Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #1  

Default Trying again...

I'm beginning to become of the mindset of diets don't work. Is there a group on 3FC that focuses more on making better choices, rather than an actual "diet?" Sorry if this is a silly question, I just wasn't sure which group to look at.
texasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC.

Diets, in my opinion don't work so I opted this time for a lifestyle change and I have finally lost a significant amount of weight without "falling off the wagon" and giving up like in the past. I do calorie counting. It is fairly easy, flexible and FREE. You can check out more about it at our Diet Central along with other eating plans here - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#diet-central

Good luck with your goals

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #3  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Your absolutely right. A diet doesn't work if when you have lost the weight you are immediately going to go back to your old habits. Also, most "diets" will restrict something you like so dramatically that you will have a hard time sticking to them. One thing I like about this site is that most people are committed to losing weight as a lifestyle change and working on ways to incorporate food choice changes and exercise into your current lifestyle on a permanent basis. It's hard work, but you'll get there!

For me, calorie counting works. I don't have to "give up" anything. I just have to count it and budget it in. For exercise, DVD's work for me. I can easily get some variety in, and I don't have to waste time going back and forth to the gym.

It's been slow and steady for me this time. What I'm liking though, is even when I fall off the wagon, I'm not backsliding. I am maintaining. Which means that my diet / exercise changes are sticking!

Also, after a few weeks, or a couple months, I'll get back into it and move forward a few more pounds.
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #4  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

There are so many great groups around here. The age groups arent based on diet. Also there are groups for whole food diets if that what you are more focused on. Look around im sure you will find a few places to call home.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #5  
yoovie

I've just found that keeping a food diary where my calories and nutrition are tracked keeps me accountable for what I put into my body. I'm less likely to eat a bunch of crap if I have to answer to myself for it at the end of the day.

livestrong.com lets you track your calories eaten, subtracts the ones you burned and tells you your net calories for the day. But i started by just writing them on a dry erase board on the fridge so that everytime I went to open the door, I saw how recently I ate, and thought about whether or not I'd done anything since then.

Good luck!!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #6  
The Ayatolla of Coca-Cola

S/C/G: 240/200/159

Height: 5'7-1/2

I have to agree with the others - I don't think diets that limit the 'type' of food you eat work in the long run. Look at all the people that say "I was on XXX diet and I lost 70 pounds and now I've gained it back"

Don't get me wrong you can definitely lose weight on a diet - but IMO that is LESS than 1/2 the battle. The real battle is to KEEP the weight off. I think someone who loses 30 pounds and keeps it off is far more successful (and healthy) than someone who yo-yos.

I find that with a total calorie count and no limit on what I eat, what happens is that you automagically start making some better eating choices. Eating a lot of crap food HURTS because you become hungrier faster. At the same time, being able to slide some 'bad' foods in there every once in a while keeps you from feeling 'deprived' leading to depression and giving up.

Last edited by kochevnik; 10-06-2009 at 02:36 PM.
kochevnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #7  
yoovie

^ right on! and automagically is my new fave word!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #8  
The Ayatolla of Coca-Cola

S/C/G: 240/200/159

Height: 5'7-1/2

haha I think I got that word from my dad - he's got a lot of good ones like that.
kochevnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #9  

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I guess I'll nose around and read some of the threads in the age groups, and the calorie counting groups. I definitely don't do well on diets that restrict certain foods or food groups, so calorie counting may be the way to go. I actually intended to hit the ground running today, but to be honest I haven't eaten much of anything other than liquids. I seem to have come down with the flu - not swine flu, just regular flu. So, looks like I will be dwelling on my couch for a few days. Guess that gives me plenty of time to read the forums and get to know you all better! Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to finding support and great ideas here!
texasmama is offline   Reply With Quote