100 lb. Club - the problem with *not* overeating...

LisaF
10-20-2009, 10:29 AM
The problem with not overeating - and boy, those are words I never thought I'd write - is that when everyone else around you is overeating you end up totally out of sync with their meal times!

This weekend I went to a Sunday brunch buffet with about a dozen other people. We started eating at 10:30ish. I ate well, and enjoyed what I ate, but I didn't eat until I was stuffed. (These days, I hate that feeling.) Most of my choices were on the healthier end of the food options.

After brunch, we went to Downtown Disney and walked around for hours. Around 2:00 I started to get hungry, and I figured everyone else would want to get food soon. By 3:00, I was pretty hungry, and someone else was saying, "I would totally want to go into the Ghirardelli store if I wasn't still so stuffed."

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not going to start overeating just to keep up, but I did feel weirdly out of sync with the rest of the group. Then again, I didn't say anything about being hungry, so maybe the other hungry people were also keeping quiet.

It's so amazing how much my life has changed. If I had been at the same brunch two years ago, I would have stuffed myself with muffins and scones and banana bread. This week I looked at that stuff at said, "okay, that's the caloric and nutritional equivalent of cake. Cake is not breakfast food."

Thighs Be Gone
10-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Muffins, scones and banana breads make me hungry an hour later! On the other hand, I ate 6 egg whites on Sunday with a huge tomato at 11 in the morning. Believe it or not, I wasn't hungry until about 5 that afternoon.

You could always put some small baggies of raw almonds in your purse. I am constantly amazed how long they satisfy me. I am talking like 12-15 of them.

findingfawn
10-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Gosh, even when I ate like a pig, I would be hungry within a few hours of eating way more than I should have.

I agree, keep some kind of a healthy snack in your purse for times like that.

TJFitnessDiva
10-20-2009, 11:52 AM
I agree with keeping healthy snacks in your purse! They come in handy :)

SwimGirl
10-20-2009, 12:47 PM
I totally know this feeling! My brother only eats 1-2 times a day, but I like to eat 5-6 smaller meals a day. One day we were out and he wasn't hungry, but I was starving!! I thought I was going to be sick, so at the one place my brother would stop the dbf got me a chocolate bar. And this is why I always pack some almonds, or pretzels in my purse.

-Aimee

JulieJ08
10-20-2009, 01:04 PM
I totally get that. We had a buffet lunch Sunday. Probably I ate lighter than I would have, because I didn't much care for the food. But even if I did, I try very hard not to overeat. We went home to have homemade birthday walnut chiffon cake that I was really looking forward to - and no one wanted to have a piece with me! They were so stuffed. Of course, they all had 3 or 4 kinds of dessert at the restaurant, even though they knew what (really good homemade cake!) was at home. It was kind of depressing.

beerab
10-20-2009, 01:34 PM
I definitely understand- when I eat now- I eat till satisfied- that stuffed feeling just bothers me a lot.

My husband will eat two huge meals in a day while I'll eat a bunch of smaller ones- like today my breakfast was a HUGE apple with peanut butter- so yummy! But I know in about 2-3 hours I'll be eating a good sized lunch as well. I usually eat like 4-5 times a day.

When we go to places like theme parks I do bring snacks cuz I know that I'll be hungry before everyone else. Usually fruit, nuts, cheese, beef jerky, water, quick stuff like that :)