Old 10-06-2009, 04:33 AM   #1  
Carol

Unhappy Worst Mistake Ever

Hello Group,

I do not post to often here, but I am always lurking in the wings. Well, I feel like a made the worst mistake ever today. I felt so desperate to do something. I joined Medi Weightloss Center. Their program is all about proteins. Staying in keytosis. I have to pee on a stick I guess everyday. A plan I said I would never ever do.

Let me explain why I did this. A few months ago I decided to really get serious about going to the gym, eating all the rights foods, not eating after 7:00. I took on the "I am going to do it this time" attitude. I was doing so well even going to the gym 4 and 5 days aweek. 1 hour cardio on the treadmill at speed level of three and an average incline between 8 - 15. I was doing it. Burning 600 - 700 calories in an hour.

I now have a very painful case of Achilles Tendonitis and I have plantar fashiatis. Another problem with by foot. Have not been able to do cardio for about 5 weeks now. I am so upset because it seems that I am doomed to be fat. I am at 210 pounds as of today. Now you see why I felt as though I had to join such an extreem weight loss program.

I am so afraid that I am going to end up sick from eating only proteins, getting vitamin B12 and B6 shots, taking fat burners and what ever esle is in that bag they gave me. I can only eat 500 calories a day. That is sick.

I just had to vent to someone. Who better than this wonderful forum.
carols2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #2  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I'm sorry. I've never tried something so extreme. I don't know what to say. I can relate to the foot problems, though. I had plantar fashiatis (sp) before, and it did go away eventually. They make these ace bandages you can use to help it feel better. Just look in your local drug store by the foot stuff. None of the shoe inserts helped me, but the ace bandage helped tremendously.
I don't know what to say about the Medi Weightloss center. I've never heard of it, and I would say you should talk to a doctor about this. It seems very extreme. Good luck!
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Please go see a podiatrist or a sports physician about your tendonitis and plantar fasciitis. I have had plantar fasciitis, and the main culprit is wearing worn-out shoes or the wrong shoes to work out. You really have to have good quality athletic shoes, especially at higher weight.

Plantar fasciitis take a long time to heal, and for awhile you'll have to put on supportive shoes the moment you get out of bed. You should not consider exercise until it clears up.

I don't know what to say about the weight loss plan except that it would not be something I would choose. Have you signed any contract? Is there a period of time when you can leave the program without losing a lot of money? You ought to take your concerns to the doctor who is in charge of the program and insist on answers. I'd also suggest you go to your regular doc and ask about it.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #4  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Weight loss is 80% eating right. You can lose weight by simply walking around and eating healthy. Healthy as in 1400 calories, not 500. 500 is unhealthy.

We get fat after years of eating badly. To maintain a weight of 210 you must have to eat 2700 calories per day, so 1400 will be a significant different that doesn't have to be starving yourself, doesn't require you to hurt yourself at the gym, allows you to eat as many proteins as healthy and no weird 'fat burner' supplement nonsense.

You know, you might try swimming! Maybe it'll be easier on the pain. I hope you've seen a doctor and considered some physiotherapy? You probably hurt yourself by juping in so hard.

Edit: I'm sorry - I didn't realise the center involved contracts and that significant amount of money. Maybe it can work out to the best if you fudge it a little, if you're stuck? Heck, or you could investigate it to see if its unhealthy and do a public expose.

Last edited by souvenirdarling; 10-06-2009 at 07:26 AM.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #5  
Carol

Default MY mistake

Thank you sou much for responding. I am currently under the care of a foot doctor and a Physical Therapist. I have had cortisone injections in both feet, I have orthotics that I wear, I also have something call air cast I wear around the house, and I wear ZCoil shoes. I have been dealing with the Plantar fasciitis for years. I am always in foot pain. The Achilles Tendonitis is new.

I am just so desperate, and not being able to go to the gym has me so worried. I have this mind set when you work out, you have to push yourself and not be no "WIMP". The Biggest Losser attitude. I also used to be the the Army. So I push myself very hard. But, I have to remember that I am not 25 any more. I am now 50 and I guess I should not try to forcee my body to do what it did 25 years ago. Especially after periods of very little to no activity. I have always exercised. Just not consistently.

I paid the weight loss center $267 non refunable dollars. $70 per week. No contracts though. So, I can stop going any time I want. It says in the contract, no refunds for any reason. The program is doctor supervised. I will talk to my family doctor as soon as I can.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Low carb plans can be heathly, but a plan that's very low carb AND very low calorie needs to be doctor supervised. Ideally, though it would be nice to have your family doctor supervising in additon to the center-doc, just as an added precaution.

I also have issues with my feet. I am also prone to plantar's fasciitis, but have been flare-free for about three years. It took about ten years to get it under control though. I also have broken bones in my left foot, that will never heal (though my doctor says that while the bones will never heal, they won't necessarily always cause me pain - most days I can walk pain-free, but if I walk a lot or if it's cold and damp, then they start to ache badly).

