Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Cool I quit!

Okay, I did it. I quit Bistro MD. I called today and cancelled my standing order. Today was my last delivery.

I have been slowly educating myself and weaning myself off Bistro MD. I need variety and frankly Bistro MD is expensive. I have nothing but good things to say about their customer service and their food. It's just time to put the big girl panties on and do this myself!

I found 3 cookbooks that are made for cooking for two people. They promote the low GI index way of eating so that helps me follow my doctor's orders. There is a huge variety of recipes, which I like. And I don't mind having leftovers for one if the hubby doesn't care for a recipe.

Wish me well. I'm a little scared to do this 100% by myself. Yet, I know I will do well because I've been doing Bistro MD part time for awhile and my wt loss has been consistent. It's just another whole new realm for me--out of another comfort zone. But, in the end it frees me up and I'm all for breaking the hold food has on me in all ways.

Thanks for listening....
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #2  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Well done on taking that step. I am sure you will do great on your own, you've had a good start, now it's time to take the stabilisers off and ride that bike on your own.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #3  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I know how you feel! I'm starting to wean off of Nutrisystem, not completely, but yeah.... in a few months I'll be canceling my order too.

Don't worry though! We can do it!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #4  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

Height: 5'2"

Lol, you brought a chuckle to me when you said big girl panties!

Congratulations on taking hold of your own reigns and doing it yourself. Meal delivery is a great start, but at some point everyone doing them gets tired of the selection and decides to go about it themselves. The one thing you will take away from BistroMD is portion size, and remember, its always nice to have something to fall back on when you feel like you are losing control, so if BistroMD worked for you, keep them in mind if you struggle down the road.
What is you plan now? Calorie counting? Have you decided to follow a certain diet plan like Weight Watchers or South Beach? Just wondering.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #5  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

hi OP! i did it too - about 4 months ago. it was hard, hard, hard. like taking off training wheels. and it does take a lot more time to plan, shop, prep, pack food. but it's LOTS cheaper...and there are ways to make it more 'bistro-like' at home. here's my (inactive for the most part, sorry) blog that i created when i was figuring it out:

http://freezerbags.blogspot.com/

i've got stuff in there about how to sous vide, where to buy snacks, lots of breakfast ideas, too. let me know if you need moral support!

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 10-08-2009 at 03:10 PM.
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Good job! You can do this! It's very daunting at first... but soon you will be like "Wow, and I didn't think I could do this on my own!"

Remember we are all here for you if you start to get lost.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #7  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

That's a HUGE step and I am more than confident that you are ready to take it Great job
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango30 View Post
Lol, you brought a chuckle to me when you said big girl panties!

Congratulations on taking hold of your own reigns and doing it yourself. Meal delivery is a great start, but at some point everyone doing them gets tired of the selection and decides to go about it themselves. The one thing you will take away from BistroMD is portion size, and remember, its always nice to have something to fall back on when you feel like you are losing control, so if BistroMD worked for you, keep them in mind if you struggle down the road.
What is you plan now? Calorie counting? Have you decided to follow a certain diet plan like Weight Watchers or South Beach? Just wondering.
I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic this summer. My doctor advised me to start eating according to the low GI plan. Up the protein and fiber, decrease the sugar/simple carbs. I'm not very good at explaining it, I am learning more about this way of eating all the time. It does embrace calorie counting & portion control. I'm sure someone here could explain much better than me. So far, it seems to be a reasonable way of living. I have to say that increasing my protein (I can see very clearly I have not been eating enough) and decreasing the simple carbs has worked for me. I don't 'crave' like I once did and I'm not struggling with hunger anymore. I once felt like I was never satisfied but with this way of eating I'm much more content.

So, in a word I'm not really following a group plan. I will just use my cookbooks to come up with healthy meals. Two of them in paticular offer the option of following their weekly menu plans and I may just start off doing that. Gotta plan something, right? Each recipe has the breakdown of calories, carbs, proteins, sugars, sodium, cholesterol, etc. so that's a big help. Of course I will continue to count my calories and exercise portion control. That's one big reason I was so excited to find cookbooks that have recipes for two. Can't eat what isn't there...
Old 10-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhljeanie View Post
hi OP! i did it too - about 4 months ago. it was hard, hard, hard. like taking off training wheels. and it does take a lot more time to plan, shop, prep, pack food. but it's LOTS cheaper...and there are ways to make it more 'bistro-like' at home. here's my (inactive for the most part, sorry) blog that i created when i was figuring it out:

http://freezerbags.blogspot.com/

i've got stuff in there about how to sous vide, where to buy snacks, lots of breakfast ideas, too. let me know if you need moral support!

Thank you so much. I can't wait to go through your blog and pick up some recipes and tips. I also appreciate your offer for moral support--I know I'm going to need it at some point! It's so nice to see someone who's really been there and done that!
Old 10-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #10  

Good for you. It will also be great for your pocketbook! Congrats!

Last edited by SunshineCA; 10-08-2009 at 05:10 PM.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Well done!
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote