Exercise! - Another 4 wk.walking challenge PLEASE JOIN!

jacksonmom
07-22-2002, 10:36 PM
I'm starting another walking challenge. All you have to do is figure out how many miles you want to walk, ride, etc. in 4 weeks and post your goal. Then every Sun. post your weekly totals. I will tally up a list every Sun. If you don't count your exercise through mileage (i.e. exercise tapes, etc) You can figure out how long it would take for you to walk a mile and count that time to equal one mile. For example if you can walk a mile in 15 min. then every 15 min. of aerobics would count as one mile. If that doesn't make sense maybe someone else who has done the first challenge could explain it better. Just ask. The challenge will be from Mon 7/22- Sun 8/19.

Jacksonmom...goal 50 mi

Semo...goal 50 mi

Karena...goal 80 mi

Happy2bme...goal 25 mi

madtypist...goal 100 mi

Kina...goal 40 mi

SEMO
07-23-2002, 10:41 AM
I'm in........ this is just what I needed! I've been settin on the fence for about three months now and just can't seem to get myself motivated to exercise again.
I'll make a commitment of 50 miles or equivalent time exercising with tapes. When do we start!

Karena
07-23-2002, 12:35 PM
Hi all, my goal is 80 miles walking with my faithful pup Biscuit. You'd be amazed how owning a dog affects your walking! Even on 90 degree days I don't feel like it because of the heat, I still go 1-2 miles to get him some exercise so he doesn't destroy the house. He's a one year old jack russell that I CANNOT wear out, no matter how long I walk, although the heat and humidity does take some out of him.

It also helps that my 6 year daughter now likes to join me on her bicycle. When she walked with me, she dallied so much I couldn't stand taking her along, but now that she's mastered two wheels, I can't keep up with her.

I love this thread and hope we can all motivate each other.

happy2bme
07-23-2002, 05:47 PM
Hi Jacksonmom -
You bet we need this thread. Thanks for starting it! My goal will be 25 miles in by 8/19. It's more than I'm doing now and includes a week of vacation right before the challenge ends.

Happy2bme - goal 25 miles

jacksonmom
07-23-2002, 10:07 PM
I added all of you to the list.

Semo we started on Mon. so you can start your mileage from there. If you haven't started yet there is still PLENTY of time!

All everyone has to do is at least post your weekly totals by Sun. I'm so glad all of you joined. Our last challenge was very successful. TTYL

SEMO
07-24-2002, 09:31 AM
Good Morning All. Off to a good start already, I did two miles this morning on my exercise machine before work. Up until about six months ago I was so faithful exercising and then I skipped a week then that became two and well you get the idea. Now I'm not only lazy, but have put about 15 pounds back on. YUCK! Well today is a new day and so I begin with dropping all that happen yesterday and looking forward from this point. ;)
Not much time for posting as I work full time but will check in when time permits. Hope you have a great day.

Karena
07-24-2002, 12:49 PM
Semo, I know exactly where you're coming from. I lost over 50 pounds two years ago and exercised every day. Then I gave myself a day's "vacation", which turned into two, three - you get the picture. I ended up gaining back the 50 and then some! I just got serious in March and have lost 30. I learned my lesson and know that this time its for life! Not just to get in bikini by next summer.

Anyway I'm sneaking online at work, so I better run.

madtypist
07-24-2002, 06:50 PM
Hi

I will up my goal to 100 miles this time and see what I can do this month. I have been out riding my bike every night this week so far....

Have a great week ladies..

:) Thanks for doing the posting Jacksonmom.

:) Suzanne

Kina
07-25-2002, 12:37 AM
Hi everyone. I found you all. It took a while but I found you. Well count me in for 25 Jacksonmom. The kids are back in school and I won't be getting as much exercise. I will start working soon along with my own college courses. You know what that is a bad excuse to not get in much exercise put me down for 40. I think I can do it.

On the other hand does anyone know how many steps does it take to do 2 miles? I have a stepper now and I can't do as much as I usually do around the track. The stepper has tension which makes it hard to go as long. But I wanted to convert my steps into the equal amount of mileage. So if anyone could help me out in converting that I would greatly appreciate it.

Well good luck. Take care. Corina

happy2bme
07-25-2002, 01:07 AM
Good heavens 100 miles! Gee I sure do feel like a weenie with my 25 mile pledge. But I do other cardio and strength training as part of my program and I don't want to compromise that. But you have motivated me to try and beat that goal - I've already done 3 days this week where without this challenge I might have only done 1 so far.

Corina in answer to your question I did a little hunting on the Internet. As far as walking goes - 10,000 steps is about 5 miles - 2,000 steps would be a mile. But that's walking and you cover more distance as you take a step. If you really wanted to get precise and geeky, measure the stride on your stepper. There's 5,280 feet in a mile. If one stride/step covers 1 foot, you'd have to do 5,280 steps to cover a mile. It's way too late now for me to find the measuring tape and check my stepper but that would be my suggestion.

SEMO
07-25-2002, 10:11 AM
Just popping in to say hello. Two days exercising, think I'm on a roll!!!:)

Happy2Bme: I've been lurking on your Pilates thread, I have the Winsor tapes and have been trying to learn. At 52 years of age..It Aint Easy. I live in a rural area so there aren't instructors around so I'm going strickly by videos.

KarenA: I've realized the hard fact too, that If I don't exercise I can not maintain a weight loss or now get back to where I was. Exercise is just like a lot of other things....you just have to do it. Sort of like brushing your teeth, I don't really enjoy it but I do it.

What other types of exercise/diets are you guys doing?

Better run before the boss comes thru my office.

jacksonmom
07-25-2002, 12:01 PM
Welcome madtypist and Kina. I was beginning to wonder if anyone from the first challenge was coming back. Kina I'm sure you'll do the 40 mi. You hit your goal last time in 3 wks. I have no idea about the stepper. I do know that those steppers are a KILLER! I don't think I would last very long on one. Glad to see everyone is doing so well with there exercising. I have not done well but I have couple of days to make up so I better get busy. TTYL

happy2bme
07-25-2002, 11:43 PM
Hi All,
Semo I am 48 so I know what you mean about things being tougher this time around, but I'm trying more than I did when I was younger. At least I don't take things for granted anymore.

For my exercise routine on cardio I combine treadmill, swimming, and the Lifecycle - might even dust the old stepper off again. For strength training I use free weights, a flex ball and a stretchy band. I also started working with a personal trainer for 1 hour a week. He is the most awesome person, heaven sent. He's a great guy who stresses fit over buff - buff will come in time he says. After I'm done I can barely turn the steering wheel in the car but I love it because he pushes me more than what I'd do myself. Each week I learn new techniques to keep variety and interest. This week we did boxing for the cardio portion - talk about a work out. I have seen a definite improvement in strength, stamina and a tighter body.

For food I opted not to go the WW route this time, instead chose an "eat for your body type" kind of program. It's similar to the Body for Life and God's Diet programs - very restricted on fats, sugar, salt, dairy and simple carbs. Very little if any processed foods - most everything I eat is fresh and prepared at home where I can control the portions and seasonings. I've lost 15 pounds so far and am happy with it. My body really resists giving up the blubber.

If lard melts in the sun, why doesn't body fat? Have a good week all...

Kina
07-27-2002, 11:18 AM
Jacksonmom, I am not getting in as much exercise as I had in the past. But I am going to work at it. Wow there are alot of new people on the thread. That is great. Well I have to say this thread is a great way to help maintain your exercise routine. Which will then in turn help you to lose weight. I know that is exactly what it has done for me. I will report in tomorrow. Bye. kina

madtypist
07-27-2002, 10:20 PM
Hi Everyone:

Just got back from a bike ride, I say the same thing that Semo said that exercising becomes a habit like brushing your teeth. I can put in a lot more miles riding my bike than I can by walking. I walk in the winter and usually ride my bike from April - November, or until the roads are covered in snow.
:( don;t even want to think of the snow.. ugh......

I have made bike riding a habit, and I don't feel good unless I go for my ride. I also watch what I eat everyday, I follow WW when I get out of control... it is a lot easier to get out and exercise in the summer than in the colder weather.

So far this week my total is 34 miles. Have a great week ladies........

;) Suzanne

Karena
07-27-2002, 10:52 PM
Hi all, Semo, isn't the minimize button great at work! In addition to walking I strength train with free weights 30-40 minutes a day-alternating upper and lower. Some days I really enjoy and look forward to my workouts, and some days its more like flossing my teeth (to carry the dental comparison on!)

Kina, I understand the time problem. I work full-time, work out an hour or two a day, and have a 6 year daughter to spend time with. Some days after all that, I just fall into bed. I can't imagine adding attending college myself to that!

Happy2BMe, I would love to have a trainer awhile. Maybe I'll make that my birthday present to myself this year. Right after my full body massage I've promised myself this summer. I've never had one and that is on my to-do list! In exchange for babysitting a couple times, my friend offered to have a friend who works at a gym give me one. I'd love to, but to tell the truth I feel funny about someone seeing me naked (especially at this weight!) who I may see in a social setting. I'd rather have someone I don't know and no one I know knows! Does that sound dumb to anyone?

I also follow the Weight Watchers points program. I love summer for the fresh fruits and veggies from my parents garden. I'm also visiting the fitday.com website I read about on another thread. It is totally awesome! In just 10-15 minutes a day you can enter all your food eaten in a day and your exercise. It keeps track of it all and gives great reports on nutrition, calories burned, etc. I couldn't get on their site all day Thursday. I hope they're not overcome by visitors from 3FC and can't handle them all!

Madtypist-do you bike on the open road or trails? I would like to try biking, but the nearest trail is a good 20 minute drive away. I just don't trust the nuts in the cars! I'd feel better if bikers road against traffic like walkers, so you can see what's coming. I had tried it about 10 years ago and just felt like I was getting buzzed off the road.

Jacksonmom - hope you were able to get some exercise in the last couple days.

Sorry so long.... I'll post mileage tomorrow or Monday AM at work.

happy2bme
07-28-2002, 12:13 PM
Put me down for 10 miles for the week.

Normally I would have only done 4.5 on my regular routine so I am SOOO glad you started this thread. It's the extra kick I needed. Thanks Jacksonmom!

Karena - I do hope you get to treat yourself to that trainer present. If you do, just remember YOU ARE THE PAYING CLIENT. There's alot of scammers out there. Get someone who is interested in overall fitness and YOU as a person with regards to your fitness level and interests. As I told my trainer, his job is to push and mine is to whine. I do have some problems with a tennis elbow (tho I haven't touched a racket in 30 years) and discs in my neck. Certain types of things cause me pain and he keeps a keen eye for that and switches to alternatives. Like he says, you won't come back if you don't enjoy it - fatiguing as it might be, but it's a great feeling to keep exceeding your expectations. I can understand your reluctance about being seen naked at the gym, but I think it's one of those things that we think in our head more than what other people are thinking. I used to feel intimidated around the skinny girls at first but in reality, no one's really paying attention. Our gym has a few private dressing rooms - if you can nab one. Otherwise I wear a swim cover up or just say what dah heck! Besides, I think men are the only ones who really think about people in a naked state! :lol:

Madtypist - 34 miles already! Awesome... Semo, hope you continued your "roll" through the weekend. Jacksonmom and Kina, hope you found the motivation you needed to keep up with the pack here.

Have a great week...

Kina
07-28-2002, 12:26 PM
Hello to all. Mark me for 10 for the week Jacksonmom. I have the motivation to get my exercise. I just don't have the time as I did during the summer. Now that the kids are in school. I just don't have the time. Except in the wee hours of the evening. But once college classes start for me I don't think I will even have that for me. But last night I was able to get my yoga and a good workout on the stepper and twister. I hope to get my aerobics in all this week on top of my stepper, twister, and yoga. I still can't go out to the track too many mosquitos.

I am on my way out to my mom's she bought a new exercise machine from a garage sale. I think it is an elliptical machine. She doesn't know what that is but I have been wanting to get one so I know what it looks like. I think that is what she has by her description. Well talk later. kina

jacksonmom
07-28-2002, 06:13 PM
Weekly totals! I have not gotten everyone's . I will update list as I get them.

Jacksonmom...goal 50 mi...5

Kina...goal 40 mi...10

Semo...goal 50mi...5

Karena...goal 80 mi...30

Happy2bme...goal 25...10

madtypist...goal 100...34

jacksonmom
07-28-2002, 06:15 PM
Evryone did very good on there weekly mileage. I know I didn't but I'm not worried I have 3 wks. to make it up. Glad people are getting motivation from this. Everyone keep up the good work and keep posting!

Karena
07-28-2002, 10:25 PM
My total for the week is 30-thats more than I've done lately. I think this thread is really motivating. Hang in there Jacksonmom some weeks are better than others.

Happy2bme-its not being seen naked in the dressing room that makes me squeamish. It's my friend's friend giving me a total body massage (nude), then possibly going to a get-together that she's at. It would just be too weird, I think! Thanks for the advice on the trainer. I take it you meet your trainer at the gym??

Karena
07-28-2002, 10:27 PM
Does anyone else thing the GMT western Europe time zone is odd? Don't the 3FC live in the USA?

It looks like I was online for the last post at 3:30 Monday morning, when it was actually 10:30pm Sunday evening!

happy2bme
07-28-2002, 10:50 PM
Karena -
The time zone on your profile might be off. At the top of the page under the 3FC's Healthy Weight Loss Support Forum heading, right under that you'll see PROFILE | REGISTER | CALENDAR, etc.
Click on PROFILE, then click on EDIT OPTIONS at the top of that page. About 2/3's down the page you'll see TIME ZONE. You're in PA so change that to EASTERN - which I believe is your time zone. Click on the bottom of the page on the button to SAVE CHANGES and your time and postings will appear correct. When you first register this is set by default to some other time zone, can't remember which one.

And yeah, I missed that you were talking about the massage. I agree with you, would rather have a total stranger handle that one myself. And yes, I do meet my trainer at the gym - he's an employee there. Although I have a basement full of all sorts of gym equipment, at least at the gym I don't have to worry about cleaning up before someone comes over :lol:

Keep up the good work all!

SEMO
07-29-2002, 10:02 AM
Good Morning Ladies! I only have 5 miles to report for last week, BUT I took a vacation day and started painting my house Friday. My youngest son's girlfriend and I painted the living room, hallway, foyer, and walls that weren't wallpapered in the kitchen. OMGoodness was I tired and sore, up and down all day. I'm spring cleaning too, only a year or so behind! :o I have purchased wall paper for our bedroom and then want to paint my youngest son's bedroom, then I'm calling it quits for this summer. A little dirt is healthy, right?

Gotta get payroll done, back later.

jacksonmom
07-29-2002, 11:17 AM
Well I'm happy to report I'm back to my daily routine of exercising. I've already done my exercise for the day.

Karena- 30 miles already you are going to blow your goal away!

Semo- All that painting sure is a workout. ! That's great that you are getting all that housework done!

Everyone keep up the great work! TTYL

SEMO
07-30-2002, 09:18 AM
Good Morning All! I've already beat last weeks total of miles. WooHoo. I feel great this morning, don't know why I want to fight exercising when it makes me feel this good. Guess my lazy self beats out my sensible self. :(

Have a great day.

jacksonmom
07-30-2002, 07:14 PM
Another great day of exercising! WTG Semo on your exercising. I know what you mean about fighting doing the exercise eventhough you feel better when you do.

Kina- what are you going to school for? Why did you change from the frog to ms. piggy?

Hope everyone is doing great!

Kina
07-31-2002, 02:03 AM
Hi jacksonmom and the rest of the gang. Oh my picture. I love Ms. Piggy and Kermit. And as you know I love frogs. Now you're going to get to the crazy kid side of me...when I was a little girl growing I would fanatize that I was Ms. Piggy and kermit was in love with me and we would be married one day. LOL Strange and Delerious. Well actually I had many strange loves like that such as with Charlie Brown, Kermit, and there are others but I drew a blank and really them two were always at the top of the list. Call me crazy.

I am going to school for Business Administration or in easy going words CPA. But I just barely changed my major so I am at the bottom doing the core classes. I am really liking it.

On the other hand, Monday I started working at my seasonal job I work the 3rd shift. So I am not getting my exercise in as much. Does work count if it's NOT a desk job? I am standing for 8 hours moving trays this way and that way, and testing cotton over and over. Today I tested close to 700 cotton samples. That is the best I have ever done yet. I am going to shoot for the same tomorrow night. So anyway I am getting tired I need to jump in the shower and get some rest i have to do a few favors for my aunt tomorrow and every day for atleast a month. Aaaargh favors are the worst especially when they are everyday ones. that means it ties up your free time. Owell what is family for.

Talk to you later. So if you don't hear from me don't worry I am reading your posts. Just don't have much energy left to type at the end of the day. So when you think of asking where did Kina go off to? Someone should say she is out being a honest member of society...paying taxes and bringing home some of the bread. LOL. Aaaagh I think it very late for me and my thoughts are rambing. I better go. bye.
Corina

SEMO
07-31-2002, 09:52 AM
Good Morning Ladies. So far so good with the exercising, must say a challenge is a good thing for me.

Kina: I'm in cotton country too! It's not grown much more north than here. I work for a fertilizer and chemical company and my DH used to farm and at one time I worked at a cotton gin so I know about cotton. The guys (I'm the only female here) have been running test on cotton leaf samples and it smells like a cotton patch around here. I love it tho, I'm very much a country gal.

Worked on the storage room off the garage yesterday and picked up tree limbs in the yard. We had some rain finally but with that came some strong winds. I think just getting my house straighten up has helped put me in a better mood along with the exercising of course. LOL

Gotta run, have a busy morning. Hope you have a wonderful fun filled day.

happy2bme
08-01-2002, 01:50 AM
Hi Everyone,

Quickie post, hope everyone is doing well.

I had unexpected oral surgery on Monday. The desire to move is there, just a little short on the stamina side right now. I do have 5 miles in the log for the week thusfar, hope to make or beat last week's miles.

Will check in later, have a great week everyone.

Karena
08-01-2002, 10:56 AM
happy2bme-ouch! Hope you're feeling better soon.

Jacksonmom-last week was a bit of a fluke I'm afraid. I got alot of walking in because my daughter spent a couple days at her grandma's and then spent an evening at a friends house too. So I was able to take walks before and after work several days.

So far this week is 11 miles. Could really use a break from the heat and humidity!!

Karena
08-01-2002, 12:55 PM
Hey Happy2bme-it worked - the time zone change I mean! I thought I had already changed the zone to eastern - but I guess not.

Looks right now :)

SEMO
08-02-2002, 09:24 AM
Good Morning All, just a quick hello as I have a busy day today. DH has a travel meeting next week and I have decided to join him so I'll be out from Monday noon thru Wednesday. I'll report my mileage on Sunday, which by the way is looking good. I may even meet my halfway mark by then!!!!
Hope you all have a great weekend.

jacksonmom
08-02-2002, 10:04 AM
Hi everyone. Looks like y'all are doing good.

Happy2bme--ouch! I hope you feel better soon. I know I went to the dentist recently and had a few to many cavitities and now I'm a flossing machine. Don't want to have anymore work done. Can't imagine having oral surgery! TTYL

madtypist
08-03-2002, 09:36 PM
Hi to all:

We are sure having a great summer up here in Canada eh!!!!!!!!!

It has been hot,hot,hot.... its great for getting out and bike riding. I live in the country so I have country roads to ride my bike on. The one route I do is paved and stoned and tared so it is easy riding. I ride on the opposite side of the road and when a car comes I move to the other side. Sometimes I have to juggle a couple of cars but its easy riding. LOL I can't imagine riding in the city on the busy roads. It would be too dangerous.

Everyone is doing great with this exercising, it really gets you toned up. So far this week I have done 25 miles. I will go on Sunday but will put that one in on next weeks.

Have a good one

;) Suzanne

SEMO
08-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Hi Girls, hope everyone is having a good weekend. I'm reporting a total of 21 miles this week plus some additional floor exercise. This puts me over the half way mark for my first two weeks. WooHoo!

Thanks everyone, I would have still been setting on the sofa had it not been for this challenge! :)

Gotta run and get stuff packed for tomorrows trip. Bye for now.

Karena
08-04-2002, 10:39 PM
Hi all-hope everyone's week went well. Is it hot everywhere? I'm in central PA and its about unbearable. I'm almost thankful to go to work every day, since we have central air there. Thank God for a/c in the bedroom and the community swimming pool!

