Weight Loss Support - What is your favorite mental image of yourself @ goal weight?

yoovie
10-09-2009, 06:02 PM
http://belly-fatloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/girl_running.jpg

We are always told to keep our mind focused on the prize, to envision ourselves meeting our goals, whether it is a promotion, or weight loss, or an activity we want to accomplish.

I know this is especially true of weight loss. I sometimes complain to myself on days when I just can't seem to exercise at all, or make lots of bad food decisions, that reaching my weight goal must not be so important to me if I'm so lazy or unmotivated that I just don't even try. But it really is important to me. Sometimes it just seems that my mind is gear but my body can't keep up, or my body could totally handle it, but I can't get my brain to activate it. I hate those days.

I really hate those days, and I hate the guilt even more.

What do I love? I love the days when I have all the good images in my mind. Not the images of the fact that I'm the super tall fat girl that is head, shoulders, hips and tummy beyond all my peers (it's bad enough being the big girl, but being six inches taller just makes me feel like Andre the Giant on top of all of it). I love fashion and I look forward to shopping for my new body. I love walking around and lounging naked after sex, and I imagine how much nicer it will be when I'm smaller than the person I'm lounging next to. My final reward is to return to Europe and treat myself to my first trip to Rome, and I look forward to not being ashamed of how I look in my travel pictures. I imagine myself going back to the Appalacian trail and doing week-long hikes instead of just weekend hikes. But my favorite mental image?

My absolute favorite image of myself at goal weight is me in a sports bra and running shorts, nothing else, running though Central Park in the fall, the breeze in my face, whizzing past all the stuffy Upper East Siders, with a huge smile on my face and my ponytail swinging happily back and forth, my iPod cranked and legs are toned and healthy and my middle bit has stuck the finger to 'apple-shaped'. I can't wait to get to the Great Lawn and stretch and cool down and look back over my journey that got me there.

What is your favorite go-to mental image of yourself that keeps you on the wagon?

kisskisskill
10-09-2009, 06:24 PM
My favorite mental image is of me looking great in a beautiful wedding gown on the day I marry the man of my dreams. I just can't seem to picture that day with me being fat. Now that we have set an official date and are planning, it has been great motivation to stay on the wagon.

Another favorite mental image is me walking through a mall, trying on all the sexy clothes you see in the windows, and actually looking great in them!

yoovie
10-09-2009, 06:29 PM
oh heck yes, I can't wait to go shopping!

duckyyellowfeet
10-09-2009, 07:32 PM
oh man, this was fun.
Right now, I can't wait until I can go shopping with my friends and try on all of the ugly fashion that is out there...and being able to just try on clothes without having to go to a Plus-Sized store.

I also want to take pictures with my sisters and not have to hide behind people. I'm tired of just being the floating head behind everyone.

And finally, I can't wait to see the look on my best friend's face when she realizes that I'm finally thinner than she is

mom4life
10-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Shopping. I've been wearing the same clothes I wore 6 yrs ago. Mainly because I refused to buy my fat self clothes. I would like to be up to date again. LOL
The best image is my hubby and I renewing our vows next year. I'll be wearing the same dress. I've been wanting to do it but couldn't imagine doing it with all the extra weight.

yoovie
10-09-2009, 08:01 PM
I really needed this. I love hearing other people's best ideas about themselves. I have no patience for myself today. Being injured and not being able to run makes me feel like I am wasting time. Today is just one of those days where I want to be THERE already. I've been busting my butt for years :( I want some gratification so badly.

smisen
10-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Yep - the wedding dress... We haven't set a date yet, but it'll be sometime next summer. I want to be able to wear something form fitting and classy - not a big ballgown to cover up my thunder thighs... I mean, we're spending how much money on this thing? I want the pictures to be something I'll cherish forever - not a memorial of my overweight self :)

GradPhase
10-09-2009, 08:48 PM
I see myself as being skinny and productive!

Waking up at five am, making a green smoothie, going to the gym, going to work, (to a job I love, no less!) having to carry a black leather schedule book and "pencil" people in with dinner parties, movie nights, and more! I see myself as being savings-savvy and taking that coupon-clipping success and traveling the world with it. Especially being one of "those" people that can go on an entire adventure with just a carry-on bag. Because in my mind, when I'm skinny I'll be able to pack more versatile outfits that travel better, than the awkward-fitting, weird clothes I have now. I'll also have better hair and skin, so I won't need so many products to lug around! Skinny = Achieving fun, gorgeous, healthy looks with minimal effort.

