General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 12:24 PM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down Prevention Millennium Diet #92

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed
42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:31 PM   #2  
Chick

Default Welcome,

to PMD #92.

Though those of us that post on this thread alter this diet unmercifully, I continue to use it to begin this thread because I believe it is a great diet covering all the bases of good and healthy nutrition. I initially lost 40 lbs. following the PMD. I have regained a bit, relost it, regained...... You know, the same old story. But that is just me. And I NEVER have just decided what's the use? I don't care if I'm fat - not for long anyway. At the moment I am doing something much looser than following this diet verbatim, I need a change to get myself going again. Still, I plan to continue posting under this thread title because if I had to offer a diet to a less jaded dieter than myself, this is the one I would offer.

Please feel free to join in on our ongoing trials and tribulations here at the PMD thread.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:50 PM   #3  

Default more trials and tribulations...

Ledom, you are right...I too alter etc. but it is still my guiding light and it is where I aim to eat especially in the number of fruit and vegetables. When I think about it I realize a lot of the things that I used to like to eat have fallen by the wayside since I first heard of this diet. I don't even crave them anymore. I read "Prevention" religiously too.

Alice, thunderstorms...I love them, we rarely get them just non stop drizzley rain. I remember them from growing up on the prairies. My dad used to make us shut off all the lights and tv etc. He was so scared of them...course he had a sister that was hit by lightning (and lived). She was standing under a tree !!
Old 07-17-2002, 11:50 AM   #4  
Chick

Default Good morning,

not too much exciting going on here. It has been raining for 2 days, very unlike what we are used to this time of year. It is really nice because we needed it plus it is keeping temps down. The only thing, tomorrow the sun is going to come out and it will be hot and steamy. Ah well, we're used to it.

For the last week I have been doing great with my eating. It is a state of mind that is helping me out and I am really trying to hang on to it and make it a way of life. The idea is to never really be full and to always be just a tiny bit hungry. I guess it is part of the goal of trying to "shrink my stomach". It does take some concentration on my part. I have been drinking lots of water between meals and useing my new discovery of low cal popsicles when I think I just have to have something. I am eating 3 healthy meals a day but I am noticing how much food is on my plate. I am eating serving sizes that "look" a certain size. It harks back to what you said Alice about the best diet being the one where you eat what you normally would, just smaller portions. I have paddled and walked the last 3 days as well. Really pretty mild exercise, but exercise all the same.

D and I will be leaving for our trip tomorrow so I'll be out of touch until Sat.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:05 PM   #5  

Have a great trip Ledom. Where are you going???

Morning Alice!

I am off today to town so I have to run.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:49 AM   #6  

Angry Even more trials and tribulations.....

It's a humid & drizzly day. It's supposed to be like this most of the day, so I'm home doing some laundry. A GF of my cousin's is with her this week, so they'll probably be off adding to the NH economy

My cousin's friend loaned me a book called The Hormone Connection, from Rodale books. I've been reading it and it does have some sound advice for balancing your hormones. Plus it has a sound eating plan. They suggest you eat 5-6 smaller meals a day, between 250 & 350 calories, eating more protein and less of carbs, and if you do eat carbs, eat the low-glycemic type rather than the high-glycemic (white bread, and fried potatoes). They also suggest you think of your plate as the face of a clock. Between 12 & 5 o'clock fill with protein, between 8 & 12 o'clock fill with low-glycemic carbs, between 5 & 6 o'clock fill with a tablesp. of fat or oil, like unsalted butter, and between 6 & 7 o'clock a fat containing food or treat. I have ordered the book from the Prevention site.

ledom, where are you & your D going on your trip? I hope you have a great time!

judi, did you get the hot & steamy weather? It started getting steamy yesterday afternoon, but not very hot. Tomorrow it's supposed to be cooler again, in the 70's. This is truly a very weird summer.

Take care and have a great day.
Old 07-18-2002, 07:56 PM   #7  

Default Hi!

Alice, it is very muggy here but we are supposed to have no rain for over the weekend.

That diet you described sounds very interesting! Rodale are such good publishers, I have a few books from them.

Bentley has got warts
They have to leave them alone until he gets older and then they will take them off. Poor little dog. He is supposed to build up an immunity by leaving there there I don't see how that is going to happen, they are spreading and he is still on his potato perscription crunchies ( a reluctant vegan ).

Is Lacee enjoying the time at the cabin?

Hope your cousin and friend are enjoying shopping. My D and I went shopping yesterday. There was a tiny cross, made of 15 tiny (VERY tiny) diamonds and I wanted to get her something special for awhile. We went halves on it and the best part it was 40% off!! She was so thrilled. It was so pretty on her. The chain was so delicate and beautifully made. Other than that I bought a few books and that was it. I have been making my self shop on the island for grocery trying to get my "food craziness" under control.

I treadmilled this morning but it is great weather for walking outside here and I should do that. Treadmilling is so much faster.
Are there places to walk by your lake?

Hope you are having fun on your trip Ledom!

Hi Shebacat! Let us know what you are up to if you are still out there!! You too, Lana!

Last edited by judi; 07-18-2002 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:03 AM   #8  

Angry Hey judi!

We have an excellent road to walk on down to the lake, but I'm ashamed to admit that I've only walked once . That was with Miz Lacee, and we race walked the whole way. That took the wind out of her sails!

Poor Bentley. Does your D trust this vet, or should she seek a second opinion? How old does he have to be before they can remove the warts? Keep me posted on how he's doing.

The cross sounds very lovely. I think that the more understated something is, the prettier it is. Don't you just love it when you get a bargain

Another thing I forgot to mention about that Rodale book, one trick is to eat a piece of protein , 1 oz. of cheese, for instance, 10 min. before you sit down to eat a meal. It fills you up so that you don't eat too much. Another thing, they suggested you eat your carbs. during the day and not with your evening meal.

It's a rather cloudy day, some sun, so I'm home doing another load of laundry. We're on the northern edge of some rain in the southern part of the state.

ledom, hope you are having fun.

Take care.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:47 AM   #9  

Default Good morning Alice!

re: Bentley
This vet is the 2nd opinion. They have to leave them for a few months. Plus, this doctor is much more careful about anesethising (sp.) Bostons than the last one seemed to be.

I can just see Lacee running down the path. Bentley loves to run at top speed through the house, from room to room, careening around corners. Marley never runs unless he is looking for trouble.

Hmm...that is a good tip with the protein...I will try that.

It is a nice day here. In the 70's. I have a gardner coming today. I am so happy with my garden this summer. Usually every year I spend a lot of money on new plants but this year I hardly bought any but spent the money on gardeners instead and it has made all the diff. I guess I should face it, I am not the type of gardener who loves to get her hands in the dirt. I love the seed catalogues, the nurseries and the horticultural books more. Now if only we could have more sun for the roses...I have a climbing rose that is called "Bridal Veil" it made of clusters of white roses with pink centres that is doing very well. It has managed to climb across the top of the garden fence and get some sun for itself. The garden really seems to create an aura of peace around the place.

Have a good day...I have to wash out wine bottles, we are bottling a french columbard tomorrow. First time we have made. It is a lighter white.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:18 AM   #10  
I'm back again

Hi all,

Please tell me about this diet....does it only have 2 servings of fish per week and 5 servings beans and nuts each per week? Where is the rest of the protein servings? I'm confused..... Is it a primarily vegetarian diet? I'm just wondering...I think I can get in all the fruits and veggies and the high calcium foods but not sure if the high calcium foods count as some of the protein requirements??......

I must have missed this Prevention issue so maybe you can help me. I appreciate the first thread beginning with the diet information but I am lost....

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2002, 04:40 PM   #11  
Chick

Default Hi brighterdays

Welcome to the PMD thread.

I don't know how successfully I can answer your ?, but I'll try. The published diet does not go into too much further detail than the outline I posted. I think a heavy meat eater might have problems with this diet but it works fine for me. You need to count calories along with getting all the required foods in and by doing some planning you can get your protein. I have tuna on my salad almost every day. Tofu is another lowcal source of protein. I eat a lot of chickpeas (hummus) and blackbeans. Meat is fine you just add it in where you can afford the calories. judi is a vegetarian so she might have some additional info for you. And Alice can probably help you some too.

Hey alice and judi, D and I had a great time. Literally shopped til we dropped on Friday, we were in the mall from 10-6 with about an hour off for lunch. By the end of the day we were ready for a quick swim and bed. We were just in the north part of the state, Fayetteville - we like the shopping there. It was a good get away.

It is finally HOT here. About 100 and humid. I did about an 8 mile paddle in the heat today with some stops to swim and cool off. I am headed for a nap now.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:40 PM   #12  

Default Welcome back Ledom!

Glad to hear you had a great time. Good for you doing the paddle as well...be careful though, I guess you people who live in the heat know how to handle it. I can't stand anything over the mid 80's. Frigid notherner Hehehe am I telling you more than you want to know...JUST

Welcome brighter days! You can probably back order the issue that the diet was in from Prevention. They also put out a small special edition on just the diet. I had it yesterday but I cleaned my desk and now I can't find anything I will continue to look and see if I can find the date it was put out.

Hi Alice! How was the weekend at the lake?
Old 07-22-2002, 06:57 AM   #13  

Angry Hi!

My cousin & I are heading out for breakfast shortly to have some pancakes. The place we go is an hr. drive north from where we are, but the pancakes are worth it. I don't know if you have ever heard of Polly's Pancake Parlor. It has been written up in all sorts of magazines. This is one of our yearly traditions.

ledom, welcome back. Glad that you & D had a good time on your trip. Did you find any good bargains on your shopping spree? Good for you getting some paddling in.

judi, Lacee loves to run...we don't call her Zoom-Zoom for nothing That's wonderful that you are enjoying your garden more. I love to get my hands dirty. I like to plant, but don't do very well weeding.

Welcome brighterdays, you can also look into Prevention's website to see if there is any info. on the diet, www.prevention.com

It's supposed to be in the 90's and humid today. I shall be spending the afternoon lakeside. Take care.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:28 AM   #14  
Chick

Default Hey girls,

judi, you are right about the heat. It was a lot hotter than I like to be out in. It was a group paddle which forces a later start than I prefer. I usually am out at 6 and back by 9 before the heat sets in. I have sun hat, sun screen, long sleeves, drinking water, and plenty of dips in the lake to cool off. Can't be too careful though.

Hey, I am doing really good with my eating. Miraculous! I even held my own while vacationing.

Yes, I found some good bargains at August Max. I have never shopped there before but they were having their sidewalk sale and I picked up some cute things. That was about it for clothes but I got to the great farmers market, the outdoor outfitters for a new camp coffee pot, lots of fun stuff.

I LOVE pancakes Alice, I hope you enjoy them.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:43 PM   #15  

Default Good morning girls!

Enjoy your pancakes Alice, eat one for me!!

That is great your doing well on your eating program, Ledom! It is wonderful when that happens.

I am managing to do better on my exercise, exercising at least every 2nd day. Today I even lifted weights Now my shoulders are aching. I really have to do it consistently. Are you still doing weight training?

Hey Alice, I was looking in a patron saint index and I found 3 patron saints for dogs and dog fanciers; St. Roch 1295-1327, St. Hubert bishop of Liege b. 727 and St. Vitus (?) and in the book of Tobit a dog accompanied the angel Raphael and Tobias on their journey. Who says dogs won't go to heaven

Have a good day everyone!
Closed Thread