Faith Based Support Groups - Encouraging scriptures?

View Full Version : Encouraging scriptures?

TXMary2
10-14-2009, 11:17 AM
What are some of your favorite encouraging scriptures. I am writing some on the tops of my food diary pages so I see them each time I log what I eat. Thanks!

Bootsie
10-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi Mary I like Romans, Romans chapters 10 thru 14 and I also like in Proverbs ones on honey lets see Ch 25 verse 16. chapter 24 verse 13, I guess my favorite proverb would be Chapter 16 verse 16. I am sorry I am in a hurry or i would write them out. Have a great day and come join us in some of the other threads going , love to have you join us!

Ryanne
10-14-2009, 07:50 PM
NIV© So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.:D

EZMONEY
10-14-2009, 08:56 PM
I receive a weekly e-mail from the Pastor of a church we visit sometimes on vacation....this was todays...I thought the versus at the bottom may help you...:)

Here's something to think about from Dr. Dale Meyer. I pray it is a timely
encouragement for you.

Keyword: Worry
In "Standing on the Promises", Susan Wales quotes a Vicki Baum: "You don't
get ulcers from what you eat. Your get them from what's eating you." (p.
138)
What's eating you this Wednesday morning? Take this minute to apply some
promises from God to your worries.
"Turn your burdens over to the Lord, and He will take care of you. He will
never let the righteous person stumble." (Psalm 55:22)
"Thanks be to the Lord, who daily carries our burdens for us. God is our
salvation." (Psalm 68:19)
"When I worried about many things, Your assuring words soothed my soul."
(Psalm 94:19)
"My God will richly fill your every need in a glorious way through Christ
Jesus." (Philippians 4:19)
Lord Jesus, sometimes my worries consume me. As You told Martha, tell me
now: One thing is needful, the Word of promise. Remind me that in You all
the comforting promises of God are "Yea" and "Amen."

Copyright © Dale A Meyer 2009

Standing on the Promises,
Pastor Mark

Bootsie
10-14-2009, 11:21 PM
I love those Gary!

Justwant2Bhealthy
10-26-2009, 05:46 PM
GARY ~ I think the good doctor has a great point there, and could very well have been talking about weight issues as ulcers. I believe many people overeat becuz something is bothering or stressing them in their lives. Most of us are already experts on eating healthy foods now, but we need to be released of past hurts and today's stresses, and learn how to give those burdens to GOD and leave them there ...

I like Psalm 55:22 for the same reason ~ I have a note on my desk that says: YESTERDAY ENDED LAST NIGHT, so let it go ... ;)

Another verse I like is Phil 4:13 ~ "I CAN do ALL things through CHRIST, who strengthens me!"

Galatians 5:22/23 ~ The fruits of the Spirit are Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering (Patience), Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self-Control ... I tell myself this -- "I HAVE self-control; so I AM blessed!"

Heidi58
11-18-2009, 07:23 AM
A few more reminders that we never face our challenges alone:

Psalm 138:3
In the day that I called, you answered me. You encouraged me with strength in my soul.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says Yahweh, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you hope and a future.

Philippians 1:6
...being confident of this very thing, that he who began a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.

bargoo
11-18-2009, 11:48 AM
And don't forget the 23rd Psalm. I also love Isaiah 40:31. Just a couple of favorites, I have many more.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-19-2009, 01:30 AM
BARGOO ~ I am the same as you: I love the 23rd Psalm too and often sing it. I like so many verses that there are too many to mention them all ... :lol:

JEREMIAH 31:3 ~ I have loved you with an everlasting love ...

JEREMIAH 30:17 ~ I will restore health unto you and will heal you of all your wounds, saith the Lord ...

ISAIAH 41:13 ~ For I the LORD thy GOD, will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, FEAR NOT: I will help thee!

Phillipians 4:7 ~ And the peace of GOD, that passeth understanding, shall guard your hearts and minds, through Jesus Christ.

2 Timothy 1:7 ~ For GOD has not given us a spirit of fear: but of Power, and of Love, and of a sound mind.

Psalm 18:2 ~ The LORD is my Rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my GOD; my Strength; in whom I will trust, my buckler; and the horn of my salvation; and my high tower.

