The Maintenance Library books, articles, and book discussions

Old 10-07-2009, 05:32 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Master your Metabolism - Jillian Michaels

I just finished and will likely reread sections again. This is not a diet or weight loss book per se. The diet section is 1 chapter and is not too much really original (vs. clean eating or southbeachprekraft) and probably covered in much more detail in her other books.

Super clean eating - all organic meat, dairy and produce. All real food, no processed foods, no artificial sweeteners etc. Limited caffeine.
Some protein, carbohydrates and fat at every meal
Good carbs and fats

Only specific difference from other diets is specifically 3 meals ONE snack (as opposed to 3/2 or 3/3)

The bulk of the book is a discussion on the different hormones, how they affect your energy, metabolism, hunger etc and what drives them. How they work together. How imbalances in one can lead to imbalances in the other.

A lot of discussion on environmental toxins as endocrine disrupters. (some in the - well I cant live in a bubble category - and can we make that a glass bubble please)

What was most interesting to me were the various whole foods that could either support or disrupt the various gland functions. I've just been diagnosed mildly hypothyroid and insulin resistant (by both an MD and a naturopath) and adrenal fatigue (naturopath only) and am just starting to explore how I am going to go about treatment. As a whole food junkie the concept of using food to heal is good. (who knew that crucifers were hard on a compromised thyroid? Why did I discover this the day my CSA delivered a cabbage the size of a beach ball?)

Some of the book is quite alarmist in nature. Overall I found it an interesting read and would recommend it to someone who was in the situation I have been in the last 6 months. (Felt like crap, no energy, doctors telling me nothing is wrong, illness after illness for months on end, weight gain beyond what should be possible given the food intake & exercise )

It isnt a good read if all you are looking for is a diet or exercise book and it isnt a good read if you are not open to the organic detoxify your life concept. I'm good with organic and limit my plastic but I dont know that I am going to change my eyeshadow or moisturizer.

I do question how much science is behind a lot of the claims but on the other hand NOT doing some of these things hasnt worked for me.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

I am very interested in this, what a great post! I think that I have a thyroid problem ( I was 200lbs at the age of 11 and I don't know why). I have had a blood test or two that involved thyroid testing, and the dr said it was normal. I still refuse to believe it. Is there a way I could get more info on naturally treating this problem? Thanks!
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

mescelestus - did you have a TSH test only or a T4 level check? Most doctors will only do the TSH test as a first screening and only order the full panel if TSH is out of whack. My TSH is only slightly elevated, but my T4 level is off. In otherwords the signal to MAKE the hormones is only a little off but still in the normal range, but the hormones are not actually being made at the rate you would expect given a normal level.

Depending on what state you live in a naturopath can be a good option, they prefer a tighter range. But in some states anyone can hang out a naturopath shingle and in other states they have more education. Mine actually went through medical school and then decided to become a naturopath instead and went through naturopath so she is a rare naturopath MD.

The book talks quite a bit about the relationship between the different hormones. If you have a serious thyroid problem, you need a medical doctor. But if you are just a little off there may be things you can do with diet, exercise and chemical detoxification of your environment.

Or, the problem may not be thyroid. I struggle with excessive hunger which is more likely leptin and ghrelin. etc.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #4  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

mescelestus - Go to stopthethyroidmadness.com. The people and info there has helped me a lot. My doc said my thyroid was normal, but through testing at an independent lab, I found out I was hypo. And then later I found out my adrenals were bad, and that my estrogen is very high. So I recommend going there and seeking help.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote