100 lb. Club - Let Me Tell You (again) Why You Need to Lift Weights

DCHound
10-17-2009, 08:34 PM
I've harped on this before...sorry. But it's so important.

I cleaned out some old boxes in my basement today and came across an old photo album I'd forgotten I had. It has pictures from work events I went to in 2002.

Several of the pictures were from a conference I presented at on St. Patrick's Day, 2002. I happen to know precisely what I weighed then, because I was dieting at the time and kept a diet journal, which I started using again when I restarted this journey last August (2008). So I went and looked up my weight, just to be sure.

It was 202 lbs, 30 lbs less than I weighed in at today.

The last time I lost 100+ lbs, I was completely lazy and did not exercise at all. No aerobics, no weightlifting, no walking, nada. Nuthin. Lost weight like crazy though, so I didn't worry about it.

Well.

This time, I have exercised aerobically irregularly, but some. More importantly, I lifted weights. Also irreguarly, but when I lifted, I lifted heavy. Very heavy. I can use the 25# and the 30# hand weights. I also can set the machines very high--for example, yesterday I did 115# bicep curls on the machines. (Sometimes the men frown at me because they have to lower the weight on the machines before they use them, LOL. [No offense to any men here of course!])

So here I am, exactly 30 lbs heavier than in those pictures. But. I am a FULL SIZE SMALLER at the higher weight. I know I'm a size smaller, because I just gave away two of the outfits in those pictures because they are too big (and quite unflattering, to be honest--what was I thinking LOL).

Not only that, but I have a figure. I don't need to hide in baggy clothes. I don't prance around in tight clothes of course, but my clothes fit, to show off my figure. Why? LIFTING WEIGHTS.

There are zillions of other benefits of course...the more muscle you carry, the more calories you burn. Building muscle helps your bones so you don't have as high a risk of osteoporosis later in life. And other good stuff. But, if you're vain, like me...lifting weights makes you LOOK BETTER. A LOT better.

That is all. Now back to your regularly scheduled 3FC programming. ;)

Krista
10-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks...that was inspiring. I'm going to get heavier hand weight tomorrow.

Jadebatdog
10-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Those are some really great points. I had a talk with my husband about this today because he was complaining that he is at his highest weight ever. I saw some pictures of him when he was about 18 and he looked about 50 pounds heavier then he does now. He is way more buff now then he was then.

ubergirl
10-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Ok, I'm sold. Any recommendations on getting started? I belong to a gym, but only use it to swim now. Am shy and phobic about the rest of it... can I start at home?

PinkFlamingo
10-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Iw ould really appreciate some advice on how to begin weights too!

Lyn2007
10-17-2009, 10:09 PM
I love this! SO very true. You are inspiring me to get back to weights again.

I started by buying a few weight lifting books on amazon, weight lifting for dummies and for woman and stuff like that. I bought 5 and 8 lb weights to start with and did one exercise for each muscle group.

Now I have a Jillian DVD which mixes aerobics and weights and I love that. Its a nice break from the "boring" lifting routine I was doing.

Brown Eyed Staccie
10-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I completely and totally agree! Learning to lift weights and actually enjoying it, I actually don't like cardio...but I force myself to do it - is amazing and produces excellent results.

I would highly recommend that if you can, to hire a personal trainer. Learning the proper techniques, particularly posture, the differences between a wide grip, stance, reps and all that stuff will really help produce results and decrease changes of injury.

I keep track of the weights I use and when I can do more than 12 reps (3 sets), I increase the weight so my body never gets adjusted. I also change my routine every three weeks.

If you can't start out with a trainer, start out with lighter weights until you feel comfortable with your stance and posture.

My trainer always told me to put my shoulders back and focus on my core. When I am working out my upper body, my abs are always engaged...

Weight training is your best friend :)

S

Arctic Mama
10-18-2009, 12:59 AM
I used to love lifting but haven't been done it since high school. I really should get back into it with resistance bands!

LisaF
10-18-2009, 02:21 AM
I have been meaning to start doing this for a while, but have been putting it off. You have inspired me! I just (this very minute) sent an email inquiry to a highly-regarded personal trainer in my neighborhood. Thanks so much for passing on your experience - and don't be afraid to keep harping!

Bonnie+J
10-18-2009, 03:18 AM
really awesome post. i have only lost 7lbs on the scale but i am down a dress size, because i lift weights. definitely worth the time and money spent!!!

Institches21
10-18-2009, 03:19 AM
I agree, lifting weights and heavy with fewer reps, it's helping so much.