Total for this week is 24 miles.

happy2bme
08-05-2002, 12:26 AM
Hi Ladies,

Put me down for 10 miles for the week. It's been just downright nasty hot here (in Chicago) - if I had been walking outdoors, might have got a mile in for the entire week - you're zapped of all energy before you get to the end of the driveway! I think most of the country except for Seattle and San Diego are burning up Karena. Nice going on your mileage this week Semo and Suzanne. Suzanne, hope you have some nice shaded roads to ride on since you said it's hot up your way too. Jacksonmom loved the flossing machine thing! A couple of hours in the dentist chair sure will convince you to do everything he tells you! I'm feeling better but the stamina was a bit lower this week than usual. Going to have to pump it up the rest of the week as I am leaving on vacation Saturday for a few days.

Hope everyone has a great week - is supposed to cool off a bit they tell us, but the weatherman lies sometimes...

jacksonmom
08-05-2002, 01:52 PM
This weeks total. Everyone is doing awesome!

Jacksonmom...goal 50...25

Semo...goal 50...26

Karena...goal 80...54

Happy2bme...goal 25...20

madtypist...goal 100...59

Kina...goal 40...20

Everyone keep it up. TTYL

Kina
08-05-2002, 03:03 PM
Hello to everyone. I am just making a quick peek onto the thread. The kids will be home and I will be off to work soon. I haven't quite finished all the chores. But I wanted to report 10 for the week. Talk again another time.

kina

Karena
08-07-2002, 12:31 PM
Hey, the thread was working its way down so I thought I'd pull us back up!

Great to see everyone out there walking! Just about everyone's over 1/2 way there and happy2bme you'll definitely blow away your goal! Good to here from you Kina - glad to see you're getting some walking in - even with your busy schedule.

It was a lovely 45-50 degrees in PA this morning during my 7am walk. It was wonderful!!!

Getting lots of walking and other exercise in this week as my daughter is at bible school every evening and has stayed at her grandma's the last two nights and maybe tonight. I miss her, but I'm getting alot done - exercise and cleaning and getting ready to go on vacation next week.

TTYL

happy2bme
08-07-2002, 11:01 PM
well folks looks like I'm going to chalk in a measly 5 miles for this week. I'm going on vacation Saturday and the next 2 nights will be spent in a furious rush of trying to get everything done and ready to leave the house at 4:30am on Saturday morning. This gets me to my challenge goal but since I'm coming back next Wednesday and have 5 more days left to the challenge, I'm intending to beat my original goal. Especially since I pushed the first 2 weeks to do more than I had to. And... I know I will be no little angel :cbg: in the eating department the next few days tho I do intend to do some walking and exercising while I'm away and will have massive guilt to motivate me upon my return.

Congrats Kina on hitting your weight goal this week!

Everyone is doing great, I'm sure the cooler weather will help us all get a little more oommph into our program. Check back with you next week.

Karena
08-07-2002, 11:11 PM
I am so bummed :(

I splurged on myself and paid $70 for a pair of walking shoes at a specialty store an hour away. The outside of my right foot is killing me! I've walked in them for 4 days now thinking I just need to get used to them - but it ain't happenin! The store guarantees their shoes and I can exchange them. But that means a two hour drive round trip!

I am so frustrated. I was really looking forward to a new bounce in my step from good shoes. Guess its back to the old $15 pair until I have time to spare.

What does everyone else wear for walking? specialty walking shoes or Kmart specials!

P.S. Happy2bme - enjoy yourself!!

jacksonmom
08-08-2002, 03:34 PM
Hi! Sorry I haven't checked in in awhile. Been a weird week. Kina I updated your total. Congrats on hitting the 200 mark!!! I think everyone is going to succeed at the challenge.
Happy2bme have fun

Karena hope you get the new shoes soon. Nothing worse than your feet hurting when your walking. TTYL

SEMO
08-08-2002, 04:56 PM
Hi All, I'm back home (work at the moment) and DOG tried. While Hubby was in his meetings I met with his only sister and we shopped as hard as we could go for two days. Lordy, my feet and shins still hurt today. Anyway the motel had a exercise room and I did get in a couple of miles one of the two mornings that we were there. We got home around 11pm last night so I'll have to make some tracks over the weekend to stay on schedule. So then I get to work this morning and have had computer problems all day. (still waiting on the help desk to fix it.....ugh...I'ld been better off just to have stayed home today)

Karena: Don't know about the shoes, no matter what brand I wear they do not feel good. Guess my feet just aren't made to wear tennis shoes.

We are having wonderful weather here, a cool front came in on Tuesday and it is just great. At 3:45 pm it's 88 degrees today. What a switch from the very hot and humid weather we have been having. Hope you guys get some of this great stuff too.

Happy2bme: Hope you enjoy yourself while your gone. I always seem to over do the food when I'm away from home.

Better run..........:wave:

Karena
08-08-2002, 11:00 PM
Jacksonmom, good to hear from you. Hope your week gets less weird. :)

Semo, I'm the same way on vacation (eat too much) and hoping NOT TO BE next week. We went to a bed and breakfast two weekends ago. Even though we had packed some healthy treats, at midnight we were in the comp basket of Hershey mini bars. When all was said and done, I had eaten OVER 20 mini krackels, peanutbutter cups, and hershey bars. I was soooo mad at myself.

