100 lb. Club - Any walkers out there?

View Full Version : Any walkers out there?

DarkAspen
10-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Walking is going to be my primary form of exercise. Luckily, I live in an area where it really is a pleasure to get outside. We have beautiful scenary and lots of wildlife to keep things interesting (at least to me!) Given that I live in the Rocky Mountains, I am going to have to come up with a winter plan. I will start looking on Craig's List to see if there are any great deals on used treadmills (and then I will have to figure out where in this house we could put one.)

Anyway, today I walked (for the first time in ages, really). I was out for about 1.5 hours and went (according to a handy Internet map) about 1.6 miles. Yes, that rate really is pathetic, isn't it? :^: My overall time included time to watch some deer and slowly sneak up on some birds and time to stand gasping for a bit until I had enough air to go on.

How long did you walk? How far? Was there anything that made your walk fun or surprising?

nelie
10-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Hello,

I'm a hiker (glorified walker) and I walk my dogs on most days. With the dogs, we generally go out for at least a mile on most days and on the weekends, maybe 2-3 miles or more. The longest hike I've done so far is about 6 miles in a little over 2 hours. I actually don't use walking as my primary form of exercise but I find it is a good supplemental.

I like to see wildlife on my walks. Also, when we go hiking, I love scrambles (love!!).

One thing I will say that you can definitely build up in your abilities. When I started doing hill/mountain hiking, I used to have to take quite a few breaks but now I don't need breaks.

Tai
10-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Welcome to 3fc's and to walking! I think it's a wonderful form of exercise. It was all I was able to do when I first started losing weight and I still enjoy it.

Please don't ever think that your rate of 1.6 miles isn't good enough; you are just starting out. Every bit of activity is to your benefit!

I think your plan for a treadmill sounds great, but if room is an issue you might want to check out Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away the Pounds" videos.

Your avatar is just beautiful.

Lyn2007
10-19-2009, 01:32 PM
I walk. I started with 30 seconds down the sidewalk and 30 seconds back. Yeah, I was in that bad of shape. I added on a few feet every time I went until I could do 2 blocks. I felt like I was on top of the world!

Now I usually walk a mile at a good clip. I have done up to 2 miles but cannot go longer than that due to knee issues. I think it's important to walk where you enjoy it. If you hate walking down the street with cars you won't keep it up. I like to go to parks and walk.

Indoors when I cannot walk I use my bike (see avatar). I love my bike. It is my soulmate :)

findingfawn
10-19-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm a walker, but I do it at home to Walk Away The Pounds videos :D

I have been keeping my eyes open for a treadmill and an eliptical in my price range which lately has been "free"..lol. I'm lucky enough to live in a beautiful area, on a mountain lots of peace and quiet here, but the road is not a very safe road to walk on, people drive way too fast on it and it's very windy. I don't feel safe walking it with my kids in tow so I don't. Once we move to our new house, just a little ways up the mountain, we will be on a private road and have that to walk... I can't wait for spring to actually be able to do it.

Truffle
10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm a walker.
I especially like to wear my pedometer and compete with myself to keep doing better.

My daughter gave us her treadmill when she moved, but I don't like using it. I'd much rather walk outdoors, even if it's cold. There's a patch of woods near our house that I like to walk in. (I know I shouldn't be, but I am really embarrassed to walk along the road right now where people can see me.)

No matter how fast or slow you are, or how long or short your walks, any amount of walking is good.

Enjoy your walks. :)

crzymom6
10-19-2009, 02:36 PM
I love to walk! We have several good forest preserves around here that are close, and great for walking, especially with all my kids. I am trying to stick to strength training 3 days a week, and cardio 3 days, I use the walking on days the kids need to get out and about, often on top of my normal workout.

Sadly we've been stuck at home for almost 2 weeks with the swine flu:(, and our good weather days are coming too quickly to an end.

HeyHeyGabby
10-19-2009, 02:48 PM
i love to walk :). normally it's on my treadmill for the duration of one of my favorite CD's. I've also started something else i hope to continue: walking to my favorite place. My cousin and i are BFF and we've decided to start walking to the places we hang out at like Town Center and Albertsons (sad i know, but i used to work there so we got used to hanging out there, haha)

Thighs Be Gone
10-19-2009, 03:10 PM
When I began to exercise, I started with walking. I simply couldn't run. I think walking is way, way underestimated. You are doing the right thing by starting. It is not only good for weightloss but for overall health and mental wellness. As you are able, increase your intensity and distance. You will build before you know it.

Tibouchina
10-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Don't forget to check Freecycle for a treadmill.

Love to walk. That's actually one of my favorite dates....just walking around town and talking.

I also like to go hiking and walking in the canyon.

Because of a book called "You Don't Have to Be Thin to Win", I also got into doing 5ks. They're pretty darn fun. I'm no speed demon, and walk most of it. But it's great for motivation. It's fun to see people cheering you on, and gives you goals to work towards. I even did a half marathon (at 242 pounds, no less) and looking to do a full marathon next year. I really don't know where this side of me came from :D

In the winter...well, I have a gym membership at the moment. But before, I would go walking on the local university's indoor track. Maybe there is somewhere around like that?

Or, I know some people do mall walking. That's another thing you could do indoors.

Yay for walking!

Thighs Be Gone
10-19-2009, 03:13 PM
i love to walk :). normally it's on my treadmill for the duration of one of my favorite CD's. I've also started something else i hope to continue: walking to my favorite place. My cousin and i are BFF and we've decided to start walking to the places we hang out at like Town Center and Albertsons (sad i know, but i used to work there so we got used to hanging out there, haha)

Most employees at my Kroger know me and my children's names. LOL! My water broke at Kroger with my 2nd daughter. My first job was at KROGER! I find nothing sad about it at all! :) In fact, if I was going to go back to work full-time, I would probably be a manager. LOL!

Butterfly50
10-19-2009, 04:53 PM
I am like findingfawn I do the walk a way the pound videos. My neighbor hood isnt the best one to walk in lately so I can stay in the comfort of my house. I love them I wouldnt give them up for nothing.

ChrissyBean
10-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Walking is my primary form of exercise. I don't walk outside much as I live on a country road and I can either go left or right--no interesting loops or walking paths or whatnot, just left or right then turn around and come home. We have oodles of bush I can hike, but with the bugs in the summer and the hunters/bears in the fall...not really an option.

SO, I have a treadmill. I *heart* my treadmill. I try to do at least 3 miles a day: today I did 4.5 mi. When I first started, it took me over an hour to do 3 miles, but now I can do 4 in an hour exactly.

My iPod and my treadmill are my favourite things.

CanadianCutie
10-19-2009, 05:19 PM
I walk, this time of year, the brisk autumn weather is so great. I don't use it as my main form of exercise, just when I need a breath of fresh air, or of course to get somewhere.

platformnine
10-19-2009, 05:30 PM
I loooooove walking :D We're lucky enough to have space for a treadmill, so I have that. I also love to do Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home dvds. I usually do the 2 mile one everyday and take my dog for a 1 mile walk in the late afternoon/night around our neighborhood. I believe it's not so much in the distance (though it is pretty cool telling people you walk 50 miles a month :D), it's more in how long you go for. So don't feel bad about only walking 1.6 miles, you were out there for over an hour and that's great!!

bcort
10-19-2009, 05:45 PM
I love this post - in my pre-kid life I was a jogger, I have gone through a couple couch potato years, & am getting back into walking. Once I get the motivation to get out the door I love walking. I live next door to a park with a walking trail, so I have no excuse other than laziness. (as for your "slow" time - don't forget the altitude, which makes all exercise SOO much harder!)

This didn't happen to me, but it's such a great story that I'll share: my friend was walking her dog in the woods last week, while a 10 point buck was running perpendicular. Apparently neither animal noticed the other, so the dog ran smack into the deer's hind feet/leg. Neither animal so much as slowed down! Can you imagine??!

H8cake
10-19-2009, 05:50 PM
I walk mostly, sometimes I'll jog. I have a treadmill and when I started I went very slow and no incline. I've worked up to 4.6 mph on a 11% incline. I do at least 30 minutes five days a week and sometimes more. When I started I set that rule of 30 min. 5 days a week and have stuck to it. I very gradually up the intensity. I have a tv on my treadmill, but we got rid of the satellite so I listen to my ipod, which helps more anyway. I have quite a good collection of songs that get me moving.

yoyoma
10-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Walking is my primary form of exercise. When I started, it was only 2/3 mile a few times a week. I built up to 2 miles on flattish roads almost every day and stayed at that level for a long time. Now my normal walk is about 3 miles on fairly rocky trails in the woods with significant hillage. I am way more fit than I used to be and I think it's a perfectly acceptable form of exercise -- and one of the only forms I enjoy!

WildThings
10-19-2009, 06:47 PM
I am another huge fan of walking. When I started out, that was really all I could do. I would walk very slowly with my dog in the evening, and I also added in some walking on my lunch break at work. In the beginning, I would try to walk 30-40 minutes on my lunch and was only making it just under a mile...I thought I was flying along. I know walk 3 miles at 4mph on my lunch breaks every day, 2-3 miles after work with my dog (she's in better shape now too), then 3-4 days a week, I also run 3 miles. I LOVE hiking, this weekend my sister an I did 8.5 miles through the gorges in Hocking Hills (Ohio). Completely goregous hike with the fall colors, and man was it a workout. I don't know if I have ever climbed so many steps before.

For the winter, were I live, we get snow and cold, but nothing major. The only time I won't walk outside is really when there is ice on the sidewalks. It's kind of exhilarating to be out in the cold, just bundle up. I think I will also invest in a Walk Away the Pounds dvd and maybe a few other higher impact cardio dvds for when I can't run.

Trazey34
10-19-2009, 06:52 PM
me too! It's sad, but before I was way too big for almost any treadmill!!! so i did the "WATP" vids, and walked in the mall (which is much nicer than i thought!) and then our "LVEC" large venue entertainment complex opened up to the public for walkies it's great! day or night (when no shows are on) you can walk safely, nice bright lights and escourt to your car if desired, you can borrow a pedometer! and lots of STAIRS to trot up and down in between laps, awesome!

It's funny, when I started I avoided a sandwich shop near my office because it was about a football field away - co workers would run over at lunch but i was too afraid i'd collapse half way! Now I"M the one booting it over there super fast! yay! stamina DOES improve, honest!

Ryanne
10-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Luv it! :yay:

Mikayla
10-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Walking is my primary form of exercise as well. I love walking and listening to music, it clears my head. Sometimes I throw in some running in there too, but mostly I just walk. I try to do at least 4 miles 4-5 days a week. It's been working great for me so far!

ubergirl
10-19-2009, 10:33 PM
I love walking too and walking outside is my absolute favorite... my only regret is that I also don't have a good place to walk where I live-- there are good places, but I have to drive to get to them-- my favorite is when I can just walk out my front door and go. I've been lobbying DH for several years that I want to move to a more walkable environment...

We moved to the area we live in now (outer suburban) eight years ago, and that's when I lost all my physical fitness and packed on the last deadly fifty pounds. Before that I always lived in places where I could walk places and fit exercise into the regular rhythm of my day.

I do have treadmill now, but I MUCH prefer walking outdoors... still I see lots of benefit from the treadmill and I get on it whenever I don't have time for the gym.

kasmin
10-20-2009, 06:29 AM
I also love walking. Although I do best when I have a destination to walk to (ie work or home). just 30 minutes a day makes a HUGE difference:D

TraceyElaine
10-20-2009, 08:10 AM
I think everyone should add walking to any workout routine. It's so satisfying. I am a HUGE fan!It's just peaceful. It's a little like 50% workout 50% meditation lol.

DarkAspen
10-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Another reason to like walking is it's so transportable. If you are visiting people or on vacation all you need to take is your shoes (which you probably took anyway) and some knowledge of safe areas where you can walk there. I wonder how far all the walkers on the board walk in a day if you added it all up? I wonder how long it would take us to cyber-walk from San Diego to Seattle?

Bcort, what a weird deer story! Who was more surprised, the dog or the deer? Coincidentally, there was a little 4 point buck on our wooden deck this morning when I shook out the rug. It was still dark and I couldn't imagine what that clattering was! We still have bears prowling in the area, so I got back in right quick!

Truffle
10-20-2009, 12:49 PM
This is a great thread.
Several years ago I read about a person who had lost a lot of weight just by walking around their backyard.

I do the same thing when I just want to add more steps to my day. I wear a pedometer and just head out to walk loops around our yard.

Last winter I went out and shoveled a little walking loop for myself on the front lawn. When dh saw it, he got out the snowblower and blew a path for me all the way around our property. Worked very well.

matt_H
10-20-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm a walker. When I first started out I couldn't walk to the end of the street without being out of breath and sore.

Now, I walk marathons and 60 mile treks over 3 days :).

Walking is great exercise. Its low impact and it is very relaxing. I try to walk at least 2 miles every day and when I'm in training for an event it is much more.

duckyyellowfeet
10-20-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm a huge walker. I know I'll never be able to run safely, so I've learned to really enjoy my walks. Normally, I go with my roommate and we'll do three miles around my college campus. With our conversation, those miles go by so fast.

I also really like Leslie's walk away the pounds videos. I have the one she did when she partnered with Nutrisystem and its my go-to when i can't leave the house to get a work out in

cfmama
10-20-2009, 04:28 PM
I love walking. I started with just around the block, then around two blocks and so on. Now I'm walking 4-5 miles three times a week and loving it!

JustBeckyV
10-20-2009, 04:45 PM
I am a walker as well. I started out with just walking around the block. Then I made my way up lol I walk outside mostly - 1 mile at lunch and 2.5 miles at night - that I have worked up to walk/jog. My parents have a treadmill so I go over tehre when it's rainy or really cold!!

Get an ipod and walk it out lol

DarkAspen
10-21-2009, 08:21 AM
I will definitely have to check out the walk away the pounds video. Thanks to everyone for that recommendation. I am impressed by the kinds of walking everyone is into. It helps to hear where you all started and the serious walking you are doing now. I had to drive my son to school yesterday, so I drove to a local open space and walked there. That makes 2 days in a row. And I WILL leave for a walk this morning when my son walks to the bus stop, even though right now it feels like I couldn't possibly go more than a few steps. Walking very definitely helped the last 2 days, so I have to force myself to do this so that I can get through today as well. Thanks, everyone!

waquilter
10-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Hope it's not too late to throw in my two cents worth - I live in the mountains also, but instead of a treadmill, I invested in some Trax (available at LL Bean or an different brand at Ace Hardware stores) for my boots so I don't slip on the ice. I can get out and walk any time of the year. I love it!!

Stylist83
10-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Me and my husband are walking at the moment..we switch it up.. there is a school above our house..we walk 4 laps around the football field equaling 1 mile..a park 4 laps around the trail is 1 mile..or we walk in the neighborhood.We have just started walking so thats why we are walking a mile to start out with. I am also looking for a treadmill because its starting to get cold here in KY Brrr... I would just say switch it up. Walk the park one day..then switch it up with a walk in the country..Or if you have a state park or something around your house there is always hiking trails. P.S. you can get a decent treadmill at walmart for fairly cheap..Good luck and happy trails :)