Old 10-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 311.5/289.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Default I hate digital scales!

Okay, I know the real problem is that I'm letting my life be affected by the number on the scale, but I expect some reward for sticking to my food plan and exercising, for pete's sake.

My son has a great scale that matches the doctor's in accuracy, but it costs over $300.00 so forget that. So, I stuck with this scale that has a different weight every time I get on it.

I have a ritual each time. First, it's sitting on a piece of plywood so the floor is totally flat. First I move it a little, then I step on it partially and let it weigh once because I've noticed it weighs lower sometimes on the first try. Then I step on ONCE and take that weight as the official one.

BUT, this morning, after a week (and only my second week of following a meal plan) of not losing anything at all, it suddenly (whoose) said I had lost 3.5lbs. I could hardly believe it so against all instincts I stepped on it again; the loss went down to 2lbs and then 1lb. Crap.

Has anyone found a scale that doesn't do this. And doesn't cost $300.00.

The good news is that I'm no longer 300 anything. I'm 200 something!
Suezeeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

this scale has TONS Of 5 star reviews, I don't own it, but was about to buy it before I realized I had a wii fit collecting dust. :P

but some other ladies here ran out and bought it when I made a post about it and they all seem to love it and said it's very accurate:

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Digit...760263&sr=8-27
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #3  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I got tired of my digital scale as well. I ended up buying Health o meter 402EXP upright scale. It was a bit pricy but I love it...it cost me about $140 from amazon.

Last edited by pintobean; 10-05-2009 at 12:39 PM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I bought my scale for $30 at Costco. It is a Weight Watchers/conair scale. You do have to measure yourself on a hard surface though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 364/337/160

Height: 5'4"

I understand where you are coming from Sueze, I have a scale that does the same thing. Personally I weigh in once a week at my doctors clinic, there is a scale in the lobby that is partitioned off for privacy. I will step on it a dozen times and take the number that pops up the most (it measures in 10th of pound). Perhaps this maybe an option for you, but it does sound like you need to toss that scale out...good luck
fluffykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 268/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

I paid $30.00 for a HealthMeter Scale at walmart. It works fine. I weigh on a hard surface and in the same spot, but I get the same reading everytime I step on it. Plus it will let up to 4 family members weigh, and track the weight for each one seperately.

I use this scale: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10264539

(It wouldn't let me put it in link format, sorry)

Last edited by S.A.S.H; 10-05-2009 at 06:34 PM.
S.A.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #7  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Before buying a new scale, put in fresh batteries! I had a terrible time with our scale when we first got it--and that did the trick!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #8  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S.H View Post
I paid $30.00 for a HealthMeter Scale at walmart. It works fine. I weigh on a hard surface and in the same spot, but I get the same reading everytime I step on it. Plus it will let up to 4 family members weigh, and track the weight for each one seperately.

I use this scale: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10264539

(It wouldn't let me put it in link format, sorry)

Hey, that's my scale too
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #9  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on getting out of the 300s! It is an awesome feeling to see that 2 on the scale.

I have a digital scale that I bought from Walmart for around 30 dollars and it works fine. A couple things to check:

- is the weight limit high enough? Some scales have a maximum weight - that is something I had to watch for when I bought mine.

- did you try fresh batteries? When mine started going all wonky with different weights, I put in a new battery and that did the trick.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #10  
Just keeping on truckin'

S/C/G: 265/240/114

Height: 5'2

It's sooo frustrating when that happens! Especially when your self-esteem and mood for the day are all caught up in that stupid number. I tend to only use the upright scale at the gym, but they just replaced it with a stupid digital one!
PinkFlamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suezeeque View Post

BUT, this morning, after a week (and only my second week of following a meal plan) of not losing anything at all, it suddenly (whoose) said I had lost 3.5lbs. I could hardly believe it so against all instincts I stepped on it again; the loss went down to 2lbs and then 1lb. Crap.
Oh dear, this happens to me all the time! The first weight is the lowest, then the second, then the third is higher...

The sad thing is that I did buy a new scale because my first one was even worse!

I may try the new battery trick.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #12  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I have a Tanita digital. I think it set me back around $80. Worth every penny. A careless house guest flooded the bathroom where it lives once and soaked it and I thought it was a goner, but I just let it dry out, replaced the battery, and it was right back in action and as accurate as ever. Believe me, no matter *how* hard I try, I cannot get that scale to spit out a different number once it's weighed me for the day. It's cruel sometimes, but it's honest.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #13  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suezeeque View Post
I have a ritual each time. First, it's sitting on a piece of plywood so the floor is totally flat. First I move it a little, then I step on it partially and let it weigh once because I've noticed it weighs lower sometimes on the first try. Then I step on ONCE and take that weight as the official one.
Just wondering why the piece of plywood? Is that on top of carpet? If so, then the scale will be inaccurate because of the movement between the ply and the carpet. Same as if you put the scale directly on the carpet, but intensified because of the extra layer.

If it's on tiles, then I get that.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 311.5/289.5/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottie63 View Post
this scale has TONS Of 5 star reviews, I don't own it, but was about to buy it before I realized I had a wii fit collecting dust. :P

but some other ladies here ran out and bought it when I made a post about it and they all seem to love it and said it's very accurate:

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Digit...760263&sr=8-27
Thanks for the tip. I went to Amazon and you were right: there were lots of really good reviews. So, I bought one. Free shipping and it was on sale. Such a deal! I'm looking forward to no more frustrating weigh-in's.
Suezeeque is offline   Reply With Quote