I will not pig out like that next week

Semo, we got the great cooler weather here in PA too this week. Hope it lasts awhile. sure makes walking alot more pleasant!

Anyway Semo, I'm sure you burned mega calories with all that shopping - racing for bargains and lugging heavy packages around the shops. :)

happy2bme
08-08-2002, 11:26 PM
Hi everyone,
Well I'm in good shape with the packing and planning so I figured I could spend a few minutes here - this board is addictive!

Karena, I wear Keds sneakers around the house but have found in the last year (probably like Semo) that you get to a point in life where your feet just hurt no matter what - it's actually been a big motivator for me to lose weight this time around, hoping it would help the situation. I've spent so much money over the last 2 years on shoes that felt good in the store and then after wearing them for a few hours just give me bad foot pain. Sometimes I'm hobbling around like I've sprained my foot. After much trial and error I did find a particular style of Reebok that worked just great for me. After 2 years they discontinued it :mad: so I'm wearing the death out of those shoes which isn't really good for the feet either. Everyone's told me that for walking you need a good WALKING shoe. Sneakers are made differently for running, walking, aerobics and basketball because the foot moves in different ways - wear the wrong shoes for the wrong activity and you'll get problems. I find that Rockport makes ugly shoes but they are very comfortable for long term walking. And I actually bought nurses shoes a couple of times because those are made for people who stand on their feet and run around alot. Trouble is, they only come in white so you're sort of limited to wearing them in the summer. ;)

Semo a major shopping outing is it's own type of marathon. That kind of feeling where you don't feel so bad until you sit down, then you can't get up again!

Jacksonmom hope your weekend is better than your wierd week. Suzanne must be pedalling madly along her country roads. I am still in awe of a pledge of 100 miles.

Have a great weekend - talk to you on Wednesday.

Kina
08-09-2002, 01:56 AM
Hi everyone. Shoes are on everyones mind lately...huh? Well I don't know if you have a Wal Mart in your area...but I bought some really nice ones for my 11 year old, 5.5 ft. daughter. She has flat feet and her feet tend to angle in. So anyways these shoes were really nice only 14.97 and they have this strange look to the bottom sole. Like it has one sole then another on top of that one. But anyway I tried them on because she and I wear the same size (hers are a 1/2 size bigger) anyway I walked around in them and MY GOODNESS they felt great! I haven't gotten myself a pair but I want some because I stand at work throughout the shift in one spot. I just hope I didn't wait too long to get myself some.

Well Karena I hope you get some good ones the next time you get out there.

SEMO~~~~hope your computer problems get fixed. :( The cotton testing job is going strong. I tested 731 cotton samples this evening. The most I have ever done since being there. But only 627 counted at the end. Because the others were retests.:mad: O well. But it was a great evening at work. I will start my college school job on the 19th during the day. Can anyone say sleep DEPRIVED? Well you got to do what you got to do! Trying to get ahead on that Christmas jazz.

Jacksonmom~~~Thanks I was really excited when I saw 200 because it was then that I knew it would be all downhill from there. Currently I am at 198.5. I think all that I do at work has pushed the scale in the right direction. Whatever it is I hope it continues. Woo hoo!

Happy2bme~~~~Thank you! I hope you have a great time. And hey 5 miles is great. Think of it this way...it's better than nothing. In the long run those 5 miles will have helped you get that much closer to your goal. Great going never give up and never short change yourself in anything you do!

Talk to you all later. I am going to go get some shut eye.
corina

jacksonmom
08-10-2002, 08:49 AM
Glad to see this board get some action. I know its hard with everyone's crazy overscheduled life lol! I'm sorry to say that I will not be able to do any walking for awhile. Yesterday afternoon my 80 lb. lab decided to use my second toe (next to the pinky) as a launching pad to chase the squirrel and she sprained it. Within an hour it was really bruised and it hurts to bend it. I'm a sight to see wobblinga around the house lol! Anyway I'm going to do some weight lifting a couple of days this week. Nothing big just some arms with dumbells at home. Hope everyone has a good weekend. I'll post everyone's total either Sun. or Mon.

madtypist
08-10-2002, 09:59 PM
Hi to all!!!!

All you ladies sound like you are very busy and getting in your exercise at the same time. It is hard sometimes to force yourself to go out and exercise but it is worth it even a little bit is good.

I go on eating binges, this week I had soft ice cream cones and choc, chip cookies from Tim Hortons but I don't get to mad at myself. I figure 95% of the time I eat ok and have been for 3 years now so it is part of my lifestyle so when I do go off the wagon for a bit I get right back on the next day or so.

I also have feet problems and I have been wearing Dr. Scholls running shoes for the past few years and I find them very good. I buy them from Wallmart. (where else) LOL
gotta love that....I hope your toe is ok Jacksonmom, that is a drag. I'm sure you will be up and going in no time.

