South Beach Diet - Phase 1 October thread for starters and restarters

cottagebythesea
10-02-2009, 10:24 PM
This is for all you Newbies who are on Phase 1, and those of you who are repeating Phase 1, to share your questions, concerns, and successes.

10-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Perfect timing!

Are there any rules as to what I have to eat when? From what I've read the only rules are 2 cups of veg at lunch and dinner and that protein has to be at all meals and snacks? So, for example, if I didn't want to have veg with breakfast is that okay?

Heidi58
10-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Hello!

I lost 35 pounds on SBD about 5 years ago, loved the plan and vowed that I'd never go back to eating any other way, but guess what? :(

Anyway, I've got more than 35 lbs to loose this time.
I started phase 1 this morning and I'm looking forward to encouraging and being encouraged by others.

shasha17a
10-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I just started Phase 1 on Monday and doing great so far. I have some friends visiting next week so I hope that I am able to go through the hardest part of this plan without a hitch.

gothik butterfly
10-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi! *waves*

I'm on phase 1 as well. Day 3 ... and had a huge test already last night: alcohol at the bar. AND I PASSED!!! I had NO alcohol!! woohoo!

Hope we can all help and push each other, be accountable and have some fun too! Looking forward to knowing everyone. :)

BlueCrys99
10-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Phase 1 for the second time here. Hoping that this time will be better! :) During the first attempt, the only resources I could find were the recipes in the book, and my (very limited) creativity! This time will be better. This time, I've got backup!

Heidi58
10-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Good morning Phase 1 buddies. :)

I'd forgotten how much water you get rid of on Phase 1. I was up 3 times during the night and I'm wondering if I'll have any trouble sitting through church this morning. lol

I had a hard boiled egg and V-8 for breakfast and it was good, but I'm an oatmeal/cereal lover and have it with fruit every morning. My favorite meal of the day, actually. Even though I'm full I feel like I missed breakfast.

I'm distracting myself by reading and rereading posts here. It's working pretty well so far. :)

Have a nice Sunday!

gothik butterfly
10-04-2009, 12:21 PM
hmmm... I haven't noticed a difference in my "water waste" since I started.... maybe I'm doing something wrong? :(

Heidi58
10-04-2009, 02:21 PM
hmmm... I haven't noticed a difference in my "water waste" since I started.... maybe I'm doing something wrong? :(

Maybe it's just that you weren't as much a pig as I was before starting. ;)

Lexxiss
10-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi Everyone and :welcome3:

You all are cracking me up! This is a great forum to have a little fun while offering mutual support.

Are there any rules as to what I have to eat when? From what I've read the only rules are 2 cups of veg at lunch and dinner and that protein has to be at all meals and snacks? So, for example, if I didn't want to have veg with breakfast is that okay?

867 I don't have the official answer to your question, I don't have a book handy. Someone else will chime in. I add powdered greens in my smoothie.

Gothik has already jumped in on our daily thread and the rest of you are welcome, too.

Best wishes!

cottagebythesea
10-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Perfect timing!

This is a link to a sticky in our FAQs about how to plan your meals. Make sure you check out our FAQ section of this forum to find lots of helpful info and many answers to your questions.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-frequently-asked-questions/56861-how-adapt-your-meal-plan.html

gothik butterfly
10-04-2009, 09:20 PM
always somethin to learn...

I clicked the link and was doing some reading...

I don't have the 'supercharged' book and apparently, someone who is morbidly obese can stay on phase 1 for up to 2 months provided they exercise?

I don't think I want to stay on phase 1 that long but would that be were the so called 1.5 comes in? like, I was thinking of starting week 3 (phase 2 week 1) with an apple once every other day and building up so it would look more like..

week 3: apple every other day
week 4: apple every day
week 5: apple every day and whole grain pasta 2 meals for the whole week
week 6: apple every day, whole grain pasta 2 meals for the whole week, POSSIBLY add something else or stay there. or changing the pasta to bread every other day.

I have never been a huge fruit fan...I don't crave it the way I do the bread or pasta but I know it would be good to have at least a fruit every day so that is why thats getting put into my diet first.

I think I'll be able to be satisfied with my 2 pasta meals (due to leftovers... hmm.. can i freeze say, goulash?) every other week... and the opposite week I could do a little bread... which is easily frozen so it won't spoil between.

just some thoughts...
what cha think?

cottagebythesea
10-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Gothick, your plan for easing into Phase 2 sounds pretty good. Good luck!

For those of you who are considering extending Phase 1, make sure you read all of Dr. A's comment. You may become very bored with it and be setting yourself up for failure. I think going with a Phase 1.5 is much more doable and reasonable.

harrismm
10-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I am restarting phase 1 today since it seems to be the ONLY plan I can stick to and lose weight on and feel great on!!!

MissKoo
10-05-2009, 12:54 AM
What am I doing wrong? I'm so terribly hungry! I've been on Phase I for three days now and I haven't gone off plan at all but I am really just feeling so famished! Of course, I don't want to eat or cheat. Discovery Health and "Half Ton Mom" is on - that's enough to make me want to starve me-self.

So, here is what I ate today.

Celery w/ff cream cheese
ff fudgsicle
sirloin steak (yummy! We splurged at the grocery a bit . . .)
large green salad (4 types of green incl. spinach) little bit of homemade dressing (from sb recipe)
pistachio nuts (20)
nf refried beans with 1/2 ounce ff cheese and no sugar salsa
3 cups herbal tea (neither caffeine nor sugar)
2 glasses of Crystal Lite Lemonade
Plain, nf greek yougurt w/sprinkle of splenda

I eat about every three hours - doc said that might help.
Any ideas? :dizzy:

gothik butterfly
10-05-2009, 01:21 AM
Hi Misskoo!

I think you're not getting enough food/calories overall. Definitely up your protein. Throw some chicken breast in that salad! Have an egg or two ...

get more veggies! steam some broccoli or brussel sprouts.. green beans...

you shouldn't be hungry on this diet. especially if you're eating every 3 hours.

look around at the stickied threads and I'm sure you'll find a lot to help you out.

and I hear ya about Discover Health.. I'm watching it right now and man... it REALLY makes me wanna stay on point.

Lexxiss
10-05-2009, 05:18 AM
Miss Koo

I was hungry on P1 no matter what I did. I think my blood sugar was just all over the place as I detoxed from all the sugar and carbs.

Eat a good breakfast. I couldn't tell from your list what your breakfast was. There are good recipes for egg casseroles which you can add vegies and proteins to.

I would up your vegies and proteins for sure. My salads always included a multitude of crunchies; cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, cabbage, celery, green pepper. You can go through a salad bar at the grocery and get all the extras if you don't want to purchase each item. I cooked my own beans and mixed in a bit of onion. I always had diced chicken and 3 bean salad on hand. I used canned garbanzos, kidney beans and green beans and made a dressing with some of the GB juice, splenda and vinegar.

Some nights I just went to bed early. The next morning I felt better. I was determined to get through a clean P1 because everyone said that the cravings WOULD go away. Fortunately, that was true. My life is totally crave free now, which is why I continue not to eat any food off plan. I don't want that monkey on my back again.

Best Wishes!

Heidi58
10-05-2009, 06:58 AM
What am I doing wrong? I'm so terribly hungry! I've been on Phase I for three days now and I haven't gone off plan at all but I am really just feeling so famished! Of course, I don't want to eat or cheat. Discovery Health and "Half Ton Mom" is on - that's enough to make me want to starve me-self.

So, here is what I ate today.

Celery w/ff cream cheese
ff fudgsicle
sirloin steak (yummy! We splurged at the grocery a bit . . .)
large green salad (4 types of green incl. spinach) little bit of homemade dressing (from sb recipe)
pistachio nuts (20)
nf refried beans with 1/2 ounce ff cheese and no sugar salsa
3 cups herbal tea (neither caffeine nor sugar)
2 glasses of Crystal Lite Lemonade
Plain, nf greek yougurt w/sprinkle of splenda

I eat about every three hours - doc said that might help.
Any ideas? :dizzy:Your meals sound pretty small to me..... (yummy, but small). gothik butterly and Lexxiss gave good advice about increasing your protein and overall food intake. Hopefully you'll feel better today.

Wow Lexxiss, I guess I've been lucky. I've done phase 1 several times in the past and the one thing I never had to worry about was being hungry. I do go to bed early though - before my husband gets the junk food out. ;)

gothik butterfly
10-05-2009, 10:21 AM
yeah me too... wow. i've not been hungry. thank GOODNESS! I am a very whiney and pouty girl when I'm hungry. my neck hurts, my eyes burn, my stomach growls really hard.. not a fun time.

10-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Good morning everyone! What did everyone have for breakfast?

shasha17a
10-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Good morning Phase 1 buddies. :)

I'd forgotten how much water you get rid of on Phase 1. I was up 3 times during the night and I'm wondering if I'll have any trouble sitting through church this morning. lol

I had a hard boiled egg and V-8 for breakfast and it was good, but I'm an oatmeal/cereal lover and have it with fruit every morning. My favorite meal of the day, actually. Even though I'm full I feel like I missed breakfast.

I'm distracting myself by reading and rereading posts here. It's working pretty well so far. :)

Have a nice Sunday!

Oh I totally know what you mean about going to the bathroom so often. Last week I swear I had to go so much and it was wierd, I didn't make the connection.

shasha17a
10-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Today for breakfast I had some cottage cheese and edamame. I am getting really tired of eggs. I bought the SB book yesterday and hopefully the breakfast recipes are good for some variety.

schluh
10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Hi everyone...been gone a while and I can tell. On first phase again. A little easier this time because I have begun eating lean beef again and can still tollerate some seafood (had developed an allergy to most). Last time I did phse one I was pretty much a vegetarian and let me tell you I didn't want to see an egg again for years.

I am also lucky becuse this time my husband is doing it with me. I think I am lucky....we will see how much he whines and then I will see if he really helps!

Need to get about 10 to 15 lbs off. Only about 30% of my clothes fit and I know it is from all the horrible food I have been eating. Dieting is the only thing that helps me loose weight. I can excersize and tone up but the fat layer seems to remain. Wish me luck again!
Schluh

ovwgirl
10-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Hi! Trying to do a clean phase 1 for the first time. It's different this time because I'm focusing more on the health of cutting out bad foods rather than weight loss alone. Today is day 2 and I'm feeling good so far! I look forward to sharing this experience with everyone :)

Meremaiden
10-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi all-- another phase 1'er here. On my second week-- week one was great but I learned (remembered as years ago i did it)that sucralose (splenda) is the only chemical sweetener i like th taste od but I think it gives me massive headaches?! Anyone else have that?

So, I've been doing a modified phase 1 using agave syrup in my morning coffee. Doesn't seem to be affecting me though I feel a lot less hungry than before and don't really miss bread..

Made an easy soup last night with leftover chicken (from a roast), cabbage sliced, garlic onions, and a bag of 4 beans (dried for soups)-- I have the whole family eating along wih me!

Good luck all! Week one I lost an inch around my waist and 5 pounds!:carrot:

Heidi58
10-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Today for breakfast I had some cottage cheese and edamame. I am getting really tired of eggs. I bought the SB book yesterday and hopefully the breakfast recipes are good for some variety.

Phase 1 breakfast is my biggest challenge. I am NOT fond of eggs.

I'm a real oatmeal/cereal lover though and lots of mornings I steam lima beans and eat them in a bowl with a spoon - sort of tricking myself into thinking I'm eating cereal I guess. lol

Karen
10-05-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm back AGAIN (well starting in the morning) and I'm determined to get a clean phase 1 in. This is the only diet that I feel good on. Wish me lots of luck.

Heidi58
10-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi all-- another phase 1'er here. On my second week-- week one was great but I learned (remembered as years ago i did it)that sucralose (splenda) is the only chemical sweetener i like th taste od but I think it gives me massive headaches?! Anyone else have that?

Have you tried stevia? I don't have any problems with Splenda (thankfully) but we use stevia in our hot tea/coffee. Tastes great, you can get it in pre-measured packets and it's pretty easy to find in grocery stores now.....

tmhbpr
10-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi everyone. Today is day one for me on South Beach. This is actually my first time dieting. I was never overweight in highschool but after I gained about 30-40lbs. I never had to worry back then but now Iv come to the point where I need to do something about this. I had a pretty good day today, followed the diet straight on but Im a little concerned because im not a vegetable person at all so I had to force myself to eat broccoli tonight with dinner. Do I need to get a certain amount of vegetables each day? What if I dont eat any will I still achieve weight loss?

10-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi everyone. Today is day one for me on South Beach. This is actually my first time dieting. I was never overweight in highschool but after I gained about 30-40lbs. I never had to worry back then but now Iv come to the point where I need to do something about this. I had a pretty good day today, followed the diet straight on but Im a little concerned because im not a vegetable person at all so I had to force myself to eat broccoli tonight with dinner. Do I need to get a certain amount of vegetables each day? What if I dont eat any will I still achieve weight loss?

According to plan for phase one it states that you are suposed to get a min of 1/2 cup veg with breakfast, 2 cups with lunch and 2 cups with supper.

I'm not sure of what happens if you don't eat the veggies in terms of weight loss, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't affect that, but you might not FEEL good because of the vitamins, minerals, carbs and fiber ect that you are missing out on.

cottagebythesea
10-05-2009, 08:54 PM

If you try this plan without including at least 4 1/2 cups of vegetables daily, then you aren't really following The South Beach Diet. Vegetables and protein play a big factor in this plan.

We strongly suggest that you thoroughly read and understand the basics in the book before starting this plan, so you'll know exactly how it works and what you should be eating. We do have the updated Phase 1 and 2 Food Lists in our FAQ section, but the book gives you fundamentals of why you should be eating certain things, and why you should avoid others.

MissKoo
10-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Hey chicks. I'm still on Phase I and all is WEIRD.

I woke up this morning and I felt like I had already eaten - no appetite! This lack of appetite lasted most of the day. So, I made myself sit down and eat four times. Two egg omlette w/red peppers & salsa, cauliflower, celery w/hummus, greek yogurt, two large green salads (once with four ounces of salmon).

I'm not ready to give up but I have had headaches every day and I felt kind of shaky this afternoon. On the positive side: my tummy feels flatter. Also, like someone mentioned in this thread, I'm p-ing like it's goin' out of style!

Perhaps it's some kind of carb detox or my body just isn't used to NOT pumping a ton of insulin out to match my carbo binges. All I know is I am eating healthy food that's on plan, no caffeine & small regular meals. I made it through today.

Karen
10-06-2009, 07:04 AM
If I make sure to eat beans and dairy, I don't get the headaches.

Ruthxxx
10-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Good advice, Karen! The "South Beach Flu" can be avoided by including the legumes and the dairy allowance each day.

Heidi58
10-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Good morning! :D
Day 3 for me and I'm feeling good and my scale is saying good things....

Good luck all! Week one I lost an inch around my waist and 5 pounds!:carrot: :hug: Keep up the good work!

I'm back AGAIN (well starting in the morning) and I'm determined to get a clean phase 1 in. This is the only diet that I feel good on. Wish me lots of luck. Good luck! :hug:

Hey chicks. I'm still on Phase I and all is WEIRD.

I woke up this morning and I felt like I had already eaten - no appetite! This lack of appetite lasted most of the day. So, I made myself sit down and eat four times. Two egg omlette w/red peppers & salsa, cauliflower, celery w/hummus, greek yogurt, two large green salads (once with four ounces of salmon).

I'm not ready to give up but I have had headaches every day and I felt kind of shaky this afternoon. On the positive side: my tummy feels flatter. Also, like someone mentioned in this thread, I'm p-ing like it's goin' out of style!

Perhaps it's some kind of carb detox or my body just isn't used to NOT pumping a ton of insulin out to match my carbo binges. All I know is I am eating healthy food that's on plan, no caffeine & small regular meals. I made it through today.I don't get the headaches but despite taking fiber supplements, eating pistachios and including lots of V8 and veggies I always get constipated on phase 1 - and my first sign/symptom is I feel full and don't want to eat. The more water I drink the better I feel though.

Hope you're head feels better today.

MissKoo
10-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Still feel a bit headache-ish from last night. Had two eggs & greek yogurt for breakfast (also some celery stix w/tiny bit of peanut butter). I got on the Wii Fit for my yoga this morning and it said I lost four pounds already! I'm going to make sure I stay extra hydrated today. I have lost a ton of water so am going to drink extra 32 ounces. Hoping that will kick my headache in the bum!

Good Tuesday to us all!

mompen
10-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Just wanted to say how PROUD I am of all of us! I started SB last Monday..
Down 10 lbs as of yesterday. Knowing that it is going to slow down from now on.. but I am finally in a good flow and found my groove!

Keep plugging along ladies.. Doing something is better than doing nothing :)

Heidi58
10-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Good news MissKoo! :D 4 pounds already.

I'll be anxious to hear if the extra water helps today.

Hi Penny - thanks for the encouragement. You did awesome losing that much on phase 1.

schluh
10-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Quick update about having your husband on SB with you. It sucks. He has not stopped whining since he started and he feels "awful!!!" but won't do my suggestions like more beans and lots of veggies to help him out. I told him the hunger and cravings and headaches will go away but 48 hours into it he acts like he is dying. PS He has never been on a diet in his life. Boys and their metabolisms suck. He will probably still loose 20lbs in a week!!!

10-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Today was a good second day for me, I did slip up and have a raspberry (okay, three?) but considering they GI of raspberries I didn't have any problems with cravings later on.

After reading up on fiber (and lack thereof causing issues on PH 1) I went out and got some fiber supplements (the lemonade flavor ;)).

shasha17a
10-07-2009, 12:05 AM
I am more than halfway through SB phase 1 at this point and down about 10lbs. Breakfast is still annoying, but I bought some turkey bacon from the store to try out tomorrow. I don't think I have ever tried it. But I have heard mixed reviews. Do any of you eat it often? Thoughts?

10-07-2009, 01:22 AM
I am more than halfway through SB phase 1 at this point and down about 10lbs. Breakfast is still annoying, but I bought some turkey bacon from the store to try out tomorrow. I don't think I have ever tried it. But I have heard mixed reviews. Do any of you eat it often? Thoughts?

Turkey bacon isn't for everyone, I personally LOVE IT :) Its not exactly like "real" bacon so keep that in mind :) I've also found that much like bacon, the brand/quality matters :) (I ate this before going on SB, luckily I can still eat it!)

Heidi58
10-07-2009, 07:02 AM
I've never tried the turkey bacon either. Hope you'll enjoy it shasha17a.

schluh, I had to smile when I read your post. :D
The first time I did SBD (several years ago now) my main motivation was to get my husband's health issues under control. He was quite excited about the program UNTIL he started it. lol He was miserable during phase 1, but like your husband it was mostly because he chose not to eat parts of meals and snacks and he was often hungry. Once we shifted into phase 2 he did great though. He cheated regularly, but felt good and still lost more quickly than I did - even though I rarely went off plan. Sadly, we've both gained back all that we lost and then some. His bp and cholesterol are still down though so he's not jumping onto SBD with me this time. I'm thinking he'll lose some weight anyway because I'm not baking like I usually do and I'm serving him the same meals I'm eating.

Good move 8675309 - Fiber supplements are my best friends right now. ;)

schluh
10-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Heidi---I figured I was not alone with the pitiful husband. Just like when they are sick they are so dramatic! He has only been on it 2 full days and has lost 3lbs. I kinda hate him right now. LOL!

HRCarol
10-07-2009, 10:03 PM
So far so good on Ph1, Day 1. Any comments on my food is certainly appreciated:

B - 1/2 cup eggbeaters, 1/2 cup veggies, slice of deli ham omlettey-thing, tiny V8 juice
L - greek salad, under 2 tbl of dressing, extra pepprochini, cuc, toms, olives
Sn - low fat mozz stick, 6 grape toms
Sn - 1 cup plain, lowfat yogurt and tiny bit of no sugar jam (I can't beleive I now LOVE this stuff)
D - celery and wedge of laughing cow chz, 2 turkey dogs, 1/2 cups of mixture of baked beans and a soy burger (opened the can - tossed in about a cup of soy burger and will just take out 1/2 cup at a time), cup of milk
Sn - either 15 almonds or sf fudgicle/pb delite

Heidi58
10-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Heidi---I figured I was not alone with the pitiful husband. Just like when they are sick they are so dramatic! He has only been on it 2 full days and has lost 3lbs. I kinda hate him right now. LOL!
Don't get me started about when they're sick..... lol

But to be fair, he could tell quite a few stories about me, too. Especially if the topics PMS or menopause come up. ;)

murphmitch
10-07-2009, 11:25 PM
So far so good on Ph1, Day 1. Any comments on my food is certainly appreciated:

D - celery and wedge of laughing cow chz, 2 turkey dogs, 1/2 cups of mixture of baked beans and a soy burger (opened the can - tossed in about a cup of soy burger and will just take out 1/2 cup at a time), cup of milk

Make sure your baked beans have no added sugar. Commercially prepared baked beans have sugar, molasses, etc. in them. Hot dogs are Phase II. From the FAQ's for Phase II foods:

All hot dogs (beef, pork, poultry, soy) can be enjoyed occasionally (once/week) if they are at least 97% fat free (contain 3-6 grams of fat/serving).

shasha17a
10-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I ate the turkey bacon yesterday (the Jeannie-O brand). It was ok. A lot drier than real bacon. I will be able to eat more so I'm happy about that. I'm on D11 P1 so just a few more days. I was going to extend phase 1 for another week, but I really don't think I can. While I'm definatly NOT craving junky foods, I miss having a little bit of rice with my meat and veggies for dinner or a slice of bread for breakfast with eggs. I also hope that I can hit 240 by the end of phase 1.

gothik butterfly
10-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Hello Phase 1'ers!

I weighed in this morning... week 1 down 6 lbs! I'm very very pleased! My pants fit differently already as well.

I'm also switching up some of my food/snacks this week .. cuz I was gettin really tired of what I ate last week. It's supposed to be really cold, maybe snow this weekend so I'm making chili. I hope. I haven't bought the ingredients yet, we'll see if I can afford it.

can't wait to be able to eat a honey crisp apple though.. 1 more week to go!

Stay positive, stay strong, keep coming back, it works!

shasha17a
10-08-2009, 06:08 PM
gothik- Chili sounds so yummy and a stick to your ribs kind of meal (in a good way of course). I've been thinking of making some since I have been craving a hearty dinner.

