Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Losing the weight and gaining it back

Hi all,

I haven't posted in a while, but I feel disgusted. I actually got down to 153 and now I'm right back where I started 177, ugh, ugh, And last week I was 180, oh my goodness. I'm gaining!!!!! But I did manage to lose three pounds.
My clothes are tight and I really want to buy new clothes, but not at bigger sizes!!!! I have bags of smaller size clothes and I refuse to throw them away, what if I am successful? I have gained thirty pounds over a few years! My doctor says I have to lose because I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure, and I have not gone to the doctor because I have not made any progress.

I have been mountain biking, a very strenuous, tough exercise, where sometimes you even get injured, and I have been cross country running, and hiking and walking. So I have been exercising. Its the food part. I just am terrible at logging the calories, and controlling my cravings, I believe I do some emotional eating and I am being treated for depression and seeing a therapist, Any advice on just getting myself motivated? I try to think of how I lost weight before but I just am having a tough time of it, I try to not buy junk and stay out of restaurants. Yeah, I have to change the ticker, ugh, any advice appreciated. My husband is in terrific shape and it saddens me, because I can't do it.
rosemarie0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

You've done it before and you can do it again. This isn't easy, as we all know. I would think maybe try and figure out just why you gained it all back, and that might be the key to keeping it off and moving the scale downward. Hang in there! I do know that exercising and eating better does lift my mood and help me to feel a lot better about everything I face day to day in my life. Wishing you the best of luck!
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #3  

thanks Kellost, I was really in the need for support. Its just looking in the mirror that kills me, and seeing how much smaller my clothes were. I even have a black cocktail dress that I'm keeping, hoping one day....I think I'm going back to exercise t.v. too, those are decent workouts, they have everything form short ab workouts, to yoga, to intense workouts with weights,

Oh I even joined this mountain biking group, and got this expensive bike. Those bikers are sooooo fit. I actually can do jumps and everything, but I feel awkward with them because I have weight on me, Maybe I should go back to weight watchers?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Sweetie, what more motivation can you possibly need then that of gaining your health? High blood pressure leads to some very scary things. High cholesterol is also nothing to scoff at. These are pretty serious conditions. BOTH of which can be reversed. Don't wait for disaster to strike. We often don't value our health, until it's gone...

That can certainly be a starting point. That and how miserable you are about your clothing situation. Sounds like you've got more then enough reasons/motivation to shed the pounds.

But the thing is, motivation is usually not enough. It never seems to be around when the fried foods and the goodies are. I think you may be lacking - commitment. THAT'S what's needed. You need to COMMIT to do this. Once and for all. No matter what. Period. Once you've made that ironclad commitment, once you clearly define what you want, well then your choices should become easier. That's when you easily pass up on the cake in favor of the sliced apple with cinnamon. That's when it seems clear to you to pass up on the fried chicken in favor of the baked fish. That's when you no longer mind saying no to the fetticine alfredo and yes to the roasted veggies. That's when you track your calories instead of just guessing. That's when you faithfully monitor your food instead of "just watching yourself". That's when you control those cravings, because they ARE controllable.

Once you commit to doing this, no matter what, that's when you do whatever it takes, whatever is necessary, whatever is required to get the job done. Make your health a number one priority. Make it your mission. Make it your passion.

And of course you can do this. Losing weight IS a doable thing. For any one and everyone - yourself included. It's not some crazy hare brained out of this world scheme. KNOW that you CAN do it. Stop telling yourself that you can't. That's nonsense. Start telling yourself that you can. Because you can. You really, really can. And you should. I mean, why wouldn't you?

COMMIT to doing this. Then set yourself up for success. Make a plan. Set up your household and get cracking. Get excited. Get into it. Get moving. Get determined. Get fired up. Get, get, get... and transform you life.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #5  

I don't have much to add to the wonderful responses you've already received. I just wanted to highlight the part of your post where you mentioned you are getting treatment for depression.

Please, please, please make sure that neither you nor your therapist are underestimating your depression symptoms. Yes, weightloss requires a commitment and action on your part, but depression can suck the energy to do either of those things quick! It's like trying to walk a mile with a 50lb ball chained to your leg. Be sure that your treatment program is FULLY addressing your symptoms. It's the best thing you can do for your health....the weightloss will just be icing on the cake! (bad food pun, I know )
jamiewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 AM   #6  

Thanks for the motivation. I have noticed the depression tends to make me over eat or not eat, the not eating will get me super hungry. Gaining is very depressing in itself. I know the over eating makes it worse, so yes I am going to try and make health #1 and focus on me. I also tend to focus on others way too much.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Please don't beat yourself up about where you are. There are so many other people who have been in the same position. My starting stats are very similar to yours, and just check out my user name!

It sounds like you have the exercise part of the equation under control (that is the tougher part for me, usually!). And you have taken action on your emotional state (though as Jamie suggests, that's something to make sure you take care of completely). I would also suggest you make sure that you get the right amount of sleep. Too little or too much is associated with weight gain. Personally, I have trouble getting enough sleep, even though I know how beneficial it is for weight loss, mental focus, and health in general.

On the food front, I want to second the motion that you log your food. Just eating healthy or eyeballing your portions really isn't enough for most people. Logging your diet is highly correlated with actual weight loss.

I wish you the best of luck!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

There are 2 components - losing weight and then keeping the weight off. You have proven you can lose weight. Now, you need to carefully analyze why you gained the weight back. Was your program too strict, did you get too busy, something switched you from losing weight to gaining weight.