If you can find a warm-water therapy aquatics program in your area, it's a fantastic way to exercise - as strenuously as you 'd like, without risking injury. The Arthritis Foundation in your area can refer you if there's a local program. Often these are in partnership with the YMCA's or other private or public indoor pools, so you could also call and ask facilities with indoor pools. Often the cost is very nominal or free or is paid for by medical insurances and medical savings account. You may need a doctor's referral.

It's awesome. Swimming in a standard pool is great too, but if you have joint or muscle pain, the warm water pools are pure heaven (personally, I'd love to LIVE in one. I'd spend most of the day in warm water, if I could).

Usually the water isn't so warm that it's hard to exercise in, it's just warm enough that it's comfortable immediately as you get into the water - there's no adjustment period or "shock". I can't do cold water swimming anymore, it freezes up my joints and hurts, but the warm water is sheer bliss.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #7  

If that's the worst mistake you've ever made you're in good shape! It sounds extreme, yes, but maybe that's just what you need? 500 calories a day isn't much but the protein should keep you from being too hungry. It'd be great if you could get your weight down so when your foot's feeling better you'd have a great new starting point for exercise and new motivation! I'd give it a real shot and if you find it's just not right for you, don't go back. And I agree with everyone else, I'd talk to your personal doctor too just to make sure everything goes safely. Good luck with everything!!!
MandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #8  
Alicia :)

Height: 5'2"

Wow! I did low-carb (100g) a day and it ended up messing up my GI system. I now eat 1 serving of 100% whole grains (to keep me regular), and then meats, veggies, and fruits. I eat more chicken than beef since I have high cholesterol, but I'll eat a hamburger occasionally. I've lost weight at the same pace as the low carb, and I feel a lot healthier, too. My GI tract is regular again, and I'm not hating life because of the feeling that low carb gave me.

Please get a second professional opinion and take care of yourself! If you lose weight an unhealthy way, then you are defeating the purpose of getting healthy!
akelly728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:01 AM   #9  
Carol

Again, thank you all for your responses. I have an appointment next week to see my primary care Doc. I am curious to see what he says. In the past he has told me several times I need to get the weight off of course. I will see what he says next week. I'm going to Sprouts (our so called Farmers market) within the next few days to find some type of fiber supplement. I tried Benefiber in the pass. Did not agree with me.

There are no facilities in my area with an indoor pool. Water sports would be great, but I don't have that as an option. I do know of a physical therapy location that has a pool. Something else I can discuss with my doctor. I also would have to get approval from my insurance. Not sure about that, but no harm in trying.

I will also try revising the plan a little so I get a few more calories. I can not see how an extra 200 can keep me from losing. That is still only 700 calories. I guess I will take it slow and see what happens.

Mandy, you are so right. If I could get rid of some of the weight, my feet may improve.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carols2 View Post
There are no facilities in my area with an indoor pool. Water sports would be great, but I don't have that as an option. I do know of a physical therapy location that has a pool. Something else I can discuss with my doctor. I also would have to get approval from my insurance. Not sure about that, but no harm in trying.
In our local area, there are two warm water programs, and both are also certified physical therapy programs. One is a dedicated warm water therapy pool in the local Health Care Center, and until last year the cost was only $2.50 per visit (and $3.50 for 2 or more people in the same household). They've had to raise the prices, and it's nearly double that now. We never tried to get Medicare (both hubby and I are on Medicare) reimbursement, before because the price was so reasonable, but this year we're trying to decide between trying to get it covered or reimbursed - or choosing the other warm water pool option - the local YMCA, which is affiliated with the hospital. The hospital funded half and YMCA funded half so it's both a YMCA and a hospital physical therapy program. It may be cheaper in the long run to go with a YMCA membership - and there would be other exercise options also.

The only problem with the YMCA locations, is that the water temperature isn't always as warm, as the dedicated warm water therapy pools.

I'd definitely talk to your doctor about it, because it may be a lot more accessible and reasonably price than you might think (we were definitely surprised. Even at twice the old price, it's still cheaper than going to a movie).

Last edited by kaplods; 10-08-2009 at 02:39 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #11  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

500 calories?!? I would run far, far away!
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

My friend is doing that same program right now. She's lost 25 lbs so far and hasn't had any complications. It does sound like an extreme diet. I don't think I could do it at all, but I've been tempted by her results. But if you're really that concerned about this program, don't do it. You need a program that works for you and that you believe in. You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight, it helps, a lot, but you can lose weight by eating healthy and creating a calorie deficit. You really need to do what you're comfortable with
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #13  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

my husband is on this plan. it is 1000 cals for men plus what you exercise. i would 1/2 what the machines say and what the online calculators say becaise I think they are high. that said, you should be able to eat more than the 500 cals.

my husband has lost 80 lbs and really the furst few weeks were tough for him, but in the end has really liked it. he eats tons of fruit and veggies, protien and his own whole wheat bread and low carb tortillas.

hang in there. it will get better
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #14  

Some shoe inserts with good cushioning would help with the plantar fasciitis problem and also proper bandaging of the heel.
ErwinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/195/150

Height: 5'1

70 dollars a week with no contract and such an unhealthy diet plan? Not even a pool? Sounds like you got swindled into a scam place.. there's got to be some kind of certification verification or something.
saintxio is offline   Reply With Quote