Old 10-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #1  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Default 40 Somethings Oct. Chat Week 3

Was going to just add to the other thread but thought that seemed a bit lazy!

Today is our anniversary. DH and I have been married 24 years today! Half of my life! That seems so weird to me. We will go out for dinner to celebrate so I have packed a light lunch to help offset what I might have for dinner. Eating out does not scare me anymore. I know what to avoid and I'm good at bringing home leftovers.

Finally had some sunshine over the weekend. Volleyball and soccer kept us busy but I really enjoy going to the games and visiting with the other parents too!

Time to head to work, Hope everyone has a great day!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #2  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Happy Anniversary - Enjoy Your Dinner
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #3  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

OMW, Happy Anniversary!

I've been doing better with my eating, and have lost about two lbs, BUT I'm still above where my STARTING ticker says. changing it would be too depressing. . I typed that but then thought maybe I should change it, maybe I would find it more motivating??? ETA: I changed the ticker.

Hubby and I ate lunch yesterday, went shopping, and at about an hour after lunch he asked if I was hungry?? I exclaimed "NO, we only ate an hour ago" He checked his phone for the time, and didn't say anything else. I told him he was probably thirsty, but I wonder if he was just bored or thought more time had elapsed??

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 10-19-2009 at 10:46 AM.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!

OMW - happy 24th! Go out and enjoy that dinner! We had a gorgeous Sunday here too - a classic cool, sunny, crisp Michigan fall day.

patch - I joined 3FC about 5 months before I actually started losing weight. It was kind of like peeking out the door of the skydiving airplane - the little voice was going "jump! jump!" but I wasn't ready to let go. You've lost -- not gained, so that is progress! It looks like you're getting all the ducks in a row with the exercise and the eating; now it's just a matter of synchronizing your orchestra, so to speak. The "groove" is there for you to claim.

CAT - the hike sounded wonderful. It's very cool that your spouse is willing and eager to do such active things with you!

Weekend bloat is dropping back off as predicted. I'll be in the pool tonight, and if nothing hurts, will try for 2000 yds. The iPod Touch is on its way - I had it engraved with "A goal is just a dream with a deadline - 10/14/09" to memorialize the day I went under 150. I do want to put a little distance between me and that mark, though.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #5  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Question Why do Monday's come around so often???

Cruise, sounds like you had a great weekend and my jealousy that you have your DH back has ebbed. Did you wear the dress for Mack?

Penguin, the joy of fall – dressing in layers for the always changing temps.

OMW, congratulations on the 24 year anniversary. Welcome to the married for half your life (or more) club. 24 years is great. Enjoy your celebration.

ICU, that’s a great inscription. You will so enjoy that reward and every pound you put behind you as well.

I’m at work and the only one left in the technology dept. H1N1 has claimed the rest. So I sent an email to the entire district not call, that the dept was closed (I’m not help desk and would hate to be). So my hope is for quietness so I can work on state reports. Which isn’t fun but a necessary evil.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #6  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Marie - yikes! May the germs not recognize you! Thank goodness your coworkers have the decency to stay home. Sounds like you've got it under control. Only downside is that somebody's going to discover that you can run an entire department by yourself, which will lead them to Improper Thoughts.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #7  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I did my first workout today with my Pilates Circle. I haven't bought one of these before becasue my additude was "Why make Pilates harder than it already is??" I should have picked an easier beginner workout but I finished the workout, however I didn't finish all the reps or did all the exercises. I did Karen Voight's Total Body Training Pilates, 50min. We started out with abwork, progressed to inner thighs, outer thighs, and topped ourselves off with pushups. I did find that the Circle made simple exercises like side leg lifts and leg circles much more effective, and I'm kicking myself for not buying one sooner.

ICU, I guess I'm discouraged because I'm losing weight I've gained since I joined 3FC. But as you pointed out, I've got my plan and I'm losing again. Thanks for the pep talk!

Marie, LOL, on being the lone survivor at work! Smart move to send the email.

Last edited by patchworkpenguin; 10-19-2009 at 01:54 PM.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #8  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

Happy Anniversay - 24 years is quite an accomplishment!

Penguin - great job on losing 2 pounds - we can only control what we do today, yesterday is gone

ICU - I love my ipod touch...hope you love yours as much, and glad to hear the bloat is dropping off

Marie - hope you get your quiet so you can get your reports done

Hi, I'm Deb and I'm new to the 40's board, but looking forward to losing with everyone here.

For me, today was a good day - I hit my first 10 pounds off...it felt great to see that this morning.
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #9  
Lifelong Journey Member

Lambchop - Deb, welcome and congrats on the first 10 pounds!!! That's always a huge motivator!

ICU and Deb, the best app I have on my iphone (and ipod touch) is Lose It! and it's FREE!!!! It is fabulous. I think I remember Cruise saying she uses the program as well for logging calories/consumed foods. Because it's always with me, there is no excuse not to log.

Penguin, if I could, I'd give you my Pilates machine. I hated it. I was bored to tears. I tried selling it but I'm a lousy salesgirl as I said it was BORING!!!!

ICU, LOL at the Improper Thoughts. Since I didn't respond to helpdesk nonsense, I bet they'll keep the flu victims employed. Now me, they could lay me off at this point and I'd do the happy dance. The state reports are driving me batty - and now I want to munch. Thankfully home to my elliptical and all will be well and I won't devour 20,000 calories from frustration.

Also, I did keep my promise to make an appointment with a Dermatologist. Nov. 12 at 11:40 over the mountain. My former boss, now friend is going with me so we can then shop too.
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 10-19-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 234/232.5/165

Height: 5'-5"

Default Not such a great day - the scale mocked me!

Usually a first week on a diet is a good motivator as I'm always down. This week I was instead, UP .5 POUNDS! I felt so let down today. AF is not completely gone though, so I will weigh again tomorrow and the next day - something I don't ever do. I like to weigh once per week only.

It did get me down momentarily, but I still stuck to my guns, and everything I ate I put into Fitday today. I've shown a deficit every day since I started (and a fairly big deficit - I didn't realize one could burn so much in a day doing nothing btw - so I did expect a loss regardless of AF still being here).

Any words of wisdom? Is this a blip? I haven't added exercise in yet, but it's been a tough week - AF and migraines. Lots of housecleaning though!

For those using Fitday....does it calculate the recommended levels you should stick to for carbs, fat, etc.? I haven't found it yet and wondered if it was there.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Tracy
TracyLewWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #11  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

I have Lose It!

I love "Track Weight" and iDiary lite for small notes about my weight and plan
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #12  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Marie - thanks for the reminder about Lose It! New toy should be arriving in the next day or two and that will be one of the first things to go on it. I've had good luck with my old boring paper planner this year, but it does take up a lot of room. Do not munch. It will not make the report go away. Unless you eat the report, and then you'll just have to rewrite it again. Glad to hear you're making the trek to the skin doc. My little burn spot is flaking away, and it looks like the aggravating spot is gone with it. Woohoo!

Tracy - I think your strategy to give it another couple days is fine. Generally, the advice is to give any plan at least 3 weeks to work before you make modifications to it. That gives you a chance to see what the monthly fluctuations are going to do. I'm with Marie - I get 80% of any loss for the month all in one week ... and for me, that's the week that's coming up for you. Hang in there!

patch - keep up the Pilates! I never was able to keep at it for very long, but was always amazed at how fast it made a difference in my stomach muscles.

Swam pretty hard last night and was absolutely starving this morning. The protein shake stayed in the cupboard - I had leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes instead. Still waiting to see what the exercise increase is going to do to the scale - so far, so good.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #13  
Let's Get Going!!!

Default Hello

Well, hello and happy aniversary OnMyWay!
Cruise, you look amazing!
Marie, I hope you don't get sick.
Lamb, what is loseit? Is it an app for iPhone?

Today the scaled smiled and said... 138! I am blown away baffled. I hope that it sticks or at least stays in the 30s. I am going to be so good this week.
Maybe I should go off and cheat more often when I am depressed. Maybe I needed a nudge of sorts. Think positive for me that it stays!

dmc
dmc2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #14  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Deb - Welcome to the group. Ten pounds is a GREAT start.

Becky - I love that Mack is also making an effort to eat right and workout. We both lost about 40 lbs. but when I stopped at the 10 gain he did not. Unfortunately he has put on about half and is now kicking himself. Now that he is back from Mexico he is serious again. Yesterday he didn't feel like doing the treadmill so we ended up walking his 5 mile running loop.

I was thinking about you when we went by the town pool on our walk yesterday. I thought about stopping in and checking the hours for lap swimming and then decided I wouldn't use it until spring so we didn't stop. I've never been a strong swimmer, I asked Mack how odd would it look if I wore my mask & snorkel to do laps.

I do use lose it but only when I am on the road and don't have my laptop. I use FitDay mostly because I purchased in many years ago and it's what I got use to; creature of habit I guess.

Tracy - I have the purchased version of FitDay and you can set that up under the "Weigh Goal" tab.

Well the dogs are driving me nuts, time to take them out for morning play time.
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #15  
Lifelong Journey Member

Tracy, I find weighing once a week depressing because on a daily basis I can see my weight fluctuate by a couple pounds. I’m a firm believer in Murphy’s Law that if I weighed once a week, it would ALWAYS be the day that I retained 20 pounds of water. Regardless, great job staying focused even though the evil scale tried to sidetrack you!

Lambchop, does Track Weight show a graph and have the notes? Or do you use two programs for that? I created a spreadsheet in Quickoffice that I can put in Excel on my Mac because I like seeing the graph. It makes me happy.

ICU, thanks for the words of wisdom. You truly made me laugh aloud and my co-worker asked what I was laughing at. She agreed with you. I loved your breakfast choice. I was eyeing a leftover slice of pizza, especially since I was running late this morning.

DMC. YEAH on the 138! Great job!!! Lose It is an ipone/ipod application. Really easy to use.

Cruise, have Mack not want to use the treadmill more often. A real walk is way better, especially 5 miles. BTW, I use a freestyle snorkel and goggles to swim and did it in our city pool. If I don’t, I tweak something in my neck. AND there were other lap swimmers doing the same.

My doggies thought pulling me on the walk was a great way to start my morning. Wrong! It took about 4 minutes to even get out the door as Sasha refused to sit and wait to be invited out. The other three were getting mad at her. That part was sort of funny as they started howling. Then they pulled for about 1 mile and didn’t he last .5 mile. I gave them a group grade of B-. I told Blizzard she got an A-, Kodiak a B-, Kai a B+. Then I looked at Sasha and said, “I’m being generous here with a C- but a D would probably be more accurate.” She just looked at me with those two different colored eyes and I laughed. She’s so adorable. Going down on of the hills, my pink toenail caught on the boot lining and it ripped off. The EEK at the top of my lungs at 5:30 in the morning sure startled my dogs. So now there’s no nail and the sock and shoe are bloody. I really hate Tuesdays. They have always been the worst day of my week.
Marie