Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #1  

Default Stuck? Or is it me?

Hi! I've been trying to shed the last 7-10 lbs for the past month, and although I've tried my best to stick to exercising 45 mins to an hour daily, along with walking to work, I've been stuck at the same weight. It's very frustrating! I'm eating steadily about 1200 calories a day. I've tried to vary my exercise routine by doing boxing classes and badminton, however, we recently had to move house because of a flood that ruined our home... so I've been unable to do anything except go to the gym...

Am desperate for help, especially since it's the last few pounds! Any tips?

Thanks!
evince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 168/168/130

I´ve heard calorie cycling is great for that...
Sapitaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/166/139

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evince View Post
Hi! I've been trying to shed the last 7-10 lbs for the past month, and although I've tried my best to stick to exercising 45 mins to an hour daily, along with walking to work, I've been stuck at the same weight. It's very frustrating! I'm eating steadily about 1200 calories a day. I've tried to vary my exercise routine by doing boxing classes and badminton, however, we recently had to move house because of a flood that ruined our home... so I've been unable to do anything except go to the gym...

Am desperate for help, especially since it's the last few pounds! Any tips?

Thanks!
A couple of days of eating higher-than-normal calories, consisting of healthy but different food from what I usually eat, usually bumps the scale down a few pounds for me. Make not to weigh yourself RIGHT after you do this, because you'll likely have gained a temporary few pounds of water and food weight.

So try the "eating holiday", wait two days for the water and food to clear your system, then get on the scale. Doesn't work for everyone, but for some reason I find it works every time for me - and it's fun to take a little holiday! As long as you KNOW you will be able to get right back on track. If you are afraid that it will lead back into a bad cycle then probably best not to try it.
SunnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hmmm. Not much info to go by. Just wondering how much you've already lost, in what time frame? What you currently weigh and what you're looking to weigh and what height you are.

Also wondering what method you used to lose the weight that you have already lost.

Another question or two. What KINDS of foods are you eating? Those 1200 calories? Have you been faithfully tracking for the past month? Every bite, lick, taste and crumb? Is there any way you've under estimated? Have you been totally and completely consistent? No days over?

A little more info and we may be better equipped to give you a more informed answer...
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #5  

rockinrobin

I've not actually lost, I've been at this plateau for a month. Prior, I haven't lost anything because my weight was increasing. I'm 5'3.

I'm eating pretty much all fresh foods, whole grain cereal and fruit in the mornings typically, vegetables and fish for dinner and lunch. I prepare about 80% of my food myself, and use a kitchen scale for portions. Only when I eat out, which is probably 2-4 times a week, is when I can't measure exact portions. Though I almost always ask for a dry grill/cook and separate dressings and sauces.

Hope that's more info
Old 10-04-2009, 09:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyP View Post
A couple of days of eating higher-than-normal calories, consisting of healthy but different food from what I usually eat, usually bumps the scale down a few pounds for me. Make not to weigh yourself RIGHT after you do this, because you'll likely have gained a temporary few pounds of water and food weight.

So try the "eating holiday", wait two days for the water and food to clear your system, then get on the scale. Doesn't work for everyone, but for some reason I find it works every time for me - and it's fun to take a little holiday! As long as you KNOW you will be able to get right back on track. If you are afraid that it will lead back into a bad cycle then probably best not to try it.
I totally agree with this! It usually helps me when I (usually not intentionally) have a couple of high calorie days.

This is timely because I'm currently on day 4 of an "eating holiday"....I have people visiting me for a few days. :P Back to the grind tomorrow, though.

I'd forgotten how much I love my favorite restaurants/foods.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm sorry, I'm still confused. You mentioned that you wanted to lose the LAST 7 - 10 lbs, so I assumed that you had already lost some weight, but this is not the case??? Also you don't mention how much you currently weigh. I'm not trying to be nosy, but it would give a little more insight into your "situation".

So you've been trying to lose weight for just a month, with zero results? Hmmm, well could be that eating out 2 - 4 x a week that you are underestimating your calories. Restaurants have a funny way of sneaking in lots of hidden calories. Again, depending on what you weigh, if you're that close to your ideal weight, it will be harder to create a calorie deficit and every added calorie will make it that much more difficult. Perhaps you'd like to cut back on those restaurant meals, this way you know EXACTLY how many calories you're consuming. Or choose restaurants that provide nutritional info.

And then there's the exercise. Are you doing cardio? Strength training? Do you have a sedentary job? Or an active one?

Again depending on your BMI, it just may be harder to create that calorie deficit and you may have to be extra vigilant.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evince View Post
rockinrobin

I've not actually lost, I've been at this plateau for a month. Prior, I haven't lost anything because my weight was increasing. I'm 5'3.

I'm eating pretty much all fresh foods, whole grain cereal and fruit in the mornings typically, vegetables and fish for dinner and lunch. I prepare about 80% of my food myself, and use a kitchen scale for portions. Only when I eat out, which is probably 2-4 times a week, is when I can't measure exact portions. Though I almost always ask for a dry grill/cook and separate dressings and sauces.

Hope that's more info

This is not enough info to give advice on. 1200 calories are ok to eat if you're relatively thin and getting to your goal, but it's absolutely dangerous if you're 200lbs (and by dangerous I mean you won't see any weight loss with such few calories).

I think it's great you're eating healthy and watching portions but at the end of the day it's calories in calories out that account for weight loss so you might have to pay attention to your caloric intake more carefully based on how much you weigh now.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I'm sorry, I'm still confused. You mentioned that you wanted to lose the LAST 7 - 10 lbs, so I assumed that you had already lost some weight, but this is not the case??? Also you don't mention how much you currently weigh. I'm not trying to be nosy, but it would give a little more insight into your "situation".

So you've been trying to lose weight for just a month, with zero results? Hmmm, well could be that eating out 2 - 4 x a week that you are underestimating your calories. Restaurants have a funny way of sneaking in lots of hidden calories. Again, depending on what you weigh, if you're that close to your ideal weight, it will be harder to create a calorie deficit and every added calorie will make it that much more difficult. Perhaps you'd like to cut back on those restaurant meals, this way you know EXACTLY how many calories you're consuming. Or choose restaurants that provide nutritional info.

And then there's the exercise. Are you doing cardio? Strength training? Do you have a sedentary job? Or an active one?

Again depending on your BMI, it just may be harder to create that calorie deficit and you may have to be extra vigilant.
Hi rockinrobin

I sent you a private message, hope you got it?

evince