100 lb. Club - What do you do about clothes on the way down?

findingfawn
10-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Ok, first of all, money is a big issue for my family, we live on a very tight budget which thanks to the economy hubby's been having lots of short weeks at work making it tighter for us. I'm a stay at home mom of 4 kids, and honestly fashion isn't important to me, but not wearing a tent out in public is. Buying new clothes every few weeks is not an option for me and I rarely luck out at the thrift store (hopefully as I go down that changes, but for now it's pretty much useless).

So what do you do about clothing as you are going down? If I was at a size I knew I was going to stay at I would be able to budget a pair or 2 of jeans and a hand full of tops, but I don't plan on sticking in anyone size long enough to make it ok for our budget. Right now I'm heading from the 2 pair of 24s I have into hubby's now "outshrunk?" 40s... I'm not keen on wearing mens pants but they are what I have and will have to make do with them... and he is "outshrinking" his 36s now so I guess maybe I will get those too... but still they are mens pants.

cinderpa
10-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Have you considered a goodwill or salvation army shop? They get donations from retail stores and sometimes you can find new items with the tags still attached. I am fortunate that money is not an issue (not that we are rich) but I am not ashamed to say I have bought second hand but in great condition clothing from places like these. It just seems such a waste to buy all new clothing that may not fit in a few months time.

rakel
10-15-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm curious about this too... to be honest it has been one of my biggest concerns, but I know I can't let something like that deter me from losing weight. I have set aside some old clothing, mostly pants, that I can switch into as I lose weight. I think it will be easier to find stuff in thrift stores as you lose weight too, but even so, if you catch Sears and other department stores between seasons you can find some really good deals. I also think that I'll be able to wear some of my clothes for a long time because I didn't always buy a bunch of new clothes as I gained weight, my clothes just got tighter and looked terrible on me... it's kind of motivation on it's own :P. I'm at that point right now... and I'm looking forward to my clothes fitting better for sure, or even being loose... I try not to worry about it.

nooch
10-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I don't worry about the shirt aspect of it as shirts can last a whole lot longer.

So far I've bought three new pairs of jeans - 22s that I found on sale for $20 at torrid and 2 pairs of 20s that I found at the gap outlet for $16 each.

Never had much luck at thrift stores either :( My size never seems to show up.

findingfawn
10-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I live in a tiny little town in the middle of PA, we have 1 tiny Salvation Army store which NEVER ever pans out. Once in a great while we are able to swing the gas money to drive to a city.. usually Wilkes Barre because we know of 4 thrift stores up there... but even there I have a hard time finding clothes. Our last trip resulted in one of my 2 pairs of fitting pants, but even they are way too long because they are average length and usually petites are long on my short legs.

cfmama
10-15-2009, 02:20 PM
I know you are not asking for this... but if you think it will be warm enough to wear capri's for a while I have a pair of 22's and a pair of 20's that are super cute ;)

I tend to buy clothes on the way down. A pair of jeans every size and a few tops. So currently I have a pair of size 18 AND a pair of size 16 that both fit... but that is literally the only pants that I have other than a pair of workout sweats and a pair of yoga pants!

luvmy3
10-15-2009, 02:24 PM
What about checking Craigslist or even Ebay?I try to browse through those 2 sites in search of something cheap to get me through.I also have the problem right now of money being an issue.My 24's are getting a little big but for now they will have to do.Too bad their is not a clothing exchange for plus size women.Even a website where people post there too big clothing.I am willing to give my too big clothing to someone as soon as I get somethat fit in exchange for shipping.

findingfawn
10-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Rakel, I definately won't let clothing deter me.. and like you, I never bought a lot as I went up... who knows what the heck I wore as I went up! Well I guess lots of times I was in maternity pants, but in between babies I have no clue what the heck I wore! I know I have gotten rid of some things, I needed space and seeing smaller clothes was just more than I could bare a lot of the time.

Nooch.. gosh even $16 bucks for pants about makes me faint... I think the last jeans I bought new were like $8 at Walmart. I felt like a million bucks in the maternity jeans my MIL bought me for my last pregnancy.. they were $40 a pair... I don't think I have ever ever ever owned a pair of pants that cost that much.

findingfawn
10-15-2009, 02:33 PM
What about checking Craigslist or even Ebay?I try to browse through those 2 sites in search of something cheap to get me through.I also have the problem right now of money being an issue.My 24's are getting a little big but for now they will have to do.Too bad their is not a clothing exchange for plus size women.Even a website where people post there too big clothing.I am willing to give my too big clothing to someone as soon as I get somethat fit in exchange for shipping.

I was just thinking a few minutes ago that a "clothing chest" type thing would be awesome... wish there was one.

Ryanne
10-15-2009, 02:36 PM
I go to the Goodwill or Salvation army and I head for the sweats! I have gotten a lot of cute sweat pants, and I look for ones with drawstrings, so I can tighten them up when I need to.
They are cute, and I love a sporty look! I have gotten lots of name brand sweat pants this way. I bought a jacket there, just for going walking, it's black, so it matches anything...it is a waterproof windbreaker. Then I went to Walmart and got 3 pairs of gloves for a dollar, and I just switch out colors of gloves to match whatever sweat pants I am wearing. I layer clothes if it is cold, usually putting on a long sleeve tshirt, then a hoodie, then the black jacket, if I start to get too warm, I can take them off in layers and just carry them.
I love sweats...Jeans are cool, but it seems I am always between sizes so will wait to buy jeans until I either have more money or get to goal.
Hope this helps...Oh BTW...Shirts don't matter, you can buy em a lil loose and can wear them big! Or buy em tight and you will have lots more room to wait to buy anymore.
Hope this helps!:)

beerab
10-15-2009, 02:42 PM
I went to Walmart last week and they were selling jeans for $9. I bought a pair of 14's but the sizes went up pretty high if I remember correctly.

I just went to craiglist and typed "clothes 22" and in my area a LOT came up. Not sure where you are from but one person was selling a whole lot of clothes from size 18 to 24- 27 pieces for $50! That's less than $2 an item!

Another person was selling all their old clothes size 20/22 for $1 a piece!

Where are you from I can search for you if you'd like.

findingfawn
10-15-2009, 02:54 PM
I was just poking on craigslist... the only one that is near me is Williamsport PA, not finding much, and though for certain things I just HAD to have, I don't like to ask people to ship. (I have though for some things I needed for school for my son this year and couldn't find them anywhere else)

beerab
10-15-2009, 03:16 PM
hey how about this one?

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/clo/1413975592.html

60 items for $100

Or these:

http://elmira.craigslist.org/clo/1413794211.html

or this one:

http://pennstate.craigslist.org/clo/1402538551.html

good luck! maybe even try ebay?

lottie63
10-15-2009, 03:18 PM
I posted about shopping at burlington this week. I got some tops for 5.99 and the most expensive thing I bought was a 20$ pair of jeans, they had cheaper ones too, I just really liked these. You might try there if you have one?

Also, I bought some tops that were a smidge small, just a SMIDGE, they fit, but they JUST fit, so I figure they will last longer than buying something a little larger.

MoveMoveMove
10-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Search for freecycle on the net and see if there is a group in your area.

I saw this mentioned on another thread on this site but had forgotten about it until I read your post.

Good luck.

JackiG
10-15-2009, 03:57 PM
I agree with checking with Ebay, Craigslist and Freecycle. Of course, there may not be something now, but keep checking. People post new things all of the time. Wearing your husbands pants is not bad, I use to do the same. Right now I will wear his pj pants, sweats and track pants. If you are home, it is no big deal. It will not last forever, you have a goal in mind, and you will achieve it soon!

I understand your frustration, I started my healthier lifestyle 3 weeks ago, and don't want to spend too much money on clothes for my next size. Especially since I do not plan to be that size for long. How about purchasing sweat pants? That is something you can wear for a while. Right now I own 2 pair of jeans, and 3 nice shirts for days I go out, out (which is not often). Otherwise I will wear track/sweat pants. You mentioned finding pants that are too long. You can always cut and hem them with non sew tape (use the iron to infuse it). It holds very well. Nothing will take that hem apart. LOL

Tibouchina
10-15-2009, 04:28 PM
I love the thrift store and Freecycle. I've gotten lots of garbage bags full of clothes from Freecycle. Even if it doesn't all work for me, I can usually find something.

And one of my thrift stores is extra cool. They have 99 cent Mondays where any item with a certain color tag are just 99 cents, no matter how big. The other days they do half off a certain color. Last time I went I got a couple of size 18 (yay) jeans.

Do you have a TJ Maxx, Ross or Marshalls? Those can be pretty cheap sometimes.

bargoo
10-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I often see the offer of clothes in freecycle, I bought my clothes at Salvation Arny, Goodwill, Savers and consignment shops. I have often been able to find new clothes at these stores. And Cheap. You have to check often as the stock goes fast. i have received compliments on the designer jeans from Nordstrom's. for $150.00 I got them at Goodwill for about $4.00 .

Lori Bell
10-15-2009, 06:06 PM
On the way down I shopped at a consignment shop frequently. I also checked Wal-mart about every time I went in. Every once in a while they have just a basic capri or slacks on sale dirt cheap. $3 a piece. When I would find deals like that I would buy like 4 pair, (tan & Black) 2 in my current size and then 2 in the next size smaller. 4 pair of slacks for $12 was an awesome deal. I'm a tight wad by nature, so I knew if I bought those smaller sizes, I HAD to eventually wear them. :) Shirts can go awhile longer, but they also have some pretty good deals on blouses and t's. I'd just dress them up with jewelry and a scarf or something. I refuse to ever own a pair of sweat pants again... I do wear some of my 17 year old sons jeans he out grew in Jr. High...lol I'd been saving them for son #2, but decided to claim them for myself.

cfmama
10-15-2009, 06:07 PM
yah... NO FREAKING SWEATS unless you are working out. Or 20. And in college. lol!

L144S
10-15-2009, 06:41 PM
check out your favorite stores online. old navy/gap etc always have cheap stuff in the sale department and it changes every week. I bought shorts $7 this summer and jeans for 10.

bargoo
10-15-2009, 08:01 PM
I am with you on the sweats, that was all I wore when I was at my heaviest. I do not buy them anymore.

starfishkitty
10-16-2009, 02:28 AM
Like other people said, tops are a lot easier to make stretch over several sizes, though it does get to a point where it becomes TOO much of a tent to look good. Pants for me, however, are the hardest. That's why I tend to stick away from my "non-giving" materials in pants such as jeans and keep to cotton and stretchy pants because they go with me (in either direction, god forbid) for several sizes. I love love LOVE my stretchy gauchos and leggings... perhaps too much. :)

uclr0028
10-16-2009, 05:02 AM
I am a pack rat. It is hard for me to give anything way so I was pretty lucky as I had clothes from 30 to 20. My sister is always buying too much clothes so every time she wants to give anything away I always take them. Right now they are way too small for me but I have clothes all the way down to size 14.. Plus I check at my local walmart as they always have stuff on sale. Plus once or twice a year they go crazy and mark alot down to a $1.. I LOVE THOSE SALES... It is getting closer to the day after thanksgiving..Maybe you can find some good sales..

findingfawn
10-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions.

We hit Walmart last night while on datenight.. and I wanted so bad to look at clothes... but we ran into some friends and talked too long, we still hadn't gone for dinner so I grabbed what I had gone in there for and got back out.

Our Salvation Army has 1/2 price Wednesdays.. where every color is half off, so I will try to go next week.

findingfawn
10-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Oh yeah and NO Sweats! I have a few pair that I wear at home, but I would never ever go out in public in sweats.. I didn't do it at my heaviest and I never did it at my lowest in highschool. I'm one of the ones who can't understand why someone would go out thinking they look ok in sweats... and my hubby would die of total embarrassment if I went out in sweats, he grew up that you went out fully dressed.. shirt tucked in and belt on was a must, and he still believes in that.

Thighs Be Gone
10-16-2009, 09:59 AM
Try to organize a clothing swap in your area.

Another idea too--I had some black jersey stretch pants that fit me at my highest and because of their stretchiness, fit me for a long time. They were long and flowing--sort of a little bell bottomed as they got towards the ankle. I liked those things with different sweaters and tops. This time of year, if you could manage to find a couple of cardigans with wide wrap belts that would be great. As you lose, you just cinch the belt and wrap the sweater a bit more.

Jewelry is a great way too to feel good about yourself. Luckily, the cheap, clunky stuff seems to be in style everywhere.

Oh, another thought. I see lots of ladies "belting" tunics and sweaters and all sorts of things nowadays. If you have a top that is oversized, try making it work with a belt. I think this is a really "smart" look for moms.

findingfawn
10-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Gosh jewelry.. can't even tell you the last time I wore anything other than my wedding rings. I used to wear ear rings 24/7, but then decided I want to go back down to just one hole in each ear and then quit wearing them in my first hole because my hair kept getting tangled in them.

I don't wear makeup either. Hubby doesn't like it.

starfishkitty
10-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Do YOU like it?

If you do, I'd suggest occasionally wearing it while explaining to him that it makes you feel good about yourself now and then..... that's what I had to do with my BF.... :) He finally came to understand that SOMETIMES it's about what I like... not just what he likes (though I DO appreciate the fact that he loves me au natural! hehe)

findingfawn
10-16-2009, 10:22 AM
haha.. not really.

I'm not a girly girl, I would rather romp in the mud than go to a ball if that makes sense. Here is an example of my style... I drive a full size truck as my family car, the only sport I like is monster trucks and I dream of homesteading some day (living completely off our own land).

Thighs Be Gone
10-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Starfish--YES!

My hubby likes me to wear very upscale, classic looking clothing. He likes fitted button down starched blouses, belted dress jeans, etc. It's what HE likes. Most of the time though I like my low-rise, some heels and a fitted, trendy looking top and dangling earrings!. It's my thing--my way! But, if he and I are going out together for the day or date night, I dress in things I know he loves. I spoil him but only because I want to. Just like he wears his orange plaid shirt this time of year for ME! Hehehe, he hates orange!

Jacquie668
10-16-2009, 10:30 AM
I barely have enough money to spend on some clothing and I make my clothes last as long as I can. The thing is I look for sales, clearance and even lucky finds like I found a pair of jeans mis-tagged for $11 at Macys. Normally it would have gone for $23, so I snatched them up lol. I also try to buy some things that are too small and other things that are fitting just right. I have four pairs of jeans, two I can wear now out and about and one that is stretchy and too small...the last pair is not stretchy and will take some weight shedding to wear lol. But it gives me a buffer so I have things ready and I'm not having to go out and try to find things. Jeans can be so expensive...sheesh. The pair that isn't stretchy I've had for years, so it was good I kept them. :D

I have a few outfits I wear out and about and when things start to get a bit too big I layer more to cover that up. I tend to buy things on sale more times than not and only get what I can on my budget. At my local Avenue, even at Macys and other stores it is clearance city, so A LOT of clothes are marked way down now that the winter wear is out. I even think Walmart has things marked down, so totally worth a look. :D

bargoo
10-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Oh yeah and NO Sweats! I have a few pair that I wear at home, but I would never ever go out in public in sweats.. I didn't do it at my heaviest and I never did it at my lowest in highschool. I'm one of the ones who can't understand why someone would go out thinking they look ok in sweats... and my hubby would die of total embarrassment if I went out in sweats, he grew up that you went out fully dressed.. shirt tucked in and belt on was a must, and he still believes in that.

I didn't wear sweats because I thought they look good !!! I wore them because I could buy sweats at KMart to fit my obese body, I never thoughr they were high-style or even moderately attractive. I don't have to do that anymore.

findingfawn
10-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Bargoo, I didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry if I did :hug:

I just meant sweats aren't for me, at least not out in public ;)

bargoo
10-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Bargoo, I didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry if I did :hug:

I just meant sweats aren't for me, at least not out in public ;)

I wasn't offended, I just wanted to say that the clothes I wore when I was 86 pounds heavier were chosen not for style but what I could find that would fit. My clothes closet now has far different looking clothes than before. No sweats or elastic waist pants. I can actually choose what I want to buy and I can do it in ordinary stores. No more Xlarge sizes which I maintain are designed by people who hate women.

Smiling_Sara
10-16-2009, 12:06 PM
I'm the biggest fan ever of ebay. I buy clothes from there and then sell the ones that don't fit me anymore. Pretty much comes out to a wash. I spend what I make from it.

ubergirl
10-16-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm still waiting to drop sizes...

I sometimes feel like no matter how much weight I lose, I'll still look good in a 3 X top....

Most of my old clothes must have really been too small, LOL, because most of them have shrunk right along with me...

I can't wait to have this problem!

findingfawn
10-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Uber, I have only gone down one size.. and it's kind of depressing to see some here on the board weigh more than I do and be in a way smaller size.... even those who are about the same height as me. My biggest issue is my 4X c-section belly is proving to be very hard to get rid of. Everyone I see tells me I have lost a lot of my bum and my face is getting very thin... but around the middle seems to be showing no signs of budging.... sigh.

I'm sure as the scale starts moving downward more my pants will go down quickly because I'm only waiting on my waiste to cooperate these days.