I started out by just using the weighted gloves with my TurboJam DVD's and she has a couple of programs that add weights into the routines. Then I found doing those was not giving my body a challenge. So I set out to find something that would give me a new challenge, I recently saw a post, in the exercise thread that mentioned ChaLean Extreme, I knew that was what I needed. I'm only on week one of Burn, but I've already had to go out and buy heavier weights, I just love how exercise is something I now look forward too. Never thought I would say that, I still have a ways to go, but I know my body and mind are so much happier.

DCHound
10-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Well the best recommendation would of course be a certified personal trainer and free weights. That's not what I did though. I bought 5, 10, 15 and 25# free weights for home and bought a copy of Weight Training for Dummies. Then when I outgrew that, I by that time had a gym membership and I bought The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It focuses on whole-body exercises, not isolated movements like most weight training. But it's not meant for novices. Also there are some good DVDs out there. Don't be intimidated--it's really easy if you start slow and work your way up. I can now lift 77 lbs of dog food to my shoulder and carry it hands-free--I can also lift wet 70 lb dogs in and out of the tub. Weight training is highly useful for many reasons!

Matilda08
10-18-2009, 08:55 PM
I lift also and at the gym that I attend they have several classes that include sculpting with cardio which is an hour long class. YOu will see a difference in your body from weights and I can also tell that when you life you do burn. It sure helps and I must admitt those squatts are working wonders as well lol

Couch
10-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Absolutely agree. I fit into my high school ball gown already - I weigh 15kg more than I did then.

If the idea of going into the gym is too scary, then class can be good as a place to start. Circuit classes, or body pump (if that exists outside australia) are both good.

LitChick
10-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks for posting this. It's a great reminder that I need to start working more weight/strength training into my exercise routine.

shasha17a
10-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Thank you for sharing your story. I know I hear it all the time how beneficial weight training is, but its nice to hear a success story to confirm that.

findingfawn
10-19-2009, 10:14 AM
I can't wait to get moved into our new house so I can lift more often (that is where our weight stuff is). Right now it's very spuratic, but I dream of hitting the weights 2-3 times a week, and hubby finally says that we can get a Wii complete with the Fit for our "gym" I'm soooo excited!

Thanks for the reminder :)

JustBeckyV
10-19-2009, 10:27 AM
That's awesome!! I do lift weights as well but probably could do more!

IHeartMe
10-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Wow! I have always been proud of the fact that I have lost so much weight with very little excercise...NOT ANYMORE!! This post just kicked my butt into high gear. From here on I will make an honest effort to get as much excercise in as possible. This is just one more reasons that I love this site!

thistoo
10-19-2009, 04:15 PM
It's so true. I got a Facebook message from an old college roommate about some recent pictures I posted. She said I looked 'exactly the same' as the last time she saw me. What I think she meant was I haven't aged (though she hasn't seen me up close in 15 years!), which is nice. But the truth is that I weigh a mere 10 pounds less than the last time she saw me, but I'm a size 8/10 now, whereas I was a 14/16 when she knew me. That's a pretty major difference, and all because I'm so toned.

ChrissyBean
10-19-2009, 05:32 PM
There is much truth in what you say...but of all the exercises out there...I hate weights the most. SOOOO boring. :( I know I *should* be doing it, but alas...

Skyra
10-19-2009, 05:46 PM
For people who are new to weight-lifting -- if you're into exercise videos -- try checking out Chalean Extreme. I had NEVER done weight-lifting before getting those videos, and now I love it! (And though I haven't lost pounds yet I can tell I've toned up in the month since I started!) There's also an instructional DVD that shows you how to do everything with proper form and prevent injury, which is really good for a beginner.

The idea of Chalean Extreme is that you lift heavy weights for only a few repetitions. That means you get a really good workout in a short time. The program is about 3 days of weight-lifting per week, 2 of cardio, and 2 of rest. I love love love it. Feel free to PM me if you want more info about it. (And no, I'm not making any money for recommending these videos -- I just love them and think they're *that* good!)

Krista
10-19-2009, 05:59 PM
It worked!!! I went from the weighted glove to 5# hand weights and I got to move my ticker today!! Thanks for the tip!! :hug:

garnetrising
10-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Raise your hand if you heart weights. I love my dumbbells. I just got them yesterday and worked out with them for the first time today. It was just what my arms were needing. I love the feeling you get after a good workout, where your muscles have that slight ... I don't know what to call it. It's not really a burn, but it's that slight soreness when you move them that says you tore me down today, but it only builds me up tomorrow. ^^

DCHound
10-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I have always been proud of the fact that I have lost so much weight with very little excercise

Yeah, so was I. Everyone (back then) was all like, wow you must work out a lot. Nope, never. We have excellent public transportation here in the DC Metro area but I drove into work (back then) because I was too lazy to walk 4 blocks from Metro to my office, and back, every day. Lazy, lazy, lazy. So when I got down in the 190s I was really dissatisfied with my body. Flabby, squishy, yucky.

