Old 10-19-2009, 02:04 AM   #1  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Default Eating to train (running)

I've picked up running in the last three months, and am able to do about 3 miles at a time. I used to feel good after a run, but now I feel super tired, bloated, or even sick. Because everything else is good, I think it's my diet.

That being said, I have no idea how to eat like a person training for a race (which I am). More protein? More veggies? What will keep me sustained for my workouts?

I run three days a week with three days of cross training also. I know I need to count calories, but I really feel like I'm eating the wrong things. Problem is, I have no idea where to begin, and I want to have enough fuel for my runs without loading up on unecessary calories.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #2  

have you checked out runnersworld.com? I know there will be lots of help for this question there if you don't get it here
ashtina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Height: 5'7.25"

There was a really great guest post over on fitnessista.com (/?p=2376) on raw diet fueling but even if you're not doing raw or veg it is still some good info on fueling your training. The big key is that often people trying to eat for fuel get so caught up on nutritional labels with the "right" ratios that they stop A) Listening to what their body/brain is telling them it needs and B)eat so much processed food that only looks good on paper due to additives vs inherent nutrition.

So like, with protein, it isn't that you want _protein_ for your muscles and brain so much as you want all the essential amino acids you can't make, taken in through food.

As you get better at figuring out what you need I've found I can have frank conversations with my body/brain on what I should put in my mouth. Intuitive eating, if you will.
dangerousfish is offline   Reply With Quote