Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 10-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Grooming question re: facial hair

I am wincing as I write this, I feel so embarrassed. I wish I could post this under another name!

I have a "mustache" and straggly hairs on my chin. I have been shaving my chin hairs--and the ones under my nose.

I was shaving about every other day, because I just hated to feel them all scratchy on my chin.

I am aware that shaving does not affect the actual hair growth: it just produces a blunt edge which looks "bigger" that hair removed in other ways. Nonetheless, I've decided to try cold wax.

Here's my question: how long should I let the hair grow out? My chin is driving me nuts, already (I started Monday). And I don't really want to go out in public, like this!

And another question: Once I do wax, how long do I need to wait again?

Thanks for your help.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/246/110

Height: 5'3"

I have a mustache and chin hairs 2 even under the chin area I really hate it and I use the hair removing cream which only lasts like 2 or 3 days. I really hate it and of course its emerassing I try to avoid ppl I dnt see often on those days! tried the sally hensen microwave wax and it actually works for about a week then if I use it again a few days later it won't work as good so I would think u have to wait until the hair grows out enough for the wax 2 hold....... I've never tried cold wax though! Which one did u use and does it work?
cherry7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I found a little AA-battery electric trimmer at the drugstore that's designed specially for facial hair - the head is only about 1/2" long. That little sucker actually does a fabulous job! Only drawback is that on a dark cold morning when you're half asleep, it looks an awful lot like the electric toothbrush, and no matter which way you mix those two up, it ain't pretty ...
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #4  
Starting over

Quote:
it looks an awful lot like the electric toothbrush, and no matter which way you mix those two up, it ain't pretty ...
ew, ouch!

Quote:
works for about a week
Oh blast, I was afraid of that! I may be able to do my chin hairs already--but I'd hate to go through the pain and not have it work.

I've never used this wax before (or any wax) so I don't know what to expect! It's called Persian Cold Wax Hair Removal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg persian-cold-wax-hair-remover_1222446169_LRG.jpg (33.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
I found a little AA-battery electric trimmer at the drugstore that's designed specially for facial hair - the head is only about 1/2" long. That little sucker actually does a fabulous job! Only drawback is that on a dark cold morning when you're half asleep, it looks an awful lot like the electric toothbrush, and no matter which way you mix those two up, it ain't pretty ...

Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: see WT

Height: 5'6''

a painful subject for me. i have really strong hair on chin and neck and, like cherry mentioned, it makes me stay at home many times i would like to be somewhere else. i'm even afraid i lost some friends due to 'i can't come see you today because...' and then make something up day after day. i have had this problem for most of my life (i'm 33 now, and this hit me at the age of 14 or so) so it is painful and frustrating to even write about it.
anyway, back to removing the hair: i use warm wax. i live in europe and you can buy it here in specialized shops, don't know if this kind of wax is available in the US. i wax every two to three weeks, since the hair grows faster in the summer and much slower in the winter. warm wax spreads the pores and makes it easier to pull the hair out and once it's pulled out, i usually go ten days (less in the summer) without it showing at all. it grows slowly, it takes more then a week for it to grow long enough i can wax it again. it has to be at least three to four milimeters long (0.12 inches according to google ), i'm afraid. drives me crazy.
i would, however, like to stress out that it is very much individual how long it will take for the hair to grow long enough, it depends on how active your hormones are, how strong the hair is... but it really has to be pretty long to be ready for waxing.
quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/246/110

Height: 5'3"

Yep I knw the boxes usualy say it lasts up to 6wks but It doesn't for me, I think it is worth the PAIN though. Once u get used to it its not so bad. The worst part is pulling it off Good Luck
cherry7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #8  

Check some local salons. It's really cheap to have it done (like $6 for upper lip) and WORTH IT! I tried cold wax, it's torture. Warm wax stings when they do it, and I got red in that area for about 2 hours. Then smooth as silk for over a month. Worth every penny.
Also I've had Indian "threading" done to my eyebrows and they never looked better. It also stings a little, but if you can find a salon in your area that does the traditional Indian threading, ask about it. It's also pretty inexpensive, I think I paid $15 for my eyebrows, and they looked great.
But for upper lip/chin hair, I think waxing in a salon is the best way to go. Call around for prices; and if you do it, let us know how it goes.

Also, the hair on my face got lighter and less dense the more I had it waxed. I don't really even have to do it any more. Don't know if it's like that for everyone, though.

Last edited by Morrobay1990; 10-01-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Morrobay1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #9  
Starting over

Quote:
Also, the hair on my face got lighter and less dense the more I had it waxed.
This is what I'm hoping will happen. Shaving nearly everyday (and I haven't even gone through menopause, yet) was just getting me down.

I will let you all know.
If I survive.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I doubt that there's a woman out there that doesn't deal with the problem of facial hair and other sensitive areas

My advice is DONT"T DO THIS YOURSELF! It's really easy to pull off the strips the wrong way and cause a rash, especially if you have sensitive skin. Go to a salon, they usually do it in places where they do manicures and pedicures. It's not too expensive to do a lip wax, anywhere between $5-12 at most. It's totally worth it and lasts for a few weeks. I don't know anyone who waxes more frequently than a month so you should be fine.... you look like you have fine blondish hair anyway and your regrowth will be very fine like baby hair probably.

I tweeze the little hairs on my chinny chin chin. I avoid harsh chemicals at all costs because my skin is very sensitive so avoid those smelly creams that don't do anything anyway. I do have some friends with very dark hair that don't remove their lip hair they just bleach them.

I'm a big believer in threading. I only do my eyebrows though, the pain is too much to think of doing my lip.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #11  

Height: 5'6"

I wax at home with hot wax. Not the kind with strips, just the really hard hot wax. I've yet to give myself a rash, even with sensitive skin. I wax about every 3 weeks, because my hair grows fast and at different times.

If you're going to wax at home, I suggest trying it somewhere other than your face first. Your leg, a spot on your upper arm, etc. Just so you can get a feel for how to do it.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #12  
Really gonna do it!!

S/C/G: 215/209/155

Height: 5'7"

I hate to be dense...but what is threading?
DoubleDomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #13  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Threading...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threading_(epilation)

And it hurts!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I use the hot wax at home too. It's cheap and more convenient than going to a salon for the same service. I am very pleased with the results and sometimes I even do my sideburns.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #15  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I use Nair and it actually does work if you do it right. I have used cold wax, strips, and hot wax. I think the salons do the best job, but I like to do it at home because of the embarrassment issue. No matter what you do, it will hurt a bit. I recommend using a salon just to get a feel for it.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote