General chatter - NaNoWriMo Support

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo Support

gardenerjoy
10-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Is any one doing NaNoWriMo in November? (NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month (http://www.nanowrimo.org/))

This is my second year.

Part of the culture of NaNoWriMo is to fuel 50,000 words in a month with caffeine and snacks. I got sucked into that last year and it contributed to my train wreck of weight gain. So, this year I want to fuel NaNoWriMo with exercise and healthy snacks. I'm hoping to find others, here, who could be a support group in that meeting that goal.

lizziep
10-08-2009, 01:35 AM
i signed up for it! I'm trying to think of ideas on what to write.

this would be my first one. and i'd be happy to join in a support group w/ you!

UrthWurm
10-08-2009, 02:11 AM
I'm definitely in! I had promised a friend I'd do it with them last year, but never got around to it. xD I want to actually stick to my goals, so I'm attempting it around my hectic schedule. Better to have written even a few pages then none at all and stay exactly where I always have been.

midwife
10-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Let's do this thing!

50K? Butt in chair? Oh yeah!

In the past I have found I can either maintain my exercise/eating habits, or I can write, but not both. BUT, I know I spend way too much time surfing the internet, so if I cut that back I can use that butt in chair time for writing.

Yeah, I'm in!

gardenerjoy
10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi, everyone! Glad to know there are other writers here!

My first NaNo food challenge is this Saturday afternoon. A bunch of us are getting together at a coffee house for a pre-planning meeting. We're always encouraged to buy something from the businesses that host us. I just checked the menu and the only thing on my plan is bottled water! So, bottled water it is.

I'll pack some nuts and dark chocolate chips in my laptop bag in case I get really hungry since this will go past my normal afternoon snack time. If I have to, I'll go outside and eat my packed snack. Kind of the equivalent of a smoke break for dieters!

giselley
10-08-2009, 02:13 PM
I'll be full time college and full time work i don't have the time to write a novel-- but I did do it last year.

kaplods
10-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Me TOO. I've also promised myself that I'm going to join a local writer's group. The move (we're in an absolutely great apartment now) has distracted me from writing (I have about half a dozen novels started).

Last year, I bought a book called Book in a Month by Victoria Lynn Schmidt
In the book, it referenced the author's yahoo group (link below)

http://*************.com/group/VBIAMClub/

The book is designed so that you can do much of the work, in the book's worksheets. You could buy a new book for every writing project you do.
What's awesome, is that the yahoo group has printouts of all the "worksheet" portions of the book, so that isn't necessary. You really wouldn't have to buy the book at all, if you belong to the yahoo group (free), though I'd still recommend the book. It's a nice outlining tool.

For five years, I've thought of joining a local writers group, but have never gotten up the nerve. I think in honor of NaNoWRiMo, I'm going to bite the bullet and do it. Meeting every week could possibly keep the fires lit.

gardenerjoy
10-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Have you all chosen the story that you are going to work on for NaNoWriMo? I've just narrowed my list from four ideas down to two. I'm hoping to get it down to one over the weekend.

UrthWurm
10-09-2009, 06:43 PM
I have no idea what story I'm writing yet-- which is somewhat terrifying!! :D
I'm going to try and make up my mind over this following week, and get my basic outline together for the story.

Sweetcaroline
10-10-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm so happy to see all of you...
This is my first and I'm so excited... and a wellness challenge with it... what a great idea ! 50,000 words is a lot but I'm up for it.. :comp:
I'm still unsure of what I'm going to write...
Good luck everyone

Sakai
10-10-2009, 10:53 PM
I was really into BIAM (Book in a month) 80,000 words in four weeks. And it was rough and lost motivation a week into it. 50,000 seems do-able even though the most i pulled in a month was around 20,000-25,000 but I wasn't trying my hardest.

I joined NaNo just now. I've heard of it before, but only after it ended last year, so I'm totally in this year. I know just what story I'm going to write, even though the plot is iffy and I have no end yet. (feels like it might be a bit epic) I'm urber excited.

I am worried because I just got right back on track with my weight loss. I don't want to be stuck behind the computer for my few hours of free time. I just have to remember to keep moving and work-outs to not count as free time, I have to do it every day just like I have to work and sleep every day.

I do munch when I write, chewing seems to help me think. I go though packs of gum, salt and butter free popcorn...(the kind I pop myself in a air popper) and pretzel sticks all seem to be the things that gets my brain thinking. So I'll have to be extra careful in November.

KrisR
10-11-2009, 02:58 AM
oh gosh.....I was just thinking earlier today that if I was going to participate this year, that I better get planning! I did the 50,000 word novel a few years back and it was actually quite a good experience. Ok, I'm off to the nanowrimo site to (hopefully) be inspired.

gardenerjoy
10-15-2009, 12:41 PM
It sounds like everyone is off to a good start with planning, both with the novel and how to stay healthy while doing NaNo.

I finally decided which story I'm going to work on. But haven't had much time since then to work with it. I did it last year with no more plot than I have right now, though, so I'm not too worried.

Thanks for the gum idea, Sakai. I just put that on the grocery list so that I can lay in a good supply before November.

lizziep
10-15-2009, 01:26 PM
haven't got a freaking clue what to write... but i really want to participate and i signed up before this thread popped up. what do you guys do for inspiration? I really want to finalize my floating ideas into an outline so i have some guidance - before November 1. lol.

kaplods
10-15-2009, 04:12 PM
I've got about a half dozen half-started novels (most are sci fi or fantasy), I do really well for about 3 chapters and then hit a wall (sometimes coming up with a "better idea" and taking that to chapter 3 and hitting a wall again. The last novel I started, I completely outline, figuring that if I had the plot mapped out to the end, I'd get over the chapter 3 hump. Not so much.

I have a notebook just for ideas for novels and other writing projects.

There are a lot of goode books that can help you get and flesh out an idea. Some of my favorite writing books (not all on idea generation).

45 Master Characters, Victoria Lynn Schmidt (author of Book in a Month that I talked about)

20 Master Plots (and How to Buld Them), Ronald Tobias

Steal This Plot: A Writer's Guide to Story Structure and Plagiarism, June Noble and William Noble

The Writer’s Idea Book, Jack Heffron

Also, books on the subject that I haven't read yet, but are on my list to buy or borrow from the library.

Story Starters: How to Jump-Start Your Imagination, Get Your Creative Juices Flowing, and Start Writing Your Story or Novel, Lou Willett Stanek (Author)

The Writer's Book of Matches: 1,001 Prompts to Ignite Your Fiction, The Editors of Fresh Boiled Peanuts

What If? Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers, by Anne Bernays & Pamela Painter

Sylvied
10-15-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm in as well... and also nervous about how to keep up my working out and eating right while I do it.

Last year I was on vacation all month and I managed to finish the story. This year I'm working full time and I feel a bit more doubtful about finishing on time. But I want to give it a shot.

Shrinking Girl
10-15-2009, 05:46 PM
I've been looking forward to NaNo ever since it ended last year (which was my first year). I am still trying to choose which of my ideas I'm going to expand on but maaan is it hard and I really need to be doing some prep work. It'll be nice to have some healthy support for it as last year I know I ate my way through plenty of chip bags whilst trying to encourage my creative genius. Doh!

Sweetcaroline
10-15-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm still running stories through my mind... My goal is to finalize a rough outline by Oct. 25... and then relax... I have a feeling the time is going to go by fast... could I be blocked already ? lol...

kaplods
10-16-2009, 11:53 PM
I tend to put off writing when there's housework that needs to be done - the problem is there's always housework to be done.

Except today!

With the move, we've thrown out everything that was too damaged to repair. Have repaired everything that we could, and given away what we don't need. The unpacking is done (I finished unpacking my craft room/computer room/writing office), and everything is in it's place and the house is spotless.

So, in essence I am as ready to write as I will ever be. Hubby's willing to do all of the cooking and housework while I write (he's always been willing to do this, and in our old apartment he would tell me to "forget the housework" and write - the problem was that if I forgot the housework, so did he. His standards of cleanliness haven't been mind... until now. This apartment is absolutely new. Neither of us have lived in a house or apartment that was new when we moved in. The floor plan, especially in the kitchen is awesome. It's very open, beautiful, and has lots of storage and workspace in the kitchen. Even the bathroom is huge. And suddenly, Hubby has become a clean freak, which is great (but a tiny bit annoying, but I'll gladly live with it). He vaccuums every morning, and we've agreed not to wear our outdoor shoes indoors to keep the pale beige carpet pale - and beige.

So NOW, I have no excuse not to write. So, as of tomorrow morning, I can write essentially full-time. I have no excuse not to. I'm excited and intimidated at the same time.

kaplods
10-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Went to the NaNoWriMo webpage, and see that in the spirit of the event, I really need to start a new novel, rather than finish one I've started.

Luckily, I do have a plot outine for a novel I haven't yet started, so I could use the rest of this month for research, and fleshing out the outline a little bit further, before starting on the 1st.

I'm so excited!

midwife
10-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Is everyone signing up officially?

Tomorrow I'm on call, and in between babies, I'm going to outline. :)

kaplods
10-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Is everyone signing up officially?

Tomorrow I'm on call, and in between babies, I'm going to outline. :)

I did. This year is my first.

Somni
10-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I signed up for it, this year is my first year. I have been planning and outlining for the last couple of weeks. Though I had forgotten that DH was waffling about seeing his family on T-day and attending a cousin's wedding that weekend, and he just decided he definitely wants to go. We're in Illinois, the family festivities are in Montana, and he wants to drive it. Soo free time in that last eight days or so is going to be very, very tight.

I am still going to try, and just hope to get a little ahead earlier in the month, then squeeze in the rest of the time in the mornings on my laptop before everyone is up!

midwife
10-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah, us!! I signed up!

Shrinking Girl
10-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Yeppers, I was an official participant last year and can't wait for this year to start (you know, so I can stop procrastinating all the planning I should be doing right now.)

kaplods
10-18-2009, 11:06 AM
So yesterday, I did a little novel outlining, and spent a lot of time loading my itunes library. Today I plan to reverse that - but I'm curious - Do any of you listen to music while you write or do you find it destracting? What do you listen to?

Listening to music helps me write IF I can tune out the words. I collect irish/scottish/celtic music (from folk songs to hard rock and everything in between). If I can't tune out the words, I listen to instrumentals or songs in Gaelic (because I don't know the words, they're just another "instrument" in the music to me).

Primm
10-18-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm in too! I signed up a couple of weeks ago. I honestly hadn't considered it cutting into my exercise time.

I don't listen to music - can't concentrate properly. I prefer absolute silence, but because that's not possible then the birds and the traffic will have to do.

Skyra
10-18-2009, 07:31 PM
This'll be my seventh year! I'm excited this thread is here. My hardest thing will be chocolate... in the past I've used it to motivate myself, definitely. Good to know I'm not the only one on here with a particular challenge next month!

Sweetcaroline
10-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I like a little background noise, even the TV sometimes, if its music it's classical, otherwise I would start thinking about the words in the song...
I'm crossing my fingers that I can hang in there, I have a ruptured disk in my neck... I'm limited to a 'few' hours at a time...
My to-do's for this week are to prepare my writing area, play with some different chair positions and foot rests etc... I need to be comfy...

kaplods
10-19-2009, 09:16 PM
I got a LOT of outlining and plotting done yesterday. I looked through an old "idea binder" I had. I hadn't opened it in several years, and was surprised at how much was in there. I found an idea and some research notes that blended perfectly with another idea I was having (basically changing the novel from an adult romance audience to possibly a YA audience).

However, I ran across a difficulty I hadn't counted on. I could barely walk today. I really can't sit in a chair at a desk for hours. I "know" this, but didn't think about it. I did try to get up frequently and move around, but apparently not enough, because my back is killing me. Doing this for the next six weeks (doing research and more plot and scene outlining until Nov 1), I don't know how well that's going to work out.

Now, I'm setting an alarm, and making sure to walk around for 10 to 20 minutes, or lie down for 20 minutes, and to take all my medications, especially the pain meds on schedule (preventing pain is a lot easier than getting rid of pain once it's taken hold).

I'm still looking forward to it, I just think it's going to be a bit harder to pace myself than I initially thought.

gardenerjoy
10-21-2009, 10:55 PM
We've got quite a group! I'm so pleased there are so many of us here.

Have any of you ever gone through the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron? If you have, you'll likely remember Reading Deprivation week. I did it the first time over a decade ago and I remember that week as horribly awful while also being the most productuive week of my life!

Anyway, I'm doing it again, with a group this time, and we're starting Reading Deprivation week tomorrow. Since all I do on the internet is read, I'm going internet-free for the whole week.

The good news is, I expect to finally get a good amount of work on my plotting for NaNo.

Have a good week, everyone!

kaplods
10-21-2009, 11:39 PM
My plot outline, and background notes total 11,147 words, the vast majority from the last three day sof work. Now, if I could only write the novel body that fast, I would be done in 2 weeks.

Yeah, that's not going to happen, but it has made me realize how much writing every day, full-speed can produce a lot more than I've given myself credit for.

I'm doing a bit better with my back, taking more breaks and trying to be really mindful of body messages.

I do really think though that this might actually be doable. We'll see. If I can even get halfway there - 25,000 words worth of prose, I will be extremely happy.

I am vowing not to edit so much as a paragraph until my 50,000 words (of manuscript) are completed. That's going to be the toughest to break myself of as whenever I stop writing - when it's time to start again, I usually can't pick up where I left off, instead the tendency is to go back and edit what I've written - each time. No wonder I don't finish fiction - I'm sick of it by the time I get through Chapter 3. I have to learn not to go back and fuss and figit with what I've got written until I have a completed rough draft to work with.

I have checked out a few books from the library and have browsed some of my writing books in my library and I'm reading over and over again not to edit as you write. Also, an interesting tip I read in I believe it was First Draft in 30 Days - not to add subplots until AFTER you have the entire first draft. That's interesting, because I have about five subplot ideas (and figure I'll probably use maybe 3), and I was wondering how to weave them in - and now I have my answer - not until after I have my 50,000) words.

midwife
10-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Gardener, NO internet!!! :eek: That is of course what I need to do during this time too.....

Sweetcaroline
10-23-2009, 11:44 AM
9 Days !!

Yeah ! I bought a new desk chair... I'm so excited...
The outline is coming along... no pressure..

kaplods
10-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Three Days! Everyone ready?

I've got a workable outline, and spent the last couple days working on Character names. I wanted to choose names that reflected the characters' personalities and/or physical traits, but needed them to be rather unfamiliar and not too obvious (because my characters are mostly werewolves - and "Bob the werewolf," just wasn't going to cut it).

I only have three main characters to name yet (and one is deceased before the story starts). The main character's biological father - the father who raised her, and her love interest. I've narrowed it down to about ten names for each of the men.

I'm really excited. I have a lot of ideas for subplots, but I'm planning on spending November writing the main story line, and then weaving the subplots in during editing after I finish the first draft.

lizziep
10-29-2009, 03:06 AM
wow you're so organized! i got down like a 1/4 of a notebook page of ideas and called it good! I'm really just going to fly by the seat of my pants here.
I'm moving on 11/1- but I have a whole 7 days off after that to unpack and get a good jump start on my writing.
I am also worried about the temptation to go back and edit edit edit. just gotta not do it! i'm going to try my best not to get distracted by the internet and devote time to it every day. even debating on whether or not to bring my laptop with me to work on it during my lunch breaks.
I think I'm going to meet up with some locals on Saturday and see what we do here in the Eug... i'm really excited!

kaplods
10-29-2009, 10:18 AM
The main reason I worked on outlining, plotting, and naming - is hubby. He thought it was "silly" that I was giong to wait until November 1 to start writing (he's been nudging me to write since before we got married and I showed him some of my writing).

So, in the spirit of the contest, I read what I COULD write (research, outlining, plotting, backstory, anything that wasn't the actual prose), and started working on that (mostly to see if I could make the 1700 words a day, I'd need to in order to complete my minimun word count).

At least for the backstory, I didn't have any trouble getting 2000 to 3000 words in. It's going to be harder for the actual story (especially since I will have to fight the urge to edit), so I started describing some of the scenes I want to include.

We'll see whether it helps or hinders me, when it comes to actually writing the book.

CanadianCutie
10-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Eeeeep. I'm going for it. I haven't written anything since I was in school last (2007), and that amounted to essays for an English Class, and a few presentations, oh and a poem for the English Class as well.

This will be a real challenge for me. I have started writing something longer a few times in the past, but I have never stuck with it. I really want to accomplish this. Now for an idea that hasn't been done to death.

marbear24
10-29-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm in. Thanks to Kaplods for directing me to the existing Nanowrimo thread!

midwife
10-30-2009, 10:36 AM
I got a couple of NaNoWriMo emails and I'm excited. My problem really is Internet time. Gotta cut it....so ironically, I'll need to cut back on my 3FC time in November. I'll try to send ya'll a little update each week and peek in to see how things are going!

Did ya'll hear about Schwarzzenegger's letter to the legislature? Well, if he can randomly say "FU" in a letter to the legislature, and a million monkeys can type out Shakespeare in a million years, then I guess I should be able to bang out 50K of something in English in November.

Huzzah!!!! Good luck my fellow Nano-3FCers!!!!!!

gardenerjoy
10-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Hey, I'm back on the internet! Like midwife, I've realized that internet time will need to be limited for me in November (and maybe always). My Reading Deprivation week helped me realize that I don't really miss consuming media until 5 or 6 in the evening -- so I'm working on developing an "After 5" practice for reading forums and blogs.

Staying off the internet for a week gave me the time to a complete scene-by-scene outline. I think it's going to improve both my experience and my manuscript over last year.

Less than 30 hours!

kaplods
10-31-2009, 01:23 AM
Limiting online socializing is going to be the hardest for me. I may have to give myself permission to only check a couple threads (like this one, and maybe a couple other NaNoWriMo thread I'm in on other sites) - and that's it.

I'm participating and/or following a few threads on the NaNoWriMo site and also a NaNoWriMo thread on ravelry (a fiber arts - crochet, knit, weaving, etc. site).

Usually this time of year, I'm working madly on crafty projects to give as Christmas gifts, but with all the time and money that went into the big move, handmade gifts for everyone in the family isn't going to be feasible - and there's not much money to purchase ready-made gifts, so we settled upon individual gifts for the nephews (age 1, 5, and 7) and group gifts for each household (my homemade jerky).

The nice thing about the jerky is that everyone loves it (judging by how fast it disappears and how everyone asks if I'm bringing any when we visit). Since we're not going to be able to visit my family this year (at least not without a miracle) until well after the holidays, we'll send care packages.

And the really great thing about my jerky recipe, is that I can mix up the marinade in about 5 minutes, and hubby can do the rest.

The hardest part is going to be not eating too much of the jerky myself. I use super lean meat, so the jerky itself is fairly reasonable calorie-wise; but the sodium content is high enough to guarantee several pounds of water retention if I'm not very careful.

Low-sodium jerky is possible, but only safe if refrigerated and eaten quickly. Since I don't want to send any of the relatives to the emergency room, I'll be making the normal recipe (luckily, almost everyone on the gift list has neither weight or blood pressure issues). Keeping hubby and I from eating more than is good for us, is another issue.

kaplods
10-31-2009, 12:20 PM
I tried asking this in general chatter the other day (I thought I'd open the question to readers AND writers), and it didn't exactly go as I'd hoped - it became twisted into a discussion of prejudices and why selecting a character's name would be important (because people shouldn't judge a person by their name).

I have to admit, I wasn't very good at explaining why it was important (maybe I should have just alluded to the information in The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook by Sherrilyn Kenyon; The Writer's Guide to Character Traits by Dr. Linda Edelstein; and The Writer’s Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters by Marc McCutcheon. The authors definitely explained it better than I did).

At any rate this is the discussion if your interested (but then on to my question).

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/185330

Ok, so I have two characters (both male, and brothers) that I'm having trouble naming (there's a bit more information about the brothers in the other thread, but I was hoping for a "first impression" before you know much more about their relationship and the meanings of their names (if you don't already know).

At any rate, here goes -
If anyone is interested, I could use a little help. So if you've got a few minutes and it sounds fun, please read the following name pairs and tell me which of the two would you expect to be the stronger (mentally or physically) character.

1. Ennis or Cowan

2. Fergus or Cowan

3. Angus or Cowan

4. Ennis or Tavish

5. Fergus or Tavish

6. Angus or Tavish

Did you have a favorite pair?

Also (if you're still interested) - what would your impression be of the physical or personality traits of a character named:

Ennis-
Fergus-
Angus-
Tavish-
Cowan-

Thanks so much.

P.S. Everyone excited? Are you starting at midnight or fresh tomorrow morning.

marbear24
10-31-2009, 07:44 PM
I tried asking this in general chatter the other day (I thought I'd open the question to readers AND writers), and it didn't exactly go as I'd hoped - it became twisted into a discussion of prejudices and why selecting a character's name would be important (because people shouldn't judge a person by their name).

I have to admit, I wasn't very good at explaining why it was important (maybe I should have just alluded to the information in The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook by Sherrilyn Kenyon; The Writer's Guide to Character Traits by Dr. Linda Edelstein; and The Writer’s Digest Sourcebook for Building Believable Characters by Marc McCutcheon. The authors definitely explained it better than I did).

At any rate this is the discussion if your interested (but then on to my question).

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/185330

Ok, so I have two characters (both male, and brothers) that I'm having trouble naming (there's a bit more information about the brothers in the other thread, but I was hoping for a "first impression" before you know much more about their relationship and the meanings of their names (if you don't already know).

At any rate, here goes -
If anyone is interested, I could use a little help. So if you've got a few minutes and it sounds fun, please read the following name pairs and tell me which of the two would you expect to be the stronger (mentally or physically) character.

1. Ennis or Cowan

2. Fergus or Cowan

3. Angus or Cowan

4. Ennis or Tavish

5. Fergus or Tavish

6. Angus or Tavish

Did you have a favorite pair?

Also (if you're still interested) - what would your impression be of the physical or personality traits of a character named:

Ennis-
Fergus-
Angus-
Tavish-
Cowan-

Thanks so much.

P.S. Everyone excited? Are you starting at midnight or fresh tomorrow morning.

Kaplods - I'm starting bright and early tomorrow morning. Tonight, I'm working on homework so that I don't screw my class grade up *too* badly by doing this :)

As far as your name question - I tend to either go by name meanings (if I know it) or by word association. (I'll go with word assocaition since most people aren't dorks like me and don't have a knowledge base filled with name meanings :). ) So like Cowan to mean is visually similar to coward... so I would think of a not so noble character. Tavish reads lavish - so someone very superficial and flasy. Ennis is another form of Angus - so that would be intersting if your characters were twins (or very similar) because normally twin are seen as a reflection of one another. But the combination of Ennis and Angus was not one of your choices... so I'd have to go with Ennis and Fergus. I'm pretty apathetic towards Fergus - it just seems very Irish, there's really no other association I hold with it.

Hope that helps.

Sweetcaroline
10-31-2009, 08:09 PM
So here we are the night before... Is everyone ready ?

I'm so happy and relieved, I've settled on a story line.
Here's a little preview...
In 1978 New England and most of the east coast experienced a major snowstorm. People were stranded on highways. Neighborhoods snapped together to help each other, it was like the world stood still for a few days... In my story, a family will be touched by a special gift.

I tend to get a bit over descriptive, but I think that will work in my favor for this story...

Good luck everyone... get a good start tomorrow !

kaplods
10-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Kaplods - I'm starting bright and early tomorrow morning. Tonight, I'm working on homework so that I don't screw my class grade up *too* badly by doing this :)

As far as your name question - I tend to either go by name meanings (if I know it) or by word association. (I'll go with word assocaition since most people aren't dorks like me and don't have a knowledge base filled with name meanings :). ) So like Cowan to mean is visually similar to coward... so I would think of a not so noble character. Tavish reads lavish - so someone very superficial and flasy. Ennis is another form of Angus - so that would be intersting if your characters were twins (or very similar) because normally twin are seen as a reflection of one another. But the combination of Ennis and Angus was not one of your choices... so I'd have to go with Ennis and Fergus. I'm pretty apathetic towards Fergus - it just seems very Irish, there's really no other association I hold with it.

Hope that helps.

Helps a lot. The brothers actually are twins, and while I was originally thinking to name one brother "twin" (Tomas, Tavish, Tevis, Tomus, Tomnus, Tamnus, Cowan....) and the other "first choice," (Ennis, Angus, Fergus - I'm also leaning away from Fergus), and work with the dynamic of a "favored" son who is irresponsible and selfish and a less favored son who is hard-working, reliable and unable to win his parents' approval (or so he thinks).

I'm thinking that giving them names with the same meaning might be an even
better idea - the dynamic instead would be in standing out, achieving, establising an independent identity apart from the other, because of the tendency of some to treat twins as a "unit" instead of individual. Also, since both names mean "first or best choice," each is trying to be the undisputed owner of the title.

