Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 324/324/250

Height: 5'6

Default The 4-Day-Win?

Not sure where this goes...guess I'll put it here:

Has anyone read/used a book called The 4-Day-Win by Martha Beck PhD? I found it while looking for books on how to change your thinking about food and I found this. I got it through my library and am about 13 chaps in...very interesting.

Anyone heard of it?
coyotefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:54 AM   #2  
mjn

Im reading that at the moment as well. So far I really like it. Its rare that "diet books" really talk about the psychological side of weight loss. And if you as me its the most important! What good is it in losing the weight if you havent dealt with the issues that made you put it on in the first place.

Do you feel it is helping you stay motivated?

Mel
mjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I just got this book from amazon and am working my way through it. Anyone else have any experience following her thought changing steps? I'd be curious to hear...
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I read it a year and a half or so ago. It was not the start of my current weight loss journey, but I do think that it informed my current journey. I can't out and out recommend it because I was doing it with a number of other people and none of us really made it through or had the kind of results with it that seemed promised. But, I do think all of us agreed that it was helpful in some way.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #5  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I have been poking through it. I read a bit, meditate on it for a few days, read a bit more. I really like that she looks at the mental/emotional aspect of weight loss. I like her excersices, too. I like the portion on how it's not about having will power but rather about taking the time to contect your mind and body rather than using your mind to deny your body. (not sure that I worded that very well)

Last edited by SCraver; 07-08-2010 at 08:43 AM.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #6  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I consider this book my main "Go-to" book for lifestyle change. It is the reason I haven't fallen off the wagon this time 'round, like SOOOO many times before. Granted, I read it first a year or so ago, and I stopped that effort. But I think I just needed time to internalize some of what she was saying. Now, coming back to it (and four months in), I'm finding the exercises much easier and helpful, and I'm just not as tempted to fail as I was before. I love how she makes each step clear, and easy. She's given me a LOT of tools in my weight-loss toolbox, for whatever plan I am on.

Last edited by synger; 07-08-2010 at 01:32 PM.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the interesting comments, all!

I'm not at all thinking that any person, plan or book can provide a magic bullet - just different tools for our toolkit and was glad to hear that this approach has become a helpful tool for some.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote