South Beach Diet - Newbie with a meat marinade question...

BlueCrys99
10-03-2009, 11:42 AM
So, this weekend is 'The Great Preparation'. :dizzy: Trying to plan out my new SB WOE to get me through my first week of Phase 1.

I think I know the answer to this question....but I thought I'd double check. I do the majority of cooking around my house (with two male roommates, it's safer that way!). I prepare batches of meats in marinades and freeze them in ziploc bags for easy meals. However, I've noticed that a LOT of the marinades I have call for sugar and/or fruit juice. Is this a huge problem? I mean, the meat is soaked in it, but not cooked in it, as the marinade is thrown away...... :^: Do I need to build an entirely new collection of marinades? Could I substitute the sugar for Splenda?.... :^:

I did try to search for an answer to this...so if it's been asked before, please just post a link to the answer and I'll try not to waste anymore of your time.. and if anyone has a link/list of sf marinades, I'd LOVE to see them. Marinaded chicken and lean pork is so quick and easy to fix....throw in a veggie and you're done!

Thanks so much!
Crystal

BlueCrys99
10-03-2009, 12:43 PM
I've been doing a bit more research and have found a few marinade recipes here on the site.... :) Thanks to those who posted them, and I'll try to give feedback once I've used them.

However, I'd still like opinions, more rational then mine, about sugar in the marinades....can I replace it with Splenda/ et. al? Will it upset the 'acidity' something or other (yes, very technical term) that someone told me is how marinades help with making meat more tender? Or am I completely over analyzing this, and driving myself and anyone who happens by this thread buggy?

:D I'm guessing the latter...it usually is.

Lexxiss
10-03-2009, 04:54 PM
I don't use refined sugar or white flour in anything period. I'm learning to cook and bake without it. When I finished Phase1 I started using Agave Nectar (low glycemic) in small amounts when I needed something sweetened a bit.

From my way of thinking, if something is marinating in a mixture which has refined sugar then the food item will also have it. Now that I understand the destructive nature of it I don't use it.

I don't have the answer to your question regarding acidity, but don't feel that the sugar(or lack of) is affecting the tenderness, but just the flavor. Papaya is a natural meat tenderizer.