Psalm 31:24 ~ Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.

Heidi58
11-22-2009, 03:40 PM
John 14:27
"Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, give I to you. Don’t let your heart be troubled, neither let it be fearful."

I Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has taken you except what is common to man. God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted above what you are able, but will with the temptation also make the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Justwant2Bhealthy
11-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Here's some more that I like ... :hug:

ISAIAH 26:3 ~ Thou will keep him (her) in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he (she) trusteth in thee.

ISAIAH 41:10 ~ FEAR THOU NOT; for I am with thee; be not dismayed, for I am thy GOD: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

ISAIAH 43:1 ~ FEAR NOT: for I have redeemed thee; I have called thee by thy name; (and) thou art mine.

Cape Breton Chick
12-13-2009, 12:15 PM
One of my very favorite scriptures that I feel in my spirit, my heart daily is "Be still and know that I am God", and of course the 23rd Psalm has always been special to me as my Pappy recited it to me often.
There is a prayer that I gets me through each day, that I feel prepares me to face the day and the things that may lay in my path.

Dear Lord I pray...,
Please, as I enter into this new day with which you have blessed me..
Bind my mind to the mind of Jesus Christ
Bind my will to the will of God and
Bind my feet to the paths of righteousness.
Destroy wrong thought patterns, wrong attitudes, wrong habits and the strongholds that protect them in and around me Dear Lord. Amen.

I pray that these may speak to your heart in the way that God intends if that so be His will...

God Bless

Me Too
01-02-2010, 06:54 PM
3 John:2
Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.

John 6:27
Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.

a few verses that mean a lot to me.
Thank everyone for the the wonderful verses they shared.

jigglefree
01-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I love Lamentations 3:58 from the Amplified Bible
O Lord you have pleaded the causes of my soul, You have managed my affairs and You have protected my person and my rights, you have rescued and redeemed my life!

That settles my spirit when I start to get anxious about life.

dstill88
01-11-2010, 02:23 PM
John 20:29 Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed
1Cor 1:18 The message of teh cross is foolish to those who are perishing but not to us who are saved by its power.

dstill88
01-11-2010, 02:25 PM
1 Cor 2:6 We have the mind of Christ
Deut 28
Jeremiah 29:11 I know the plans I have for you... plans to prosper you not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

dstill88
01-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Ephesians 1"17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of widsom, and revelation, so that you may know Him better. I also pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which He has called you, the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and His incomparably great power for us who believe.

dstill88
01-11-2010, 02:30 PM
1 Peter 1:1
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade, kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.

dstill88
01-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Nehemiah 8:10
Do not greive, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.
2 Peter 1:2
Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

dstill88
01-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Luke 4:18
The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because hs has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.

dstill88
01-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Proverbs 4:23
Above all else, guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life.
Proverb 31:11-31 The wife of noble character

dstill88
01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Matt 25:21 Well done good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things.

dstill88
01-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Luke 9:1-2
When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure disease, and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.

John 10:27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

dstill88
01-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Ehpesians 6:10-20 put on the full armor of God

jenjem1020
01-13-2010, 11:56 PM
The LORD'S lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail. ~ Lam. 3:22

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. ~ Phil. 4:6

But now, thus says the LORD, your Creator, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel, "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! ~ Isaiah 43:1

Loveliam
01-14-2010, 09:25 AM
I was just collecting some inspirational scripture quotes for my weekly motivation. Here is a list I am keeping:

"And Jesus said unto them ... , "If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to younder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible to you."
Romans 1:17

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9

Immediately he spoke to them and said, "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." Then he climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were completely amazed,
Mark 6:51

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." Proverbs 16:3

dstill88
01-18-2010, 12:08 PM
This one makes me laugh...
John 3:30
He must increase; I must decrease.

ohlove
06-04-2010, 03:10 AM
"Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God." Psalm 43:5

“No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13

"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love." 1 Corinthians 16:13

“But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect.” 1 Corinthians 15:10

Bootsie
06-05-2010, 11:24 AM
SO Give Your Servant A Discerning Heart To Govern Your People And To Distinguish Between Right And Wrong. 1 Kings 3:9