We'll see how far that gets me... hahaha

yoovie
10-09-2009, 09:07 PM
i love all of that. dang that's hot!

Havisham
10-09-2009, 09:43 PM
I want to be able to wear a full business suit, jacket and all, and not feel tight and constricted and hot. I want to be able to take the stairs at work and not be exhausted and sweaty. I want to look as professional and accomplished as I am.

Thanks for posting this question - what a great one!

Aclai4067
10-09-2009, 10:17 PM
I've had a lot of dreams about running lately. Like I just start running and get like a mile without even being really tired. I really look forward to getting there. I don't have much endurance in running yet. But I'm already feeling like I've improved so much. It used to feel so unnatural to run even just a few yards across the street or something. Now I find myself jogging short little distances like that all the time without even thinking about it.

yoovie
10-09-2009, 11:46 PM
I love these <3

JasonsLea
10-10-2009, 02:20 AM
Since daydreaming is basically my profession, I have alot of images of my future skinny self. :D Mainly everyday things and things that would be everyday if I wasn't such a scaredy-cat. :^:

Ripping up the roadways on a motorcycle, looking fierce in a torqued-out truck. I envision my hair longer (and frizz free!) and my *** rockin. I totally own the fitted jeans and knee high boots.

I could go on and on and on.....

caryesings
10-10-2009, 10:01 AM
This question just stunned me. I realize I have no vision of my future self in mind. Wonder why?

polarisx89
10-10-2009, 10:09 AM
My boyfriend of 3 years passed away three months ago...he loved me regardless of my weight, but I still always wanted him to get to see me thin. He had this thing about girls wearing stripes (haha), but I always felt too fat to wear them. I'm a firm believer in some kind of afterlife, so I'd like to visit his grave wearing something fabulous and striped once I reach goal.

I realize that's kind of a sad vision, but I think it'll give me some peace of mind.

whip1
10-10-2009, 10:17 AM
my vision is walking tall ,feeling great and going shopping and not needing to go to the plus size section.
has anyone noticed that the plus sizes seem to use the butt ugliest fabric patterns this stuff wouldn't even look good on twiggy.....

polar sorry for your loss..:(

Pita09
10-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Oh how I long to be out of the plus size section and over where the cute clothes live!!

My dreams are to look fabulous and sexy. Next year my boyfriends youngest son is getting married and I'm invited. This means I will meet the ex-wife for the first time. And while I certaintly don't want to cause the woman any ill feelings (although she will have them from what I've learned of her), I want to be thin and beautiful. I want to walk in on my boyfriend's arm knowing that I look and feel incredible. It will be fun to see his son's again as a much thinner person as well.

I also hope to have my own wedding someday and for that I HAVE to look amazing. A simple dress that shows off my slim, tone body will be perfect.

yoovie
10-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Polaris! I think that is an absolutely beautiful and wonderful inspirational daydream. I think it is attainable too, I love that!

I also really love how almost everyone's daydreams here seem to revolve around them having control of their life, enjoying that freedom and power and harnessing their inner beauty to show it on the outside. That's just so beautiful to me.

CJZee
10-10-2009, 03:26 PM
In "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle", Tom Venuto says you should make a list of positive affirmations of what you want to accomplish and read them (or write them out again) every day to reinforce them and get your "unconscious mind" to implement them automatically.

So .... one of my affirmations is:

"I love thinking about having a body like Sophia Loren when she was younger."

I used to have a body like Sophia Loren when she was younger and heavier than she is now (except, sigh, I have bigger boobs). So, every day when I read the above affirmation, I open up my 10 pictures of a young, curvy Sophia Loren and scroll though them, imagining myself with this body which I know I can achieve (except for the aforementioned boob issue.) This is very satisfying to me.

Here is one of them:

blueridgegirl
10-10-2009, 07:23 PM
This is a great question, and I've enjoyed reading all the responses. I mean, if we don't know where we want to be, how are we going to get there?

Several images come to mind: me doing capoeira in something that shows my midriff, me totally ruling at indoor rock-climbing in something that shows my midriff, and me running in race, 5k or 10k, in (you guessed it) something that shows my midriff. Not to sound trivial, but I've always been ashamed of the belly, you know, so being able to work out in a sports bra and shorts would be pretty dramatic for me. Also the upper arm factor plays in here - toned and no arm flab, right?

I know I am never going to be fashion-model skinny, or even close to it. I just want to be strong, healthy, powerful, and athletic. Flipping through magazines like Runner's World or other health and fitness magazines help to inspire me. I am intelligent, successful in my chosen career, and have been able to achieve a lot in other areas of my life, so I want a body that reflects that.

My sweetie loves me no matter my size, but I also like to envision pictures of us where I'm not bigger than him - he's my height, 150, and all muscle.

Alright...let's keep envisioning it and making it happen!

mateosmama2005
10-10-2009, 07:34 PM
I imagine myself in skinny jeans, HEELS (Which i've NEVER had a chance to try) and a nice fitted tank top or shirt. Going to outings, get togethers and feel like the pretty one. Not the over weight one IN MENS T-SHIRTS AND STRETCH PANTS!!! I imagine my boyfriend walking around and showing off his HOTT girlfriend hehehe! :carrot: Love this forum, just gave me the extra boost :)

Oh and I shouldn't forget....PAMPERING MYSELF!! Getting my nails and toenails done, getting my hair done, going tanning...AND SUMMER!!! TO SHOW OFF MY TATTOOS AND BE IN THE CUTE TANK TOP AND SHORTS!!!!

Arctic Mama
10-10-2009, 07:56 PM
I love picturing myself with my hair grown out to classic length (I'm on my way :)) swinging in a long braid, wearing a nice fitted top and long, twirly skirt. I'm a total girly girl but right now such clothes emphasize my worst points, so I am looking forward to looking hot in them again.

I also picture myself cycling up the mountain to Independence mine (very tough ride) in full cycling gear AND spandex, looking strong and healthy.

SUCH great mental images!

Katarina
10-10-2009, 08:21 PM
My husband is a photographer. Early in our relationship he did a few photo shoots of me, and I still have the pictures (that was 5 years ago). I want to look like I did back then. I remember calling him 5 years ago when I went into a clothing store and was able to fit into a size 10. I felt amazing being able to wear that size...I want to put that suit back on.

emilydreaming
10-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Me in a pair of skinny jeans and a v-neck traveling with my husband - wine tasting in California, running around big cities in Europe, hiking in the mountains in North Carolina - without being tired or afraid to do things because of my weight.

polarisx89
10-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Yoovie, thanks for the kind words!

I think all of these dreams sound amazing...and I do love that they all reflect us taking control of our lives in more ways than one.

JackiG
10-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Great thread! :)

I see myself being healthy and fit. Traveling with my dh, exploring the world and never feeling tired. Being able to wear anything, while looking and feeling great!

Stella
10-11-2009, 09:28 AM
I`m job hunting. Recently I applied for something I really wanted but got turned down (just - they said it was very close :-(). I still want that job and dream of the same one coming up again (maybe, because the successful applicant did not like it after all?).

So my dream is my first day in that job. I wear a black, fitted skirt suit and high heels, hair and make up are impeccable, as is my work, and I`ll quickly climb even further.

whip1
10-11-2009, 10:03 AM
sorry this is off topic but I keep seeing people saying things like traveing with my dh sorry but what is a dh?????

dutchgirl
10-11-2009, 11:06 AM
sorry this is off topic but I keep seeing people saying things like traveing with my dh sorry but what is a dh?????

It means Dear Husband (and occasionally darn husband:D )

whip1
10-11-2009, 11:13 AM
It means Dear Husband (and occasionally darn husband:D )
Thank you!!!:D

Sunnigummi
10-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I'd like to wear skirt suits and not worry about it making me look stocky (below the knee does that to me) or chicken-legged (big hips, skinny calves). I'm sick of wearing pants and jeans. I'd like to wear dresses in the summer and to weddings/receptions and look good.

The ONE image of myself is wearing a bikini with a flat tummy and curvy, but not fat, hips. :D That image helps me stay away from all the bad snack foods. :p

JustBeckyV
10-11-2009, 12:03 PM
My image is like those girls in the tank top and jammie pants. Their arms are toned -- tummies flat!! That's where I wanna be!

yoovie
10-11-2009, 03:45 PM
I also think its awesome that so many of us see ourselves either exercising or dancing or doing other active things. I doubt anyone would say, I see myself in a form-fitting outfit and toned arms and legs, lying on the couch ignoring the sunshine. :P

duckyyellowfeet
10-11-2009, 05:12 PM
I also think its awesome that so many of us see ourselves either exercising or dancing or doing other active things. I doubt anyone would say, I see myself in a form-fitting outfit and toned arms and legs, lying on the couch ignoring the sunshine. :P

no way. being fat and self-conscious of that fact has prevented enough in my life already...i refuse to be healthy and continue that trend

luckymommy
10-11-2009, 07:49 PM
I always have this image of myself pulling up these great jeans that I have that don't fit me anymore. I know that the day I slip them on, I will be at my goal weight. I know it's not much of an image, but it totally works for me.

ladyrider72472
10-11-2009, 08:46 PM
I am about 15-20 (I have teetered quite a bit lately) away from goal. Although I am close to my goal size.... I picture me sitting up straight on my Harley with my tummy not "hanging". With my hair whipping in the wind. All-be-it most men find women on motorcycles hot anyway........ I can never get enough of my DH looking at other men..... thinking-- yep, thats my biker babe! Oh, and I want some boots that fit my calves well. Real high up the leg. (They don't make many kinds of biker boots for plus sizes). :bike:

CIRCLES
10-12-2009, 12:32 AM
[QUOTE: Duckyyellowfeet]No way. being fat and self-conscious of that fact has prevented enough in my life already...i refuse has prevented enough in my life already...i refuse to be healthy and continue that trend.

You summed that up well.
Right now something as simple as walking straight without limping due to arthritic knees. Wow when walking normal is a dream.

dutchgirl
10-12-2009, 12:35 AM
I want to be fit and toned and healthy and active, but I will not be going down in weight so far that I lose any curves I might have. I do not want to lose "the girls" for one thing.

amynbebes
10-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Throwing on a great pair of jeans, a cute shirt and feeling totally and utterly confident with myself.

Amba Dawn
10-12-2009, 01:27 PM
I want to be able to throw on some clothes...just whatever is in my closet & first thing I grab, without worrying about whether it fits or how I look in it...because I KNOW it will fit and I KNOW I look good! I miss that!! I also want to be able to go shopping and buy whatever I think is cute, rather than looking for clothes that are made a certain way so I don't look quite as fat. I want to wear a sweater dress with leggings (never been able to). I want to wear sleeveless shirts/dresses comfortably (knowing my arms aren't fat anymore). I want to go out with my friends and "fit in" rather than feeling like the "fat friend" (and I don't wanna be the fat bridesmaid in my bf's wedding!!). I want to get a cute hair cut, and not worry about it making my face look fatter. I want to be able to wear my REAL wedding ring again!!! (Been wearing a fake one ever since I got pregnant with my 1st son...never wanted to get it resized because I knew I'd lose the weight eventually).

Loving Me
10-12-2009, 01:31 PM
Years ago I lost weight and wore a new suit and clingy top to a family christmas meal. DH's brothers and uncle's chins dropped when they saw me in that outfit. I felt sexier than I have in a LONG time. So I picture that day and remember how I felt, and my goal is to feel like that again one day in the future.
I also picture myself at the gym in a bra top and little shorts, all matching and looking very sporty and sexy at the same time. One day that will be me, with everything well toned.

PammyFl
10-12-2009, 01:45 PM
My favorite image would have to be me in a beautiful form fitting wedding dress that I picked out personally not something I had to deal with just because of my size. I also imagine myself laying on the beach or on a cruise looking totally hot in a bathing suit. Im also looking forward to just looking totally cute in tight workout clothes without feeling jiggly and pudgy.

yoovie
10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
HAHAHAHA @ all of us wanting to be able to show skin when we exercise.

Hello, my name is yoovie and I'm exercising my butt off so I can look good while exercising my butt off. Word.

Brown Eyed Staccie
10-12-2009, 04:34 PM
I have this target outfit that I think about all the time - although I will never look like Angelina Jolie, I am sure I can rock that outfit someday.

It was Mr. and Mrs Smith - pencil black skirt with a slit up the side, black turtleneck and CL heels - never goes out of style and looked sexy as ****!!

Oh, and wearing shorts - it's been years and hoping that cottage cheese won't be served on the menu - or at least as much as I have now!

Oh, and wearing a sleevless top with no arm cellulite - I hate that more than anything...

Oh, and getting a boob job because I am thinking they are going to look like golfballs in socks when I am done with this...

Oh, and wearing cute bras and underwear....

Oh, and not having boob buddies...

I could keep going on and on....lol

yoovie
10-12-2009, 04:51 PM
I love that turtleneck and pencil skirt look- but I have a fantasy from the same movie.

You know the part where they are drinking tequila in the courtyard and she has on that creamy white get-up...

o ya - that's me.

Brown Eyed Staccie
10-12-2009, 07:51 PM
OMG how could I forget?!? She looked so amazing - I don't think I could ever knock that off but **** I could try :)

Oh and knee high boots - no chance in **** they are ever zipping up these days!

DivineFidelity
10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
I've got a few...lol.

Of course the wedding dress thing. My BF and I aren't engaged or anything, but we've been together over a year, closer to two actually...and I can definitely see myself with him. I don't want to get married till I'm out of college, so there's like another two or three years to go before I'd be okay with it...but I want to look HOT on my wedding day. I don't want to feel like I need a wedding dress with sleeves or straps. I WANT TO GO STRAPLESS! lol.

Oh...and I also want to be able to look good during the honeymoon ;)

I've never been to a club of any kind...I'm too afraid of dancing. I don't want to be the fat girl on the dance floor that everybody stares at...I want to be the hot girl on the dance floor that everybody stares at. I'm afraid if right now...I were to dance like I want to dance, I'd be gross to look at. I want to be able to wear the sexy clothes women wear to clubs...and I want to be able to dance and look great and feel comfortable with myself.

I also want to be the hot teacher (i'm in school for Education)....lol. Pencil skirt and pretty blouse and heels and my hair done just right. I don't really know why..I just do.

I want to buy a string bikini and not look like a fool wearing it...a pretty pink one with white polka dots...OH or a zebra one. That'd be cool.

I want to walk around with my bf and have him feel like he wants to show me off. I want him to be proud to be able to say that I'm his.

forestroad
10-13-2009, 03:03 PM
This is probably unattainable, but my image is me in a couture cocktail dress, short, worn for fashion not just to be flattering (bc I will look so good I won't need my clothes to be flattering, lol), and bought regardless of price, if it's the perfect dress.

yoovie
10-13-2009, 06:15 PM
"I don't want to be the fat girl on the dance floor that everybody stares at...I want to be the hot girl on the dance floor that everybody stares at."

LOVE IT!

"This is probably unattainable, but my image is me in a couture cocktail dress, short, worn for fashion not just to be flattering (bc I will look so good I won't need my clothes to be flattering, lol), and bought regardless of price, if it's the perfect dress."

definitely NOT unattainable - totally hot though. I cant wait to be able to invest in my closet and not have to worry about covering a range of sizes. I want to walk into a stunning store in SoHo and just grab the sample size in front and walk straight to the fitting room with the dazzling lights and prance around in front of the mirror instead of waiting til everyone else has left the room to see if I can get the zipper up!!! RAWR!

Nate0201
10-13-2009, 07:32 PM
I always think of myself as toned and able to finally wear no shirt at the beach and not want to stab myself and just die lol. It will be nice to in the summer wear just shorts and a wife beater and be comfortable. Buying cloths right off the rack without the trouble of them not having my size.

justaloozer
10-14-2009, 03:34 PM
My favorite mental image is me rocking some hot lingerie for DH.

I also want to have a closet full of clothes that fit, not just sweatpants and a few clothes in different sizes in case my weight changes.

SweetTink
10-14-2009, 07:43 PM
I want to be super healthy. I've changed my diet & I exercise but I want my body to reflect those changes. Of course in time it will but...like most people I want to show off the results now. :lol:

I imagene myself as a very fit person who can hike mountains on the weekend, play sports, and is in really great shape. :D

I want to lose weight to be healthier for my husband, to get to wear a super sexy Halloween costume, go on a shopping spree, get laser hair removal :yay:, and be great looking when we go to Hawaii to renew our wedding vows...hopefully next year!!! :cb:

My end of the year goal is 155 pounds!!! I've got to really work to make this!!! :carrot: :lifter:

georgiad
10-14-2009, 10:07 PM
My favourite image is of me in really nice lingerie, sexually confident and not needing lights off/certain positions. Gugh.

I also love the idea of being able to wear jeans and knee high boots, with a cream coloured coat and a woollen hat, a bit like this: http://cluelessfashionista.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/kenneth-cole-reaction-refined-wool-pea-coat-15000macys.jpg

Aah. Soon.

dancerindenver
10-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Mine is walking along the beach looking good (not swimsuit model perfect or anything - just well within the reasonable range ;) ) in a bathing suit and sarong, not feeling self-conscious at all.