I think I am leaning toward Ennis and Angus. Angus and Fergus are too similar, and there may be a character named Fenris - and Fenris and Fergis are definitely too similar.

gardenerjoy
10-31-2009, 11:44 PM
kaplods: Here are my answers to your questions. Thanks for sharing your process with us -- and let us know what you decide!

1. Cowan

2. Cowan

3. Angus

4. Tavish

5. Fergus

6. Angus

My favorite pair is Angus and Cowan, with Ennis and Tavish as a close second.
I like your new idea, too, of Ennis and Angus.

They all sound Irish and therefore pretty foreign to me. Angus, being a type of cattle, has some odd connotations, but not so strange that I would stay away from the name. And hasn't Fergus been used in old Westerns for the dumb guy? The others are different enough that they don't have many associations for me.

Last year, I happened to wake up at about five minutes to midnight so I actually wrote for half an hour. I'm open to that again, but the plan is to start in the morning. We have our first official write-in for the St. Louis area tomorrow afternoon so I should get some good writing in.

marbear24: good job on getting school work caught up -- I paid all the bills this week for the same reason!

Sweetcaroline: sounds like a great situation for your characters to grow!

Hope everyone has a good time tonight or tomorrow when you get started.

midwife
11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
2247. I'm happy! I keep thinking, "This is crap, this is crap," and it probably is a little but some things are fleshing out. I have no idea where I'm going with it. My MC is currently eating a Twix after the trauma of finding a body.

marbear24
11-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm at 4156. If any of you want to add me as a writing buddy, my user name is maryanna. You can pester me if my word count is sucking!

gardenerjoy
11-02-2009, 05:16 PM
I just got to 4600. Most of it yesterday, but I wrote a couple of scenes today. I'm finding that my scene by scene outline and the plan to write two scenes a day is more motivating than the word count. That was a surprise since last year I had not much of an outline and it was only the word count that spurred me on.

I went to our big Sunday write-in. Last year, I went early and bought a sandwich for a late lunch. A sandwich that has more fat in it than I'm currently eating in a whole day! This year, I arrived a few minutes late and supported the restaurant by buying a cup of tea. The sandwich craving didn't hit until we were nearly done, so I was able to make it out the door without consuming calories. Now, I just have to convince myself that tea is the always the appropriate accompaniment to a write-in.

gardenerjoy
11-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Is everyone remembering to exercise? I didn't yesterday and by late this afternoon my body was thinking I was sitting too much! A nice workout to my hula DVD loosened things up nicely!

Sweetcaroline
11-02-2009, 07:59 PM
I got off to a good start yesterday about 1000 words... today I'm at 600+ and usually get a second wind around 11pm... I'm having fun... no pressure ! (yet)...

I did 45 mins on the TM at a good clip and a planned quick stretch turned into about 20 mins on the ball doing 'core'... so far so good... I was in Walgreens and Halloween candy was half price... I rushed by it !

lizziep
11-03-2009, 12:29 AM
i'm at 2169 which isnt too bad considering i moved yesterday and have been unpacking today. :) i have this week off so i think i can get a good head start.

gardenerjoy
11-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Eating while I write hasn't been a problem for me -- I just don't do it (thanks to someone's gum suggestion, I just chew gum instead). But eating to take a break from writing is proving to be a bit of a problem. Yesterday, my afternoon snack grew to three times it's normal size just because I wanted a longer break. I probably needed the break, but I surely didn't need the calories! Any suggestions for taking non-food breaks from the intensity of NaNo?

marbear24
11-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Hot tea? It takes a while to drink, and if you don't put milk or sugar in it its calorie free. Plus like chamomile tea really calms me down.

midwife
11-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Laundry?

Sort of kidding, sort of not. Anything I can do quickly, like switch a load of laundry, empty the dishwasher, wipe down a counter....gets me out of the chair and a small task done.

kaplods
11-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Wasted half a day today. No writing, but I spent the day crocheting fingerless gloves to wear while typing or crocheting/knitting.

My hands (especially the right one) have been going stone cold after only a few minutes typing or needlework, so I crocheted fingerless wristlets with a pocket in each glove to slide in those chemical handwarmers. I can wear the pocket against the palm, or wear them on the other hands, and the pocket will be on the back of the glove.