HRCarol
10-08-2009, 10:26 PM
<<<<<<Make sure your baked beans have no added sugar. Commercially prepared baked beans have sugar, molasses, etc. in them. Hot dogs are Phase II. From the FAQ's for Phase II foods:

<<<<<<All hot dogs (beef, pork, poultry, soy) can be enjoyed occasionally (once/week) if they are at least 97% fat free (contain 3-6 grams of fat/serving).

Thanks, Anne ! I think I read that turkey dogs are ok for Ph1. These have 0.5 grams of fat.

Heidi58
10-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi Ladies! :)

I've had a wild day today - nothing bad, I've been able to stay on plan and even get a few minutes on the treadmill, but I've been rushing since I rolled out of bed at 5:30 this morning. *sigh*

Catch you tomorrow!

gothik butterfly
10-08-2009, 11:31 PM
has anyone else noticed diet uncaffinated soda triggering cravings? they sure are for me. ugh. I had one tonight because I was hanging out with friends and half way through I started having visions of lots of naughty foods LOL

I will have to be very very careful with them. I drink water all day so I thought my 'sweet treat' tonight would be my soda. I think I just need to nix the sweet treat altogether.

cottagebythesea
10-09-2009, 07:51 AM
has anyone else noticed diet uncaffinated soda triggering cravings? they sure are for me. ugh. I had one tonight because I was hanging out with friends and half way through I started having visions of lots of naughty foods LOL

I will have to be very very careful with them. I drink water all day so I thought my 'sweet treat' tonight would be my soda. I think I just need to nix the sweet treat altogether.

Diet sodas are notorious for inducing cravings for many people. I've found it much more satisfying to drink the Crystal Light beverages, as they don't trigger sugar cravings at all.

Heidi58
10-09-2009, 07:58 AM

I have to be careful with diet sodas too...... I've been drinking them with junk food for years - and now a diet coke without a salty junk food snack just doesn't do it for me.

It's just as well, I was drinking way too much of the stuff and I feel better without it anyway.

gothik butterfly
10-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Diet sodas are notorious for inducing cravings for many people. I've found it much more satisfying to drink the Crystal Light beverages, as they don't trigger sugar cravings at all.

I should do that. I have a bunch of the 'on the go' packets... I could easily take them with me.

I did notice that the fruit punch flavored one gives me cravings too. but the others so far have not. my favorite is pink lemonade.

shasha17a
10-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Sunday is my last day of Phase 1. I'm looking forward to getting more variety in my meals.

goob
10-09-2009, 03:33 PM
1st time on SB Diet. This is my 2nd day. I'm feeling great so far.

mompen
10-09-2009, 03:45 PM
This Monday will be two weeks for Phase I for me...
drum roll........:crossed::crossed:

I am down 14 pounds as of today! Yah!

I know things will slow down but I am blessed for every pound gone! :carrot:

As far as the turkey bacon... I love it .. I bought a microwave bacon rack.. it works really well when I want a piece of bacon!

Congrats to everyone! Every day is one day closer to goal

brandyandi
10-10-2009, 02:37 AM
I don't think I've ever eaten this much food in two days. I'm rationalizing it like just don't eat the bad carbs and get through the physical sugar withdrawal. I did this diet years ago but I didn't like cheese that much or meat or veggies.. blah blah blah... well, now I do and I think I've eaten enough for four daysnot two. Granted yesterday I did an absurd amout of exercise (including a cardio kickboxing class). Today I couldn't exercise; actually I could barely walk or sit or get up...lol. That cardio class killed me.

I hope tomorrow goes better with my food intake (amounts). God please help me be successful with this. Amen

P.S. love you guys~ God bless you!

Ruthxxx
10-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Just checking in on a great group of Phase I folks and adding a :welcome: for the new chicks. Reading your posts it looks like you all "get it" and are being successful. Good work! :grouphug:

HeaterAS
10-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Hey everyone, the official start of phase 1 starts today! I went grocery shopping in the pouring rain last night because I was so determined to start today LOL.

It's hard to believe that I get through this first 2 weeks and I can start adding stuff back in. I've got this mental block that doubts if I personally will be able to add much in and still be able to lose. Of course I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who has been on and off Atkins. And even though Atkins "works" the reason I chose South Beach instead this time is because Atkins is NOT a sustainable way of life for me. And I know you can eventually add in carbs on Atkins but honestly I never got to the point where I could try because I never got NEAR my goal weight! LOL.
So I need to believe that this will work and follow the program to a T and just trust that what has worked for so many will also work for me!

Heidi58
10-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Sunday is my last day of Phase 1. I'm looking forward to getting more variety in my meals.:carrot: Congratulations! :D

1st time on SB Diet. This is my 2nd day. I'm feeling great so far. Hi goob - nice to meet you. :) I'm glad things are going well.

This Monday will be two weeks for Phase I for me...
drum roll........:crossed::crossed:

I am down 14 pounds as of today! Yah!

:carrot: Hooray for you! :carrot:
I've never lost that much on phase 1 - I sure hope this will be the time I do.
This is day 8 for me and I'm down 7 pounds. :)
I don't think I've ever eaten this much food in two days.
:D It does seem like a lot of food, doesn't it? I've got a close friend who's always on some sort of diet and she couldn't believe the stuff I was enjoying while losing last time I did SBD.
Hey everyone, the official start of phase 1 starts today! I went grocery shopping in the pouring rain last night because I was so determined to start today LOL. Hi :) It's nice to meet you. Sounds like you're determined. :D

10-10-2009, 08:26 PM
*sigh* I'm restarting tomorrow! I had a few bad days closer to the end of this week due to last minute work events I wasn't even suposed to go to. However, I did still lose about 3-4 lbs (I'll be reweighing tomorrow and get the average) so not bad considering I only really was OP for 1/2 the week.

HeaterAS
10-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Yikes, I plugged in my calories for yesterday and somehow I only ate 940 calories! I wasn't following the official phase 1 meal plan though so today I'm at a much more reasonable 1400.
Does anyone else calorie count as well? My dr wants me on on something like south beach, but he wants me to count calories as well since he wants me to see the nutrition info of what I'm eating on a regular basis.

Forgive me if I ask too many questions ;)

HeaterAS
10-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Good luck!!!!

gothik butterfly
10-10-2009, 08:56 PM
3 days into week 2... and goin strong!

can't wait for that apple next week though.....

went out again last night - no liquor! out again tonight... and am confident I will say no. My dad and I hung out today and he tried to get me to have "just one" of his cherry bombs and I politely declined. three times. LOL

Heidi58
10-11-2009, 08:51 AM
I woke up with an awful sore throat this morning. I'm drinking a chocolate milkeshake right now (skim milk, sf choc syrup, vanilla extract and ice cubes). It feels soo good on my throat and tastes so good. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed these!

Other than that all is going well. I'm on day 9 and junk food isn't looking quite so inviting anymore. I've lost 7 pounds which is about normal for me on phase 1, but I'm still hoping to loose another pound or two by Friday. :D

HeaterAS, no I don't count calories. That's one of the things I like best about SBD - I don't have to do any counting.

8675309, hope this week is easier for you! *hug*

Gothik, I'm with you. I can't wait to have an apple - or my oatmeal! :D

Have a great Sunday! :)

gothik butterfly
10-11-2009, 10:20 AM
woke up to roommates kids outside my bedroom door. am not happy. slept only 5 hours. coffee still brewing.

on positive note... closed bar down last night....on 1 diet 7 up, 1 coffee and WATER.

I have discipline, yes I do! I have discipline, how bout you?! *rah rah*

s'all I got right now. will attempt to go back to bed at some point, i imagine. LOL

HeaterAS
10-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Gothik-that's great you were able to say no to your dad!!!!

Heidi, I hope you feel better!!!

I had some MAJOR cravings last night. For crusty bread. Ugh. It came about because we were watching TV and a woman on TV was eating a piece of bread in a restaurant. Wow, it was like a pregnancy craving it was so strong, LOL.
But I was good.
We do have bread and fruit and no no things in the house because I have a toddler and he needs those things, but I've not been tempted.
I made the chocolate peanut butter thing for phase 1 last night. Very yummy, and yes tastes just like a peanut butter cup. Highly recommend!

gothik butterfly
10-11-2009, 11:19 AM
I made the chocolate peanut butter thing for phase 1 last night. Very yummy, and yes tastes just like a peanut butter cup. Highly recommend!

must have recipe.......

never was there a relationship made in heaven .. like the marriage of chocolate and peanut butter.

if there's a phase 1 recipe that tastes like a peanut butter cup.. i MUST taste it! lol

HeaterAS
10-11-2009, 11:22 AM
(okay I tried to link but I don't have enough posts....it's in the phase 1 desserts section, stickied right at the top)

I was skeptical at first ,but sooo good.

Texture is kind of just like melted ice cream. But tonight I might try freezing it and see what I think of that.

gothik butterfly
10-11-2009, 11:42 AM
awesome! thx!

Heidi58
10-11-2009, 02:43 PM
I have discipline, yes I do! I have discipline, how bout you?! *rah rah*

s'all I got right now. will attempt to go back to bed at some point, i imagine. LOL
:carrot: lol I'm memorizing that cheer! lol :carrot:

Good job Gothik! :D

Thanks HeaterAS, it's just seasonal allergies, but they make me miserable. *sigh*

sigma23
10-11-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm starting SBD today - very excited that this forum exists because it's very inspirational and motivational!!

gothik butterfly
10-11-2009, 05:50 PM
welcome, sigma!

SillyFluff
10-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Well today is day 1 of phase I for me. So far for breakfast I had 2 bacon egg and cheese cups (that equals 2 eggs, 2 slices turkey bacon and 1/4c RF cheddar cheese) and a glass of low sodium V8. I'm still a little hungry so I think I'm gonna eat some string cheese. The rest of the day looks like this:

Snack: bell pepper strips and ranch dip (made from FF sour cream and ranch seasoning)
Lunch: 1/2c black beans, 1/2c NSA salsa, 1/4 c RF cheddar
Snack: 2 string cheese 14 turkey pepperoni (serving size)

Haven't decided on dinner yet. I kinda want to have chili... I'll let you all know.

CyndiM
10-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Gothik - one of my favorite desserts is Greek yogurt with a T of PB, some cocoa powder and allowed sweetener. Tastes like chocolate PB pudding. I'm sure sf choc syrup would work really well too (maybe better - no cocoa powder flying around the house!)

cottagebythesea
10-12-2009, 08:31 AM
WELCOME, Sigma!

SillyFluff, your menu looks a little light on the veggies so far. Be sure to include at least 4 1/2 cups a day, and make sure you include some dairy, too.

HeaterAS
10-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Welcome Sigma!!!!

SillyFluff, welcome as well! I'm a newbie too ;)

Off to work at the mother's day out program I teach at two days a week. I have 10 18-20 month olds...what a workout!!! LOL

Last night ended out really really well. Having beans with dinner REALLY helps with late night cravings...whodathunkit? haha

I am struggling a bit with the 4 1/2 cups of veggies. I'm getting about 4 but choking some of that down to be honest. More because I'm really not that hungry, but also because I just have issues eating volumes of veggies. I'm doing it though because hopefully if I push through it will become easier. I find I have to have most veggies with some fat, even reduced fat...to make it palatable at this time. All on plan stuff, but that's the only way I can seem to manage certain things.

goob
10-12-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm on day 5 of Phase 1. So far I've lost 0.8 lbs. That sucks big time. My diet before SB was making me lose more weight. Plus I do 4 miles with jogging and walking a day. I'm quitting and going back to my normal diet. Eggs are making me sick! I miss my cereal & oatmeal. Good luck to you all!

mompen
10-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Marvelous Monday Ladies!

Hope everyone has an on plan day!

Heidi58
10-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Ladies! :)

Welcome Sigma and Silly Fluff, I look forward to getting to know you.
Goob, I'm sorry to see you go. Thank you for the well wishes.

I'm still feeling lousy, I sure am glad for that chocolate milkshake recipe. I had some soft veggies and cottage cheese for lunch and I'm still trying to figure out something easy to swallow but on plan for supper. Other than that I'm having a nice Columbus Day. The weather is beautiful here today, cool but sunny and the leaves are at peak color right now. I think I'm going to head out for another walk once I get my laundry moved to the drier....

Have a great Monday, friends! :)

SillyFluff
10-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Well work a little busy and it will be so snacks are a no go sadly. I have to figure something out. I just got home. Am eating my bellpeppers and pepperoni and cheese cuz i'm starving.

gothik butterfly
10-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I've got chilli in the crockpot... its the Wendy's Chilli in the SB recipes (phase 1 soups and stews)

I'll tell ya how it turns out.. but it's been on an hour and I sampled... mmm mmm good!

HeaterAS
10-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Yeah for sure let us know how it turns out. I'd really like to try it!!!

TOUGH day. I had a really bad day at work and went to pull up my car in the pouring rain to pick up my kids and someone pointed out I had a flat tire!

Not fun. Came home and so badly wanted to do something bad. Luckily there's nothing really bad here that's not my kids food and I don't eat thier fruit and bread anyway, not really a craving for me. So I ate a sugar free fudgsicle and had some ice cold water and felt better. I also didn't want to cook because I had a bad day but I sucked it up and our beef and brocolli casserole is in the oven. I'm only officially on day 3 and already feel like I'd rather starve than eat another veggie.

gothik butterfly
10-12-2009, 08:52 PM
that chilli ROCKS!!! I made the full batch.. so I have chilli for days! (add a little shredded cheese and sour cream and it is heavenly!)

mompen
10-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Gonna try the chili tomorrow! Now I just need some cold weather here in Louisiana!

gothik butterfly
10-12-2009, 10:19 PM
you can have mine, Mompen! It does NOT snow here in October.. yet we had big ol' white flakeys today.. bah.

on second thought.. ever been to Wisconsin? wanna trade houses for a week? ROFL

WannaBFit47
10-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Hi, everyone! I just started SBD today-Phase 1 Day 1 DONE!

Did quite well, too. Of course, this is only the 1st day so we shall see.

Heidi58
10-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Welcome WannaBFit. :)

We're supposed to get our first snow today, there's a snow/rain mix right now. I am going to have a room full of very excited 5 year olds today! lol

Still doing OK on phase 1, but anxious for Saturday morning when I can have my oats again. :) Or an apple.

Enjoy your Tuesday.

HeaterAS
10-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Welcome WannaBFit!!!

I hear you Heidi. I am only on day 4 now so I have a ways to go. But thank God this is not Atkins lol. I am so ready to start adding some things in and eventually finding a healthy balance. That's why I never lasted on Atkins, too restricting for too long, you know?

I've had some struggles so far but you know what? I've birthed two children, I can handle 2 weeks of this.
My husband had two dr peppers yesterday. He saw the proof of it on the scale too. That's enough for me to stay OP since I am seeing a slow but steady decrease.

gothik butterfly
10-13-2009, 06:08 PM
well... tomorrow is my last day officially on phase 1! I'm adding in an apple every other day starting Thursday. Also, since Sundays seem to be lazy and my crockpot chili was so awesome this week.. I'm going to start trying other soups and chilis every sunday.

This Sunday is the White Chicken Chili (with another bean substituted for the corn). I do need a thickening agent though. The recipe says 9 cups of chili... only 2 tbsp of flour.

Any other ideas to use as a thickening agent for the chili? or since it's a whole 2 tbsp maybe I shouldn't worry too much for 9 cups of soup?

can't wait to weigh in Thursday morning... and see how well I did on phase 1! 6lbs week 1.. lets hope similar for week 2!

HeaterAS
10-13-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm making a version of white chicken chilli now, but I didn't see the one on this site until I came up with my own.

I suppose you could puree up a 1/2 cup or so and stir it back in???

Tomorrow is your last day! Wow, that's great! Are you pleased with your results? Do you feel good? Was the second week easier or harder than the first?

gothik butterfly
10-13-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm making a version of white chicken chilli now, but I didn't see the one on this site until I came up with my own.

I suppose you could puree up a 1/2 cup or so and stir it back in???

Tomorrow is your last day! Wow, that's great! Are you pleased with your results? Do you feel good? Was the second week easier or harder than the first?

this recipe was in the 300+ "one positive thing..." thread.

I will substitute pinto beans for corn. don't know about the flour yet though.

WHITE CHICKEN CHILI

Makes 9 cups
1 pound chicken breasts, diced
14 ounces chicken broth (1 cups)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Pepper to taste
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
8 ounces canned chopped mild green chilies
2 tablespoons flour
28 ounces canned white beans, rinsed
14 ounces canned corn, including liquid
1 tablespoon vinegar

2 cups fat-free half n half
cup low-fat sour cream
teaspoon Tabasco
Garnish with chopped cilantro
Cook chicken in splash of the chicken broth in a Dutch oven over medium heat until cooked. Heat remaining broth in microwave. Transfer chicken to a dish to hold.
Melt butter with chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Add onion, red pepper, garlic and chilies; cook until onion is soft. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Stir in hot broth, chicken, beans, corn and vinegar. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 90 minutes. Stir in half n half, sour cream and Tabasco; rewarm but do not boil. Serve and enjoy!
NUTRITION ESTIMATE Per Cup: 261 Cal; 7g Tot Fat; 3g Sat Fat; 32g Carb; 5g Fiber; 1013mg Sodium; 44mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 5 points

Both weeks have been really easy for me. The only thing that was tough was the sugar cravings night one. I didn't have any SB friendly sweet treats but I just took it 5 minutes at a time, ate some protein and kept myself busy. Other than that, it has been easy peasy. (I did get sick of chicken .. was eating alot of it due to my financial situation but I learned quickly how to mix it up with different things to make it taste different)

I'm very very happy... hoping to see another good number on the scale Thursday morning... I know my pants are fitting differently and so are my bras. (I lose around the rib cage and down ...)

I feel great, and next week will be starting Zumba at the local YMCA should my finances check out for the week.

cottagebythesea
10-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Gothick, I think you could completely eliminate the corn, and you wouldn't even miss it. As for thickening, you could substitute arrowroot for the flour, or use white whole wheat pastry flour. I would just puree some of the beans, though, and stir it back into the chili.

gothik butterfly
10-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Gothick, I think you could completely eliminate the corn, and you wouldn't even miss it. As for thickening, you could substitute arrowroot for the flour, or use white whole wheat pastry flour. I would just puree some of the beans, though, and stir it back into the chili.

sounds good to me. this is what i'll do

SillyFluff
10-13-2009, 09:02 PM
wow..today was such a crazy and sad day. I didn't get a chance to eat my whole lunch at work because I was working like crazy because i had a meeting this afternoon. SO i ate lunch when i got home at 4:00. WHen i got home i found out that my dog had passed away in her sleep. Cried and cried for awhile. :( rough day...

gothik butterfly
10-13-2009, 09:08 PM
oh no!!!! thats awful! I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug:

cottagebythesea
10-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Fluff, I'm so sorry for your tragic loss. What a truly sad day for your family. :hug:

Lexxiss
10-13-2009, 10:28 PM
So sorry, Fluff.:hug: Take care of yourself.

murphmitch
10-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Fluff, so sorry about your dog! :hug:

Gothik, I have seen people puree beans for the thickener in chili. Also make sure instead of butter to use a transfat-free spread like Smart Balance.

beachgal
10-14-2009, 10:41 AM
:hug: Fluff, that's horrible! I'm so sorry, and I know it must be really, really hard to deal with. :cry: We lost our beloved bunny, Denali, earlier this year, and I'm still having those sad days from time to time. Just be gentle with yourself and know that the best way to honor your dog's life and the love she has for you is to take good care of yourself and your health--in other words, though it's really hard not to cheat when you're feeling so sad, remember that she would want you healthy and do your best to stay on plan. :hug: We're sending lots of good thoughts your way.

Not sure if Goob is still on anymore, but I must say, for those of you who end up in situations like hers, that you should definitely give SBD at least four weeks of trying before giving up because you think it's not working. You need to get past the point where cravings are still an issue (usually 3-5 days for most people) and try adding things like oatmeal back into your diet before you know if it's working for you. In addition, if you don't have much to lose, were on a really healthy eating plan before, or both, you may not lose much in Phase 1, but that doesn't mean that you won't lose once you move into Phase 2, so hang in there and really give the Beach an honest try before deciding whether to continue with it.

Looks like a great bean recipe, Gothik! Could you please post the recipe in the recipe forum and then link to it here? Otherwise, the recipe will be lost in this thread and no one will be able to find it when this sinks on to the next page. :thanks:

SillyFluff
10-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Another rough crazy day. Didn't eat breakfast because nothing tasted right to me. Nothing at all. I tried eggs, threw them out. I tried string cheese and veggies, that went in the garbage. So i just opened a can of diet sierra mist and headed to work. THEN i get to work and forgot about this whole seniors day so I spent the morning babysitting (along with about 8 other teachers) 300+ seniors. By the time I got back up to the front office, it was time for me to go monitor 3rd lunch. After that I had a meeting across town at another school. Needless to say i was STARVING so I ate what I had on me for emergencies. Sadly, it happened to be something that is WAY off plan but I had to eat because I felt like I was gonna fall out. So I ate a poptart (atleast its the last one) which I know what bad, but it held me over. I need to pack OP snacks for work. Just with the problem last night and everything my mind wasn't there. I did eat something when I got home though, a bowl of homemade chilli (kidney beans, chili beans, black beans, NSA tomato sauce, LEAN gr beef, reduced fat cheddar and a spoon of FF sour cream) My belly is much happier now.
I'm supposed to go walking with a friend at the park while her son practices today but its rainy and cold...worried I'm gonna get sick...

WannaBFit47
10-15-2009, 01:13 AM
Hi, everyone! :wave:

Doing well here.

Sorry about your dog, Fluff! I know that was a sad day! I had my cat, who was 15 yrs old, put to sleep recently due to cancer. I still grieve for her and miss her so much. I had her her entire 15 yrs.

What are you all doing for workouts? I run but am finding my speed is really suffering the past couple of days. I also do weight training and kickboxing type workouts.

I had horrible gas today:o Felt like my insides were all twisted! I know it's from an overload of veggies, but holy cow! It was painful even just to walk!

Gothik, good luck on your weigh in in the morning! I'm anxious to hear how you did!

SillyFluff
10-15-2009, 07:48 AM
Well i was supposed to start walking with a friend but its been rainy everyday this week so far and I can't afford to get sick. I tried to do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred becuase it is on my Exercise TV on Demand but it wasn't working right. GUuess I'm gonna have to break down and go buy it. Hopefully it won't be rainy today and I can go walk at the park with my friend. I'll let yall know..

Here is the menu for today:
B: 1/2 c black beans, 1/2 c NSA salsa, 1/4c RF cheddar cheese
AM Snack: (if I get a minute) 2 string cheese and turkey pepperoni (srving size)
Lunch: 2 turkey dogs (yea I know they are processeed but its all I had time to cook) 2/3 c cauliflower, sprinkle RF cheddar cheese
PM Snack: bell peppers ( I don't measure these, I just grab a bunch from the bag and cut them up)
Dinner: Hamburger (lean beef) cooked in onions, cauliflower with cheese
Desert: Crustless Lemon Pie (its actually good...just texture is a little wierd).

My stomach has been acting up so I'm trying to go easy onsome things.

Ruthxxx
10-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Aw, Fluff, it's so hard to lose a pet. I've been through it many times and it sure doesn't get easier. I checked your menu and see cheese four times. I know there is no limit on it according to the Phase I list but it can add up in calories and inhibit weightloss. You are also missing dairy - cheese is considered a protein, not dairy, on this plan. It may help your stomach to add yogurt and milk. Be nice to your body.

gothik butterfly
10-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Weighed in this morning.... at the supposed end of week 2 for me. Not only did I not lose, I gained. I'm very unhappy right now.

I'm not sure why.. could be that my TOM starts today, could be the fact that most of what i've eaten since Monday is chili... could be too much cheese.. I'm guessing water retention overall. BUT with a GAIN and no loss... I can't imagine I'm retaining THAT much water.

Oh well... I'm adding in that damn apple every other day this week though... and moving to 1.5. I think I'll have to modify my loss goals. I should have known this would happen... my body is a pain in the rear end.

cottagebythesea
10-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Gothick, what a big disappointment! But you're right in thinking that it may be due to TOM. That plays a big factor in what the scale says. I think it's a good idea to take your measurements before you start on Phase 1, as you can really see the difference after two clean weeks. Have you noticed your clothes feeling loser? Hang in there! If anything, at least you know you are eating much healthier, and you will see a loss soon.
Enjoy that apple, and remember to embrace Phase 2 slowly.

blessedwithsarah
10-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi everyone! Can I join in? I've been doing WW for years and years. I was successful and actualy hit my goal weight about 5 years ago. I've been gaining lately and have been really struggling for about a year with WW. So, I decided to really make a change to see if it gets me going. I did SBD a long, long time ago. I also follow Suzanne Sommers program -- both were successful. I've printed a bunch of things from this site and I'm going to pull out my old SBD book tonight and figure out what I need to buy to get started this weekend.

Question -- for dairy, is the focus low fat rather than fat free?

Looking forward to starting and getting to know you all!!

SillyFluff
10-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Well I have alot of issues with most dairy...cheeses in small amounts are about all I can handle. :( so I try to take that as my dairy. I also take calcium supplements. Ive not gotten the balls to try soy milk yet. My mom said I should try skim first and see if that gives me issues...right now I believe we have 1 % and my stomach rejects it.

SillyFluff
10-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Well theres some change for my menu for today:
No AM snack (didn't have time)
PM Snack: Added a wedge of laughing cow cheese 2 strips turkey bacon (dad cooked some while I was at work and saved me some)
Dinner: No chees on cauliflower just 1/2 tbs of ICBINB and a pinch of salt

cottagebythesea
10-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi everyone! Can I join in? I've been doing WW for years and years. I was successful and actualy hit my goal weight about 5 years ago. I've been gaining lately and have been really struggling for about a year with WW. So, I decided to really make a change to see if it gets me going. I did SBD a long, long time ago. I also follow Suzanne Sommers program -- both were successful. I've printed a bunch of things from this site and I'm going to pull out my old SBD book tonight and figure out what I need to buy to get started this weekend.

Question -- for dairy, is the focus low fat rather than fat free?

Looking forward to starting and getting to know you all!!

:welcome2: Paula! We're happy to make room here on The Beach for you. :)
We can have either fat free or lowfat dairy products, but most of us find the fat free cheeses to be rather tasteless and artificial, so we prefer to use lowfat. I do prefer fat free milk, though.

SillyFluff
10-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Menu for today:
B: 5 mini bell peppers 1 wedge laughing cow cheese
AM Snack: 1 cheese stick and serving of turkey pepperoni (I probably won't get to eat it)
L: Lean Hamburger cooked with onion, 1/2c cauliflower w/ 1/2tbs of ICBINB and sprinkle salt
PM Snack: Haven't decided yet probably some veggies
D: Baked chicken breast, lima beans and MAYBE (if I get out to the grocery store) a small salad

I hope its not bothering you all that I post my menu. it helps me stay on track. If its a bother, I cn start a new thread for that. :) You guys are awesome.

cottagebythesea
10-16-2009, 08:18 AM
Fluff, of course you can post your menu here! That's part of what this thread is all about! :hug: I know you have a problem with dairy, but have you tried the lactose-free dairy products? I like to use unsweetened almond milk, and there are also soy, rice, and other alternatives. It is important to incorporate dairy into your menu, too.

blessedwithsarah
10-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Cottage - thanks for the welcome!

Well, I read through my old SDB book and the new food lists posted here. I've got a list of things I need to buy on Tuesday (my next shopping day) but I have basics to get me started. So I'm starting today! I'm actually excited for the change. Its going to be tough not having fruit for the next 2 weeks -- I have a draw full of apples we picked a few weeks ago. But on the bright side -- I'm going to make a bean dip for veggies which I have not done in a very long time.

So, my menu for today (what i know so far):
BF - spinach quiche
snack - celery with laughing cow cheese
lunch - salad, left over chicken breast with tomato sauce (made the chicken and sauce last night to fit on this plan!)
snack - either a cheese stick or 15 almonds.

Not sure on dinner -- but thats everything I've packed and brought to work with me today.

BBL

blessedwithsarah
10-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Oh, one question I did have after reading through things last night. Are there OK canned soups? I would think on phase 1 nothing with noodles or rice, but what about tomato or lentil or veggie?

cottagebythesea
10-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Paula, there are some canned soups that are OK for Phase 1, but make sure you read the ingredients carefully. And beware of the sodium! I like the Progresso Lentil and the Black Bean soups.

blessedwithsarah
10-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Is there a general rule of thumb to follow to determine which canned soups are allowed? Grams of sugar vs carb?

Thanks for the help!

Ruthxxx
10-16-2009, 03:38 PM
No real rule but you need to check the contents carefully for ingredients that don't meet Phase I standards - corn, potatoes, carrots, peas as well as noodles and rice.

blessedwithsarah
10-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Got through day 1 with no problems at all. It was very easy to follow! Now on to day 2.

Heidi58
10-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Hello everyone - I missed you!
My router died and life was too busy to shop for another one til today. (I was at WalMart when they opened this morning. :p) I can check email and things from school, but all forums are blocked so I couldn't check in here and I've really missed instant messaging with my kids. Neither one bothers to phone much but they say hi when they see my IM light come on at night. lol

I'm rushing today, heading to Massachusetts to visit my folks but I wanted to pop in and see how everyone is doing.

