General chatter - the media is making me ill (rant)

View Full Version : the media is making me ill (rant)

juliastl27
10-11-2009, 09:36 PM
im watching a show on eating disorders and models. i think we all need to remember that not so long ago the most beautiful woman in the world was a size 14

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad129/juliacxe/Marilyn-Monroe-oversized-postcard--.jpg

i want to be thin and healthy as much as we all do, but i think its time that we start teaching our daughters that this

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad129/juliacxe/runway.jpg

is neither healthy or attractive.

AR4life
10-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Right on!!!!

That poor girl is starving :( is she one of the modeling sisters that died?

Marilyn Monroe was beautiful, curves in all the right places. :)

georgiad
10-11-2009, 09:56 PM
I know it isn't part of the point you're making, but the emaciated girl in your thread is photoshopped, this is the original on the right: http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj30/justinphelps1987/PhotoshopThin.jpg

While the unphotoshopped girl is still thin, it isn't helpful for you to see photoshopped women and think they're real :)

juliastl27
10-11-2009, 10:08 PM
its even more despicable in my opinion that they photoshopped her to make her look even more underweight.

either way, i think marilyn looks way better.

Onederchic
10-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Marilyn was very sexy indeed :)

sidhe
10-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Not to diminish your point at all (I think the 'modern' model is disgusting), but we need to keep in mind that Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 for her time. A size 14 in the 1940s would be approximately a size 10 today. Yes, she had more on her than the average model/actress today, but she was still relatively small.

Civakas
10-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Not to diminish your point at all (I think the 'modern' model is disgusting), but we need to keep in mind that Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 for her time. A size 14 in the 1940s would be approximately a size 10 today. Yes, she had more on her than the average model/actress today, but she was still relatively small.

According to Snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.asp), she would be a size 8 by today's standards.

But I agree, modern models are way too skinny.

mags
10-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I think Marilyn was also pretty short, which makes a difference in how dress size looks. A friend of mine met her on a USO tour and said that she was tiny.

juliastl27
10-11-2009, 10:58 PM
regardless of what size anyone was/is look at the difference in bodies. look at marilyns waist and thighs. i dont recall seeing any non plus sized models that look like her in recent history.

and my point wasn't really to quibble about who is what size, i couldve inserted any actress from her era next to any model of today. i was saying that women didnt used to have to be 5'11 and 90 lbs to be considered attractive. ;)

Onederchic
10-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I agree Julia!!

sidhe
10-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Oh, totally agree, Julia! :)

DanaLou
10-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Curves are beautiful and so is healthy :)

nelie
10-12-2009, 12:22 AM
its even more despicable in my opinion that they photoshopped her to make her look even more underweight.

either way, i think marilyn looks way better.

The 'they' that photoshopped the picture was someone trying to show an extreme underweight model, not something actually presented by the media. I also think we discussed this picture a while back but I could be wrong.

I think there have been issues the modeling industry and their unrealistic portrayals of women. I also think they are trying to change that somewhat but it is probably something that will take time.

For the most part though, I think high fashion doesn't care about the average woman or their wants/desires.

ringmaster
10-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Thank goodness that model is photoshopped..I was thinking how could they even let her walk down a runway like that and not say anything or call to get her help.

Heather
10-12-2009, 12:31 AM
I just want to remind everyone that we need to be careful not to bash people for how they look, no matter their weight.

But I do agree that the media can really be a problem here, as it helps create unrealistic expectations about what is attractive, and about what is possible for most of us.

mllek
10-12-2009, 12:43 AM
This reminds me of the movie "Real Women Have Curves." It's worth seeing - Netflix has it.

I have to add something here - I was watching one of the idiotic shows on E! where people sit around and criticize celebrities as they walk the red carpet. This fellow (don't know who he was - maybe a clothing designer?) made a comment about Teri Hatcher (who is lovely and in no way fat) to the effect her dress showed how big she was. Big????? Compared to what? Yes, compared to a paper doll, she's huge. OMG.

What in the world is going on here? Most "fashion" on the runway in still designed by men. Then, very, very tall and very young women who usually are quite underweight and have very slim hips put the clothes on and their pictures are plastered into magazines. These pictures are then airbrushed, skin is made poreless, noses thinned, irises made turquoise blue - sclera is whitened. Then we ladies are supposed to buy these magazine and DO WHAT WITH THEM???????

Sorry for the rant. This kind of thing just gets me.

duckyyellowfeet
10-12-2009, 01:16 AM
I'd honestly rather see the media shift away from this thin vs. fat discussion in general. Marilyn was beautiful, there is no denying that, but beauty fades quickly.

I'd rather see a culture that focuses on what women are outside of their looks and reminds the next generation that intelligence, inner-beauty and kindness are the traits that really matter. Some women are naturally thin, others will be curvier but developing character should be the most important lesson.

juliastl27
10-12-2009, 02:12 AM
I just want to remind everyone that we need to be careful not to bash people for how they look, no matter their weight.

But I do agree that the media can really be a problem here, as it helps create unrealistic expectations about what is attractive, and about what is possible for most of us.

i was in no way calling the model unattractive, im sorry if it came out like that. i think she is quite beautiful, i think most models are quite beautiful, i just wish they didnt have so much pressure to be SO thin. so many models turn to drugs or have eating disorders because our society has turned into one where a size 10 (or even 8 or 6) is "fat" for a model.

I'd rather see a culture that focuses on what women are outside of their looks and reminds the next generation that intelligence, inner-beauty and kindness are the traits that really matter. Some women are naturally thin, others will be curvier but developing character should be the most important lesson.

agreed. if women didnt feel that they HAD to be attractive because of the media, and if our society didnt put so much emphasis on looks, we'd all be a lot happier.

Stella
10-12-2009, 02:54 AM
I think a healthy medium is best. I read an interesting article on changing shapes recently, and an elderly lady said that, when she was young, most women looked like Marilyn or Liz Taylor, etc, while today, most women seem to be either too thin or too large, but all onsessed with their weight.

cinderpa
10-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Just yesterday I read where a top fashion designer, who's name escapes me right now, said he prefers skinny models because no one wants to look at a woman with curves! I was soooooo mad I couldn't even finish reading the article. From what I've seen anyway of their fashion designs, I don't think any woman regardless of age or size would be caught dead in their clothes. They are not made for the "real" woman.

Stella
10-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Just yesterday I read where a top fashion designer, who's name escapes me right now, said he prefers skinny models because no one wants to look at a woman with curves! I was soooooo mad I couldn't even finish reading the article. From what I've seen anyway of their fashion designs, I don't think any woman regardless of age or size would be caught dead in their clothes. They are not made for the "real" woman.

Maybe the fashion designer is afraid that the curves distract from his clothes than being afraid that people don`t want to look at them?

mayness
10-14-2009, 05:35 PM

I've heard that most designers are more like what Stella said - that they choose the super-skinny models because most people DO like to look at women with curves, and it takes focus away from the clothing. (I'm not sure why they aren't just rolling the clothing out on hangers if that's the case, but then, I'm not in the fashion industry. :p) Just think about how different the shape of a Victoria's Secret model is - they're selling the sexy "look" more than the actual items of clothing, so they want to distract us with women with curvier shapes.

cinderpa
10-15-2009, 12:57 PM
I've never looked at it that way. You are both probably right! It is a shame tho that the fashion industry is still sending out the wrong message to young girls and women that you can't look good in the clothing unless you are very skiny. Maybe they should design clothing that actually looks and fits good on the average curvy woman. :D

JulieJ08
10-15-2009, 01:24 PM
A think a lot of it, both consciously and unconsciously, is that the big bucks in fashion are not made off of healthy, confident women whose personal and financial priorities and self-worth are not wrapped up in social approval and a willingness to spend tons of money, wear shoes that injure their feet, and starve themselves. Demanding unrealistic thinness is just another way of keeping their customer base under their mind control.

Smilette31
10-15-2009, 01:36 PM

It was Karl Lagerfeld that said that. I remember reading the same article. I was disgusted with what he had to say in the article. He said that women who complain about too skinny models are just fat and jealous. This all came about because a german magazine committed to not using real models anymore for their magazine but instead REAL women ... real sizes. Also, Glamour has committed to using models of all sizes including plus size. I cant remember the link but I'm sure if you put his name and skinny model in any search engine you'll find the article.

cinderpa
10-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Yes Smilette you are right. That was the designer I was trying to think of. So glad to hear that some venues such as Glamour are starting to break the skinny only models rule and reach out to the real buying public.

lizziep
10-15-2009, 02:29 PM
and then yesterday i saw the news that a size four model was fired for not being thin enough. at five foot ten and 120 lbs her bmi places her at underweight. and she's still not thin enough.
how can anyone trying to lose weight even hope to attain a good idea of what normal is when this is what we are bombarded with?!

Shannon in ATL
10-15-2009, 02:57 PM
The model fired for her weight was the one who was airbrushed on a magazine cover so her head actually looked bigger than her hips. Ralph Lauren was the company, Fillipa Hamilton was the model.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/109589/original.jpg

Link to the airbrush story. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/09/emboing-boingem-and-ralph_n_311593.html)

Link to the fired story. (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/14/filippa-hamilton-ralph-la_n_320396.html)

Smilette31
10-15-2009, 03:22 PM
and then yesterday i saw the news that a size four model was fired for not being thin enough. at five foot ten and 120 lbs her bmi places her at underweight. and she's still not thin enough.
how can anyone trying to lose weight even hope to attain a good idea of what normal is when this is what we are bombarded with?!

Very true Lizzie. Plus I think that SOMEtimes when people finally get to a healthy weight, they aren't satisfied because their bodies don't look as thin as that size 00 in the magazine. Case in point, my cousin had gastric bypass surgery about 2 1/2 years ago. She was about 300 lbs. Fast forward a year and half later and she was down to 155. She looked GREAT!!! She kept saying she needed to lose 35-45 more lbs. I was thinking in my head " from where??? " but didn't say anything. I saw her a few months later and she looked so thin and sickly looking. I asked my aunt what was going on and she said that my cousin became so obsessed about being at a certain weight that she didnt stop to think what was ideal for HER body. A year later now and shes being treated by doctors and in therapy for an eating disorder because she still thinks even at 115 lbs now that shes still not thin enough. Plus all of this is causing medical complications due to the gastic bypass as well. When Ive spoken with her over the past year she just keeps saying that shes fat and if we are watching tv or theres a magazine near ... shell point out a stick thin model ... and keep telling me that THAT is thin ... and then point at herself and say " this is fat ".

Shannon in ATL
10-15-2009, 03:44 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GmJpjxG1ytg/SaMf1payduI/AAAAAAAAAPY/6v7qXEXfArA/s400/sophia-loren2.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GmJpjxG1ytg/SaMf1-Qq_8I/AAAAAAAAAPg/1gJh3k4-FJo/s400/sophia+loren1.jpg

Sophia Loren - 38C-24-38

This thread has sent me a-googling. Just wanted to post these pics. I love love love Sophia Loren. :)