I have been out riding this week the weather has been great, not too hot. My milage for this week is 23 miles/

Have a great week

;) Suzanne

Karena
08-11-2002, 12:08 AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback on shoes. You're right Happy2me - about Rockport. I did have apair of them a couple years ago -but they are sooo ugly!! I'd like to have a nice "stylish" pair, so I guess its back to State College to try on more shoes, probably not before vacation though.

Kina, we do have a Walmart and I used to looove going there, but now they made it a Super Walmart with groceries and all. I used to think that would be great, but it always a madhouse there and I hate to go anywhere near the place anymore. But I may check them for the shoes you mentioned. They'd be a great back up pair.

Let me also join my congrats to you, Kina, on getting to 200! I hope I can join you there before too much longer.

Jacksonmom-tough luck on your toe. I know how painful that can be and it can take quite awhile to get better. About once a year (not yet - knock on wood!) I kick my pinky toe on something and get laid up til it heals. My Jack Russell launches himself off me all the time, but luckily he only weighs 12 pounds!

Madtypist- you seem to have a sane and balanced view toward food. I have a reunion on Sunday. I hope I can treat myself (just a little) without too much guilt.

I'll post mileage tomorrow night - hoping to get in a good walk tomorrow - last two days have been not great.

SEMO
08-12-2002, 10:13 AM
Good Morning Ladies.. I'm checking in with my wee little three miles total for the week. I know..I know..BUT I will meet my challenge by the end of the week, even if I have to tie myself to that darn machine. :D Hubby and I both had some type of stomach bug this weekend so I didn't leave the house at all, guess I could count the distance from the sofa to the bathroom as milage. LOL Anyway we both seem to be over it this morning but I'm still being careful as what I eat. (don't want that stuff again)

You guys have a great Monday!

jacksonmom
08-12-2002, 04:34 PM
Weekly totlas! Keep up the good work everyone!

jacksonmom...goal 50...40

Semo...goal 50...29

Karea...goal 80...80.5 MADE GOAL!! Set new goal at 95!!

Happy2bme...goal 25...25 MADE GOAL!!

madtypist...goal 100...82

Kina...goal 40...24

Karena
08-13-2002, 12:52 AM
Hi all, finally posting my mileage for this past week - 26.5 - I finished the week off with a bang - 7.5 miles on Sunday! (before and after pigging out at my family picnic)

Semo-bummer on the bug! My DD had it too. Everytime she ate somthing, her tummy hurt.

Karena
08-13-2002, 12:55 AM
I just realized I met my goal of 80 miles. Yippee! Since there's a week to go and I'm going on a vacation which will hopefully contain alot of hiking, I'd like to up my goal to 95 miles.

I did get to exchange my shoes for new ones and tested them tonight. They felt good, so I'll be wearing them on vacation.

Be back Monday 8/19. Good luck all.

TTYL

SEMO
08-14-2002, 10:12 AM
Sure has been quite around here lately, what's us with that?

I'm making lots of tracks this week and only have nine miles to meet my goal. My legs are feeling like jello this morning too. :) That's what I get for waiting to the last minute I guess. Anyway hope everyone is having a good day. It's been raining off and on today and all day yesterday, I don't mind tho because we have gotten some relief from the heat and the crops needed the moisture. Chat later.

Kina
08-14-2002, 02:17 PM
Well I didn't get much exercise in last week. I think I counted up like a measley 4. I haven't had much time to exercise. Starting next week it will be even less possible to get any exercise during the week or weekend. My evening job has us working 7 days a week starting this week. My day job I start on Monday. So I will wake up send the kids to school, get dressed for the AM job, leave at about 2:30pm, get home to greet the kids, get my dinner ready for the evening job, change into work clothes, then by 3:30 head off to the evening job. So there won't be much time for anything else.

Luckily my evening job will be over once the cotton is all tested. I will probably be working until October maybe November. Then in September I get a curve ball thrown in there with my college courses. I am going to do it. I am going to make it work.

Jacksonmom~~~~this challenge is a great idea. As you know on the first one, it was a great tool for me to get my exercise in daily. It helped me so much to get that scale going in the right direction. But now that I am working my two jobs and getting ready to go to school there is just no way I will be able to join in the next one. But I will be sure to pop in and say hello and heck if I do get any exercise in I will let you know. Although with this night job boy my arms aren't as jiggly as they used to be, my rear is getting firmer (even DH has noticed that one-LOL), and my legs are feeling the burn every night. So somewhere in there I am getting a good source of exercise just not the traditional exercise we are used to. But thank you for the thread. I will keep in touch and keep posting from time to time. Once my life gets back to some normalcy I will join in one of you challenges again.

Talk later. I have chores to do before I go into to work. Bye. Many happy thoughts go out to all of you.
Corina:wave:

madtypist
08-14-2002, 08:42 PM
Hope you all are having a great week so far.

Sorry Kina you will not be posting much anymore, you sure are one busy gal. You have a full plate with your 2 jobs and going back to school.. wow. you are a better women then I am...;) that is one hectic schedule you will be juggling. Good luck with your exercising and be sure to drop in when you get a minute.

Well ladies I blew a bike tire the other day and had to walk about 2 - 3 miles back, man walking is a lot harder than riding a bike. I have gone out on another bike but it takes getting used to. I rode my d.'s bike tonight it is a mountain bike and I am not fussy on them... I seem to be bent over to much.... (could be age) LOL..:dizzy:

Have a good day..... Good luck Kina...:)

jacksonmom
08-14-2002, 09:49 PM
Sorry Kina about the BUSY schedule. I don't know how you keep it all straight! We will be thinking about you.

madtypist- sorry about the tire! That's funny that you think walking is harder I think biking is way harder. Last time I rode my bike (2 or3 yrs. ago) I couldn't make it up the little hill that I live on.
I had to actually get off and walk it. Talk about embarassing. At that time I didn't have many neighbors now I have tons so I haven't tried to ride since. Maybe when I loose alot of weight and my legs and heart get stronger I'll give it another try. TTYL

happy2bme
08-14-2002, 11:19 PM
Hi Everyone,
Well, back to reality again :( - coming back from vacation is always a downer for me. Maybe it's because while on vacation all you think about is doing things that are fun and being at home is doing things that are work! We did some walking but nothing that I would consider enough to be exercise except for one night when we actually walked around the area for the purposes of taking a walk. Hope to get at least 5 more miles in before the week's end. Getting back in the groove is a challenge in itself.

I hope that we can do another challenge because this really did help me to do more than I would have on my own.

Sorry to hear about your toe Jacksonmom - ouch, ouch, ouch! And there's not much you can do about it but give it time to heal. Hope you're feeling better...

Madtypist, I'd have to agree that biking seems harder than walking. Guess it depends on what you do, apparently there's different leg muscles involved and when I get on the bike, I realize it's the ones I don't use that are so weak which is why I'm in awe of the distances you cover on yours. You're an inspiration for me to dust off the old bike again, except my gears shift funny and I've never liked the bike I had.

Kina, good luck to you. Are you going to get any sleep in with that schedule of yours? Two jobs, kids AND school! Wow, one job, one husband and school is almost enough to wipe me out. Where do you get your energy????

Karena, congrats on making and exceeding your challenge goal. Hope you had a great vacation.

Semo, yeah, it has gotten quiet around here but looking through the threads it seems to peak and ebb just like at the gym. School will be starting for me in a week and a half and I won't be as active as I was over the summer here too - maybe will become part time lurker and not a daily poster.

Hope everyone's doing fine. I have a little more catching up to do and then it's time to hit the bricks. Will check back at the weekend. Keep on trudging, running, biking or limping ;)

SEMO
08-16-2002, 10:02 AM
Chalk up a total (so far) of 25 miles for me this week!! Finished off my challenge this morning with a mile to spare. I wanted to post now because we may not be able to get in over the weekend due to the web site maintenance.

Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU for this challenge Jacksonmom. You have done a great job and this has really helped me be less of a couch potato. Also thankful for all you great gals, it's been fun chatting and I'm ready for the next challenge.:D Hope everyone has a great weekend. Bye for now.

madtypist
08-16-2002, 10:00 PM
Congratulations to all that made the goal.

Check this out I just totalled my milage to today this week and I am at 16 so far for the week which means my total is 98 miles...... too funny :dizzy: so I will check back in on Monday when we are back on I will be sure to get in that 2 miles by Sunday..... LOL :D

Have a great weekend ladies.....:)

Suzanne.

happy2bme
08-16-2002, 10:30 PM
Since we're all squeezing in last minute posts here before the servers go down... kind of like people rushing to the grocery store before a big storm - except we don't EAT on this forum, do we - we just run instead :lol:

Congrats too on you fabulous goal setters... I too will post on Monday - hoping to squeeze a few miles in over the weekend myself.

I add my thanks too Jacksonmom for putting this together. Hope we can continue... Have a great weekend !

SEMO
08-19-2002, 09:19 AM
Good Morning Ladies, I see that the site is up and running this morning just as promised. I do have an additional five miles to add to my ending total. Final milage of 56! WooHoo

Congrats to all you gals.........See ya on the next thread.

jacksonmom
08-19-2002, 09:48 AM
Final Totals!!!! If you didn't update yet I will check back but please post new goals on the new thread. Thanks!

Jacksonmom...goal 50...40

Semo...goal 50...56 MADE GOAL!!!!!!!!!

Karena...goal 80...80.5 MADE GOAL!!!!!!!!!

Happy2bme...goal 25...25 MADE GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!

madtypist...goal 100...110 MADE GOAL!!!!

Kina...goal 40...32

Way to go everyone on the huge success. Please check out the new thread.

Kina
08-19-2002, 03:37 PM
Just popping in to report 8 for last week. I worked all weekend so I didn't get a chance to report in before the forum closed. Talk later. Started my day job today and I am happy to say I got through it okay. We'll see how the evening job goes. bye.

Kina

madtypist
08-19-2002, 08:12 PM
Hi: Everyone has been doing really well with their goals. :D

I ended the past week off with a total of 12 miles, glad to get over the hump of 98 :D

Looking forward to the next round. Have a great week.

Suzanne

DreamSmall
08-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Hello everyone! I am so bummed that I missed this challenge, I haven't been online much lately. I hope that there is another one real soon.

Hugs, Debbie

happy2bme
08-20-2002, 02:44 PM
Debbie -
We just started another one, the thread is called 3rd 4 week challenge - it just started Sunday - not to late to join in. Get over there woman! We want a big group!