. Jill works her magic then reveal. It's gotten boring to me. BL at least there are the different personalities and game play that we all love to hate.

trekkiegirl
07-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I watched all of them but it was wearing off on me, too. It was the same--you get one person (usually the woman/wife/mother) who really wanted it and had to drag everybody else along. And they even stuck the Subway ads in there with the bad acting, just like TBL. The walk that the tribe went on near the end of that show--it just felt more like it was done for the camera, it didn't seem to have any real motivation behind it.
The further along the series went on, the less "real" it felt.

ennay
07-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I "love" how Jillian does the dramatic camera moments at night about how tough this is going to be and what a challenge and ... Damn that woman is negative.

And I know he needed to lose weight, but I think 30 lbs in 6 weeks is WAY WAY too fast for a 10 year old.