Does it Work? - Wii Fit

View Full Version : Wii Fit

takarixvx
10-17-2009, 06:44 PM
My little brother just got the wii fit for his birthday today and I was wondering if anyone else has it and if it can actually help you lose weight? So far I am loving it and can play it all day if I could haha.

Onederchic
10-17-2009, 06:49 PM
For a few months I used the Wii Fit/Gold Gym's Cardio/My Fitness Coach for my exercise routines :)

takarixvx
10-17-2009, 07:07 PM
How did it work for you did you lose any weight from it?

Onederchic
10-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Yes, it works well. I don't have exact figures but I have kept a constant loss so it was helping :). I just change up my routine every few months so now I am doing Jillian Michaels and TBL DVDs :)

Onederchic
10-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Also, if you do a search here for Wii Fit, I am sure there are several threads where people have talked about their experience with it ;)

takarixvx
10-18-2009, 05:05 AM
Oh awesome I really like it so far so i'm hoping i lose some decent calories from it.

dedicateddog
10-20-2009, 08:29 AM
That's going to be my exercise also! I hope it works :spin: Good luck!

lambchop
10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Wii Fit

Did a search for this, and it told me these words were too short, LOL, and told me to try another search!

ArmyWife02
10-23-2009, 11:31 AM
I just got the new wii fit plus - and it's more of a workout (and more fun) than the original version. I love how we can now challenge ppl - you can do multiple person workouts on some of the new features ;) I think i'll do some of those workouts after i finish my Leslie 5 mile watp.
i didnt burn mega calories using the wii fit - but something's always better than nothing for calorie burn. ;)

2feelbetter
10-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Did a search for this, and it told me these words were too short, LOL, and told me to try another search!

I just tried doing a searh for wii fit also and got the same answer. I thought something was wrong on my end. You know how I found this thread.

I googled wii fit + 3fat chicks and it found the threads. Maybe a moderator can look into that.

ArmyWife02
11-08-2009, 07:26 PM
i love the new wii fit plus. i did it yesterday, all the activities I did were either the trainings or aerobics - and burned 1100 calories in 81 minutes :) I wore my HRM - and the 10 minute advanced boxing was 254 calorie burn :) also did 10 minutes of free running and 10 minutes of hula hooping :)
i burned more calories than i expected, but between that and a 1 mile walk around a track - i burned all the calories I ate yestday and was down 2 lbs this morning :)
it's a great workout for those that are thinking about buying it :D

raebeaR
11-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I just got mine, and I think it's great exercise. I'm sure people who are really in shape will want something more challenging, but for someone just getting back into exercise after a long hiatus, it will kick my butt for quite awhile to come! Wii Fit Plus enables you to personalize your routines and also keeps track of your calorie consumption and time spent on exercise. And it's just fun.

If you do your search term as Wii+Fit, you'll get all the threads here on it.

TIARA
11-22-2009, 09:28 PM
wow this is just the info i wanted... im gonna get me a wii fit 4 xmas hopefully its reasonable on black friday..

vanessa761
12-05-2009, 03:50 PM
DH bought me one and I only used it once. I liked it but I got lazy to be honest. I am motivated now so I will start again. I just need to get myself some workout clothes because I don't have any.

RockyMtnGirl
12-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the advice! I've been thinking about also getting a work out program for our Wii...

LiN
12-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Wii fit is awesome but it doesn't work me as much anymore.

Now I'm doing the 30 Day Challenge on Wii EA Sports Active. I find that it gives you a full body work out and some cardio mixed in between. They have premade work out routines and they vary day by day so you don't get bored. Also, it can be used with or without the wii balance board.

nelie
12-15-2009, 02:35 PM
I bought Biggest Loser Wii and I like it a lot so far. No balance board needed but I use mine.

specialkonadiet
12-29-2009, 02:34 PM
My 8 yr old son uses it and he has lost 5 lbs. He plays maybe 3-4x a week for 30-45 mins. He loves it! He likes that it keeps track of your progress and I like it bc it helps you set a healthy weight loss goal.

Shopaholic1204
01-02-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm really glad I found this. We just rebought the Wii again..and have been looking for the Wii Fit Plus, but it's all sold out :( Hopefully we'll find it soon, because I'm ready to get a move on things!!

Btw..wouldn't it be cool to have a Wii fit/Wii workout games thread? Just so we could talk about how much it is or isnt working.

babygrant
01-08-2010, 03:54 PM
I've been doing the Biggest Loser workouts on the wii and I LOOOOVE it!!! It's great.

miradoblackwarrior
01-08-2010, 04:06 PM
I just got my WiiFit, and I love it! I still haven't gotten through all the games. I also got the Wii sports package (which came with the console), and a couple of the Wii resort packages. In February they're selling a walking disc that you can use without the board, or with the dance mat. Got that on order on Amazon.

Just getting up out of my chair has always been a challenge to me. Now I'm up and doing something 30 - 45 minutes per day, each day. Sometimes I'm too pooped to do anything strenuous, but the balance games are fun, and I have done a couple of the yoga exercises. I also find the sport games enormous fun.

One thing I really like about the Wii Fit, and maybe this is weird, but it "nags" me if I haven't checked in each day!
Susan

fitnessfellow
01-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Hangin out at a friends house this Sat. ended up getting really involved with the Wii Boxing Game. Woke up on Sun. and my whole upper body was really sore. I guess it really does work.

GrEyedRose
01-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I love mine. I have had it for a year and have gone in spurts where I use it a bunch then don't for awhile. When I am using it regularly I can see a difference. The Free Step is the best and you can do it while watching TV!

struggling
01-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I bought the wii fit last year when I was attending weight watchers meetings in my area. I loved it at first but did not really feel or see any results. This Christmas my husband bought me the wii Biggest Loser Challenge. It is awesome. I love it, I use it every night. And in the morning I can feel every muscle that I worked the night before. It has helped me to even lose 5 pounds so far. I would recommend the biggest loser. It is jsut like the tv show. You have weigh in's, challenges, and elimination nights. Hope this helps.

Shopaholic1204
01-12-2010, 09:14 PM
I'll hae to buy The Biggest Loser game now. I feel like I'm not getting a total workout with just the Wii Fit alone. I have Just Dance, and afterwards, I'm always sweaty and sore, lol.

When I bought the Wii Fit, I got Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2009 with it. It was sooooooo HORRIBLE!! I really don't recommend it.

hotstuff
01-12-2010, 10:14 PM
My mom got her wii for christmas, and we went over to use it and play of course! well, we did boxing and baseball and golf with wii sports and then did a few of the games on fit plus. i was sore the next day and lost a pound! i think it was the boxing because i was out of breath and exhilirated! i think it does work for people who aren't ready for the gym or the track or are wanting to get more toned, but i still like a nice long walk and some weight training every now and then.

eviemc
01-17-2010, 03:51 PM
I have had my Wii Fit Plus for 6 days now and i have used it everyday. I am down 10lbs but have also been doing other things (walk away the lbs, bike riding and biggest loser yoga)
Anyway, I do one good activity like the bike riding then I follow it with a balance type exercise. I try to put in at least 30mins a day. Since I have 6 girls living in the house I do not get as much time as I would like but they I can not complain that they are exercising.
So far I love mine!
I have been looking for reviews on the Biggest Loser one and there is one other cardio one, not the EA Sports but something else. I am thinking about those as well.

randomcards
01-17-2010, 10:49 PM
If you are capable of doing even light physical activity, I highly recommend the new EA Sports Active: More Workouts.

I like that the intensity can be varied significantly, and 25 minutes of that I am dripping sweat in my living room. Same cannot be said for Wii Fit

I think Wii Fit is more appropriate for folks who struggle with any physical activity, and is well suited for that purpose. Also the games in Wii Fit are fun and a great improvement over doign nothing watching TV. But the Wii Fit doesn't get my heart rate going (unless i just do running or hula hoop) enough to call it a real workout.

