Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #1  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Default TOM is the :devil: - advice?!?!

Well I was doing pretty well...until TOM came.

I had uncontrollable cravings among the nasiest cramps ever. I felt horrible. My skin, my body and all I could think about was eating the grossiest things in sight. Even thinking about going to the gym wasn't an option.

Wondering if it was so bad because of how good I have been doing all month. Wondering if I should go back on birth control to control it. I can't turn into this horrible monster every month and I almost feel like I took huge steps back from all the bad habits and weight I lost in the month leading up to TOM.

All I could do is lay down and sleep when I wasn't eating Now that's it's gone I am having a hard time even getting motivated again to get to the gym and eat good again...so disappointing!

Anyone here get TOM really bad like this and share some advice how I can prepare myself for next month?
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #2  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

It seems like if we are so much more hungry during our TOM, maybe it's because our bodies are burning up so much with all that's going on and actually need more. Maybe you could try planning to eat a little more on those days. Maybe it you plan to eat a little more, even an extra treat or two, you can limit it to that and prevent an all out binge?
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #3  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

yeah my TOM is particularly hard for me also. keeping eating when you feel like crap is so hard. i dont FEEL like preparing good food, im like, hand me the doritos!

any time you go off plan (esp for more than a meal or day), its SO hard to get back on. just do it tomorrow. dont worry about the next day or the day after, just worry about staying on plan tomorrow. then you can worry about the next day and etc.

usually if i get a few good days under my belt (even if im fighting the urge to scarf down everything in site during them) it gets easier. ::hugs::
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:57 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Staccie View Post

I had uncontrollable cravings
That's just the thing. Cravings ARE controllable. There is no such thing as an UNcontrollable craving. YOU just have to learn how to control them and NOT give into them. Once you pronounce them *uncontrollable*, well that's what they BECOME. Stop telling yourself that they ARE uncontrollable, because it's like you're giving yourself permission to give into them. And that's a shame. Because TOM will be here every single month. And you can do a lot of damage during that time. Wanting something is no longer relevant. Not when you want something even MORE (good health). Don't let your priorities fly out the window, merely because you want a temporary fix.

You don't have to give into a craving. Just because you want something doesn't mean you HAVE to have it. Nothing terrible will happen to you if you don't give into it. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. You want it. You don't have it, because you are a health minded person. You eat responsibly, sensibly and maturely. TOM is no different. It certainly may be more of a challenge, but you've got to step up to meet it.

The control will never fall into your lap. You've got to get out there and TAKE IT. Don't give the food that much power. Cravings can be strong, but have no doubt - you are stronger.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #5  

Ugh word. I haven't had one for awhile(birth control), but my medication apparently renders birth control somewhat useless. I am just curling up with my horrid cramps today and pretending that my grapes are chocolate.
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 222/213/125

Height: 5'3"

Default You Rock!!! Thank You For Your Motivation!!!!

I just wanted to tell you that I look forward to your posts because they are so motivational and right on cue for me, "weightloss is what it is, so just do it attitude" and I love it, Thank you for all the posts you give ! Have a great day!
Angiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 205/162/130

Height: 5'4"

I am going to have to TOTALLY agree with Robin-as usual. hehe... When I am on plan with my food and my exercise, I am stronger than the cravings. Its almost like a game to me...can she or can't she...? And the last three days...I DID!! I ran 5 days this week (knowing that TOM was coming) and really paid attention to my food "cravings". Yesterday while out doing errands, after my weights and my run, I was "craving" chocolate. Bad. Was at the dollar store where cheap chocolate is everywhere...literally. I wanted some, so I went over to the little isle over by the cash registers. I didn't want to get a whole bar, cause I knew I didn't want to eat a whole one. I just wanted a taste. So, I bought 3 Lindt Lindor balls. Brought them home. Ate 1. Yes, just one. And it was Good! But you know what. I stopped at that 1. I had been pretty much on plan for the last two weeks and I was not going to ruin it by eating all of them. Right now the other 2 are staring me in the face sitting in from of the computer. I don't want them. "Craving" gone...as I knew it would be.(I started very late Thursday night..) And I woke up this morning a whole pound lighter than yesterday. That never would have happened if I had given in to the "craving"...I just called it what it was and decided that I was stronger than it. Period. I don't know if this helps you or not,,,,its just how I have learned to get past it...YOU CAN DO IT!! I BELIEVE IN YOU!!!
Plainsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #8  
Brown Eyed Staccie

Thanks so much, and you are right - cravings are controllable. Changing my state of mind and putting myself in control (aka, throwing a water balloon at the cravings devil sitting on my right hand shoulder) is key.

I can't afford to fall off my plan for a week every month!!

I am going to do much better during TOM next week and now allow this to happen again!!! Thanks so much ladies!!!!
Old 10-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #9  
Rawr!

S/C/G: 210/122.2/130

Height: 5'2"-5'3"

I just got over a really bad TOM. Cravings, cramps, and crabyness (the 3 c's) in great abundance. I even got 2 migraines (one to welcome TOM and one to send TOM on it's way), that I haven't gotten for a while now, so it was extra frustrating.

It was very hard, in fact this was probably one of my hardest TOM's since I changed my lifestyle but I fought it all off. I held on very very tight to the knowledge of how I would feel pulling away from this on top and on plan.

It's hard, but if you can over come it, you'll be empowered! Knowing you can overcome even the nastiest of TOM's will make the rest of the month that much easier.

I know next month you'll do great, it's only a week and once it's over you'll feel better than ever!

P.S. rockinrobin . . I love you, you have the best way of putting things!
MeowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Staccie View Post
Thanks so much, and you are right - cravings are controllable. Changing my state of mind and putting myself in control (aka, throwing a water balloon at the cravings devil sitting on my right hand shoulder) is key.
Atta girl. Change you mind frame. Change your attitude. And change your LIFE.

If cravings weren't controllable then none of us here would have ever hit goal or even gotten anywhere near it. Heck, I'll go out on a limb here and take it a step further. If cravings weren't controllable, I'm pretty certain most of us here wouldn't have even lost a single solitary pound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMix View Post

P.S. rockinrobin . . I love you, you have the best way of putting things!
Oh my gosh. Thank you so much. That's a lovely compliment. Thank you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #11  
Brown Eyed Staccie

Rockin Robin - thank so much. Your words are very inspiring!! It's so hard to change my frame of mind sometimes but I know I can do it. I just need to find ways to tell myself that I can control the craving and that giving in is not worth it...
Old 10-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

I've been going through all of this but in my case its PMS. Massive craving from chocolate and fudge sundaes. On saturday, I gave in to a craving and loved it till I got home and recorded it and saw the damage. :-(
My TOM supposed to be today, I want it to hurry up and come already. I feel as though as if I would satisfy my body's craving for food, I would be a bottomless pit.
Thank goodness, I have had some self control to get through this time.
I bet we all wish there was an off switch during this time, huh? LOL
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #13  
Brown Eyed Staccie

An off switch would be great! Guys are so lucky - no PMS, no TOM, and they lose weight so quick. But then again women do have it pretty good!

I am bound and determined to face TOM head on next month and not mess up like I did this month!!! In the meantime, I am going to the doctor to get checked out, how sick I was - I don't think is natural at all.

Anyone else have issues with cramps, and such that make you dizzy, and sick? Mine are usually bad but maybe because I was exercising and eating well all month prior it made a difference, but it was god awful!!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #14  

I get cramps that are so painful I throw up. As in the PAIN makes me vomit. I get sick and dizzy and am out of commission for a couple days. It got so bad my gyno wrote me a Vicodin prescription. Thank goodness for birth control.

I would talk to the doc. You shouldn't get sick from TOM.
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #15  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Default Dong quai

I've been using dong quai for my PMS and it has helped a lot!
icmethinner is offline   Reply With Quote