General Diet Plans and Questions - The Rice Diet Solution?

View Full Version : The Rice Diet Solution?

Me Too
10-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Has anyone tried The Rice Diet?
What do you think of it?

The Rice Diet Solution plan has several phases:

Phase 1 -- one week

1 day: Basic Rice Diet (800 calories and 50 mg sodium)

2 starches and 2 fruits at breakfast, lunch, and dinner

6 days: Lacto Vegetarian Rice Diet (1,000 calories a day and 300 mg sodium)

Breakfast: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 nonfat dairy

Lunch and dinner: 3 starches, 3 vegetables, 1 fruit

Phase 2 -- one week

1 day: Basic Rice Diet

5 days: Lacto Vegetarian Rice Diet

1 day: Vegetarian Plus Rice Diet (1,200 calories per day and 500 mg sodium)

Breakfast: 2 starches, 1 fruit

Lunch: 3 starches, 3 vegetables, 1 fruit

Dinner: 3 starches, 3 protein (or 2 dairy), 3 vegetables, 1 fruit

Phase 3 -- Maintenance. Same as phase 2, adding about 200 more calories per week, until you stop losing weight.

4 days: Lacto Vegetarian Rice Diet

2 days: Vegetarian Plus Rice Diet

cookinmary
10-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Yes, Ive done this plan and lost a pound a day.

Went back to my old eating habits though and gained my weight back.

Any plan is so much easier when your family members go along with you. When you have to keep making meats and fatty foods, well, the temptation is there to eat it and more than likely you will.

Ive been thinking of doing it once again. There are so many options as to what foods you may be hankering for. Just have them ready.

ohmai
10-07-2010, 10:02 PM
awww.. I got excited to see this thread on the boards, but realised the OP is from last year. I've been hearing a lot about this diet and how terrific it is for quick weightloss. (I think due to a recent article in Woman's World mag) I want to try it, but not alone. >.>

ohmai
10-07-2010, 10:04 PM
cookinmary, do you think you lost the weight quickly due to it being so low cal or do you think it's the combination of foods you eat? Did you regain the weight back quickly?

cookinmary
10-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Ohmi,

I dont have time right now to post you. Have to leave here in a bit.

I will get back to you.

mary

cookinmary
10-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Im back.

Ok, heres the scoop. I think the program works with the foods that you are given to eat, no salt added and very little fat if any is used. Right there is a recipe for weight loss.

I did exercise most days, on my treadmill. But not for real long periods of time. And I drank light beer most days, like 3. And lost weight. How bout that. Having your beer (instead of cake) and losing weight.

For me it was not eating all that fat and dairy and meat. When I quit those things I lose. I have been lax on my veggies, so that would have to improve once again.

Are you thinking of doing it?

We could maybe do it together if you'd like. I dont want to start on a weekend though. DH is around then. Monday is good, if you are game. Let me know.

CM

ohmai
10-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Hey, CM. I'm willing to give it a try. I'll pick up the book in the morning and read enough to get started on Monday morning. :)

cookinmary
10-09-2010, 09:59 AM
That's great.

I picked up 10 pounds of taters yesterday, on sale. Already have rice and fruit in the house along with winter squash.

I love my starches.

cookinmary
10-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Hello ohmai,

Its Monday morning.

I have begun the rice diet. I had oatmeal for breakfast with banana and will have an apple later on.

For lunch I think I'll have rice with my fruits. Not sure yet about dinner.

I plan on taking a walk today as well, along with doing housework.

Did you decide to start today?

cookinmary
10-12-2010, 09:36 AM
Im down two pounds from yesterday. Probably just water weight, but its a start.

I am going to do this and win this battle of the bulge.

cookinmary
10-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Im down another pound today. I feel like Im talking to myself. LOL

ohmai
10-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Sorry, CM! I had to take a few days off due to illness. I'm not able to eat much at all. I'm following, but loosely, as I just can't seem to tolerate any food right now. I will post any loss saturday morning. I'll be following the diet strictly in as soon as I'm feeling better (which is hopefully.. tomorrow! ugh!

Sounds like you've had an awesome start with the diet. Even if it is water weight, it's water you didn't need and pounds lost :) 2 LBs the first day is awesome.. no need to discount it ;)

How much do you have to lose? My ticker is current.. 192 lbs with a first goal of 150; ultimate goal of 115-120. (I'm 5'4, small frame)

cookinmary
10-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Hi ohmai,

Sorry to hear you are feeling crummy. Hope you are better soon.

When I started the diet I was 169 and as of today I am 165.5. So, it is working.

I would like to get down to around 140 or so. And see how I look at that weight. Im 5'4" too.

I have weighed 117 before and looked not good in the face, too thin I thought.

I have been exercising every day as well.

The detox day was hard, I was hungry. But now with all the other food Im allowed, its like how am I gonna eat all this. And ya know what, I cant eat it all. I do make sure I get my veggies in for sure, but as for all the starch servings and getting the three fruits in, I dont.

Tomorrow is my wedding anniversary, so I hope I can stay on plan with that. Thats one day I do enjoy so much. Love that hubby of mine.

cookinmary

KattoS
10-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Hey there cookinmary and ohmai,

I just saw your posts and would like to join in. Hope you don't mind if I start posting with you.

Today is a detox day, but tomorrow I'm going to start the Rice Diet!

cookinmary
10-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi KattoS,

That would be great. The more the merrier.

Im down another half pound today for a total loss of four pounds since Monday. This is so cool.

Each day before when I would try any diet, the scale would stay the same or even go up. I think I have found my plan that works for me. Now, each day it goes down.

Im going to an Italian store today and get some pastas shapes. See what kind of fresh greens they have.

Have a great day.

CM

cookinmary
10-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Im down another half pound today.

How are you doing?

ohmai
10-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Hi, CM. Hi, KaTtos ;)

I'm down six pounds after this first week, but I followed very loosely. (Mostly bland oatmeal and vegetable soup, when I could tolerate it.) It could be water weight, which is fine by me. I can see that I'm retaining some even now anyway - puffy legs. I'm feeling better now (thanks for the well wishes, CM), so I'll be following the plan more strictly come Monday. I need to shop and Sunday is the day :)

KattoS
10-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Starting yesterday, I had my first day of trying to eat more starch and carbs.
For breakfast I had 1 1/2servings of rice, a banana and yogurt. For lunch I munched on some fruit (grapes and melon) and had a small serving of rice. And for dinner, I had 1/2 of a chicken pita (with 1000 island dressing) and some OJ.

This morning I ate a small serving of rice, an egg on a rice cake (w/ mayo) and a fruit smoothie.

I don't know if I'm following the diet right, so any information or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

ohmai
10-16-2010, 10:22 PM
KaTtos, I think you're having more protien than the plan calls for the first few days :)
The first message of this thread has an outline of the diet, I'm quoting it for you here. I'll try to get serving sizes/suggestions this evening or tomorrow too. Day 1 would be 2 starches and 2 fruits for each of 3 meals.

Has anyone tried The Rice Diet?
What do you think of it?

The Rice Diet Solution plan has several phases:

Phase 1 -- one week

1 day: Basic Rice Diet (800 calories and 50 mg sodium)

2 starches and 2 fruits at breakfast, lunch, and dinner

6 days: Lacto Vegetarian Rice Diet (1,000 calories a day and 300 mg sodium)

Breakfast: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 nonfat dairy

Lunch and dinner: 3 starches, 3 vegetables, 1 fruit

Phase 2 -- one week

5 days: Lacto Vegetarian Rice Diet

1 day: Vegetarian Plus Rice Diet (1,200 calories per day and 500 mg sodium)

Breakfast: 2 starches, 1 fruit

Lunch: 3 starches, 3 vegetables, 1 fruit

Dinner: 3 starches, 3 protein (or 2 dairy), 3 vegetables, 1 fruit

Phase 3 -- Maintenance. Same as phase 2, adding about 200 more calories per week, until you stop losing weight.

4 days: Lacto Vegetarian Rice Diet

2 days: Vegetarian Plus Rice Diet

cookinmary
10-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Hello everyone,

I lost another half pound. That is a total of 5 pounds since starting on Monday.

I exercised every day except for Sat. I plan on doing some today. Just been walking. I use Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds with the weighted balls. A couple days I did walk outdoors. Got in some hills.

I can tell that I have lost, even if its only water weight. In my hips. My pants are fitting different. Im so glad of that. I have a ways to go, but I know that I will get there.

I'll be on phase 2 starting Monday. I asked DH what kind of protein he might want to have. Ya know, I really havent missed meat so much. Just my egg beaters that I use for omlettes. So, Im thinking I'll make us omlettes. You can eat more that way. I dont know how much 3 oz. of cooked meat looks like. Kinda like slow torture having that and then not having any more again till next week.

Way to go on your loss of 6 pounds ohmai. Are you feeling better?

And KattoS, the plan can get confusing if you are not familiar with it. Have you read the book?

mrbreakfast.com has some good oatmeal recipes.

Have a great day.

KattoS
10-18-2010, 04:14 AM
Thanks you guys.

Ohmai, thanks for the reminder. This time I wrote it down and went shopping for the right foods.
CM, I'll follow the link you gave me and research the diet a bit more.
I guess I'm not following it right considering I've added the protein. whoops...not just yet. lol.

And, I think its amazing you both have been loosing weight on this diet. I only hope I can do the same. Keep up the good work.

p.s. I've added jumping jacks and jump roping to my usual workout, and have been seeing a differnce in my legs and thighs. I think you guys should try it too. (^___^)

cookinmary
10-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Hey KattoS,

Jumping jacks, and jump rope. Wow, those are really a workout. Ive done jumping jacks before, couldnt do too many of those. And when I was a kid (way long time ago) jumped rope every day.

Do you jump rope outdoors? I could not see me doing that. My ceilings are high enough I could jump in here.

Today starts my phase 2 of the plan. Already had my oatmeal and 1 fruit. Will save that fruit for a snack later. Cant eat that much in the morn of fruit.

Doing my detox today. Im prepared for it this time round.

I lost 6 pounds thus far.

Have a great day.

KattoS
10-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Awesome CM!

I do my jump roping and jacks at home. I did read that its good to go for a brisk walk, and every 5 min do a set of jumping jacks or jump rope. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to.

I did want to ask you guys, what kind of starchy foods are you eating? I did look online and bought based on what foods had the better starch/carbs. But although the scale isn't saying I've lost weight, my pants are! (Must be muscle, yay!)
Anyways, any foody tips would be great.

Thanx.

cookinmary
10-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey KattoS,

The starches I have been eating are pasta, winter squash, potatoes, some rice, corn on the cob, legumes. Those are my favs.

I make my own vegan cheeze sauce to make mac and cheeze, and I roast my potatoes in the oven with a little olive oil either in cubes or in french fry form.

Then for veggies, been having the ususal stuff, green pepper, cukes, onion, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, salad, kale etc.

For me I have found that I was not eating many veggies. And now, boy, its all I can do to get them all down along with all that fruit.

Im down another pound today, weight is 162.5

Way to go on your pants getting baggy. The scale can be a huge breaker in ones mind. Going by how your clothes fit is a better way to judge how one does in my opinion. The scale is just a number, it makes your day or breaks your day. Be happy.

My hips are getting smaller.

cookinmary

KattoS
10-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Awesome.

Looks like I'm doing the exact same then.
I'm eating more veggies then before, with plenty of fruit too.
I'm sticking to mainly rice (considering I'm in Japan), but it is brown rice. So that's good.
I will have to add potatoes though. For some reason, although I love them, I haven't eaten any yet. I'll go and get some later today.

Thanks for the tips.

ohmai
10-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Hey, Ladies!

Hope you're both doing well. I haven't weighed myself since Saturday; but I am feeling pretty good. (Once a week is good for me, as I become obsessed with it otherwise.)

I eat oatmeal, sweetpotatoes, brown rice, jasmine rice, pasta - no regular potatoes, but I do like them and might include them on my shopping list for next week. Tonight we're having veg. soup (healthy choice, canned - probably a bit more sodium than allowed, but my day is too busy to plan something else) and a slice of whole grain bread.

CM - can you share the recipe for the cheese sauce?

cookinmary
10-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Cheeze sauce

2 c. water
1/3 c. cooked carrots (slice or dice them)
1/3 c. white flour
1/4 c. nutritional yeast flakes
1 T. lemon juice (bottled or fresh, both work)
2 t. onion powder
1 t. salt (leave out or cut way back on it)

Put the cooked carrots and 2 c. cold water and rest of ingred. in blender and whirl till smooth. Heat on stove top till thickened.

Here is another one that is super easy:

1/4 c. nutrtional yeast flakes
1/4 c. flour
1 t. paprika
1 t. salt (leave out or cut back on)
dash garlic powder
1 c. water
1 T. vegan marg

All in sauce pan and heat till thickened.

I use both sauces on just about every thing. Baked potatoes, veggies, macaroni. Even on legumes.

Let me know how you like it.

KattoS
10-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Just a quick question, are your butts getting bigger?
Mine is and I don't know if its due to the starches and carbs or what.
My waist is thinning down, but my butt and thighs are expanding.....
:(

cookinmary
10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Hi KattoS,

No, my butt is not getting bigger. I am thinner thru the hips and wasit area and my pants in the butt seem to be not so tight. I have a long way to go in this battle of the bulge.

Maybe you are getting toned up in those areas.

Ive heard from other people who did workouts that they seemed to get bulkier, more than they wanted.

I dont know if the starches would be doing that. I suppose each person is different in how they can handle food. Thus so many diet plans.

Ive always felt better doing a starch based diet plan.

Is the first time you have followed a program that has more starches than you are use to?

KattoS
10-24-2010, 07:28 AM
That totally makes sense.
I've been doing a lot of cardio based workouts.

And yep. Its the first time. I'm not sure my body can handle so much starch.
I might have to cut back on some of the starch filled products and double the intake on fruit and/or veg. What do you think?

cookinmary
10-24-2010, 11:01 AM
I recall in the book, if you are going to over eat a food, let it be the vegetable. Not many calories there.

Sometimes my tummy gets to hurting with eating all those veggies. Does yours?

Im waiting for grapefruit to come around my area. I can live on those, love em.

Do you have a favorite fruit?

KattoS
10-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Hey ladies,
I hate to back out, but the diet is not working for me.
I'm yo-yoing too much between 148 and 151lbs, and I honestly don't think my body can handle so many starches and carbs.

Anyways, I wish you both the best of luck.

cookinmary
10-29-2010, 01:20 PM
Hey there KattoS,

Ive fallen off the plan. I did keep off four pounds though. So, no total loss in doing the plan.

Im terrible in sticking with any thing.

What will you do now?

Nice to have met you.

ohmai
10-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Hey, Ladies. I'm finding this very hard to stick with along with having to cook what the family wants as well. I have so very little energy on this plan. Sorry to hear it isn't working out for you two either. What will you try now, Mary? I know that I feel best when have more fat in my meals; I'm satiated longer and I have more energy, so I think I might just try calorie counting. It seems so tedious though and I always want fast results.

ValRock
10-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Ladies, please be careful with this one. I had a good friend pass out and go to the hospital on it.

cookinmary
10-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Oh my, what happen? Are they ok now. What did the hospital say about it?

KattoS
11-06-2010, 02:53 AM
I hope your friend is OK too.
My energy wasn't as high either. I think I'm still sluggish this past week as well. But I can't fully blame it on the diet though. Hopefully all turns out well.

I'm actually going to make a post about it, but have either of you tried the Slimfast diet? I used to eat the products a lot when I was back in the states. My mom just sent me the shake mix and snack/meal bars, and I wanted to try the diet plan as well.
What do you think?

Keep me posted on what you're trying as well.

~KattoS