Shopaholic1204
01-18-2010, 04:08 AM
But the Wii Fit doesn't get my heart rate going (unless i just do running or hula hoop) enough to call it a real workout.

I totally agree with you!! Most of what they offer on the Wii Fit doesnt make me sweat at all. The hula hoop and running does make me sweat a little bit though.

I love Just Dance, because it gives me the sweat the games on the wii fit doesnt. I just bought The Biggest Loser and this other game that I'm ashamed to admit what it is. So hopefully those will make me sweat a lot more.

booker81
01-18-2010, 07:25 AM
I've been doing Wii Fit Plus for almost two weeks now, and it's gotten to where it wasn't much of a challenge, other than the run, so I bought EA Active. I'm doing the 30 day Challenge, and so far, Day 1 kicked my behind! I plan on keeping on with the Fit Plus for the balance and yoga games, and weight tracking :)

femmecreole
01-18-2010, 09:28 AM
I got one a few days ago (Wii Fit Plus) and thought since I go to the gym every day before work that I wouldn't really feel it. Wrong! I really feel it all over. I do 50/60 lb arm weights at the gym, but the boxing hit other muscles that the weight didn't hit. My tummy and calf muscles are a bit sore too. I do 135lbs on the leg press at the gym and thought my legs wouln't feel it. I was pleasantly surprised. The reason I got it was that I thought it would be a fun activity to do in the evenings instead of watching TV and when I get home at night, I don't want to get redressed and go back to the gym for classes.

I love the yoga and even though the form is not 100% correct, it's worth doing. Like the Aerobics too. But what I really like is the goofy games. I may not break a sweat with them, but it's a lot better than just sitting like a lump watching tv. Fun family activity too. My (grown) son came over yesterday morning and we had so much fun just looking stupid and laughing.

Wiiki
01-18-2010, 12:26 PM
I just got the Wii Fit Plus last week, and I love it! You would never hear me utter the words "I can't wait to go home and jump on the treadmill," but every day I look forward to going home and jumping on the Wii! I do 30 minutes of aerobic activities (running, hula-hoops, advanced step, bicycling, flying-thingy, etc.), and then 30 minutes of balance (which, actually, I can feel working, too, when doing them repeatedly--the snowboarding one makes my thighs burn if I keep my knees bent and do the activity about 5 times or more). Since I just started, it is working me pretty good, but I am sure I'll need to move on to something else in a few months. I plan on adding weights to some of the activites in a few weeks (i.e., the flying game, advanced step, etc.). This the first time, since, well, FOREVER, that I've actually looked forward to exercising!

randomcards
01-18-2010, 02:18 PM
I just got the Wii Fit Plus last week, and I love it! You would never hear me utter the words "I can't wait to go home and jump on the treadmill," but every day I look forward to going home and jumping on the Wii! I do 30 minutes of aerobic activities (running, hula-hoops, advanced step, bicycling, flying-thingy, etc.), and then 30 minutes of balance (which, actually, I can feel working, too, when doing them repeatedly--the snowboarding one makes my thighs burn if I keep my knees bent and do the activity about 5 times or more). Since I just started, it is working me pretty good, but I am sure I'll need to move on to something else in a few months. I plan on adding weights to some of the activites in a few weeks (i.e., the flying game, advanced step, etc.). This the first time, since, well, FOREVER, that I've actually looked forward to exercising!

haha, the bird flying thing is awesome. Although I'm pretty sure if a video of me doing that ever finds its way to the internet, I'll have to move to Mexico or something.

PeanutsMom704
01-18-2010, 05:23 PM
I've been using the Wii Fit Plus for almost a month now, and while I can see that at some point, I will need more of a challenge, I started off from a point of not having been regularly active for a long time. So for me, it's been a great way to get started. And it's so much fun that I'm sure that even once I move on to other things like EA Active, I'll still enjoy playing with Wii Fit. Definitely beats sitting watching TV!

Wiiki
01-19-2010, 08:57 AM
haha, the bird flying thing is awesome. Although I'm pretty sure if a video of me doing that ever finds its way to the internet, I'll have to move to Mexico or something.

OMG! Isn't that the truth!!!:o A video of me doing that and the hula-hoop thing and I'll have to get a new identity and move to Mexico along with you!! :D

kuchick
01-19-2010, 12:17 PM
I've been doing the Wii Fit Plus for a month, and am slowly losing weight - 7 lbs so far. I like that there are routines now so I can run a bunch of them together and feel like I'm getting a continuous workout going. Plus, that way when the board tells me to do an activity that I normally wouldn't pick, I do it. With the Wii Fit, I would skip doing strength training stuff because I thought they were boring.

Oh, and ditto on joining witness protection if I ever show up on the internet while doing Wii Fit.

Quote from my 6-year-old son while I was killing myself doing jackknifes - "Those look like the body folds we do at PE, but we lift our shoulders off the floor, too":p

Let's see if he can still do a jackknife after 3 C-sections! Obviously, that should never happen without some extreme medical advances.

kuchick
01-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Oh, also - can anyone tell me if the EA Sports Active has options to do just low-impact routines? I have an old injury in my foot that has been keeping me from being able to do a lot of jumping, and the Biggest Loser workout keeps telling me to do jumping jacks - that's not gonna happen....

randomcards
01-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Oh, also - can anyone tell me if the EA Sports Active has options to do just low-impact routines? I have an old injury in my foot that has been keeping me from being able to do a lot of jumping, and the Biggest Loser workout keeps telling me to do jumping jacks - that's not gonna happen....

Yes, you would just build your own routines (which is really easy). When you build a routine you just add in the individual exercises you want and you would avoid any that don't do well with your injury. Takes longer than using a pre-set routine obv but they can be saved so it's a one time thing.

You probably couldn't do the six week challenge though as that's basically 24 pre-set mixtures of the activities and some of which always involve jumping.

kuchick
01-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Thank you so much Randomcards! I can see that I'll need to add in something else soon to shake it up a bit. Nice to know that I can move on to EA Sports without agravating my foot. I can do light jogging & balance on that foot, but jumping just kills it.

randomcards
01-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Thank you so much Randomcards! I can see that I'll need to add in something else soon to shake it up a bit. Nice to know that I can move on to EA Sports without agravating my foot. I can do light jogging & balance on that foot, but jumping just kills it.

Great, forgot to mention that I only have the newer one "More Workouts" so what I said might not apply to the original, but I think they are pretty similar.

eviemc
01-19-2010, 04:27 PM
The EA Sports sounds great. We love our Wii Fit and it is so good to see the kids up and playing something like that. Since I have 5 teens in the house they do not "go outside and play" so it is important to find things like this.
My next purchase will be the EA Sports. I hate going to the gym (just the leaving the house since I homeschool) I usually get up and do a workout video or use my bike. The EA Sports sounds like something to get a real workout.

trishn222
01-19-2010, 08:01 PM
You can customize on the original EA active also. Also I discovered on the 30 day challenge you can take some of the things out, you just have to click on them. So if you can't do jumping squats you just have to unclick it, and then you don't have to do it during the routine.

kuchick
01-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Woo hoo! I'd love to do the challenges if I can just skip the ones I can't do. Honestly, some days I'm up for anything (pain is low enough to ignore) other days I can't jump and can barely drag myself through a workout. We're ordering an elliptical tonight to add something that one of us can do while the other does Wii Fit or EA Active. DH is doing the workouts too. It's great for support, but he realizes that I will smack him soundly ;) if his weight drops below mine.

helwa588
01-20-2010, 01:21 AM
wii fit is perfect for people who just starting out with exercise and for light exercise days. but wii fit shouldn't be used as your main exercise routine. i love wii fit because it's fun and i get to burn some calories. but i don't use it only. i do wii fit along with my denise austin and tbl dvds.

if you want a wii game that breaks a sweat, i suggest getting gold's gym cardio workout and my fitness coach. ea active is good but personally i don't like it much. i find it boring.

reesespieces14
01-24-2010, 04:11 PM
I love the wii fit! I just bought the wii fit plus! I dont feel like im doing exercise when playing! It helps keep you motivated since it keeps track of you progress and weighs you everytime you go to use.

shannono
01-24-2010, 04:31 PM
i like my Wii Fit but it seems slow-- i have to wait to load the next activity.. Is the Wii Fit Plus any faster at transitions?
OH-- I cannot make it to the end of the balance game that you ride up the river.

randomcards
01-24-2010, 10:52 PM
i like my Wii Fit but it seems slow-- i have to wait to load the next activity.. Is the Wii Fit Plus any faster at transitions?
OH-- I cannot make it to the end of the balance game that you ride up the river.

I only have Wii Fit Plus so can't compare, but I hate how long it takes to move through stuff to get from one activity to the next. If you build a routine it is a little faster, but you can only build routines with strenght and yoga and not all the fun stuff which is dumb.

It feels like I am "doing something" less than half of the minutes I'm in it which is frustrating.

IrishMomma2008
01-25-2010, 08:40 AM
I have EA Active for Wii, and I love it!! Wii Fit itself isn't that great for an overall workout, but it's good to introduce you to how you should move with the system and what other workouts are like. EA Active has awesome variety. I am halfway through the 30 day challenge and I have really enjoyed it so far. I can actually see definition in my arms. I recommend getting a resistance band on your own, since the one that comes with the program is pretty flimsy. I also created my own workout that is totally centered around boxing. I have so much fun with it!
I just ordered Gold's Gym as well, because I heard that it is very boxing-heavy, and I love boxing on the Wii. Cannot wait til it gets here!

Wiiki
01-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Is EA Active more like video workouts, or are there games you play? For me, the big advantage to exercising with the Wii is that you are playing fun games. I really, REALLY hate exercising to videos and such (crunches, leg lifts, etc., blech:barf:), so I know that isn't something I'd stick to. I'm having so much fun with the games on the Wii Fit Plus, though, and I've added handweights to some of the games, which is giving my arms a bit of a workout, too.

fiveminutes
01-25-2010, 02:40 PM
i have the wii fit plus, the biggest loser and also wii active. i love the wii active. i liked the biggest loser game, but i had such a hard time doing push ups, my hands would slip on the board. i have bad knees from playing softball for years, and sometimes my knees hurt, so things like jumping squats, and even the lunges and squats hurt my knees, so i just modify the routine to not put so much pressure on my knees. i have also add little 3lb hand weights to most of the exercises and got rid of the band. it's horrible, absolutely no resistance. i'm going to move up to 7.5 lb weights so i can tone up my arms much better. i'm on day 8 of the 30 day challenge, and on my rest days, i put together all of the sports exercises and do those. when i finish the 30 day challenge, i'm going to rotate to the biggest loser and see if i can keep at it, hoping my arms will be a bit stronger so i can actually do the push ups!

lovinmyboyz
01-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I have been doing Wii Fit Plus for one month now and have lost 3.3 lbs. However, I do think that I could have lost more had I changed my eating habits sooner. I love the workouts and the games don't make it seem like such a "workout". My 10 year old son and I often compete on the games to see who can get the high score to keep each other challenged.

I too am looking into buying another workout game for my Wii, unfortunately I'm torn on which one to buy. I've heard good things about both The Biggest Loser and the EA Sports Active More Workouts. I'm not sure which one I should splurge on. Can someone tell me if either of these workouts have the games like the Wii Fit Plus has? Also how much do they each use the balance board?

Any info would be great! Thanks a bunch!!

rachael
01-25-2010, 04:36 PM
The biggest loser has challenges, but not games like Wii Fit. You can use it with or without the board.

jenne1017
01-26-2010, 09:11 AM
I have EA Sports and Wii Fit (getting the expansion actually) and I can say that combined with my diet plan (South beach) I was able to lose about 25 pounds last year. I started Wii'ing again last night to get me back on the wagon.

There are all types of exercises (games, yoga, band exercises) depending on the game you get so I would have to say yes, it helps you lose weight if you use it and eat sensibly. It's a form of exercise (I sweat A LOT) and beats my sitting on the couch!