Not now! I weigh around 230 but I look like I weigh under 200 lbs. I credit weight lifting (and whole foods, not artificial junk) with this transformation. Go lift weights! Do it now!! :)

W5fatgirlslim
10-27-2009, 06:41 AM
I started using a gym in August - I do a mix of resistance and cardio and have noticed that my shaped is definitely getting mored honed, and that I am fitting into clothes I bought when I last lost weight that I could only fit into when I weighed less thanI do now - so I definitely am a believer in the power of exercise!

Must go as off to gym!

susiemartin
10-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the reminder.
Think I'll start with some free weights :)

Creeech
10-27-2009, 08:04 AM
DC, is it normal to see the numbers move up on the scale when you first start strength training?

HeaterAS
10-27-2009, 08:52 AM
DC, is it normal to see the numbers move up on the scale when you first start strength training?

I'm not DC but I will answer this...YES! Don't get discouraged. It is a good thing.

I have worked out with weights for years. I do the Firm and use heavy weights. They are responsible for a few years ago when I lost 40 lbs and weighed 230...I fit into a tight size 16...at 5 foot 4 inches.

I do want to note though that you should have some sort of program in mind when lifting weights. Whether it's doing it with a fitness video like the firm, p90x, or chalean extreme (which I need to look into! sounds like it would be just up my alley!), or going to a personal trainer.
I second the routines from the new rules of weight lifting for women. I'd ignore a lot of the eating advice since he's mainly talking to women who are already either at goal weight or close to goal weight (he doesn't advocate much cardio), but the routines are great. I went from doing pushups against a desk to doing full pushups on my toes with that series. And the routines don't take very long either.
You just want to be careful when starting out. Muscle building requires a schedule of sorts because most of the work done to make muscles is done AFTER the gym and when your muscles are resting. So you need to make sure you don't do arms heavy two days in a row, or legs or back...because you aren't giving your muscles a chance to repair and grow.

DCHound
10-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Just to second that, yes, if you are in a building phase it's not unusual to stall or gain. Who cares, your clothes will be getting bigger and bigger! :)

Nada
10-27-2009, 10:49 AM
115# bicep curls? Yeah I guess you do embarass the guys sometimes! I'm impressed--I'm going to raise my weight 5# on the bicep machine in your honor and I still won't be at half of what you do. Thanks for the encouragement.

I don't love weights like I do cardio, but I know it is important.

chickybird
10-28-2009, 08:16 AM
I know the scale goes up a bit when you start lifting weights, but eventually with proper diet and water, I will still lose weight right?

sprklemajik
10-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Chickybird-- once the fat loss is greater than the couple of pounds water weight you gain from lifting weights, the scale starts going down again.

chickybird
10-28-2009, 08:38 AM
thanks!

diyana
10-28-2009, 08:42 AM
What a wonderful thread! I love weight lifting, and try and get it in at least twice a week. I do 2 sets of 12 reps each at weights that cause fatigue by the 11th rep (weight obviously varies depending on the body part I'm working). I like how my biceps are starting to show definition, I just wish the rest of me was. But since I'm about 70-80 lbs overweight, I've got a lot of fat on top of the muscle I'm building.

Got to admit, that once I learned about weight training helping to burn more calories even at rest or sleeping (more muscle increases your base metabolic rate), I was all for weight training.

I've got a back injury that flares up again from time to time, so I've got to be especially careful about engaging the abs and using proper form/technique.

Thanks again, DC, for this thread! You are truly an inspiration and have rekindled the weight training fire within me.

daniela
10-28-2009, 04:24 PM
I've harped on this before...sorry. But it's so important.

Hey DC! I just got back from vacation and this is the 1st thread I decided to read, one word "AWESOME"! Lovinging all the positive and inquisitive follow up posts.

My two cents I'm just going to say DITTO to all the benefits DC and others pointed out and I'll add that at 145lbs I can fit into a size 4 or 6 depending on store/brand. Seriously that still boggles my mind! There is no way I would be as small as I am without weight lifting.

Yes, you read that right I said small and weight lifting in the same sentence. Ladies you will NOT look like the Hulk lifting heavy :D

nelie
10-28-2009, 04:47 PM
One thing else I'd add is step away from the machines and move into free weights when you can. I started initially with machines but I have to say free weights are so much better.

It was funny, the other day my stomach muscles were so sore!! Did I do crunches? Did I do sit ups? leg lifts? any ab exercise? nope. I'm doing a new routine right now and I can tell the difference. Also something I noticed when I initially started doing free weights is my balance also got so much better.

KaCee J
10-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Great posts everybody, I'm ready to do some weights now!!

DCHound
10-29-2009, 10:18 AM
115# is on the machine, using both arms, but yeah. The boys don't like that. :)

daniela
10-29-2009, 10:35 AM
115# is on the machine, using both arms, but yeah. The boys don't like that. :)

Wholly cr*p, you are strong DC!!! Very impressive! Is that doing bicep curls or peacher curls on the machine? How many reps can you do using that weight? WOW

I thought I was bad a** using a 60lbs barbell to do bicep curls. I can do 45lbs on the machine doing preacher curls...haven't tried the machine to do regular curls. Now I got to try it to see what I can lift :D

Here's a funny guy story from the gym this morning. I was doing pushups and some goober working with his trainer, in the same area as me, said he wanted to do pushups after I caught him checking me out. Then he could only do 5 before his form went to **** and his trainer kept telling him to go all the way down...haha

Silly guy, don't think pushups are easy just because you see a chick doing them!

I know this guy is new because I haven't seen him before and all of us regardless of gender have to start somewhere but I couldn't help it this just made me chuckle :devil:

nelie
10-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Speaking of pushups, last night in karate, we were told to do 30 pushups. There was a lot of groaning but I did 30 and my husband did 30 but a few of the girls and guys stopped way before us and I even saw some really bad form.

DCHound
10-29-2009, 01:06 PM
I wish my gym had a barbell, all it has is dumbbells and I can barely pick up anything over a 35. 115# on a machine is nowhere near doing it with freeweights.

I can do maybe 8 if I start out fresh. I have to bust through those last couple, though, especially if there's someone standing there waiting on the machine. :)

I sling 50-70 lb dogs around all day, that definitely builds strength and endurance.

KarenAZ
10-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Interesting post. I have been riding my bike to success for 3 years now - gradually increasing to where I am presently, 45 minutes a day, 5x a week. I just started to add weights and my boss, as a belated birthday present, is giving me an hour with his personal trainer for her to teach me how to do weights properly. Will letcha know how that goes!

Charbar
10-29-2009, 10:44 PM
I could not agree more! I love.. love free weights. (plus they are better for you then the machines) I love what they have done for my body - I'm half way to goal and already have shape.. in my arms, thighs and butt! Who knew I had butt muscles?

If you have the money - invest in a personal trainer. Mine is $25/week at the Y - how much money did you spend on fast food? or to sit around and "chat" at WW? Trust me - this is the best money spent! Go to the Y.. and they will train you for free for the first 3 months. I sound like an informational - but it has changed my life.

runningfromfat
04-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I found this thread looking for older threads talking about the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" (I'm thinking of buying it and wanted to hear other opinions on it) and I just found it to be SUCH an inspiration for me that I wanted to bump it in case anybody else needed to hear it right now. :D

Right now I'm 192lbs and that's 4lbs above the highest weight I was pre-pregnancy (where I gained all my weight) and 17lbs above my weight when I actually got pregnant. However, I've been lifting. I started doing water aerobics a few months ago and I was doing that with those floating water weights. I've since moved on to actual weights and let me tell you, there's a HUGE difference in my body now vs. my prepregnancy body (and I'm not talking about my lovely tummy :p). I'm actually in my prepregnancy pants already (yes, the ones I was wearing when I was 17lbs lighter!) and one of the pairs is actually big on me. :dizzy:

I haven't seen the scale drop recently but I've been losing inches so I just really needed the encouragement from this thread at this point in time. I think I AM going to pick up the book....

OhMyDogs
04-01-2011, 03:54 PM
At my gym, I can tack on sessions with a personal trainer and add the cost to my monthly membership price. I think for $15 a month, I can get 20 trainer sessions, and I believe I will call my gym now and get that set up!

When I go to the gym, I do some time on the elliptical, but I thought that since I can do some cardio at home (walking mainly for now, because of my bum knee), I figured I would spend my time at the gym strength training. Now I am even more inspired! THANKS!!

bellastarr
04-01-2011, 06:26 PM
thanks for posting.... very inspiring!!!

kallismom
04-02-2011, 08:43 AM
This thread reminds me of why I need to lift weights. Does anyone have advice for someone with a shoulder injury? Could I put some plates in a backpack and walk?

Eliana
04-02-2011, 09:26 AM
This was a great thread to bump!! Very inspiring!

I can tell you that this month alone I have GAINED two pounds. But have you seen a whiny post from me about it? No, because I have dropped a shirt size. I don't know how that happened. :dizzy: Suddenly these shirts in my closet I have been avoiding FIT! I picked up a bunch of size small shirts at the thrift store for summer just sort of praying they'll fit in 10 pounds. They fit now! All of them! I couldn't believe it.

I recently changed up my lifting routine and though the scale isn't reflecting anything, my body is responding quite nicely. :D Now if only those dag-gone abs would make an appearance. ;)

PaulaM
04-02-2011, 11:49 AM
I've been using weight machines for the last year and a half and the difference is so noticeable. The thing I'm most proud of is my arms! They are a completely different shape, much less "batwing" under the arms too. When you have muscles you burn more calories even when you're doing absolutely nothing, that's the best thing. The second best thing is real life is so much easier, even vacuuming. I practically fling myself out of the tub now and the older we get the harder that gets, trust me.

fatferretfanatic
04-02-2011, 12:36 PM
I also do heavy weights. I do press sets with a 32 pound kettlebell and also swings, which is weight training and cardio. Wewt! And seriously, I love being strong. I can dead lift 80 pounds. I don't know any women personally that can do that, and I'm very out of shape (getting back in shape though!)

mj5
04-03-2011, 08:09 PM
I LOVE lifting weights! I just started a new circuit/free weight routine last week. The guys at my gym are FINALLY getting used to me "invading their space" in the free weight room. Actually, some of them have been really nice and helpful.

Well, Friday, I actually went in the morning since I was off from work. There were two other women in there and one guy. He actually said to us that we should be doing something more "lady like, like water aerobics, like his wife". Now, I have nothing against water aerobics, but I was there to lift weights! We just ignored him and he went away..........

FitGirlyGirl
04-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Feb. 3 - March 3 I lost 2.4 pounds and 3.25 inches! March 3- April 3 I lost 4.8 pounds and 2.125 inches. I wear smaller clothes than many women who are my height and weight. I do low weight high rep 3 times/week and high weight low rep 1-2 times/week.

runningfromfat
04-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Well, Friday, I actually went in the morning since I was off from work. There were two other women in there and one guy. He actually said to us that we should be doing something more "lady like, like water aerobics, like his wife". Now, I have nothing against water aerobics, but I was there to lift weights! We just ignored him and he went away..........

Yuck! I can't believe he actually said that to you! :club:

Essa415
04-04-2011, 09:39 AM
This thread is so inspiring! I started doing body pump 3-4 times a week at 5:30 am a week or two ago, At first I was discuraged by gaining after all my hard work but then I realized I felt so much better and even after just 5 classes I feel less soft and swishy! I can't wait to see my results after doing it for an extended amount of time. I am thinking of breaking up with my scale in the time being, I'd rather have an amazing figure and weigh 30 lbs more than starve myself to a less toned figure.

After all its all about looking good in your clothes (and naked) right?!!

mj5
04-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Yuck! I can't believe he actually said that to you! :club:

I think he was just upset because our weights were heavier than his ;)

kateleestar
04-04-2011, 10:27 AM
The second best thing is real life is so much easier, even vacuuming. I practically fling myself out of the tub now and the older we get the harder that gets, trust me.

:rofl:

On a side note, I need to start lifting... Hhm.

Eliana
04-04-2011, 10:29 AM
:rofl:

On a side note, I need to start lifting... Hhm.

Oh, definitely! LOL! Just carrying in the groceries is easier, or taking out the trash or opening a jar! Or in my case...climbing out of a cave! :D

Interestingly, I decided last week that I wasn't working my legs hard enough, so I decided that today I'd start adding basic squats after my heavy squat with a barbell. So I did the barbell today, set it down and immediately went into a regular squat. Wow, was it easy. Apparently I HAVE been working the legs hard enough, it's just gotten way easier! I ran right over and grabbed 70 pounds worth of dumb bells to complete my set.

kateleestar
04-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Haha, I imagined literally being flung out of a tub, and it made me LOL at work, hahaha.

And I enjoy the concept of not having bat-wing arms. I don't have kids yet, and were only having one (and adpoting at least one more) but I totally want to be a) hot mom and b) have an easy pregnancy.

Whew.

I would love to fling myself somewhere...