Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - honey crisp apples

View Full Version : honey crisp apples

duqserb
10-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Anybody ever try them? They are absolutely AMAZING...and I'm not even joking. I'm not sure if they're available in only certian parts of the United States or even in other countries but if you can get your hands on some I highly suggest it. I feel pretty proud of myself that as I walked through the door right now I went to the fridge to grab an apple instead of the chocolate in my cabintet. THATS' how good they are! They tend to be more on the pricey side, but they're currently in season, and I totally believe they're worth the extra money. I can't even put into words how to describe their taste....they're just as their name describes....crispy and so sweet it's almost like eating honey. Pure awesomeness lol

~D~

BillBlueEyes
10-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Another believer here. They are to-die-for. I'm willing to pay the $3/pound when there are good apples going for $7/10 pound bag.

We get them grown locally.

SueSays
10-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Love 'em!! :) They start showing up this time of year, and I eat as many as I can (on plan, of course!) before they're gone again.

I also love Cara Cara oranges - the oranges mixed with a chopped honeycrisp make a really tasty fruit salad! So crisp, sweet and fresh!

Late to the game
10-13-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm a fan too. They are 2.49 a lb here, and I'm cheap but I get 'em while they're available. They are awesome!

kaplods
10-13-2009, 06:33 PM
I love the "premium" varieties of apples. Honeycrips is probably my favorite. It helps to know which variety is in peak season, because many applegrowers will keep most of the apples in cold storage, and sell them throughout the year. Some varieties keep better than others.

My understanding of the honecrisp is that they're rare enough that the supply runs out before the demand, so they're pretty much "right off the tree," compared to other more common varieties.

Fuji and Braeburn are probably the best year-round apples in my opinion.

Any crisp, sweet/sour apple is a winner with me. Braeburn, Fuji, Pink Lady, Pacific Rose, Cameo, (Royal)Gala, Jonathan, JonaGold, Cortland, Crispin, even Granny Smith.

Mmmmm, apples.

I have Honeycrisp and Jonathon in the fridge now. I bought a bag of Honeycrisp at Aldi for only $3.99 for a 1 lb bag, and part of MIL's housewarming present for our new apartment was a 5 lb bag of Jonathan. Jonathon aren't my favorite, but I do like them. I absolutely cannot stand any apple that doesn't have a firm flesh. Some apples get mealy after they've been stored too long, and some never are crisp (I hate Rome because they're always too soft, which I find really unpleasant. I think it's why I abhore applesauce).

Suzanne 3FC
10-13-2009, 07:40 PM
LOVE THEM! But I've noticed they aren't all the same. The ones I buy from the organic grocery are pure heaven! But the ones I buy at the regular grocery are just so-so. :dunno:

bacilli
10-13-2009, 07:47 PM
I got 8 lbs of them last week from the orchard, and I find myself eating them for lunch instead of a balanced meal, I love them that much. DH thought I was crazy for being so excited about a 2 week period I could get a particular apple ... until he had one. Now he's hooked too.

Thighs Be Gone
10-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Mmmm...Honey Crisp lover here..they have been here about a month..I didn't see them this week though at the store..

Cheapest I've seen has been $1.77
Highest I've seen is $2.50

duqserb
10-13-2009, 08:10 PM
haha well I'm glad I'm not the only one in love with these apples! I live in Chicago and we have Pete's Fresh Market out here. They have an ENORMOUS amount of fruit and veggies for cheap prices. I'm not sure but I think I got these apples for anywhere between $1.50 and $2. I know it was definitely below $2 but I really didn't care, I just grabbed a bag and started filling it up! lol

~D~

Ija
10-13-2009, 08:41 PM
These are by far my favorite variety... I've been known to eat 3 or 4 in a day :) They're pretty pricey here too (usually around 2.49 at my co-op) but so very worth it!

WaterRat
10-13-2009, 09:16 PM
They are wonderful, but at $2.99/LB I don't buy a lot at a time. :)

kaplods
10-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Every year it seems I'm willing to spend more and more for really awesome fruit. Every year, it seems there's also another fruit that I've had to add to my "fruit watch" calendar.

One fruit I won't be adding, is dragonfruit. I spent about $6 to $7 on one large fruit (smaller than a grapefruit). It was beautiful, juicy, and sweet - there was nothing to dislike, but there was no WOW factor. Sweet was really the only flavor, as otherwise flavorless as sugar water with no flavoring added. If the price was cut by 2/3, I'd probably occasionally buy one to add to a fruit plate, fruit pizza or fruit salad, because the fruit is very unusual and pretty - just no wow in the taste department.

Sis
10-14-2009, 03:56 PM
If you like Honeycrisp you would love Suncrisp. They usually follow the Honeycrisp here in Michigan. I LOVE them both.

Shannon in ATL
10-14-2009, 04:00 PM
I love Honeycrisp... I also like Pink Lady. Hate the Rome, also - squishy, like Kaplods said.

Best price I've found was at Trader Joe's, actually.

rockinrobin
10-14-2009, 04:47 PM
My absolute favorite is the GALA apple. SO unbelievably sugar sweet with a great crunch. They're also a great size, not to big and get this - they're about 69 cents a pound.

I heart apples.

Oh my goodness. Who wouldv'e thunk it? I used to think that it was a punishment to eat an apple. Now it's a treat which I totally and completely look forward to and enjoy.

starfishkitty
10-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Oh my goodness. Who wouldv'e thunk it? I used to think that it was a punishment to eat an apple. Now it's a treat which I totally and completely look forward to and enjoy.

Same here Robin!

My grandmother is constantly shocked how I look forward to my fruits these days..... it'd be a big fruit week for me if I had fruit twice a week in the past!

CLCSC145
10-14-2009, 10:19 PM
I love honeycrisp apples! I think I heard about them on 3FC a few years ago. I thought, how good can an apple be? Well, these are amazingly great.

The ones I just got at the market are HUGE though. I'm kinda bummed because they've got to be the equivalent of two apples. And cut apples don't save very well. I suppose I could rub the cut side with a lemon...

HotWings
10-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Oh I need to get some of these! I saw them at the grocery last week and didn't get any. Now I am bummed. Next trip I will get some.

Does anyone know if these freeze well? What I mean is, sometimes I will make up a bag of apple pie or apple crisp filling and freeze it when apples are in season. Then pull it out over the winter. Any idea?

PSP Orange
10-14-2009, 10:54 PM
Is it just me but I love these too...

Now I want you when you bite into the next one to ask yourself...
What combinations of tastes does it remind you of?

Put two tastes together, or the apple and a hint of what ??? does it taste like.

I want some unbiased opinions before I reveal my thoughts...
What is the combining taste ? It has a hint of what in your opinion?

The Orange One

ps. I don't think it's an orange, really

caitybates
10-14-2009, 10:55 PM
ooh i dont recall ever trying this specific type but im definitely going to seek some tomorrow!

Jane
10-14-2009, 11:41 PM
In my area, there is only one orchard that grows Honey Crisps, and when they're ready, I make a bee-line to get some. The price here is $21.00 a peck. I bought 2 pecks this year, so I can share with others. I like to think I'm buying them with money that I used to squander on junk food.

paris81
10-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Yes! I love them! I used to only eat apples because they were convienent and portable, but with the Honeycrisps, I actually enjoy them!

I first tried it when I moved to Minneapolis-big deal here because it was the University of Minnesota that "created" them.

I used to dip them in caramel sauce--no more! So sad. Oh well, it's worth it.

kaplods
10-16-2009, 04:42 PM
I have Smucker's sugar free caramel sauce in the fridge, and I use it as an apple-dip, carefully measuring out the 2 tablespoons (70 calories), which counts in my exchange plan as a "carbohydrate exchange."

Generally, though I only use it on "inferior" apples. I slice my apple, taste it, and only then decide if I want caramel sauce. I tried it on a honeycrisp, and I won't do that again. It was good, but the strong flavor/sweetness of caramel obliterated the uniqueness of the honeycrisp.

Wolf Goddess
10-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Honeycrisps are my favorite eating apple, though I only buy them as a treat when I can find them in the store.

rockinrobin
10-16-2009, 05:12 PM
I looked in several stores today and sadly I could not find the Honey Crisp. I was terribly disappointed. :(

Tealeaf
10-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I have Smucker's sugar free caramel sauce in the fridge, and I use it as an apple-dip, carefully measuring out the 2 tablespoons (70 calories), which counts in my exchange plan as a "carbohydrate exchange."

This is a great idea, Kaplods. I lurve me some caramel apples, but don't really like the idea of tossing back 300 calories to enjoy one. I hope I can find this product out here in the wilds of rural Missouri.

gailr42
10-16-2009, 08:21 PM
I bought some honey crisp last time the subject came up on here. The ones I got were very, very sour. I don't like Granny Smith, so I didn't like the honey crisp. Did I get bad ones or are you all sour apple lovers? I know lots of people like sour apples. I think they call them "tart". Shiver!!! LOL. I like Fuji and Gala.

kaplods
10-16-2009, 08:43 PM
I bought some honey crisp last time the subject came up on here. The ones I got were very, very sour. I don't like Granny Smith, so I didn't like the honey crisp. Did I get bad ones or are you all sour apple lovers? I know lots of people like sour apples. I think they call them "tart". Shiver!!! LOL. I like Fuji and Gala.

Good honecrisps are very sour - but not like a Granny Smith, because they're sweet too. To use a Fuji for comparison, Honey Crisp are more sour, but they're sweeter too.

I have noticed in the batch that I have now (or rather, just finished this afternoon), there were a couple apples in the bag of Honeycrisp that were more on the sour than the sweet side. I do like tart apples though, even if they're not sweet, so a sour Honeycrisp still tastes pretty good to me. Growing up, we had an apple tree in our back yard. It grew small green apples, that would barely get a tiny blush of pink - and they were so sour they made Granny Smiths seem sweet.

HotWings
10-16-2009, 09:04 PM
I grabbed some up today to try them. Oh my.. this is probably the best apple I have ever eaten. Very yummy.. almost like dessert for me! Thanks so much for mentioning them.. will definitely stay on the lookout at the store for these. :yes:

CLCSC145
10-17-2009, 05:39 PM
Is it just me but I love these too...

Now I want you when you bite into the next one to ask yourself...
What combinations of tastes does it remind you of?

Put two tastes together, or the apple and a hint of what ??? does it taste like.

I want some unbiased opinions before I reveal my thoughts...
What is the combining taste ? It has a hint of what in your opinion?

The Orange One

ps. I don't think it's an orange, really

I gave this a lot of thought today while I had one for lunch (I'm weird, I know :D) and I think they taste just like Apple Jolly Rancher hard candies. I've never thought that apple flavored candy tasted like apples, but these are the closest match I've come across. I think they also have a slight grapey flavor too.

ANOther
10-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Ah-h, the Honeycrisp. The U of Minnesota's gift to mankind. Unfortunately I'm not much of an apple eater, unless it's diced and bunged into a salad

PSP Orange
10-17-2009, 08:53 PM
I gave this a lot of thought today while I had one for lunch (I'm weird, I know :D) and I think they taste just like Apple Jolly Rancher hard candies. I've never thought that apple flavored candy tasted like apples, but these are the closest match I've come across. I think they also have a slight grapey flavor too.

Hmm... for me the most recent peck I came across...

Wonderful apples - with just a hint of bartlett pear ....

Think about that the next bite you take... weird but true to me

The Orange One

ps.. I don't think your weird at all ;)

mayness
10-19-2009, 11:56 AM
I just learned about a pretty new variety called "Candy Crisp" over the weekend... I think it's a cross of Honeycrisp and golden delicious. They're a hit with customers at my in-laws' apple farm. They're definitely sweeter than Honeycrisp (a little too sweet for me) but have a similar flavor.

duqserb
10-19-2009, 03:15 PM
I just ate a honeycrisp apple the size of a softball...it was AWESOME lol Although now I'm a bit sad because that was the last of my honeycrisp and now I have to finish off a whole bag of golden michigan apples before I go to buy more honeycrisp :-( lol

~D~

Thighs Be Gone
10-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Found a bag of Organic Honey Crisp just yesterday--

3lbs/$4

YAY! They are small and very sweet!

Btw, the small ones I found are the Colorado variety.

kaplods
10-19-2009, 03:23 PM
We just got back from a grocery run, and bought another 3.5 lb bag at Aldi's. They were 50 cents more than last week, but still only $4.49 a bag, so about $1.30 per pound - only 10 cents more per lb. than the Gala.

I like my apples really cold, so they're in the fridge, and my mouth is already watering in anticipation.

nelie
10-19-2009, 04:27 PM
I never cared much for apples but they are growing on me. I used to be much more of a plum/nectarine girl.

I do include honeycrisps in my apple rotation but honestly, I don't think they are anything special. I like Rome apples a lot though and tend to buy those more than others.

There is an apple farm near me and that has been where I've been buying my apples. They are really good and I like the variety and they have varieties not available in the store.