Metabolic Research Center - ketosis questions

View Full Version : ketosis questions

porchmom84
10-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Does anyone know, in general, how long it takes to get your body to the ketosis stage and how you know you're there? I did 7 days of preconditioning and now am on day 2 of the yellow menu--just curious when things "kick in". Also, did any of you get ketosis sticks to check urine--saw them mentioned on another website.

reuselady
10-03-2009, 06:04 PM
Our center has KetoStiks in the bathroom and has us use them before we weigh in each time. Although I only registered a light pink once (indicating positive ketosis) I am pretty sure I was in ketosis from day 3 or 4 onward. You may notice a slight metallic taste and feel dry mouth when you are in ketosis. I am not sure if everyone experiences this. You do not want to be too far into ketosis or you start burning lean muscle and that is not good. I think some people even go into ketosis on pre-conditioning - I guess it depends on how successfully they cut out sweets and carbs.

The real sure way of knowing is when you see the pounds going down and the Tanita measurements telling you it is fat that is going away and you are retaining your lean muscle mass and staying hydrated. Keep drinking that water! ;) jeanette

Keiko
10-04-2009, 01:45 AM
I bought ketosis sticks at Walgreens...you may have to ask for them in the pharmacy area. I've heard it may take several days for the body to register ketosis.

GWE140
10-04-2009, 08:32 AM
During a Ketosis class we had at our center they stated that it takes approximately 72 hours on plan to get into ketosis, and if you have enough of an off plan food that kicks you out of ketosis, it will take another 72 hours on plan to get back in ketosis...

porchmom84
10-04-2009, 08:28 PM
During a Ketosis class we had at our center they stated that it takes approximately 72 hours on plan to get into ketosis, and if you have enough of an off plan food that kicks you out of ketosis, it will take another 72 hours on plan to get back in ketosis...
That is good information. I am on day 3 of yellow diet and was feeling fatter than ever today even though I've followed to the letter and even did a zumba class today....That explains it though--probably JUST starting the ketosis. Also good information to know to help guide me away from cheating....another 72 hours back on plan to get back in ketosis...that's a lot of work!

Fifties Lady
10-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Our center has KetoStiks in the bathroom and has us use them before we weigh in each time. Although I only registered a light pink once (indicating positive ketosis) I am pretty sure I was in ketosis from day 3 or 4 onward. You may notice a slight metallic taste and feel dry mouth when you are in ketosis. I am not sure if everyone experiences this. You do not want to be too far into ketosis or you start burning lean muscle and that is not good. I think some people even go into ketosis on pre-conditioning - I guess it depends on how successfully they cut out sweets and carbs.

The real sure way of knowing is when you see the pounds going down and the Tanita measurements telling you it is fat that is going away and you are retaining your lean muscle mass and staying hydrated. Keep drinking that water! ;) jeanette

Nothing has been said about Ketosis at my center. I am curious about how often you all get the Tanita measurements? I was there for a month and half and had to ask to even be measured, so not sure what is the protocol for all this happening. We have mostly all young girls working at our center, and at times I just wonder if maybe they haven't trained long enough to know the procedures? Don't get me wrong, they have all been nice, but some I think are working their way thru college there. When it comes to something as serious as this program is, you want to be counseled by experience counselors. Besides, you are paying for it, so you should get the best, right?

reuselady
10-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Nothing has been said about Ketosis at my center. I am curious about how often you all get the Tanita measurements? I was there for a month and half and had to ask to even be measured, so not sure what is the protocol for all this happening. We have mostly all young girls working at our center, and at times I just wonder if maybe they haven't trained long enough to know the procedures? Don't get me wrong, they have all been nice, but some I think are working their way thru college there. When it comes to something as serious as this program is, you want to be counseled by experience counselors. Besides, you are paying for it, so you should get the best, right?
Fifties Lady, they did Tanita initially, at 2 weeks, at one month, two months and now at three months. They took measurements at the same time. We are a new center (Opened 11 May 2009) so all our counselors are new but we are getting a lot of clients so they are getting experienced real quickly. One is a recent University graduate in Nutrition, the others are going through or have gone through the program themselves.
jeanette

Fifties Lady
10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Fifties Lady, they did Tanita initially, at 2 weeks, at one month, two months and now at three months. They took measurements at the same time. We are a new center (Opened 11 May 2009) so all our counselors are new but we are getting a lot of clients so they are getting experienced real quickly. One is a recent University graduate in Nutrition, the others are going through or have gone through the program themselves.
jeanette

Well this is so very interesting! Can anyone chime in about their centers in what routine they follow? I think it was pretty lame that I even had to ask to be measured. The first time I asked, I was told the manager decides when you should be measured???? I'm thinking with all the charts, does she really have time to go through each one and flag the ones who are due for measurements? My thoughts, the counselor just didn't want to take the time with me to do it? :( Maybe taking measurements is a hassel? I don't know, but when I read how everyone seems to be getting measured and the Tanita readings, then I am missing a part of the program. When I finally did get measured, after requesting it, I asked about the Tanita reading and was told not till at least after 2 months, because nothing changes the first month???? Am I just being nit-picky??? :?:

mkroyer
10-05-2009, 08:01 AM
fifties-- i ALWAYS get the tanita done, every single time. But i ask specifically for it, and made it known from the beginning that i was interested more in watching my BODY FAT percentage, and not my "weight". They had no problem doing it, and ow everytime i go in , all the ladies there know to measure my Body fat. It only takes an extra 10 seconds!!

GWE140
10-05-2009, 10:01 AM
When ever I am due for Tanita or measuring there is always a sticking note left inside my folder...someone is doing their job!

Darn Baby Weight
10-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Well this is so very interesting! Can anyone chime in about their centers in what routine they follow? I think it was pretty lame that I even had to ask to be measured. The first time I asked, I was told the manager decides when you should be measured???? I'm thinking with all the charts, does she really have time to go through each one and flag the ones who are due for measurements? My thoughts, the counselor just didn't want to take the time with me to do it? :( Maybe taking measurements is a hassel? I don't know, but when I read how everyone seems to be getting measured and the Tanita readings, then I am missing a part of the program. When I finally did get measured, after requesting it, I asked about the Tanita reading and was told not till at least after 2 months, because nothing changes the first month???? Am I just being nit-picky??? :?:

FL, I am experiencing the same thing! I had to be asked to be measured and I figured they would do the TANITA scale the same day since when I signed up they said I would be measured and weighed using the TANITA after being OP for a month. I agree that the counselors seem young and honestly I havenít had a great experience with any of them, I feel like they are looking down upon me. Maybe itís because they are more my age?!?!? I have been debating about asking to set up an appointment to meet with Robin; I need some extra motivation and help and would like to talk to her about how I am feeling with the center. I start the connection classes next week and am SUPER excited! I really need to get back on plan and hope this class gets me there.

TeresaG
10-05-2009, 05:31 PM

FL-you are not by any stretch being nit-picky. Mine was done after two weeks, done at four weeks, then done monthly at least. Both the tanita and measurements. I think the comment that nothing changes is as lame as it can be. I don't remember what the exact changes were in mine, but it was enough to make me take a double take. Just tell them that you want it done. The counselors at my center always write it on my chart when to do it so if I see a different one, they know to do it.

shopgirl
10-05-2009, 07:09 PM

Hey, Fifties Lady--
I was told that you get it done when you sign up, then at 2 weeks then 4 weeks and monthly after that (the measurements follow the same as the Tanita readings).
Sorry it's been so crazy! Somebody definitely dropped the ball at your center...you're not imagining it. Since you went 6 wks w/out getting measured, I bet you saw some crazy inch loss, though! :) Sounds like you need to call the shots more b/c they aren't going to be on top of things (I mean gentle reminders, etc). Good luck!

Fifties Lady
10-05-2009, 08:10 PM
When ever I am due for Tanita or measuring there is always a sticking note left inside my folder...someone is doing their job!

FL, I am experiencing the same thing! I had to be asked to be measured and I figured they would do the TANITA scale the same day since when I signed up they said I would be measured and weighed using the TANITA after being OP for a month. I agree that the counselors seem young and honestly I havenít had a great experience with any of them, I feel like they are looking down upon me. Maybe itís because they are more my age?!?!? I have been debating about asking to set up an appointment to meet with Robin; I need some extra motivation and help and would like to talk to her about how I am feeling with the center. I start the connection classes next week and am SUPER excited! I really need to get back on plan and hope this class gets me there.

FL-you are not by any stretch being nit-picky. Mine was done after two weeks, done at four weeks, then done monthly at least. Both the tanita and measurements. I think the comment that nothing changes is as lame as it can be. I don't remember what the exact changes were in mine, but it was enough to make me take a double take. Just tell them that you want it done. The counselors at my center always write it on my chart when to do it so if I see a different one, they know to do it.

Hey, Fifties Lady--
I was told that you get it done when you sign up, then at 2 weeks then 4 weeks and monthly after that (the measurements follow the same as the Tanita readings).
Sorry it's been so crazy! Somebody definitely dropped the ball at your center...you're not imagining it. Since you went 6 wks w/out getting measured, I bet you saw some crazy inch loss, though! :) Sounds like you need to call the shots more b/c they aren't going to be on top of things (I mean gentle reminders, etc). Good luck!

I want to thank you all for responding....I must say, I'm just a little teed off right now. I feel like I have been let down by my center for telling me different things when I ask. The only thing is, if I complain, then I'm sure it goes into my chart and then I probably won't have too many friendly counselors to visit with. I guess instead of asking next time to be measured or for the Tanita read out, I will just request it. Still, I'm not happy with them for dropping the ball. When I think how they called me weekly when I didn't join the first time I went in to get me to join, and now I get this!!!!:?:

wannabthinagain
10-05-2009, 08:23 PM

What center do you go to in Nebraska? I go to the one in Omaha and they have done measurements 2x Tanita 3x and it's only week 5 for me. Hope they figure this out and take care of you!

Fifties Lady
10-05-2009, 08:30 PM
What center do you go to in Nebraska? I go to the one in Omaha and they have done measurements 2x Tanita 3x and it's only week 5 for me. Hope they figure this out and take care of you!

I'm from the Lincoln center, and so very disappointed now. You can bet they will be doing a Tanita reading at next WI. This excuse saying their manager has to go thru your file before you can be measured was just pure laziness on the counselor's part. She didn't want to spend the time doing it. If I hadn't asked to be measured, I wonder how long I would have went without that getting done?:?:

RuthAnne
10-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Everyone at my center does it different. SOme act like they could care less. When I was measured, she was so intent on looking out the window that the measurements were in no way accurate. I need to learn to speak up.

lookinfine09
10-06-2009, 12:28 PM

FL - I go to the same office as you and I have had to ask each time to have a Tanita done and measurements done. One time I asked and got the brush off and others were more than happy to oblige. One did comment and say that the front desk is supposed to highlight when we are supposed to have that done, I would like to think that as they look through my chart with me each time they could see that it needed to be done without the extra prodding.

I have had a Tanita done 5 times since starting in May, which is essentially once a month. Not sure who you went to that told you no Tanita this month, but I'd ask again each time. If nothing else, ask for Robin and voice your concern. I'm headed to weigh in now! Fingers crossed.

leahruthie
10-06-2009, 02:25 PM
i, too, go to the lincoln center, and i've only ever had my measurements taken once (and it was the week after i happened to get weighed in by robin one saturday and she made a note in my chart to measure me the next week), and NEVER have i had the tanita readings re-done. that's kind of frustrating!!

lookinfine09
10-06-2009, 02:39 PM
i, too, go to the lincoln center, and i've only ever had my measurements taken once (and it was the week after i happened to get weighed in by robin one saturday and she made a note in my chart to measure me the next week), and NEVER have i had the tanita readings re-done. that's kind of frustrating!!

It has to be very frustrating. Sometimes getting the Tanita is the motivation that I need to keep on track. I feel like they should almost do that every couple of weeks!

Joy2MeNu
10-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Yes, my center here in Lafayette IN did meansurements and weight for me initially (the day I joined), ketosis taken every time I visit (twice a week), and all meaurements done initially and monthly. Good Luck. Hope you can get them straightened out cause to the clients (us), this really is so important and if you are not able to guage your progress, how do you know if you can take delight in any success you have so rightfully earned. That is what keeps me motivated!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar072/slider-situp/lb/243/130/219/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

Fifties Lady
10-06-2009, 07:20 PM
FL - I go to the same office as you and I have had to ask each time to have a Tanita done and measurements done. One time I asked and got the brush off and others were more than happy to oblige. One did comment and say that the front desk is supposed to highlight when we are supposed to have that done, I would like to think that as they look through my chart with me each time they could see that it needed to be done without the extra prodding.

I have had a Tanita done 5 times since starting in May, which is essentially once a month. Not sure who you went to that told you no Tanita this month, but I'd ask again each time. If nothing else, ask for Robin and voice your concern. I'm headed to weigh in now! Fingers crossed.

Well this isn't right!!! They should look at the date and see that it is time for measurements and Tanita reading. I don't like being told it wouldn't do any good the first month and I don't like being told Robin decides...that is false info. I guess I won't ask, but I will insist that I get measured and Tanita readings on a monthly basis. Have you ever been offered the Ketosis sticks? Nothing was ever even discussed with me about it. I think the young girls would rather be doing something else than at times. Jeannie is the one who called and pressured me into joining, and I haven't seen her since. Not even sure if she works there anymore. Well, I can guarantee you that I will get results at the next WI. I really hate to complain to Robin, but I want our center to be here for us!!! ;)

leahruthie
10-07-2009, 01:24 PM
FL, you can be our lincoln center crusader!! :D

lookinfine09
10-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Well this isn't right!!! They should look at the date and see that it is time for measurements and Tanita reading. I don't like being told it wouldn't do any good the first month and I don't like being told Robin decides...that is false info. I guess I won't ask, but I will insist that I get measured and Tanita readings on a monthly basis. Have you ever been offered the Ketosis sticks? Nothing was ever even discussed with me about it. I think the young girls would rather be doing something else than at times. Jeannie is the one who called and pressured me into joining, and I haven't seen her since. Not even sure if she works there anymore. Well, I can guarantee you that I will get results at the next WI. I really hate to complain to Robin, but I want our center to be here for us!!! ;)

I saw on another post that you meeting with Jeannie went well yesterday. For the record, I've never been offered the ketosis sticks.:o

Fifties Lady
10-08-2009, 07:55 PM
I saw on another post that you meeting with Jeannie went well yesterday. For the record, I've never been offered the ketosis sticks.:o

Hello LookinFine, Yes I had a great meeting with Jeannie....I really like her. We went through my food chart to try to figure out why I'm at a stand still. She was really concerned. And very unhappy that I was told about the measurements and the Tanita. I couldn't remember who the ones who told me that, but I hope Jeannie follows through with Robin about it. She told me to let her know if I am ever given mis-information again. I really felt alot better about it now. You can bet it won't happen to me again...:D

Phat not Fat
10-11-2009, 01:25 PM
FL, you can be our lincoln center crusader!! :D

FL, thanks for doing the sleuthing on this. I've had to ask to be measured both times since I started (one of those times was with the manager!) and haven't had a follow-up TANITA reading done at all. I don't remember anything mentioned about ketosis when I started and it's certainly never been brought up by any of the counselors I've seen on my bi-weekly visits.

I still feel completely new at this, even though I've seen my 80th day with MRC. Each time I go in, I'm asked the same thing: "Do you have any questions?" Well, **** yeah, I do! I'm full of them! I just don't know where to start! I should be asking THEM if they have any questions for ME! Last week, when I was asked that, I let the girl know that I'm concerned that my 17 weeks will end and I won't be at goal yet. Her response: "That's the LAST thing we want you to stress about!" Thanks for that support and concern! :?:

Okay, I've raged enough. All in all, my life is good. Especially right now, as I type this, my little furry rescue dude is asleep in my lap! I just had to vent a bit. :^:

-- JJ

Fifties Lady
10-11-2009, 05:05 PM
FL, thanks for doing the sleuthing on this. I've had to ask to be measured both times since I started (one of those times was with the manager!) and haven't had a follow-up TANITA reading done at all. I don't remember anything mentioned about ketosis when I started and it's certainly never been brought up by any of the counselors I've seen on my bi-weekly visits.

I still feel completely new at this, even though I've seen my 80th day with MRC. Each time I go in, I'm asked the same thing: "Do you have any questions?" Well, **** yeah, I do! I'm full of them! I just don't know where to start! I should be asking THEM if they have any questions for ME! Last week, when I was asked that, I let the girl know that I'm concerned that my 17 weeks will end and I won't be at goal yet. Her response: "That's the LAST thing we want you to stress about!" Thanks for that support and concern! :?:

Okay, I've raged enough. All in all, my life is good. Especially right now, as I type this, my little furry rescue dude is asleep in my lap! I just had to vent a bit. :^:

-- JJ

JJ, How funny, I just posted to you on another thread...telling you how cold I am...can I borrow your furry rescue dude to warm me up? I have to furry little dudes but they just want to be outdoors right now....silly dogs! :dizzy:

I think we have an issue of too many young girls either still in training, or not paying attention at our center. Jeannie really was upset when I told her about the comments that were made to me. She said you should be measured every month and have the Tanita reading also. She said when you are getting close, the counselor should be highlighting your chart noting that the next visit it should be done. Someone is dropping the ball here. Jeannie has been there awhile, and I think she has the experience and knows more about MRC than the young ones. I am not one to complain, but I just feel we are not being taken care of, and how do you see progress when they don't do the measurements and readings? I was getting upset because I wasn't losing, so I finally asked to be measured, and that helped my attitude just knowing that I was losing inches. So very frustrating. I guess since it is a college town, they have hired these young girls and I just don't feel they really are taking this serious enough. I had said before, that as young and very thin they are, they don't have the understanding how difficult it is to lose weight. That's why I like Jeannie, because she has been there and has lost. And she was so concerned over my discussion we had. I really felt validated and I think I am going to find out her schedule and just WI requesting her.

You have a nice rest of the day now, my furball just jumped on my lap now, so we are keeping each other warm too. :hug:

ekidwell
10-12-2009, 02:10 PM
I'm back in ketosis after having moderate luck losing weight without it. I'm doing my best to stay in it now that I have challenged myself not to do any cheats for the rest of October (and longer, preferably, but I'm being realistic here!)
I'm trying to lose 32 more lbs before Dec. 31st so I can start 2010 at 199 lbs (which will be the thinnest I've been in 10 years at that point.) I'm so dedicated to that goal and being in ketosis is a very important part of pulling that 3-5 lbs of weight loss/week they promise you.
As far as Tanita goes, I get it done once/month. They keep track of when it's due for me and they have even bumped it back for me when I felt like I hadn't had enough water for the day, which would have given a wonky/inaccurate reading.

kathyb712
10-12-2009, 02:12 PM
I still don't understand the whole Ketosis thing. I have been 100% OP since I started and my Ketone readings have been negative everytime I've tested them. I'm confused.

QueenD
10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
I still don't understand the whole Ketosis thing. I have been 100% OP since I started and my Ketone readings have been negative everytime I've tested them. I'm confused.

KathyB, when I was a MRC member 10 years ago my ketone readings were always neg too but I was still losing LBS and inches so when just quite doing them.

QueenD
10-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Can someone tell me what the Tanita readings are?

Keiko
10-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Can someone tell me what the Tanita readings are?

Tanita readings measure your lean body mass, water %, body fat %, weight, etc.,. They tend to review Tanita measures monthly.

Keiko
10-13-2009, 01:28 AM

I'm by no means an expert but I bought ketosis sticks at Walgreens a couple weeks ago. I've been testing at home to see if I could better guage my menu choices, etc.,. but notice that my readings are weaker in the evenings than first thing in the morning. I hope to read up on this to see if sleeping has some sort of effect on ketosis? When at the center I generally show signs of ketosis using their sticks. Some say you may have a metallic taste in your mouth when your body is in ketosis, I haven't noticed that myself.

GWE140
10-13-2009, 07:10 AM
I'm by no means an expert but I bought ketosis sticks at Walgreens a couple weeks ago. I've been testing at home to see if I could better guage my menu choices, etc.,. but notice that my readings are weaker in the evenings than first thing in the morning. I hope to read up on this to see if sleeping has some sort of effect on ketosis? When at the center I generally show signs of ketosis using their sticks. Some say you may have a metallic taste in your mouth when your body is in ketosis, I haven't noticed that myself.

The reason you show a weaker reading in the evenings over first thing in the morning is because your urine is more condensed in the morning after fasting throughout the night (not drinking all the water) the water dilutes your urine thus the readings are weaker, this does not mean you are not in ketosis. Our center had a class on everything ketosis and this was one of the issues discussed. Ketosis readings will always be stronger in the morning

kathyb712
10-13-2009, 03:48 PM
GWE I have taken my readings in both am and pm. Both negative. One of the counselors told me that the sticks weren't fool proof, So I guess I'll just hope my center has that Ketosis class sometime soon!!
Thanks

Keiko
10-14-2009, 02:03 AM
The reason you show a weaker reading in the evenings over first thing in the morning is because your urine is more condensed in the morning after fasting throughout the night (not drinking all the water) the water dilutes your urine thus the readings are weaker, this does not mean you are not in ketosis. Our center had a class on everything ketosis and this was one of the issues discussed. Ketosis readings will always be stronger in the morning

Thank you GWE, I'm glad to know I'm not crazy. Your explanation makes perfect sense. Thank you for the info.

iluvindiana
10-14-2009, 02:44 PM
I was told we were not to be in ketosis because that means you are burning lean muscle mass. Is this not true?

porchmom84
10-17-2009, 02:36 PM
I was told we were not to be in ketosis because that means you are burning lean muscle mass. Is this not true?
My understanding is that some people never show up as being in ketosis on the sticks and burn fat on the program. I've registered none and "small" before. I was told that what they watch for at the center is to make sure you aren't in the dark colors on stick--as problem if you're getting too MUCH protein, HNS....above what program recommends.

shopgirl
10-18-2009, 02:41 PM
My understanding is that some people never show up as being in ketosis on the sticks and burn fat on the program. I've registered none and "small" before. I was told that what they watch for at the center is to make sure you aren't in the dark colors on stick--as problem if you're getting too MUCH protein, HNS....above what program recommends.

I'm am ALWAYS within the last 3 darkest colors and they always say "oh, great" whenver I tell them. There has only been one time that I showed a "trace" amt of ketones. I'm a little concerned about it but they don't seem to be. I don't have any kidney pains or strange colored urine. I might ask one of the docs I work with and get his/her opinion.

Fifties Lady
10-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Interesting how all your centers are concerned about ketosis, when as far as I know, the Lincoln center has never brought it up at all. Is this something we need to question with our center? So very curious.

porchmom84
10-18-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm am ALWAYS within the last 3 darkest colors and they always say "oh, great" whenver I tell them. There has only been one time that I showed a "trace" amt of ketones. I'm a little concerned about it but they don't seem to be. I don't have any kidney pains or strange colored urine. I might ask one of the docs I work with and get his/her opinion.
I'd love to hear the doc's opinion...I was disappointed that I wasn't in one of the 3 darkest colors....actually the 1st time I was in the middle one.

Joy2MeNu
10-19-2009, 02:07 PM
I have NEVER been in ketosis, but continue to lose, so I am thinking it is not one more thing I need to concern myself with. If it's working, I don't need to fix it!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar08/weather01/lb/243/130/215/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

slickchick
10-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Hello to all of the MRC people from Nebraska
I just went to my first meeting @MRC. I started to search the internet tonight because I feel so confused about everything. I also was not impressed how Robin handled our first meeting. She rushed thru everything. I had lots of questions that I wanted to ask, but felt I could not since we were so behind according to her. I felt very rushed on what I was choose for my order. I also would have like to have one on one so I could pick the items as to what I would need(minerals and such)-not just a general suggestion to everyone. I really want this diet to work. No one measured me either. They were out of a lot of the items that I really wanted for my first 4 days. Not on word about ketosis or Tanita
I'm so frustrated right now....

Ps where do I find the weight loss ticker things???

porchmom84
10-23-2009, 08:57 PM
GWE I have taken my readings in both am and pm. Both negative. One of the counselors told me that the sticks weren't fool proof, So I guess I'll just hope my center has that Ketosis class sometime soon!!
Thanks

I've had the same experience--am going to get some sticks on my own over the weekend and try that....SURELY we're burning fat with all of this!

magnoliagirl
10-23-2009, 08:57 PM
I just went to my first meeting @MRC. I started to search the internet tonight because I feel so confused about everything. I also was not impressed how Robin handled our first meeting. She rushed thru everything. I had lots of questions that I wanted to ask, but felt I could not since we were so behind according to her. I felt very rushed on what I was choose for my order. I also would have like to have one on one so I could pick the items as to what I would need(minerals and such)-not just a general suggestion to everyone. I really want this diet to work. No one measured me either. They were out of a lot of the items that I really wanted for my first 4 days. Not on word about ketosis or Tanita

You need to wait to be online with 3FC for 20 days and have so many posts. I joined begining of Oct. and got my today. ;)

porchmom84
10-23-2009, 09:01 PM

I can understand why you're frustrated and am sure I would feel the same. By comparison....at my center I had a one on one meeting with counselor BEFORE the 1st meeting.....very relaxed....she made suggestions on minerals, etc, asked questions specific to me.....was measured thoroughly and hqad the Tanita reading too. The group meeting was more general, but I'd already had the one-on-one so was good.
Perhaps there was a mess up staff wise that they aren't aware of--the fact that you didn't get your one-on-one, etc.....I'd sure discuss with manager.

reuselady
10-23-2009, 11:59 PM

It sounds to me like you went to a Food Instruction Class or something, not the Free Consultation. Things may have happened out of order for you. You should have a One-on-One where you do get to ask any and all questions you have, discuss and get advised on which supplements are the right ones for you. You would also get measurements and the print out on the Tanita scale which gives % body fat, water weight, and Fat Free Mass. Usually all this is done when you sign up because this helps determine what your goal might be and how long it might take to get to goal. People usually then do pre-conditioning until they attend the Food Instruction Class where they get the first "real" menu. Do not worry about ketosis. If you eat just what is on your menu, you will be in ketosis, maybe not enough for the ketostik to show even light pink. You do not really want to be burning too much of your body because you may be burning muscle as well as fat and that is not good.

I'm glad you have found this forum. Speak with Robin or one of the other counselors about your confusion. Friday and Saturdays can sometimes be very hectic at the centers. Good "losing" on the program - it really works.

slickchick
10-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Thank you to all that have replied. I did have a one on one meeting 1 1/2 weeks eariler and they told me I could not join until the the following friday. The person who helped me at my initial meeting did not go over what I needed. She had to go pick up someone. i think this is why I am so confused as to what would be good for me. Any way thanks again for the help:)
Also when do they take your picture?

Fifties Lady
10-24-2009, 02:28 PM

Slickchick...welcome to 3FC's. One thing I can tell you, you will find out more by asking questions and reading posts here than you will at the Lincoln Center. I know exactly what you meant about Robin rushing through the meeting. I felt the same way. Our class was so big and crowded that we couldn't have time for questions. And the way they make you complete your order sheet before you learn anything about the program is a poor way of doing things. I was thankful for learning so much here before I joined, otherwise I would have been scratching my head trying to figure out what all was being said. Maybe Robin has done it just way too many times that she just rushes through it anymore. Nothing was even mentioned about Ketosis at all, and I am going on almost 3 months and have not heard the word mentioned yet.

You should have been weighed with a Tanita reading and measured the day you signed up for MRC. Someone really dropped the ball with you there. :?: If you could, try to request Jeannie when you go in next time, I think she has probably been there the longest and will be much more helpful than the younger ones, in my opinion. Jeannie doesn't work everyday, so you may want to call and ask for her schedule. She was quite disgusted when I told her about the misinformation I was given from some of the younger ones. What you have to do, is ask to be measured each month, because they won't do it on their own, it must be too time consuming on their part. You also have to ask for the tanita reading. It should not be that way, especially since we are new and have no idea what is correct in what we are being told. I asked this week what the date was the last time I was measured, which was over a month, but she said nothing about doing it then. Jeannie said it is suppose to be marked the WI before to let them know the next WI should be measured and tanita reading. But that does not get followed. All I can say, is take matters into your own hands and demand to be measured monthly. Sometimes I wonder what we paid for. :?: But you can be sure, they never forget to ask you what you need to purchase that day. Another thing, there is a fish bowl with tickets to sign your name on for some drawing everytime you lose 2 or more pounds. I was not told that until about my 4th WI. So just ask questions here and read. You will get your answers and you will be surprised when reading how other's centers are doing. Again, welcome and I wish you lots of success. :hug:

Jerebo
10-25-2009, 11:11 AM
I keep hearing the word ketosis but I do not know the meaning or the purpose of it? My consultant did mention that she would give me ketosis sticks when I come in but no one has explained to me what it is.

changes4me
10-27-2009, 11:04 AM
I keep hearing the word ketosis but I do not know the meaning or the purpose of it? My consultant did mention that she would give me ketosis sticks when I come in but no one has explained to me what it is.

Ketosis is when your body goes from using carbohydrates for energy to burning fat for energy. At my center we have ketosis sticks in the bathroom and u check for yourself when u weigh in. If you are not in ketosis then you probably are not sticking to the plan. I have been on plan for 3 weeks and have been in high ketosis everytime I weigh in. Ketosis is very important to get rid of fat, so do not cheat and it is not harmful to you at all. Good luck!

porchmom84
10-27-2009, 06:00 PM
Ketosis is when your body goes from using carbohydrates for energy to burning fat for energy. At my center we have ketosis sticks in the bathroom and u check for yourself when u weigh in. If you are not in ketosis then you probably are not sticking to the plan. I have been on plan for 3 weeks and have been in high ketosis everytime I weigh in. Ketosis is very important to get rid of fat, so do not cheat and it is not harmful to you at all. Good luck!

Just want to add and clarify in case anyone else in my boat....--I've been on plan and not cheating and doesn't show ketosis....so sometimes I think it's the sticks. At my center they said some people never have a reading of being in ketosis but they lose fat.

noahsmama
10-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I also (when I wasn't so way off program) rarely showed in ketosis and if I did it was a trace amount.

wchase
11-11-2009, 09:28 PM
We do ketosis every week and then measurements every month (except in the beginning when they did it after the first 2 weeks).

Joy2MeNu
11-12-2009, 09:33 AM
:cheers:We do ketosis every week and then measurements every month (except in the beginning when they did it after the first 2 weeks).

I have yet to be in ketosis, but the weight is coming off. There is absolutely NO concern expressed about this by any of the counselors. One told me they usually don't see that many registering ketosis. While I wish I would see ketosis, just more for the sake of personal reassurance, it is not worth me being consumed by it. Ju:dizzy:st not a factor!