I finished phase 1 yesterday, lost exactly 9 pounds. I'm eating whatever my mom fixes for lunch today *gulp* so I stuck to my phase 1 lima beans, V8 and a cheese stick breakfast today. lol

The bad news is that I had a little setback with my foot - walking too much too soon I guess - so I haven't done much walking at all the past few days. I've been able to do the stretching/intro portion of my pilates video so I haven't had to totally give up exercising, but haven't done any cardio.

Have a great weekend!

beachgal
10-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Heidi, great work with P1! Sorry about your router. That can be so frustrating! Will your mom cook something SBD-safe for lunch?

I'm reading SBD: Supercharged right now, and just finished the section on doing too much exercise too soon and how it leads to injuries. Take care of your foot and take it easy on things that hurt it until it heals. The pilates is a great workout and I think some of the exercises (like The Hundred) should count as cardio!!! :faint:

strega*luna
10-19-2009, 01:31 PM
I have tried other "diets" and finally must admit (after gaining back 25 pounds, and then some!) that the SB diet (with a couple of my own modifications) is the only way for me. So, here I am, starting fresh on a Monday morning, back on the Beach! :carrot:

weezle
10-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Ph1D1 here. I didn't get "breakfast" til later in the day due to testing, but I'm writing it down anyway. Here's what I've had so far/what's planned for today:

B: LS V8, big salad with cottage cheese
S: Cheese stick.
L: Salad made of sauteed veggies, black beans, and edamame
S: Pistachios
D: Fake burger with pepper jack cheese, veggie soup

Making the veggie soup tonight, as well as the Bean Muffins so I have something to eat with my fake sausage patties and V8 in the mornings.

Heidi58
10-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Heidi, great work with P1! Sorry about your router. That can be so frustrating! Will your mom cook something SBD-safe for lunch?

I'm reading SBD: Supercharged right now, and just finished the section on doing too much exercise too soon and how it leads to injuries. Take care of your foot and take it easy on things that hurt it until it heals. The pilates is a great workout and I think some of the exercises (like The Hundred) should count as cardio!!! :faint:

My mom NEVER cooks SBD safe. lol
But it worked out well, they let us take them out for lunch so I was all set. I had a grilled chicken breast and a salad. It was delicious and didn't make it obvious that I'm dieting. :)

I have the old book and did so well with it last time that I haven't bought the super charged book. My son ordered me the exercise dvd though, as an early Christmas present. I'm anxious for it to arrive.

I injured my foot early this summer, and it's taking so long to get back to normal. I'm on my feet all day at school so that's part of it too, I suppose.

I'm officially done with phase 1 but so far I've still been eating ph 1. It's my oatmeal I've been missing but I've got early bus duty this week so it's easiest to just eat cheese sticks and a V-8 in the car on the way to school since I have to leave 30 minutes earlier this week. I'm REALLY going to enjoy that bowl of oats when I finally get to it.... lol

Have a great day friends! :)

Heidi58
10-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Ph1D1 here. I didn't get "breakfast" til later in the day due to testing, but I'm writing it down anyway. Here's what I've had so far/what's planned for today:

B: LS V8, big salad with cottage cheese
S: Cheese stick.
L: Salad made of sauteed veggies, black beans, and edamame
D: Fake burger with pepper jack cheese, veggie soup

Making the veggie soup tonight, as well as the Bean Muffins so I have something to eat with my fake sausage patties and V8 in the mornings.That lunch salad sounds really good! :)

blessedwithsarah
10-20-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm now on day 5 of P1. Doing well. I really have not had many cravings at all -- this does surprize me. ;) I'm happy!

cottagebythesea
10-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Paula, :bravo: Isn't it amazing how Phase 1 banishes your cravings? :)

:welcome2: stega*luna! I'm glad you're back!

Heidi, be sure not to stay on Phase 1 much longer! You're body needs the added nutrients that you'll get on Phase 2, where the true weightloss begins.

Everyone here is doing so well, and it's great to hear from you! :cp:

raebeaR
10-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Another re-starter here... also on Day 5.

I marked the 2-year anniversary of my husband's death this past Saturday, and somehow, now, the time to move forward finally feels right. Being fat gave me a safe cocoon for grieving, but it's time to get on with life as it is before me -- not as I wish it could be.

So far so good. I love SB because it makes so much sense, it's easy to follow and it addresses the physical cravings that can throw me so far off track. The emotional ones, well... that's up to me, but I'm feeling much more ready to handle those now. If so, you're all stuck with me for a long time till I get this tonnage off me!!

May even pick up my guitar again this week. :)

Rae

weezle
10-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Ph1D2 -

B: LS V8, fake sausage patty
S: cheese stick
L: Veggie soup, fake bacon, cottage cheese
D: Taco Salad w/ romaine, RF refried beans, soy crumbles, LF cheese, LF sour cream, salsa
S: 2 SF Reese's PB Cups

Heidi58
10-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Heidi, be sure not to stay on Phase 1 much longer! You're body needs the added nutrients that you'll get on Phase 2, where the true weightloss begins.
Has that changed from the original book? (That's the only one I have.) As I recall it says you can stay in ph 1 longer than 2 weeks if you wish, but the danger is that you'll get bored....

I'm eating well and taking a multi-vitamin so for now I feel comfortable that I'm getting the nutrients I need. I'll probably start adding over the weekend. This is an amazingly busy week for me with early bus duty and staff training after school til 6 pm. It's easiest to just stick with what I know this week. lol

blessedwithsarah
10-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi all! Its day 7 of p1 for me. Tomorrow is my wi day. So far the scale is moving down. I was having a horrible time with my weight jumping all over the place - it was very discouraging. But is no longer bumping up, its steady and moving down!! WOO HOO.. The better thing is I feel totally in control!!

My new favorite night time snack -- I mix 2 big spoonfuls of low fat ricotta with 2 big spoonfuls of plain/ff yogurt, add splenda and coco powder. Mix it all up. YUMMY. Very filling and chocolate.

Hope you all have a great day.

gothik butterfly
10-22-2009, 12:59 PM
so what do I do with this greek yogurt stuff? I've always had blueberry activia (my fav) but I bought the plain greek yogurt. I'm a bit worried I won't like it.

meelsie
10-22-2009, 01:03 PM
I HATE plain greek yoghurt by itself -far too bland for me- but it's great stirred through hot dishes to add a bit of a creamy flavour.

murphmitch
10-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Gothik, I add Splenda, vanilla and any other flavoring you like. I have coconut extract or cinnamon in mine. You could try a little SF jello powder to it. I also add greek yogurt to a baked apple in Phase II. I eat it daily. Much higher protein than regular yogurt. Many use it like sour cream because it has the same consistency.

meelsie
10-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks Anne- i'm braindead today- that's what I was trying to say. Like sour cream. The vanilla etc is a great idea because it's just horrible on it's own, in my opinion.

gothik butterfly
10-22-2009, 01:55 PM
hmm interesting. thanks ya'll i will try those ideas. can i add fruit, too? (i'm in phase 1.5 lol all I've added into my diet so far is an apple 3x this week. Could I buy some berries instead for next week and add some into the yogurt?

meelsie
10-22-2009, 02:00 PM
You could, I would have it as more berries than anything as it's really quite a savoury taste. The idea of adding a vanilla pod and THEN some berries is enough to make my mouth water, though...!

beachgal
10-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Phase 1 chickies, after receiving suggestions and comments from members, we mods have decided that it will be most helpful to everyone if we have one thread dedicated to questions, tips, and strategies for staying on plan in every phase. Here's that thread: link (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/south-beach-diet/184866-plan-thread-week-10-19-staying-plan-all-phases.html). Just click on it and start posting! :D