Since you already know how to lose weight, spend more mental energy on the second half of the problem. Imagine losing weight and keeping the weight off for the rest of your life - what changes will you have to make, forever, to accomplish this?

Don't forget, your plan is not set in stone. Sometimes, things get tough and people just give up. You can change your plan! You can tweak and alter to make it the best plan for you.

Try not to get hung up on the idea of being motivated - motivation can only carry you along so far. You need to just DO. Just like you pay your bills, brush your teeth, clean the cat box.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Oh - I forgot to address cravings.

Everyone is different, but I was amazed how quickly I lost my cravings when I stopped eating empty white carby foods like cookies, crackers, cold cereal, chips, pretzels, etc.

Poof, just gone. It was like someone opened my prison door.

I know it's a radical step, a lot of people are fans of moderation. In previous diet attempts I would try to "cut back" on these foods, but eating just cookie makes me want to eat another. If I close up the package, I obsess about the cookies until I go eat some more. I am not the "cut back" on cookies type.

But, when I don't eat the first cookie, they are barely a blip on my radar. If you had told me 5 years ago I would severely limit/eliminate my "favorite" foods, I would have told you that was crazy and no way to live.

I am so much happier living as a size 6 130 lb woman and I don't miss those foods! And I really don't miss the crazy, out of control, munch munch cravings that used to torment me.

I thought I had a problem with food, turns out I just had a problem with some foods.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

You may also want to consider seeing an endocrinologist or a naturopath. I know it sounds weird, but I went to see a naturopath for my sleep issues and also because it seemed I was gaining way faster than I should be even with my similar lack of eating motivation. (see ticker - that is all regain)

My adrenals were all out of whack and I got put on some vitamins and about 2 weeks later I woke up one morning and it was no longer a struggle to eat clean. The binge and carb urges are gone. I can be at a party with yummy foods and have no interest in them. My hunger has decreased dramatically. Suddenly counting calories is not "more trouble than it is worth" (I didnt think I was depressed, but now I think maybe I was)

I still may have to do more because my thyroids were off too but they are all interconnected so we are fixing one at a time.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

As you mention, food choices are so very important regardless of how hard you are working out.

My thoughts lie with Glory's. I do much better with cravings when I don't indulge. I have also found LOTS and LOTS of wonderful replacements that are acceptable to me. When I am sticking to healthful, life giving foods, I am able to stay focused without much difficulty at all. When my body is satiated with healthy fats and proteins, lots of whole foods, I can walk through the bakery and enjoy the smells and sights and keep going without another thought.

You CAN do this. You have already proven that. Come here and come often. Get your food environment cleaned up and set yourself to success. It is there for the taking!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:13 PM   #12  

I would post what you have eaten on the boards or any other networking site for everyone to see. This is a good way to keep you honest. If you don't eat right all the exercise will be a waste. People get irritated with logging results but studies show that when you log you eat better.
cwalker3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I have to jump back in and second Glory's suggestion that you look into the types of food you are eating, to see if that might be causing the cravings. I have cut white flour/sugar out of my normal diet and I find I need to limit even natural starchy foods (oatmeal, lentils, squash, etc). Last weekend I had an unexpected run-in with some white flour/sugar/butter in the form of baked apple pancakes and it took days for me to get POP.

Lots of other posters have also had an easier time with cravings if they keep processed carbs at more than arm's length.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #14  

Height: 5'11"

Also--if you are being treated for depression, be aware that some anti-depressants can contribute to weight gain or difficulty in losing weight. So that's something to consider as well. I would NOT recommend that you stop or cut back on any anti-depressants, but there may be other medications (if you are taking them) that may not have that same side effect.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #15  

[QUOTE=yoyoma;2973038]
It I would also suggest you make sure that you get the right amount of sleep. Too little or too much is associated with weight gain.

On the food front, I want to second the motion that you log your food.

Thanks yoyomama I do have sleep issues and I take ambien. I am registered at my daily plate but I have to use it

[QUOTE=Glory87;2973092]
Everyone is different, but I was amazed how quickly I lost my cravings when I stopped eating empty white carby foods like cookies, crackers, cold cereal, chips, pretzels, etc.

I agree Glory. There are foods that really should be avoided. I do tend to eat too much carb and sometimes sugar. I do try to stick with whole grain organic bread. I have tried atkins but it was too restrictive, but I did find it helpful to cut the carbs. Also I over do the alcohol, which I guess is a carb, but someone told me it can mess with your metabolism, alcohol and sugar cravings are very similar, last time I lost weight I didn't drink, so I know another commitment issue, which I seem to have trouble with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
Also--if you are being treated for depression, be aware that some anti-depressants can contribute to weight gain or difficulty in losing weight.
I have been taking wellbutrin for depression and ativan for anxiety. Wellbutrin initially helped me lose, but it tends to increase my anxiety, which is why I take the ativan when I take the wellbutrin. My symptoms unfortunately come right back and they are worse when I stop taking these meds. I really don't like the meds. I have had depression on and off for years, but I recently developed a bad spell of it, you know it can literally flatten you, and make it hard to function.

Thanks for all the other advice. What is the percentage of people who lose and regain? I always thought it was pretty high. This time around it seemed I regained with a few extra I even clean houses, (one even 6000 square feet),just goes to show how important the diet is.