Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236.4/236.4/140

Height: 5'4

Question Weekend Libations

I am just starting my weight loss journey (or re-starting). I am planning on exercising and eating healthier. Ever since college, I have gotten into the routine of drinking alcohol (mainly beer) every weekend. My husband and I usually get together with friends and let the drinks flow. I feel that this activity could sabotage my diet plans. Any suggestions? We are planning to go to a friend’s house tomorrow for a football and hockey game which will have tons of BBQ type foods and beer. I would like to refrain from drinking, however, I do enjoy the effects of the alcohol and I don’t want to seem like a snob by turning down drinks.
double0bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

What if you were taking medication that didn't allow you to drink alcohol, what if you were a recovering alcoholic, what if your religion forbade alcohol, would that make you a snob?

It is your own business what you eat and what you drink. Period.

I am so firm about this because the whole "trying to please others" being friendly, social, not hurting feelings, going along with the crowd can be a weight loss obstacle. Especially for women, since we are brought up to "be nice."

I would advise not drinking any beer. Those are completely empty calories and the more you drink, the tougher it will be to stay rational about stopping.

Bring your own healthy foods to throw on the grill and your own beverages. Stay firm.

There is a joke on the boards, what do you call a dieter who eats whatever they want on the weekends? A maintainer. It is easy to sabotage a week's hard work with an out of control weekend. Don't take two steps forward and one step back (or two steps back). Make every day count.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

If you wish to imbibe, do not drink beer.

I may have a glass of wine every few weeks (or months!) with dinner. I also went out last weekend and really tied one on.

But, I did 45 minutes of cardio on Saturday (which I never do on Saturday), drank vodka with soda water (instead of 7-Up), and dragged my sorry *** up early in the morning to take a step class at the gym on Sunday. All in all, not too bad.

But you do have plan ahead for these things. Drinking beer every weekend is going to negate all your good food choices during the week. Plus, you'll probably eat junky foods when you're tipsy or drunk.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

double0bunny, it's going to be about choices. Liquor and beer are empty calories that don't give you anything at all, nutritionally. It will also lower your resistance to the kinds of foods that don't help weight loss. I love a glass of good wine, I treasure a premium beer, and it's going into single malt Scotch season, but have learned that what I want to accomplish is incompatible with the drinking. As a calorie counter, I can accomodate a rare drink here and there ... but my days of tossing back 6 beers while the BBQ is going are over. Learning how to savor things slowly, both the food and the drink, is possible (I'm a novice). Until you decide that you want to be smaller and healthier more than you want the partyin' atmosphere, I'd give your chances for succeeding at both a very low probability. Good luck!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 236.4/236.4/140

Height: 5'4

Thanks everyone for your input. I actually ended up taking rachinma's advice and made myself some vodka with club soda. Since it wasnt very tasty, I didnt end up drinking very much and I was still able to feel like I wasn't the odd man out. Plus after a couple of hours I switched to plain water and no one knew I wasnt drinking alcohol.
double0bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #6  

There is conflicting research about whether alcohol has an effect on weight. I don't know what to think, so I just plan alcohol into my daily calories and use diet mixers when I do drink. I don't drink very often, so it doesn't take a lot.

You always have the right to refuse alcohol too. Always.
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #7  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

A single beer isn't going to negate a week's worth of work. It depends on what type of diet you're on, what type of beer you drink and how [and how quickly] you respond to alcohol. When I drink, I lose my appetite, but I know people who get the munchies after knocking back a few.

As stupid as it sounds, if you and your husband had a tradition of sitting on the porch and eating a small bowl of ice cream every Saturday, would you give it up? Or, would you switch to low-calorie frozen yogurt? While food [and drink] isn't "important," sociologically they are key players in social interactions.

So, I guess what I'm saying, is you have to decide if you can enjoy yourself without having a beer or two. If you can, skip it. If you can't, switch to a variety that you can fit into your plan.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #8  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

bunny, great job with resisting an old habit! Proof positive that it can be done - because you DID IT. Rock on, sister!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #9  
on a journey

i drink diet coke, does that make me a snob? No, everyone there knows my story already.

Have a drink or a beer, if you can stick with just one. Enjoy your nights out.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote