Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Am I going to tolerate it? Diet delivery food

I love this forum... I really needed to read what others were saying about the food in the numerous diet delivery plans.

I don't have the resources to try and try again with the different companies... even pushing for 1 month supply is going to be a stretch, so I want to know how do the foods compare to (flavor/texture) frozen foods like Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice (bowls). I know the diet delivery foods have less sodium and are more balanced for nutrition - I really want to hear about the food.

Bistro MD has been the most eye-catching to me thus far but a bit more than I want to pay... but if it tastes better than most of the grocery frozen meals, I will give it a shot.

Also, how does the Nutrisystem SELECT food taste? I can't seem to find reviews on their frozen products.

If you want to shout out for your favorite plan... I'd love to hear it! I'm a busy mom to a nearly 4 year old and a set of 18 month old twins.

~Misty
autumnlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #2  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

I haven't tried any of the delivery food options however, I know from friends who have used them that they don't include any fuits or veggies etc you will still have to buy those things on top of them. But other than apparently they taste pretty good.
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You'll have to cook regardless right? I'm assuming for your husband and four year old at least, why not just cook healthier? 30 minute meals are awesome- I have cookbooks from amazon I only spent a few dollars on, the meals are quick, a few ingrediants, and healthy. Cooking light has some awesome books

Or how about making meals in advance and freezing them?

Not trying to offend- just seems like if you are going to order the food for yourself you will probably still have to cook for the rest of the family.

Last edited by beerab; 10-20-2009 at 02:49 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
You'll have to cook regardless right? I'm assuming for your husband and four year old at least, why not just cook healthier? 30 minute meals are awesome- I have cookbooks from amazon I only spent a few dollars on, the meals are quick, a few ingrediants, and healthy. Cooking light has some awesome books

Or how about making meals in advance and freezing them?

Not trying to offend- just seems like if you are going to order the food for yourself you will probably still have to cook for the rest of the family.
No offense taken

I think, I mean - I KNOW, I'm in the mist of a "it's too hard to get started" mindset. I think opening a cookbook would be helpful and excite me about the foods I could make that will be great for our family. Thank you for the suggestions!
Old 10-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You are so welcome! Seriously those 30 minute/cooking light cookbooks have saved my life- literally I get my meals made in 30 minutes and they are good and healthy

I also do things like cut up salads and package them for the week- really helps! I'll just cut up a bunch of lettuce and put it in a tupperware- then some tomato, some onion, etc, and just keep them seperate and piece them all together- they are usually good for a few days at least.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #6  

Height: 5'11"

I like Bistro MD. After the 2d week I dropped the breakfast & snack option. It's about $100 a week total just for lunches & dinners. The meals include a meat & two vegetables. I buy fruit & dairy snacks to substitute for the Bistro MD snacks & protien shakes.

I don't like to cook, don't cook well, and don't like to eat my own cooking. I'd be eating fast food if I didn't get Bistro meals delivered. I lose 2 pounds a week on Bistro MD and to me it's well worth the price to get balanced meals so conveniently.
Shreveportpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250+/176/149

Height: 5'7"

I've just started with Ourlife Fresh. It, too, is just lunch and dinner, 5 days a week - 10 meals. It's not cheap - the cost is $130 a week in my area, delivered. But the food is great - it really is restaurant quality, IMO. It's the way I've always wanted to eat but never had the time to accomplish.
hhichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #8  

Oh - snacks and breakfasts aren't really a problem for me on my own. It's the rest of the time when I would wind up eating fast food way too often - or just the same old tired thing over and over.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhichick View Post
Oh - snacks and breakfasts aren't really a problem for me on my own. It's the rest of the time when I would wind up eating fast food way too often - or just the same old tired thing over and over.
I feel the same way... I do great for breakfast and even morning snack and then the day gets out of hand and before I know it, I'm starving and making poor decisions.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #10  
Weigh Down Yonder

I've been on the Diet To Go plan for 5 weeks now ( the low carb Plan) and have found it to be really easy to stick to. The food is good and they let you make substitutions for the meals you don't like. There's low fat plans as well.

I started on the 7 Day plan with breakfast, lunch and dinner but have now decided to do the 5 Day B,L,D - I figure I can save some money & fend for myself the other 2 days without going too wrong. I may even go to just lunch & dinner since breakfast is a no brainer.

I have researched most if not all of the delivery plans and this one was the most reasonably priced for the better level of food - the shipping charge is also the best I think - $ 16.99 - the others were from $25-$50. I do look at the others from time to time to see if I want to switch but so far I've stayed with DTG - it's working well for me - a little over 22 pounds in 4 1/2 weeks but I do have a lot to lose so it's even more important that I have something for the long run and that I can afford it.

Hopes this helps - everyone is different so this is just my opinion and what is working for me right now. I've heard good things about BistroMD as well but it's more money. Good luck with your decision and your goal.

Last edited by leeway; 10-20-2009 at 11:12 PM.
leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #11  

It's helped me a lot, already, knowing I have a great tasting and healthy meal waiting for me at home or the office. Makes it easier to pass up the drive through or convenience store and hold out for the good stuff.

I'm spreading out my meals, so I have at least one every day. (It's the time of year where we are working 7 days a week so every day is a work day for me right now.)
Old 11-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/183/140

Default I can't cook - and when I try, it's horrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreveportpam View Post
I like Bistro MD. After the 2d week I dropped the breakfast & snack option. It's about $100 a week total just for lunches & dinners. The meals include a meat & two vegetables. I buy fruit & dairy snacks to substitute for the Bistro MD snacks & protien shakes.

I don't like to cook, don't cook well, and don't like to eat my own cooking. I'd be eating fast food if I didn't get Bistro meals delivered. I lose 2 pounds a week on Bistro MD and to me it's well worth the price to get balanced meals so conveniently.
Hi, Shreveportparm,

I could not have said it better: "I don't like to cook, don't cook well, and don't like to eat my own cooking." I tried to get motivated in the past to cook, have bought healthy cooking cookbooks, stocked my pantry properly, and all I've gotten is some horrible tasting mess. Fruits, vegetables, and lettuces end up rotting in the refrigerator, etc. Even though BistroMD seems expensive, I believe that actually it will come out even when I consider what I spend out at restaurants and what rots at home. The only good thing about these purchases is that I've been giving away a lot of food to Second Harvest - supports hungry families in my area.

I've on Day 3 of BistroMD. I like it. The food is great - and it seems like there is way too much to eat! I probably will drop the breakfast and snack option later - although I may stick with them for another week or two.

Good luck to those considering this, or any, diet delivery system - or those cooking at home for themselves and/or families. I think we have to find something that works for us and then stick with it for the long haul.

Have a great week!
SSIGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #13  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE not having to cook dinner. (We've tweaked the OLF plan and now get 10 dinners a week for two of us.) Not having to worry about what's for dinner, shop, prepare, etc is such a cool thing. I do breakfast/lunch/snacks on my own but I've found that having these hot yummy meals at night more than compensates for the lack of variety that creeps into my other meals.