Does it Work? - The Shake Weight

View Full Version : The Shake Weight

StephanieM
10-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I had training today at work and it was done about a half hour early, so the instructor asked us if we had any work appropriate youtube videos we could watch together as a class.. and my friend Roland suggested the Shake Weight.

I don't think this forum has a search function so I don't know if someones posted about this before, they talked about it on the view and on ellen, I can't believe this is a real product!

I can't post the link because my post count isn't high enough, but if you search 'ellen shake weight' or 'view shake weight' it'll show you on youtube.

It almost seems insane but it also sounds like it kinda works.

What do you guys think?

If you cry from laughter, it's okay, I did and so did everyone else, too!;)

AbbySinthe
10-08-2009, 07:48 AM
I don't know if it would work, but it is hilarious.

I might buy one just to make my husband laugh. And i'm sure he'd enjoy watch my (*)(*) shake! :rofl:

StephanieM
10-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Haha nice! It's hillarious!

I thought more people here would get a kick out if it, it probably doesn't help that I can't post the link to the video though.

Apparently it's only launched 10 days ago and it's been doing really well because of all the attention, I think it would make a good gag gift for someone trying to lose weight.

I think even if I used it alone I wouldn't be able to not laugh or feel weird, but it still seems like it might work. You are trying to hold a rapidly shaking dumbell haha.

bargoo
10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Yes, we have search function.Scroll up to the top of this page and about halfway across the blue/purple line you will find search.

LaBonita
10-08-2009, 02:24 PM
LOL...I saw it on Ellen, I thought it was hilarious. Ellen especially got a kick out of it. As for whether or not it works, I think it's pretty much the same thing as strapping yourself up to a vibrating machine. I'm sure it helps a little with toning, but over time I doubt it would work so well.

DanaLou
10-11-2009, 11:06 PM
saw it on Ellen too OMG it was funny watching the Jason Bateman (HOT!) do it! Do you think that thing would actually work?

AR4life
10-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Too funny..hehe

Lvgothkitty
03-03-2010, 02:27 AM
I saw it for sale at Walmart , it looks interesting....

kat

smccaleb06
03-10-2010, 12:22 PM
My aunt purchased it and has been using it for about a week now and she said it appears to be working. She said after the first time she could "feel the burn" on her arms. She also said she feels like she is burning lots of calories from laughing so hard when she uses it.

shagginabit
03-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I have one and I love it. So far it really has helped with toning my arms. :)

yhahmd
10-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Does anyone own one, does it actually work? I really could use some work on my arms, they're hideous. I do push ups and other arm toning exercises, but saw an infomercial on it and was interested.

StephanieM
10-25-2010, 09:05 AM
I think there's too much hype on how hillarious it looks to actually find a review of someone who has used it seriouslly. I remember watching a show where one of the women said she would use it and say what she thought, she said it looked like it would work, but then I never watched it again.

Have you tried lifting regular weights? They've shrunk and given my arms definition a ton! Heavy lifting is great.

EDIT: I noticed your bottom ticker is off, it says you've lost 140 lbs?

yhahmd
10-25-2010, 09:26 AM
I think there's too much hype on how hillarious it looks to actually find a review of someone who has used it seriouslly. I remember watching a show where one of the women said she would use it and say what she thought, she said it looked like it would work, but then I never watched it again.

Have you tried lifting regular weights? They've shrunk and given my arms definition a ton! Heavy lifting is great.

EDIT: I noticed your bottom ticker is off, it says you've lost 140 lbs?

Oh, that's for when I reach goal weight (140), if I decide to go to 130. It's sort of motivation lol.

Also, yeah, I'm trying to lift regular weights. It's okay I guess. I haven't been doing it consistantly though.

TJFitnessDiva
10-25-2010, 09:31 AM
One of my friends got it for me as a joke. I gave it a half hearted try but all it did was make me laugh ;)
If you wanted to shake something I bet shaking a free weight will be about the same.

sandcar150
10-26-2010, 09:49 PM
I used it religiously 3 times a week for 4 weeks. All I lost was 4 weeks. lol Seriously, no inch loss and my arms were just as flabby as before.

Can someone say yard sale?

Now I'm back to doing T-Tapp and some Callenetics and the inches are coming off. Google both for reviews and you'll see why.

sal27253
10-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Hey, I love my shake weight. I keep it in my desk at work and jiggle it when my mind starts to wander. I figure it's better than doing nothing and it's a great conversation starter!

cuteazz1
11-12-2010, 04:27 PM
It got really good reviews in Self magazine,I believe they tried it to show it did not work,but in the end they listed it in their top 10 things that work..

oddreee
11-18-2010, 01:22 PM
I know this forum is kinda old-- but did anyone else watch south park last night? There's a shake weight at the curves I go to just sitting there..never seen anyone use it. Now I won't be able to look at it without thinking of South Park.

Krazy
11-24-2010, 01:19 AM
OMG, I thought that episode was hilarious!

My bf bought me a shake weight when they first came out. I used it for about a week, but it didnít seem to tone my arms or anything. Although, I probably
didnít use it long enough to see any results.

Hmm....maybe Iíll start using it again. :)

VermontMom
11-24-2010, 10:17 PM
My husband bought me one, I used it once and just haven't picked it up again. Did anyone else think that the woman in the instructional dvd is just...too...thin? or am I jealous :devil:

callie999
11-25-2010, 06:34 PM
My bf has read a lot about weight lifting/body building and while we think the shakeweight thing is hilarious, he says that weight training correctly involves engaging each muscle in its full range of motion.

I was surprised it took a show so long to make fun of it...but I realized it's a too easy a target! SP managed to be creative about it though, as usual!

stellarosa27
11-29-2010, 11:46 AM
I have one. I use it somewhat regularly, along with push ups and dips, and I have noticed a difference in my arms. I can't say that its specifically from the shake weight, but after using it you can feel it working your muscles.

JellyBean32882
12-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Let me just say.. it's harder than I thought using it for 6 straight minutes.. I can feel it in just 1 min burn, lol.. I haven't used it long enough yet, but I can tell ya I was able to carry my gaming chair, which prob weighs close to 40lbs and I couldn't before.. so it probably does make you stronger if that's what you are lookin for. I dunno if it tones or anything yet..

D0LL8813
01-05-2011, 05:29 PM
My Cousin Works For Bed Bath And Beyond. She Swears By It. Im Getting Me One.

GradPhase
01-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Tee hee hee.

Tinky
01-06-2011, 08:24 AM
I could only use it in the comfort and privacy of my own home. :D

Perhaps I will find one at a yard sale this spring.

Marchmallow
01-06-2011, 11:49 AM
All I can think of when I hear about this thing is Stan's mum in South Park, lmao.

rengetsfit
01-14-2011, 01:37 AM
I have one and I love it. I toned my arms hardcore. I used it by just doing the video it came with 5days a week and within a month my arms looked great. People even complimented them

ICUwishing
01-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Can't look at one without laughing - it's the South Park thing. I was at Dunham's Sports before Christmas, and spotted a couple of young guys who made the mistake of picking one up. I almost threw up trying not to fall on the floor giggling. I don't think I could use one effectively.

Wild Vulpix
01-18-2011, 11:13 PM
I'd like to hear some other people's results to this hilarious product :)

deetermined2
01-18-2011, 11:30 PM
My brother-in-law received one in a Yankee swap, and regifted it at the family Yankee swap. It definitely got a lot of laughs. As well as comments on the spoofs that everyone had seen.

Getting it to oscillate right in many of the positions is harder than it looks. It seems like it might do something if done correctly. Almost everyone had to try it, but the person who opened it got to keep it. It wasn't "stolen" by any of the participants that followed.

I could easily have gone home with it, but opted to keep what I had.

EliteTrainer
01-19-2011, 04:35 PM
As a Certified Personal Trainer, I can tell you it's not going to solve any major weight loss dreams. Stick to weight lifting and cardio, get ample sleep, and follow a well-balanced diet.

It's a fad, trust me.

gettinghealthy
01-30-2011, 09:37 PM
My sister has one. I've tried it a couple of times and am not a fan. I didn't feel anything in my arms, it was hard to get going with holding it oddly, and was just overall uncomfortable.