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-07-2010, 11:19 PM
MARK 10:27 -- "With GOD, All Things are Possible"

PSALM 3:3b -- "Thou art ... the lifter up of mine head"

LAMENTATIONS 3:23 -- "His compassion is new every morning"

HEBREWS 13:5/6 -- "I will never leave thee or forsake thee"

PSALM 27:1b -- "The LORD is the Strength of my life"

I PETER 5:7 -- "Cast all your cares upon Him, for He careth for you"

PROVERBS 16:24 -- "Pleasant words are sweet to the soul and health to the bones"

Ladybug2680
06-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks for all the awesome scriptures. One of my favorites is Isaiah 62:3 - You will be a crown of splendor in the Lord's hand, a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

You have to read a little ahead and after the verse because it's talking about Zion's New Name, but still awesome nonetheless.

time2lose
06-29-2010, 10:08 AM
I just enjoyed reading through these. I really need to hang out here more. I have many favorite scriptures but one that has directly related to my weight loss is Matthew 6.

25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31[B]So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Justwant2Bhealthy
06-29-2010, 04:05 PM
CHERYL ~ I agree, that is one of my favorites too; and Lee is right on the money as well ...

Here's a few more that I like too --

Matthew 4:4 -- "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of GOD."

Deuteronomy 8:7-10 -- "For the Lord thy GOD brought thee into a good land ... a land of wheat and barley; and vines and fig trees, and pomegranates; a land of olive oil, and honey; a land wherein thou shalt eat bread without scarceness, (and) thou shalt not lack anything in it ... when thou hast eaten and art full, then thou shalt bless the LORD thy GOD for the good land HE has given thee."

Nehemiah 8:10 -- "... Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send some to those who have none prepared: for this day is holy to the Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the Joy of the Lord is your strength."

Psalm 36:8 -- "They shall be abundantly satisfied with the bounty of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures."

Psalm 103:5 -- "Who satisfies thy mouth with good things: so that thy youth is renewed like the eagles."

Psalm 104:10 -- "HE causes the grass to grow; and herb for the service of man, to bring food out of the earth ... and wine that makes glad the heart of man ... and oil to make his face shine; and bread, which strengthens a man's heart ..."

Psalm 107:9 -- "HE satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness."

Justwant2Bhealthy
08-01-2010, 09:42 PM
I have some more ... :lol:

ECCLESIASTES 9:7 ~ "Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart, for GOD has already accepted thy works."

ISAIAH 49:10 ~ "They shall not hunger or thirst; neither shall the sun smite them ... for HE shall lead them by the springs of water (condensed)."

PHILIP 4:19 ~ "GOD shall supply all your need according to HIS riches in glory, by CHRIST JESUS."

ECCL 3:12-13 ~ "There is nothing better for us than to be happy, and to enjoy ourselves for as long as we can; and even more, that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labor, for it is the gift from GOD."

PSALM 22:26 ~ "The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek HIM; (and) your heart shall live forever."

PSALM 145:16 ~ "Thou openest thine hand, and satisfieth the desire of every living thing."

PSALM 34:10 ~ "They that seek the LORD, shall not want for any good thing."

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-07-2010, 09:54 PM
We can always use some more encouraging verses ... :D

JAMES 1:17 ~ "Every good and perfect gift comes from above ... from our Father, who changes not."

JOSHUA 1:9 ~ "Be not afraid, nor dismayed; for the LORD your GOD is with you withersoever thou goest."

PSALM 84:11 ~ "... No good thing will HE withhold from them that walk uprightly."

PHILIP 4:7 ~ "... the Peace of GOD, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds, in Christ Jesus."

PSALM 55:22 ~ "Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and HE shall sustain thee."

ISAIAH 41:13 ~ "For I, the LORD thy GOD, will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee: Fear not, I will help thee."

NUMBERS 6:24-26 "... May the LORD bless you and keep you ... May the LORD make His face to shine upon you, and be gracious unto you ... May the LORD lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace."

Bootsie
09-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Job chapter 23, When I feel so alone, helpless, lost this chapter gives me hope.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-15-2010, 09:47 PM
BOOTSIE ~ I checked that chapter out and I like verses 6 & 12 in particular ...

JOB 23:6 ~ "Will He (God) plead against me with His great power? NO -- He would put strength in me ..."

JOB 23:12 ~ "Neither have I gone back from the commandment of His lips: I have esteemed the words of His mouth more than my necessary food."

I also like JOB 10:12 ~ "Thou hast granted me life and favor, and thy visitation hath preserved my spirit."

JOB 19:25 ~ "For I know that my redeemer liveth; also that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth."

And from Chapter 38 on, GOD himself speaks about His awesome power and supremacy. One can't read those chapters and not be awed by GOD's great power and majesty ... I feel that He is reminding us that He has everything under control; and that we should TRUST HIM more ...

I like JOB 40:8 ~ "Wilt thou also disannul my judgement? Wilt thou condemn me that thou mayest be righteous?" (very humbling)

JOB 42:1 ~ "I know that thou canst do everything, and that no thought can be with-held from thee."

And of course, in the end, we know that "GOD accepted JOB and blessed him more than ever been before." JOB 42:9-12.

It was interesting that after GOD healed & restored JOB, all his family and friends came back to him; and each one gave him a piece of money and a piece of gold as they comforted him. GOD blessed JOB with a new family and he lived a good long life ... :D

Bootsie
09-16-2010, 12:23 AM
Rosebud, I just love the conversing between our Father and Job. It is so much like our own lives in away, the potholes we don't understand , the strong love he had for Job and i really think he admired Job's determination to stand up and want to talk to him and get some answers. Like me Job did not understand so many things. It is good to know if I don't understand I can go straight and ask God to please explain it to me, when he gets the time. I think also the greatest gift Job got was our Fathers love, can't you just see a glow of love surrounding him at the end, so awesome.

Justwant2Bhealthy
09-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Well, deja-vous or what ... would you believe that my morning devotion today was on these very verses -- the book of JOB; and the writer felt that this book (esp the chapters 38 and on) where GOD describes all that HE created here on earth (and the cosmos), is indeed to show us just how much wisdom and power GOD has, so we can TRUST HIM to look after us and our lives ...

Indeed this book shows us that if someone as righteous as JOB can have so many bad things befall him, and he was not to blame; then we can be assured when troubles come our way too. Mr. De Hann says that GOD must have really respected JOB to risk letting him be tried by YKW so much. Despite his immense losses and pain and sorrow, JOB never blamed GOD or turned against Him ...

He did question GOD, but that is all -- and this story does show us that GOD doesn't mind that we have questions and that we try to understand Him better. JOB's friends blamed him -- saying that he was wrong, when he wasn't; but JOB prayed for them in the end, and GOD counted that as even more righteousness towards JOB and HE was very impressed with him.

It made me think about the hard times that NA and the world are going through right now -- these may well be testing times. GOD may be calling people back to Himself through these circumstances. HE may be trying to get people to slow down and smell the roses and not living so much for money and material possessions. He may want people to change their priorities; OR maybe HE justs wants them to ^^^ LOOK UP ^^^; OR to get to know GOD better ...

The key thing to remember is that GOD doesn't do these things, but HE allows or permits them for some very good reason. So we need to pray and ask GOD what we can learn from these times ... For some Christians, HE may just want them to TRUST HIM ... and that's all ... :hug:

Bootsie
09-16-2010, 11:14 PM
That is awesome here we were discussing Job and your morning devotion was about Job!

God,grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And the Wisdom to know the difference
Reinhold Neibuhr , 1926

My Mother always said this prayer and had it up on the wall in our cafe's we had.

Bootsie
09-26-2010, 06:36 PM
I been reading over and over again Proverbs 3 and 4 this week and it is so encouraging. All that have the cravings or just want to make something right in your life they are so encouraging , well....... they have been to me, anyway.
Proverb 4 : 23 to 27 really have encouraged me.

Above all else guard your heart, for it affects everything you do. Avoid all perverse talk; stay far from corrupt speech. Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you. Mark out a straight path for your feet; then stick to the path and stay safe . don't get side tracked; keep your feet from following evil.