Weight Loss Support - fiber

View Full Version : fiber

Jinksie
10-08-2009, 03:20 PM
so i've wandered away yet again but im back with a question....

which is the best kind of fiber supplement out there? (but in a reasonable price range)

thank you

nelie
10-08-2009, 05:05 PM
Why do you need a fiber supplement?

I am not a big fan of a fiber supplement unless there is a specific reason. I'd recommend increasing your consumption of high fiber foods.

SueSays
10-08-2009, 07:19 PM
I agree with Nelie completely! There are so many easy ways to up our fibre intake with healthy foods, why take a supplement?

My favorite is raspberries. One cup has a little over 8 grams of fibre, which is pretty amazing for such a reasonable amount of food that tastes so good to boot!

Havisham
10-08-2009, 08:05 PM
so i've wandered away yet again but im back with a question....

which is the best kind of fiber supplement out there? (but in a reasonable price range)

thank you

While eating more real fibre is the best, I suffer from IBS (to add to the wonders of being too fat) and my doctor recommended daily Metamucil. The capsules are bearable. :)

SweetScrumptious
10-09-2009, 01:35 AM
I am in a Health & Nutrition class at University and I'm learning great things about food! The topic of this week was Fiber.

I agree with the above. I wouldn't recommend a supplement. Soluble fibre is what you want to digest - this is the type that lowers cholesterol. It also needs to be unproccessed and "intact" (meaning, the source has not been striped ie. not white flour). Soluble fiber attaches itself to water and makes a gummy, gelly paste.

Well, usually, a fiber supplement is Inulin (this is what they add into Metamucil, for example). This is soluble but it is NOT gummy. So it won't help in decreasing cholesterol levels, slowing digestion, etc...

So really, if you want to receive the true benefits of fibre; get it from real sources. Fruits, veggies, whole grain, oats, barley, etc.

JayEll
10-09-2009, 07:36 AM
I like Benefiber. It is soluble fiber made from wheat dextrin. I also agree that eating more vegetables and fruits is a good source of fiber--celerly, for example. Also whole grain brown rice instead of white rice, and other whole grain foods.

Jay