For typing, it's easier to type with the pockets on the back of the hands, but when I'm crocheting, palm-side works best.

I'm wearing them right now (the pockets are empty, though), and the hands and wrists feel nice and toasty (typing is a little slower and more awkward, but I think I'll get used to it, and be back at my usual speed before long), but the fingers are still really cold (the handwarmer packets will help with that, but I'll have to buy some. I used the last one making the mits).

I just can't seem to get and stay warm. The thermostat is fine, so it must just be me. If I'm feeling like this when the temp outside is in the 30's, I hate to think what it's going to be when the temp outside is below zero.

lizziep
11-06-2009, 02:53 AM
funny i was just lamenting that i didn't have a pair of those myself!! I'm up to 4959 but I still feel i'm a bit behind schedule. every time i sat down to write today i ended up playing on the internet. perhaps i should turn my wireless off until I've met my quota for the day! lol.

marbear24
11-06-2009, 08:20 AM
11,497 words in - I've decided I hate what I'm writing and am starting something else. Haha. At least I write really fast, otherwise 50,000 would be impossible! :D

Sweetcaroline
11-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm lagging behind a bit at 3100... just when I had a nice little schedule planned out, I'm starting to get distracted by outside influences. I'm chosing exercise and getting my food right over sitting down to write...
They're calling for 'snow' here over the weekend... I know the snow will prompt me as my story takes place in a blizzard... LOL... Keep going everyone..

Marbear... Very impressive ! Keep going...

gardenerjoy
11-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions for quick breaks. Hot tea and short walks have been working for me.

I went pass 14,000 today, so I'm in pretty good shape. Although at this rate, I'm going to run out of plot before I get to 50,000. I suspect I need to be writing more description as a I go along so that I have more words.

The woman I sat next to at our write-in today always wears fingerless gloves. That plus writing really fast make her pretty famous in the NaNoWriMo circle in St. Louis.

gardenerjoy
11-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Was having 3FC down good for your word count? I'm at 21,290, which isn't great. But the weather was too nice today to write. It's supposed to rain all next week -- I expect that to be good for my word count!

marbear24
11-14-2009, 09:42 PM
gardenerjoy - Nice job! I've actually spent more time TRYING to get 3fc to load than anything! Ha! So it's done nothing for my wordcount. [It would have been one thing if they were down completely - but it would load every 15th try... which left me way too hopeful... sometimes hope is a bad thing!]

I hit 33,000+ on like Tuesday - and havn't looked at it since :( TOo much homework! I hope to hit 50K by wednesday

gardenerjoy
11-21-2009, 07:46 PM
How is everyone doing? I'm at 31,406 so a couple of days off pace. Maybe I'll make some progress tomorrow. Between NaNoWriMo and some family stuff, I'm finding it difficult to keep up with both writing and exercise. I am at least getting a bit of walking in each day. The food is going mostly according to plan.

Sweetcaroline
11-22-2009, 07:23 PM
I've fallen off track... It's nice to see all of you are doing well.... Keep going !
This was my first attempt and 10k was it... not too bad. There is always next year for me...

marbear24
11-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Hope everyone is doing well!

I hit 50,616 yesterday (or something to that effect). Yipee. Now, I probably will only keep like 10,000 words from that - but the exercise let me get the jiuces flowing and find direction for this project. I'm excited! :D It also let me find a writing group in my area that meets year round - so this has been a great experience!

kaplods
11-23-2009, 02:15 PM
I've fallen off track... It's nice to see all of you are doing well.... Keep going !
This was my first attempt and 10k was it... not too bad. There is always next year for me...

I was really bummed when I realized I probably won't make it (I'm at 14,500 words), but then I realized - I've never written this much in so short a time - so even if I'm not an "official" winner, it's been a win-win situation for me.

I'm going to try to consider every month Nanowrimo, and if I continue to do as well, I'll have my first draft done by my birthday (March 20th).

gardenerjoy
11-27-2009, 07:06 PM
The good news is that I finished my story today. The bad news is that I'm only at 44 thousand words! I think I'm going to write a long epilogue that is really the start of the sequel!

kaplods and Sweetcaroline, I'm glad that you both understand that your word count is nothing to be sneezed at when you compare it to what you would have done without NaNoWriMo.

Yay, marbear24, for getting over 50 thousand!